The Beginning of the End

Of Kings and Queens

 

Taeyeon:

 

Occasionally, when I walk into our beautiful campus, it just well, astounds me. Pure beauty and splendour, the rolling green lawn stretches out as far as my eye can see, and the beautiful works of art, also known as the buildings, capture my eye. I’ve always been a er for beauty, be it a delicate dewdrop on a lupin leaf, the majestic works of Leonardo DaVinci, or even something as simple as the rising sun. To others, I live a perfect life, one of beauty and perfection. I’ve been raised to possess only the best, as the heiress of one of the biggest companies in Korea, Kim Taeyeon, I live a life of beauty. Or do I? In our university, we’re the ultimate rulers, the top of the food chain. And by we, I mean my lovely sisters- Jessica, Tiffany, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun. We may not be related by blood, but I do believe our bond runs deep, deeper than anything.

I know the 9 of us are works of beauty. It’s an undeniable fact. Believe me when I say that beauty is nothing but a distraction, though. This word, beauty, is… To the 9 of us, who possess natural beauty, it is nothing but a mere appearance that hinders us. How many times have we had other rich heirs proposing to us in hopes of clinching a beautiful trophy wife and her money? How many times have we had handsome Prince Charmings, to other girls, that is, proposing to us, claiming that the Beauty and her Prince should be reunited? I love beauty, but to me, my own beauty is nothing but a distraction.

And to me, that’s the whole crux of the problem. I simply, have too much beauty in my life. Perhaps it’s time to tell you that in my university, we are the ultimate queens. The queens of beauty, the queens of everything. We hold enough power to crush and snuff out anyone, but we prefer not to do so. Jessica and Tiffany are the American fashionistas who have their own designer label of clothing, “Sarang”. It’s wildly popular and their pieces are a work of art, my number one choice for any sort of dresses for functions. As if they weren’t rich enough, what with their own families being some of the richest in Seoul. Our youngest, Seohyun is the heiress to the world’s second most popular gaming company, Warcraft. The first being Starcraft, its young heir being Cho Kyuhyun. It’s an irony, considering how she’s so innocent and pure that she doesn’t even like these kinds of violent games. Sooyoung, our Shikshin Queen, befitting her title, is the heiress to Choi Foods, the number one producer of microwave food in the world. Hyoyeon’s parents own the world’s top dance company, and she’s a gorgeous dancer herself. Her popping and locking movements captivate everyone, the smooth flow of her slim body like a ripple in a wave, moving easily, that declines and peaks. Yuri and Yoona co-own the top modeling company, and they themselves have the looks and figure for it. Sunny is the heiress to a vitamin company which produces all sorts of healthy vitamins, which explains why our very own sunshine is healthy, happy and glowing every single day.

With my 8 sisters, so much power, influence, and most importantly, beauty in my hands, shouldn’t I be content? Satisfied? But no, I’m not satisfied. And for this, I’m ashamed of myself. A girl who has everything knows not the feeling of contentment. Thinking about it, I always realize that something vital, is missing from my life. But I can never figure out what it is. And I hope I find it soon, for currently, my life feels like a thousand-piece jigsaw puzzle, with just one last important piece missing. And when I’ve found it, hopefully, I’ll find my own perspective in life.

As I’m caught up in my own musings, I realize that my personal maid is knocking on the door, and she’s calling for me to get dressed. Ahh. Yet another function that is so mundane but yet, such a big part of my life.

I get dressed in a dark blue halterneck dress, and after some light makeup and fiddling with my long brown hair, I’m done. As I look in the mirror, I’m outwardly gorgeous, my entire self shining with radiance and confidence like a princess. But I inspect myself more closely, and I realize my eyes are empty. A dark void of nothing. And it scares me. Everything is nothing but an appearance.

