Red Riding Hood~ A Contest Entry

Red Riding Hood~ A Contest Entry

 

Minhee's POV

 

I let out barks of laughter in my wolf form as Red Riding Hood once again, tried capturing me. Was he for real? Did he have that much hope into capturing me? A werewolf of all animals? Well, I guess it’s to be expected. After all, he certainly didn’t know I was one. It was a secret. To him, I was just another dumb wolf that was slightly smarter than the other ones that was also worth the capture.

Too bad I have no intention of letting him do that.

“Get back here!” he yelled, running to catch up to me, his gun flailing wildly around.

I ignored him and kept running through the forest until there was a dead end, a very large tree blocking my path. Hm, I wonder how this will end, I mused to myself silently. Definitely not how he’s imaging it.

He smirked cockily as he finally caught up. “Looks like I have you cornered. After all these years. Say goodbye.” He pointed his gun at me.

My ears twitched annoyingly. So he really was going to kill me. And after I saved his life, those many years ago…

 

~Flashback~

 

I took my usual walk in my wolf form through the path I always took in my wolf form. Suddenly, my ears pricked up as I heard screams. Concerned I rushed to the site.

A mother and father, profusely bleeding, were trying helplessly to defend against a bear. The father was holding a stick in front of him trying to protect the mother who was clutching her young boy, he, who was unconscious at the moment. Perhaps he only fainted. It was obvious that the father no chance of survival for the angry bear simply swatted away the stick and attacked him.

The mother shrieked and her eyes looked around wildly before resting on me. Somehow, she knew I didn’t mean any harm and pleaded for me to help them.

I nodded, instantly pitying them. There was absolutely no hope for the mother and the father, but the boy… Maybe there’s hope for him. I ran and leaped onto the bear, biting into its neck as hard as I could, drawing blood. I bit several times until the bear let go of the father and drop dead. I panted and jumped off, and walked slowly towards the family.

The father was already dead and the mother…almost as well. She saw me and smiled weakly. “Thank you,” she whispered and motioned towards her son. “Please keep him safe.”

I nodded and reverted back to my human self, with the exception of my ears and tail. I was only seven at the time, probably younger than the boy, but I was more mature than my age indicated. So, I had the maturity and the looks of an eleven year old. “I promise.”

She gave one more smile before she died.

I sighed and pulled the sleeping boy into my arms and cradled him. He had a stricken look on his face. I whispered words of comfort and at last, his face relaxed and his breathing became calmer.

I put him on my back and carried him back to the nearest village. I pondered whether or not I should go in, but then, if the villagers saw me, they’d get a heart attack. So what to do…?

My ears twitched as I heard someone coming. I gently laid him down against the gate that guarded the village and hid in the trees. I saw an old couple walking to the gate, but then they saw the boy and rushed towards him. He woke up.

 

~Flashback End~

 

I slightly smiled at that memory. He was adorable when he was younger. I’ve watched him grow up through all these years. Not to mention, I grew up as well. It’s been ten years. He’s grown up to be a handsome man.

Too bad he blames me for his parent’s death.

The villagers found his parent’s bodies and despite finding a bear carcass, they figured that I was the one who killed them. And thus, he sought out revenge towards me. Me, who saved his life. But, it is what it is. Now, back to the situation on hand.

He said he was going to kill me, but I could tell that he was hesitating on pulling the trigger, like something was pulling him back.

“You can’t kill me, can you?” my voice coolly asked him.

He jumped, and stared at me with wide eyes. “Did you just speak?!”

I nodded. “Of course I did. Who else would? Jung Yong Hwa.” I purposely drew his name out. “Code Name, Red Riding Hood. Hunter of the wolves. Parents that were thought to be killed by a wolf, but well…” I simply sat on the ground and looked up to him with expecting eyes.

He froze. His mouth was opened to say something, but no words came out. He scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion. “Who…are you? What are you? How do you know all of this?! And what do you mean that a wolf supposedly killed my parents? I know they were! And by you!” he accused.

I sat there calmly and looked him in the eye. “I did not kill them. It was all a misunderstanding. And me? I am a werewolf and I can turn into a human. That is why I can speak. I know the truth.”

“What truth? There is none. I know what I know. And I know that you’re lying to me.” He glared at me.

I sighed sadly. “Believe what you want, but I speak the truth.” And with that, I changed into my human form. It wasn’t a painful change-just a weird feeling. Like it doesn’t hurt, but it isn’t very comfortable either. Though, by now, I didn’t feel a thing. My claws retracted and my paws changed back into hands. The structure of my spine straightened and I was on my hind legs that soon changed into human ones. My long curling hair fell around my waist. I flicked my hair annoyingly out of my eyes and stared up at him, a smug look on my face.

His jaw dropped and his face turned a million shades of red. I chuckled a little. “Do you believe me now?”

He was still at a loss of words. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn’t wearing much clothing. Just, you know, a tank top and shorts. Yeah, whenever I changed into my wolf form, my clothes sort of morphed with me. “What’s wrong? Wolf got your tongue?” I laughed at my horrible pun. “Don’t tell me… You’ve never seen that much skin on a girl?!” I fake gasped.

