Exactly

Until the Sky Falls Down On Me

Chapter1.jpg

Chapter one: Exactly

"I prefer stability over thrills now,” Choi Young Do said boldly.  “Are the helmets over there?” He gently touched a black helmet, revealing the little cut he had on his finger. Her words rang in his ears: “When you get a girlfriend, be nice to her. Don’t trip her just so you can hold her hand.” Choi Young Do frowned, and rubbed the rough little cut.

            “Chicken! 16,100 Won please.”

            Choi Young Do turned around. He was familiar with the sound of the delivery girl’s dialogue, but not the voice. It reminded him of the first time he had saw Cha Eun Sang in the bright yellow chicken delivery shirt. But this time, it was a different girl.

            Like Eun Sang, she wore the chicken delivery girl’s attire; a bright yellow shirt with a brown collar and red and white striped sleeves. Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail with a strand loose, hanging down her forehead. Exactly like Eun Sang.

            She headed out the doorway, walking swiftly and as proudly as Eun Sang had.

Choi Young Do froze still. Eun Sang’s face flashed in his memory, reminding him that she was taken, and that Young Do was just a friend to her.

“We had met earlier than I thought,” Young Do muttered, and recalled the scene where Eun Sang had given him a Band-Aid. Young Do took out the bandage and peeled the paper off the bandage and wrapped it around his finger. For a moment, he just stared at it.

Thank you, Eun Sang. He thought. You helped me end my one-sided first love.

Her image blurred from his mind, and he sprinted towards the exit, going the way the delivery girl had went, forgetting the pain of a one-sided love from the past, and focused on the delivery girl.

Even from a distance, Young Do could see a figure in a yellow shirt, jogging up the street. He smirked, and ran after her.

Everything around Young Do was removed from his sight, and only the girl remained. He went even faster, seeing that she was about to cross another street. He ran as if his life depended on it. Maybe it did, maybe his love life depended on this one moment.

Just as Young Do was about to call to her, a blood red car was racing towards the street where the delivery girl was about to turn.

His eyes widened, and ran even faster. He felt as if everything was going in slow motion, and he was a super hero who was about to save the girl.

“Hey!” Choi Young Do shouted, and ran even faster. His legs suddenly became cramped, and his heart raced a millions miles a minute. He saw as the girl stopped and turned around, just as the car swerved past her; only the side mirror grazed her arm.

Her eyes widened, her arms and legs trembled.

“Whoa,” she muttered. Choi Young Do walked forward and pulled her off the street.

“What’s your name?” He asked, poking her in the arm. He really didn’t know how to comfort her, or if he should ask if she’s okay, or if he should call the police on the red car driver.

“Hea Woo, Song Hea Woo.” She said distantly, still surprised.

“Um…” Young Do looked around awkwardly. “Are-uh- are you okay? Are you hurt?” He walked around her like he was inspecting a machine, and poked her arm. She winced.

“I’m fine,” she whispered. “I have to get back to work; I’m late.”

Young Do watched as she walked away, clutching her arm. It turned black and blue, showing through the sleeve of her uniform. He sighed, and impulsively walked towards Hea Woo, grabbing her unhurt arm.

“Aish! Let go!” She squirmed under his grip. “I have to go to work.”

Young Do slowed down, once again remembering Eun Sang’s words. “Your arm looks hurt. It’s all black and blue,” he said pointing at the wound. “I’ll call your workplace, and take you too my hotel.”

Hea Woo hesitated. He’s not a ert, is he? She thought. He’s not going to do anything to me, right? He doesn’t look like a ert. Then again, he did somehow save my life.

Young Do pulled Hea Woo into his car and drove towards Zeus Hotel.

There was nothing but silence. The humming engine was the only thing heard, creating an awkward ambiance.

Slowly, Young Do glanced over at Hea Woo who was looking out the window. He looked back at the road, then back at Hea Woo. He repeated this again and again.

“What?” Hea Woo shrieked, clearly irritated.

Young Do pursed his lips. “Nothing.”

“Aish, this guy,” Hea Woo muttered, and again looked out the window, only to feel Young Do looking at her again.

“What?” she screeched. “Why are you looking at me?”

Young Do cleared his throat. “Why didn’t you look at the street before crossing? You have to look right, left, then right again, then cross.”

Hea Woo started to say something, but stopped. Why didn’t she look at the street before crossing?

“I-I was late for work,” she stuttered. “I was impulsive, and careless.”

“Safety comes first,” Young Do said calmly, glancing over to Hea Woo. “It takes about 5 seconds just to-”

“Alright! I get it umma!” she screamed. “Am I in kindergarten? Am I not a full grown woman?”

“Not only are you impulsive and careless,” Young Do chuckled as he pulled up to the Zeus hotel parking area, “you’re belligerent too.”

Fumes literally steamed out of Hea Woo’s ears, and the blush in her cheeks was prominent. She climbed out of the car and followed Choi Young Do.

In Hea Woo’s eyes, Zeus hotel was like a beehive; on the outside, the structure looks interesting and pretty, but the inside is bustling with people. Everywhere she looked, everyone was either wearing a tuxedo or a dress, or at least something fancy. Even Young Do was wearing a fancy coat. She looked at her attire.

I probably look like a fly in this swarm of bees, she thought.

As if he were reading her mind, Young Do said, “Let’s go to my room.”