 

Leeteuk:

 

Appearances. Once again, this word strikes in my mind as I make my way through the big, expansive grounds of the Kim Family. Everywhere I go, I see young heiresses, dressed up in fancy gowns and jewelry, ready to find themselves a young man of equal social standing, so as to marry themselves off. Honestly, it all reminds me of a chicken ready for slaughter. Do these women not know that their so-called Prince Charming is only a fairytale? And that rich, young, handsome men, will never be faithful to anyone except themselves and their own desires? I speak from experience. Humans. We’re all fickle creatures, and I never believe that anyone will be truly faithful and loyal to me, except possibly, my own brothers. Heechul, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Hankyung, Shindong, Siwon, Ryeowook, Sungmin, Kangin, Yesung, Kibum and Kyuhyun. My affectionate, loving brothers. I adjust my suit impatiently, my tie is falling off after an aggressive attack by a particularly aggressive heiress by the name of Sunye. It shocks me, honestly, how these young women have no sense of shame at all. And it makes me wonder if I’ll ever find my so-called other half at all.

As I walk through the grounds of the Kim Family, I think about what I know of them. They’re the second biggest company in Asia, the first being mine, and their heiress is rumoured to be by the name of Kim Taeyeon. Just by her name, I’m expecting her to be the stereotypical heiress I see almost everyday. I do wonder if she’s beautiful. I’ve seen a lot of beautiful women in my lifetime, and it’s well, tiring me. Too much of anything will never be beneficial, not even beauty. I look at my watch then, and I break into a run. My parents want me to meet them at the mansion of the Kims, and I’m running late. I run, slightly breathless, into the grand foyer of the Kim mansion, and am greeted by the inviting smell of turkey and other dishes that promise to be delectable, crystal chandeliers, soft yellow lights that somehow, make this house so much more warm and inviting, unlike mine. In contrast, the Park mansion is completely white and decorated in the minimalist style, just like how I like it. As I step into the dining room, the first thing that catches my eye is a beautiful woman sitting at the Maplewood table. She’s probably Mrs Kim, as her beauty is breathtaking, but somehow, she exudes a mature and regal aura, more than any other lady I’ve ever seen. My own parents are seated at the opposite end, and they smile at me hesitantly, but I merely look away. Mrs Kim smiles at me then, and takes her husband’s hand.

“Welcome, Leeteuk. Your parents have spoken much of you, and I’m eager to see just how good you are. Do meet my daughter, Taeyeon, will you? I think you two will get along very well.”

I take a seat opposite her and Mr Kim, and she makes a regal sweeping gesture towards the slightly smaller chair beside her, opposite me.

“My daughter is supposed to sit there, but…I think she’s late. I do apologise.”

An expression of annoyance flickers on her stunning face, and I roll my eyes inwardly. As expected, the Kim heiress is a rude, stuckup brat who probably doesn’t give a damn if everyone is present and waiting for her. We hear a pitter-patter of footsteps down the grand staircase then, and everyone turns. It’s the Kim heiress, Taeyeon. As I “check her out”, I suppose she is pretty. She’s rather short, with long flowing brown hair. But I have a feeling I wouldn’t like her attitude very much anyway. She smiles then, and I’m taken aback. Her smile is breathtaking, and lights up her whole face, making her look like…

I mentally slap myself. There’s no shortage of beautiful women in the world, and Kim Taeyeon is just one of them. Nothing special right? She takes a seat opposite me and smiles politely, her eyes showing nothing but disinterest. I’m a little surprised, as normal heiresses would throw themselves at me, the heir to Asia’s biggest company. Perhaps…she’s different?

My parents speak up then, and everyone turns to them.

“Leeteuk, Taeyeon, you two should probably be aware of the fact that we hope for you two to get married.” I really do roll my eyes this time. My parents just love to fix me up with rich heiresses, don’t they?

“However, we aren’t going to force you. We’ll let Leeteuk enroll in the same university as you, and we’ll give you 2 three years. Once the three years are up, tell us how you feel about each other. Take it as…a little experiment. We don’t want arranged marriages that end up in tatters anyway.”

My parents and Taeyeon’s parents smile tiredly, and I know the reason why. My parents are the result of an arranged marriage, and till this day, I know that they do not have any love for each other. I am merely a forced token of their so-called love, a reminder of my mother’s forced pregnancy so as to produce the next Park heir.