He glared at me, but he was also blushing, so that made it adorable. Kekeke. He’s so cute when he was flustered and mad. “S-shut up!”

I laughed. “But you didn’t deny it, so it’s true~” I said in a singsong voice.

“I-it’s not!” he tried protesting, but I knew it was a lie.

Suddenly, I turned serious. “Never mind that now. Now that you see that I am human, would you still have the heart to kill me, an innocent girl?”

He rolled his eyes and snorted. “You hardly come off as innocent. I don’t care if you’re human, animal, or an alien. It doesn’t change the fact that you killed my parents.”

“I told you that I didn’t kill them! Why can’t you believe me?!” I demanded.

“All of the villagers told me it was done by an animal! A bear was found dead with my parents! I could hardly believe that the bear killed my parents and then committed suicide!” he shot back.

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe the bear did kill your parents, and maybe I killed the bear to save you?!” I yelled back.

He paused and got that y stupid confused look on his face again as my words slowly sunk in.

He took a long time for a response. “Tch. You’re pathetic. No one from the village was even there to witness it. They didn’t know. But what’s the use of reasoning with you? You won’t listen, so I won’t even bother wasting my time.” I changed back to my wolf form and scampered away, giving him one glance as I passed him.

 

“So you told him about us?” my best friend, Minhyuk asked.

We were sitting around in our hideout that was excluded from the world. No one knew about this place except for us. It was underground, so I was a little sad about that since there were no windows for any fresh, bright light, but if we tried making a hideout up in the trees, we’d be found in a heartbeat.

I shrugged. “Well, it accidentally slipped out, so what the hey? Might as well tell him. I even transformed in front of him.”

“And how did he react? I bet he had a nosebleed,” Jonghyun, my other best friend snickered.

I laughed. “No, he didn’t, but he was close to doing it.” I sobered. “But Yong Hwa didn’t believe me when I said that I hadn’t killed his parents.”

“He’s an idiot,” Jonghyun said. “And you’re still going to protect him? What if he still wants to kill you?”

“Well, I made a promise with his mother. I’m not going to break my word to her. And if he wants to kill me, then so be it. I will not get myself killed, though, if that’s what you’re talking about.” I nodded my head at my words.

“Well that’s a relief. Wouldn’t wanting our best friend to be dead now.” Minhyuk smiled.

“Aw, you’re so cute!” I pinched his cheeks.

 

Yong Hwa’s POV

 

The wolf turned into a girl?” my best friend, Jung Shin inquired incredulously.

I nodded solemnly. “She did! But the weird thing is, was that she kept saying that she didn’t kill my parents. I don’t know if I should believe her. She was so serious. You could hardly doubt her. Maybe she’s telling the truth.”

“Was she hot?” he asked.

I rolled my eyes and smacked the back of his head. “Of course you’d ask that. But… she was beautiful.” I blushed as an image of her popped into my head.

“Ooh, someone’s in love~” he teased.

I rolled my eyes. “Maybe I am. But that doesn’t change the fact that she might have killed my parents. She said that she held the truth, so maybe if I asked her, then the truth will be revealed.”

“How are you going to talk to her? From what you’ve explained so far, you’ve only called her a liar. I doubt she liked being called that. Also, where are you going to find her? She could be anywhere!” He continued to add to the pile of questions.

“Gah! Are you trying to help or discourage me?!” I yelled at him, giving an exasperated look.

“Er… Sorry hyung.” He gave me an apologetic look.

I sighed. “It’s fine. Now how to find her…” I mused to myself.

“If you’re looking for her, then you can find her at the edge of the forest where her grandmother lives. She’s supposed to visit her tomorrow,” Jung Shin said.

I narrowed my eyes. “And how would you know that?”

“Ha ha… About that… Well, I’m a werewolf too.” He smiled sheepishly. “And she’s my friend along with a few others. They told me.”

“Why am I not surprised,” I muttered to myself. “At the edge of the woods you say? I’ll just make a surprise visit. Wait, what was her name?”

“…Choi Minhee…”

 

Minhee’s POV

 

“I’m going now!” I called over my shoulder. I pulled the cloak tightly against me and put the dark hood over my head to obscure any view of my ears and tail.

“Okay! Come home soon and don’t get hurt!” I heard Minhyuk yell in a distance.

I rolled my eyes. “You have my promise!”

And with that, I started my stroll to grandmothers. Things were peaceful right now. I couldn’t help but let my thoughts wander over to Yong Hwa. He…still blames me. Why? But, I guess it’s to be expected. After all, I can’t really prove him wrong. That thought, for some reason, saddened me. But then a new thought came to mind.

Did I like him? I blushed. I guess that was a yes. But what difference did it make? He hated me. For something I didn’t do. Maybe it’s for the best. Why would he like someone like me? Who wasn’t even human? I sighed and continued walking.

I reached grandmas in a matter of minutes and knocked gently on the door.

