The Night With Her Valentine

The Night With Her Valentine

The energy left in her dissipated. Hands curled inward, tightening the grip. Sweating furiously as the rain kept pouring, Minji knelt, tears blended with the dirt beneath her. Mouth agape and smothered with nothing but misery, she held her head up and mourned in despair. The cold body lay on her lap, clutching the hand of the man, she shook him hard.

“Wake up. Please, wake up.”

Silent plea, almost inaudible but the loud cries echoed in the dark night; crimson stain on her white blouse, road, skin and all parts of his body. Not a single light in his eyes ignited his life, not a pulse responded to the gushing blood in his veins.

“Sehun, look at me…”

Minji’s trembling hand made its way to his face. Cupped his cheek and graze lightly on it, she cooed his name once again, hoping it could bring him back, wishing that her voice could shake him away from a nightmare he had.

“Look at me, Sehun.”

Her voice stern, eyes fixated on him and eyebrows met, like an order given to someone younger, someone with a lower authority.

“That rose you gave me, I have it.”

His eyes were wide open, but it was lifeless. Staring back at her, she couldn’t find him; she couldn’t take a hold on him.

“It is in my room. I put it in the vase.”

Slowly, the red tint on his face faded as it had been washed away by the trickling rain. Pale skin, cold hands and the dead eyes were evident. Choked by her own muffled cries, she shook him harder, calling his name, screaming his name out. The man in her arms did not move and his heart stopped beating. No, her effort wasn’t paid off.

From far away, she could hear the siren coming. Minji brought him closer to her. Lips neared to his ear and she spoke again.

“Happy Valentine’s Day my love,”

She took a deep breath.

“I’m sorry. I’m… sorry. I couldn’t protect you.”

Voices of the many man, the sound of the siren and crowd surrounded her. Her arms were clasped tightly and pulled her away. Not letting it go, she took the body with her. Again, she spoke.

“I love you. I love you Oh Sehun. Remember that.”

Hands reaching out for him and they were separated. Cloaked with an orange blanket, she watched the man of her life being carried away.