I look curiously at the heiress sitting opposite me then, and her face shows nothing. A perfect mask devoid of emotion. One thing you learn as a heir or heiress is to perfect your mask. A mask that divulges nothing, that you can hide behind, something that you can pull out in the blink of an eye to hide yourself from the world. I shrug and ask as nonchalantly as I can,
“When will the transfer take place?”

Our parents look uncomfortably at each other, and Taeyeon’s mother, Mrs Kim, replies gently.

“Well, we do hope it can take place…next week.”

I sigh mentally, but not with too much regret. My old school holds nothing for me anyway. I’ll treat it as a change of environment.

Looking at my watch again and deciding that it’s time to make a graceful exit, I stand up and nod respectfully to all of them.

“I trust that you’ll arrange for the transfer of my brothers too then,  Father, Mother.” My parents nod slightly, and I saunter out. A strange feeling flutters in my heart as I can’t help but think of that young heiress, Taeyeon’s smile, but I shake it away and scan my surroundings to find my brothers, hoping to find them. Knowing them, they’re probably in the lounge of the Kim estate, laughing and drinking together. I quicken my pace, eager to have a good night getting completely wasted, and that’s when I catch a glimpse of familiar brown hair. It’s Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon-sshi!” I call out her name, and she turns around. The smile slips off her face as soon as she sees me, and I almost stagger back from the venom in her gaze. She stalks towards me, fury flashing in her eyes, and I’m a little disgruntled. Did I offend her in my past life? How could such a beautiful woman act this way?

“Yes, Leeteuk-sshi?” She smiles fakely, daggers in her gaze.

“What do you think?” I ask, desperately grasping at straws. I don’t even know why I spoke her name in the first place, but it feels so right to do so, her name rolling off my lips like honey.

She’s smart and knows what I’m talking about, answering,

“I wouldn’t know, but I guess I’ll see you in my school, won’t I? I dearly hope that you won’t intefere with me though. I particularly detest rich young heirs like you who think they can mess around with women and get away with it!” She pokes my chest to emphasize her words, then turns on her heel and walks off, presumably to find her own friends. I’ve heard of them before. The 9 goddesses of SM University, the pride and joy of their parents. Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun. I never knew it was this Taeyeon though. Instead of being angry at her words like I should, I feel almost…amused. But I shrug it off and resume the task at hand. All too soon, I spot Eunhyuk’s blonde hair at the corner of my eye, and walk towards them.

“Hyung!” They shout, as I walk towards them. I’m aware almost every single girl is staring at me, and I roll my eyes again.

Sitting down on the comfortable leather couches, they bombard me with questions and I answer them patiently.

“I went to meet the Kim Family and their daughter, Taeyeon. They hope I’ll marry her, but claim that they won’t force me to.”

Heechul rolls his eyes then, and remarks,

“Hyung, you really know how to choose them ehh?”

“Huh?”

“Kim Taeyeon and her friends are the supreme rulers of SM University. They’re practically goddesses there, and I’d say they’re the female equivalent of us.” He smirks, and I smirk too.

“I know that, my dear Heechul. We have to transfer there, you know. It’s part of my parents’ plan to make Taeyeon and I closer.” They take this news with a pinch of salt, having been moved from country to country, what is moving schools like? Nothing but a piece of cake. But as I think about it, I realize that Heechul is right. In my school, we are the “gods” of the school, much like how Taeyeon and her friends are the goddesses of SM.

 

Jessica:

 

The girls and I sit there, comfortably chatting and stirring our slightly alcoholic beverages, and I smile, albeit absentmindedly. There’s a large, handsome group of men sitting opposite us in Taeyeon’s lounge, and I just have a gut feeling we’ll be meeting them soon. I don’t know why, but they seem to be our kings, much like how we’re their queens. It may seem silly, but they look like the male equivalent of our status in SM. As I study them more closely, I realize that a young, handsome man, is staring at me, just like how I’m staring at him interestedly now. I clear my throat slightly, blush and turn away, only to see Taeyeon approaching us. I’ve known Taeyeon since we were young, and we’re very close, the sister that we never had, both in the same situation as heiresses that never wanted the fame and power. We just clicked, somehow, and the 9 of us have a bond so strong it’s been named the Soshi bond, after Asia’s top girl group Girls’ Generation. It’s rather cute, frankly, and I smile again, as our dongsaengs bombard Taeng with questions.