“Grandmother? Are you there? It’s me, Minhee.”

“Minhee-ah? Is that you? Come in.” For some reason, she sounded…weird. Unlike herself. I wonder why…

I stepped inside and almost burst out laughing. Yong Hwa was lying in the bed my very grandmother used, all in “disguise” wearing one of her gowns. Did he not realize that I would be able to recognize him in a heartbeat?

But I kept a straight face. “Hello, grandmother. How are you today?”

“Oh, I’m fine dear. How are you?” His voice impersonation was very poor.

“I guess I’m okay,” I murmured softly. Then, something came to mind. Where was grandmother? He didn’t…kill her, did he? What did he want?

“Minhee, I heard that you killed a young boy’s parents somewhere around ten years ago. Can you tell me more about that?” he asked kindly.

Ah. So that’s what he wants. Well, might as well give it to him. “Well, grandmother. I was just strolling around the forest, as you know I always do. Then, I heard screaming, so I went to check out what it was. There was a family in trouble: a father, a mother, and their son. A bear was attacking them. The mother was holding her son tightly while the father tried to defend them. But, it was futile and the father was dying. In desperation, the mother pleaded me to help them. And, I did, by killing the bear. By then, the father had already died. With the mother’s last few words, I made a promise to her to always protect her son. And, after that ordeal, I took the unconscious boy, for he had fainted during the whole thing and brought him to the nearest village where an elderly couple took him in. I’ve been watching over him since.” I finished my story.

“I…see.” He forgot to disguise his voice and he realized that quickly. He fake coughed and continued talking. “And that’s the truth?”

“When do I ever lie?” I retorted and sighed “But you know, there’s something that’s been troubling me, grandmother.”

“What is it dear?” he asked.

“Well, there’s this boy I’ve met recently-yesterday actually. And, I think I may have developed feelings for him,” I said softly.

“Oh, really? Who is it? What’s the boy’s name?” he inquired, barely able to contain his excitement.

“I’ll give you a hint. With his full name, it has a J in it.” I smiled innocently.

 

Yong Hwa’s POV

 

I waited anxiously for her to say it. To say my name. I finally found out about the truth. And, I think I love her. There’s no one else that could have a J in his name, right? I wracked my brain for a list of names and found no one.

“What is it, dear? You making me very anxious.”

 

Minhee’s POV

 

I snickered inwardly. He must really want to know.

I “blushed”. “Well, okay. His name is Lee Jung Shin!” I exclaimed happily.

“What?! You like that guy?! Wha…What’s so great about him?! You met him yesterday?!” He didn’t even bother disguising his voice anymore.

Unable to contain it anymore, I burst out laughing and started clutching my sides from how much it hurt from laughing so much. Nothing, in all of the seventeen years in my life compared to this.

“Relax, grandmother. Or should I say, Yong Hwa. I’m just messing with you!” I wiped tears from my eyes.

“You knew it was me?! Since when?!” He pointed at himself with a dumbfounded look on his face.

I nodded. “Since the moment I stepped through the door. And don’t worry, I was telling the truth about your parents.”

He nodded. “I could tell. You were telling the truth. And, I’m sorry. I’ve been calling you a liar when I didn’t have much proof.”

“Apology accepted.”

An awkward silence filled the air.

“So… Do you really like Jung Shin?” he asked nervously.

I chuckled and shook my head. “No, I do not. He’s just a friend. Like I said earlier, I was only tricking you. He’s only a friend.” His face washed over with relief. “Why do you ask?” I asked slyly.

He immediately blushed. “A-ah. W-well, I was j-just wondering if t-that was true. I guess w-what ‘m trying to say is…” he stuttered. Aw, so cute!

“I like you too,” I answered for him.

“Y-you do?!” He looked like he couldn’t believe it.

I nodded my head. “Of course! Ever since I met you.” I flushed. “To be honest, I think I love you.”

He let out a sigh of relief. “Well, that’s good. Because I, for sure, love you too.”

I smiled and he hugged me, bringing his lips onto mine. We didn’t get far before a new voice interrupted us.

“YAH! WHAT ARE YOU TWO DOING?! I JUST LEAVE FOR A HALF-HOUR TO GO FOR A WALK AND I COME BACK TO THIS?! TWO TEENAGERS ABOUT TO DO IT ON MY BED, NO LESS! IF YOU’RE GOING TO DO IT, GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! AND YOU, BOY, WHY ARE YOU WEARING MY CLOTHES?! I DIDN’T SAY YOU COULD!” my one and only grandmother, standing at the doorway and giving us looks, especially at Yong Hwa.

“Grandmother!” My face heated up from the embarrassment.

Yong Hwa simply laughed. He grabbed my hand and we ran out of there, dress and all, and let’s just say, we had a very memorable night. ;)


Gah! Finished with it! X_x Actually, I'm proud of myself because I just typed and made it all up today, since my dad said I couldn't go on the computer tomorrow...-___- Anyway, I hoped you liked it! Comment~

Word Count: 3,031