“Taeyeon unnie, how was it?”

Taeng knows that this meeting is probably to do with Korea’s most wanted heir, the Park heir, Park Leeteuk, or Park Jungsoo, and I am worried about Taeng. I know people like Leeteuk only too well. Word travels, and if my sources are correct, he is a typical playboy, who'll only crush kindhearted Taeyeon’s heart if she falls for him, which frankly, is likely, considering how she is a er for gentle, sweet, charming outwardly men like Leeteuk. Argh. I groanin a frustrated way as I realise that that young man's staring at me. Again. Trying to get him out of my mind, I askTaeng a question.

“Taeng, who’s that group of men sitting over there?” I wave a hand vaguely in their direction.

“Please don’t tell me who I think it is.” Fany says, with some fear in her voice.

“Why, unnie? Are they bad people?” Our sweet maknae asks.

“They aren’t.” Taeyeon answers. “They’re basically the male equivalent of us.” Her gaze falls on someone who looks vaguely like Park Leeteuk, sitting among them. “They’re the notorious playboys, Super Junior.”

“Taeng, you know them?” Sunny asks, looking surprised.

She smiles and shakes her head.

“No. My parents hope I’ll get married to Leeteuk, their so-called leader. But they aren’t forcing me…at least for now. Their whole gang is transferring to SM, just to let you know.” She says in a nonchalant tone.

There’s a loud gasp from all of us at her words, that attracts the attention of the boys sitting there. And I gradually get a bad feeling.

True enough, Jessica Jung’s instinct is never wrong. They stand up slowly, and striding over to us with only that confidence and regality that heirs can give out, I study them even more closely. For the third time, that handsome man catches my eye, and this time, I don’t turn away. I don’t even blink, and I soon realize the whole bunch of them are standing in front of us girls.

“Annyeong, I’m Leeteuk, the Park heir. We’re Super Junior, and well, as the only males in Korea equivalent to your statuses in Korea, I think we should all get along, seeing as we’re transferring to your school.”

There’s a murmuring in the room at his arrogance, but fades as everyone realizes it’s true. In all of Korea, only these people can compare to us in terms of looks, money and influence.

The leader, Park Leeteuk, flashes a bright smile at Taeng, and takes her hand, dragging her swiftly away. All of us stand up and yell in protest, but are quickly silenced by all of those men going up to whoever they fancy and introducing themselves. It’s then I realize the handsome young man from just now is standing in front of me, and he’s asking my name. I smile very slightly and reply,

“Jessica.”

“Annyeong, Jessica, co-owner of Sarang with Hwang Tiffany. I’m Lee Donghae, the Lee heir.”

I raise a graceful eyebrow. He knows of Fany and I’s painstakingly created brand, Sarang? And isn’t Lee Donghae the heir to the renowned internationally seafood restaurant company, Lee’s?

I do suppose I’m a little too up to date with who’s who, but it’s in my nature to gossip. I’ve always been someone inquisitive, rare in the long line of heiresses and heirs. As one of these people, you’re trained not to question anything that you’re asked to do. Anything you do has to be thought through carefully, as it’ll affect our future business, and possibly our own reputation… I swear, there’s a whole damn course on how to act like what is befitting of a heir or heiress. I’m lost in my own musings, and don’t realize that poor Donghae is asking me if he can buy me a drink. I absentmindedly nod yes, and he smiles politely, ordering an alcoholic Coke for me. I smile and take the drink happily, it’s my favourite beverage, and as I tell him that, he laughs, telling me,

“But Jessica, that’s my favourite drink too!” We laugh merrily, and I feel a strange tug at my heart, something that hasn’t happened for a long time. My icy walls are breaking down because of a mere drink, looks and his laugher. And I’m scared. Scared that I’ll be hurt again. He takes my hand then, and looks into my eyes seriously.

“Jessica, I’ll tell you something. I’m attracted to you, and well, I really do hope to get to know you better in the days to come as we come to your school.” He flashes a sweet smirk at me, his dimple showing, and I blush again, looking away. What is wrong with me? Normally, I won’t be affected by a mere touch, a mere smile, but because of Lee Donghae, I feel…intoxicated in his presence. I actually feel…happy around him, for some reason. Call me crazy, but even though we’ve just met, I’m starting to like him already…

 

 

Seohyun:

 

As I look around at all my unnies, being chatted up by these guys from Super Junior, I can’t help but feel happy for them. My unnies are vibrant, intelligent, and gorgeous, but I’ve always got the vibe from them that something’s missing from their lives. And when I think about it, I think it’s love. Love. Such a short four lettered word, yet so full of significance. Love is something most humans can’t live without, and as powerful and beautiful my unnies are, I doubt they’re an exception. From what I’ve heard, they’ve never been in a relationship where they’ve been loved or loved whole-heartedly. So, perhaps, just perhaps, these men will help them find the missing piece? Though, what am I to reprimand them? Because I’m equally bad. Among my unnies, I’ve always felt I was the plain Jane. Sure, I am pretty. But not as unique as all of them, and that’s why I usually feel inferior, honestly. I may be the heiress to Warcraft, but to me, I have nothing except my so-called beauty and money. Taeng unnie always tells me that I'm special in my own way, but I get the feeling she's just trying to pacify me... I look down a little desolately at the rim of my wine glass, decorated merrily with a fuschia red cherry, and twirl my straw in the long unfrozen martini. Am I really that horrible that no one wants to talk to me, unlike my unnies?

Just then, as I’m looking down at the cherry, a long hand reaches out and plucks it from my glass. I look back in shock, and catch sight of a tall, lanky, brown-haired guy smirking at me as he chews the cherry.

“Seo Joohyun?” My mouth falls open in shock. How does a complete stranger know my name?

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun.” He smirks at me again, his full lips dripping with cherry juice. And that’s when I realize I’m staring at his lips, and turn the colour of a cherry. I shake my head slightly to recollect my thoughts and realize something. Cho Kyuhyun? That name…certainly rings a bell, and that’s when he smirks at me again.

“Heir to the Starcraft company, at your service.”

At this, I feel my mouth drop wide open. Being the heiress to Warcraft, the series of wildly popular video games, I definitely know Starcraft. Starcraft is our biggest competitior in the video gaming industry, and our two companies often clash over minute things. Him being the heir to Starcraft, and I being the heiress to Warcraft, I guess…we’ll see each other in the future. He leans closer to me then, and I lean back, stammering,

“What…what are you doing, Cho Kyuhyun?”

“I hope to get to know you better, Seo Joohyun. After all, we’ll be working together…closely in the future.” He slides into the seat beside me and takes my hand, while I stare, outraged at his invasion of my personal space.

“Do you not know the meaning of personal space, Cho Kyuhyun?”

He rolls his eyes, saying,

“Now, now, let’s get along, shall we? Besides, you don’t exactly seem to be protesting.”

He looks pointedly at our still-intertwined hands, and I flush furiously, shaking his hand away. He doesn’t give up, the little brat, and instead, leans even nearer to me.

“Shall we…go on a date, Seo Joohyun?”

I say nothing but give him an incredulous look, and ask,

“Are you kidding?”

With that, I slide off the chair and walk away, in search of Taeyeon unnie, to save her from the infuriating leader of the equally infuriating Super Junior.

 

Kyuhyun:

 

I’m bored to death as the rest of the hyungs find their own girl to chat up. They’re ever the playboys, and will never give up a pretty girl. They may be shallow, but hey, who’ll complain of getting too much attention, especially from us? I have to say, anyone who rejects us probably isn’t right in the brain. I look around, bored again. Today, since we arrived, I’ve had a niggling little feeling at the back of my brain that keeps telling me to find her. Her? Who’s her? I desperately tell my brain to shut up, but it persists, and I’m irritated as hell until I catch sight of a pretty girl stirring her martini, sitting desolately at the bar. As I squint harder at the lovely figure, I realize it looks very, very familiar. Then, the girl turns to the side slightly, and as I see her side profile, I gasp lightly in shock. It’s Seo Joohyun, the lovely heiress to Warcraft, my rival company in the future. So she hangs out with the queens of SM University huh?

Seo Joohyun, or Seohyun, as I’ve found out, is really something else. She’s so lovely, but looks are deceiving. From what I’ve heard about her, she hates to follow protocol, and apparently refuses to take up the role as Warcraft’s future leader. She’s extremely intelligent, and loves to read and write, apparently. I’m intrigued. It’s not everyday that I manage to see a heiress that’s both pretty and smart, and I think of a way to approach her, grinning devilishly as I spot the bright red cherry perched on the rim of her martini.

I lean forward to grab the cherry, and slowly pop it into my mouth, chewing it in an extremely y way, as she looks up at me in shock. She’s staring at my lips, and I smirk as a light blush stains her face and she turns away.

“Seo Joohyun?”

Her eyes widen in shock, evidently not expecting me to know her full name.

“I’m Cho Kyuhyun.”

Her delicate brows furrow in confusion, and I know she’s probably trying to remember where she’s heard my name before. Well, she’ll make the connection sooner or later, won’t she?

“Heir to the Starcraft company, at your service.”

drops open with a small pop, and I know she’s made the link.

I lean closer to her then, guessing that for such a shy lady, she’ll lean back. My predictions are correct, and she blushes, stammering out the words,

“What…what are you doing, Cho Kyuhyun?”

 “I hope to get to know you better, Seo Joohyun. After all, we’ll be working together…closely in the future.”

This is actually extremely true, as the heir and heiress of each other’s rival company, we’ll probably be exchanging blows soon on the battlefield of business. It’s what we’ve been trained for since young, and I’m looking forward to dueling with such a refined, lovely lady.

I slide into the seat beside her and take her hand. She looks up at me with rage in her eyes, and I smirk inwardly.

“Do you not know the meaning of personal space, Cho Kyuhyun?” I laugh and roll my eyes, saying,

“Now, now, let’s get along, shall we? Besides, you don’t exactly seem to be protesting.” I glance at our hands, and she flushes and shakes off my hand, but I’m a persistent little brat who will stop at nothing to get what I want.

“Shall we…go on a date, Seo Joohyun?” She says nothing, merely giving me an incredulous look,

“Are you kidding?” With that, she slides off the chair and walks away.  I only put on my signature smirk and glance lazily at her lovely figure walking away.

She’s different. A new challenge for the great Cho Kyuhyun.

 

 

Narrator:

 

As the beautiful queens and regal kings talk animatedly, or rather, the kings talk animatedly while the queens try to shake them off, a mysterious group of 7 handsome men are surveying them lazily at the corner of the lounge. Charming and mysterious, many lovely heiresses look at them curiously, thinking whether to approach them, but are eventually scared off by their menacing glares if anyone comes within a five foot radius of them.

“So, hyung, what do we do now?”

“Nothing.” One of the men replies.

“Why? I don’t want to stand here and watch our throne being taken away!”

The man hisses furiously at being questioned, and directs his glare which is so often being compared to a laser beam that can melt, at the young man who dares to question him. He shrinks back, and the man’s gaze softens.

“Do not question the decision of your hyungs, Dongho.” The man commands.

“After all,” another man, who looks the oldest out of them all, and gives off a leaderly aura, “the addition of these pawns will only make the thrill of the chase so much more exciting, don’t you think?”

The words are silken velvet rolling off his tongue, the language of one who has had a long lifetime, the tone of one who has had many experiences.

“We’ll show them the power of U-KISS.” His tone hardens as he speaks and glares menacingly at our kings and queens, his tone promising many an ordeal for the royalty.

 

Heys, I'm the_soshified_one, who's written the first chapter! Do inform me if there're any grammatical mistakes or spelling errors, as this story is being written in the present tense, which I'm not exactly used too>.< 

SUBSCRIPTIONS AND COMMENTS ARE WARMLY WELCOMED AND RECEIVED WITH OPEN ARMS!