Chapter 4

Blood Is Thicker Than Water

The sun barely rose above the trees, but they didn’t make any signs of slowing down. Unwavering silence passed between them as they walked side by side in what seemed to be a never ending forest. Jaerin sensed his uncomfortableness and it set her on edge. “Do you need to stop?” she finally asked. He let out a small chuckle before shaking his head and walking ahead of her. She followed at a steady pace behind him, noting how his steps were long, yet silent. His back was slightly hunched as his hands dug deep in his pockets. To her it seemed as if he was trying to make himself less noticeable, to close himself off from his surroundings, but maybe it was just her perspective… maybe it wasn’t what she thought at all. His tattered jacket caught her attention. It was strange to see a vampire wearing clothes not made out of the finest cloth. Jongin, as the stronger one had called him, seemed different to her. His entire aura seemed dark, but not evil. He seemed lost and confused about who he was. She wondered how long it be would until he would need to feast again. Surely it would be soon. Would she be able to allow him to take an innocent life, or will she have no choice but to stop him?

*JONGIN’S POV*

            I sensed her watching me. It drove me absolutely insane to be the object of another person’s inner thoughts. I had never liked being the center of attention; even while human, I kept to myself. Being a vampire made all of my senses strengthen to unexplainable heights. Everything humans could feel I could feel ten times over. Every noise and detail magnified. So much so that at one point even the howling wind can become a nuisance. The noise became so much that I trained myself to become silent.

            I felt her steps start to fall behind. Perhaps it was because she was too wrapped up about her thoughts. That was another thing. I didn’t like to think anymore. Thinking too much about my life caused me to become angry—almost hostile. It wasn’t my choice, but when the time came for me to think, my whole demeanor would change. I felt negative and the only thing to help me return was blood. It relaxed me. “Are you going to continue to stare at me?” My tone was flat. I didn’t want to come off as angry because I didn’t want her to place her guards up higher. For as long as I can… I will try not to kill her. I know she will probably get to me first, but a game of cat and mouse is never fun if the mouse is always hiding. “How did you…?” I don’t answer her and just keep walking. After a few moments, she looks away, and her thoughts are now somewhere else. On someone whom she misses. I can tell by the faint sigh that leaves her lips. One a human would have easily missed. I don’t allow myself to think of the ajeossi. For as much as I am concerned, that part of my life is behind me.

          Looking up, I see a grey sky. There are no clouds, but everything in this world is dead. The trees in this forest are almost all rotted, completely void of any leaves. The sun is the only symbol of dull hope as its rays fall down to Earth, radiating its strength. With its light, it’s easier to see the ruins of the once amazing world. I can see the end of the forest ahead of us, and just faintly the next town. Soon Jaerin is walking at my side. She quickens her pace until she is in front of me. When I reach her again it’s the first step I take out of the forest. It has been a while since I’ve seen the world. Six months. This town is like the previous except all these buildings are burnt black. Destroyed by raging fires I have no doubt were created by my kind. Jaerin takes a shaky step forward. Her heart skips a few beats, and if I were a tad bit kinder, I may have in some way pitied her. I stare ahead at the piles of crumbling ashes I see in front of me. This place isn’t guarded or fenced in like the others because it is completely inhabitable. Slowly, she looks at me.

“Disgusting.” Her words contain venom.

“What?” Is my slightly interested reply.

“I want to know why. Why such filthy, disgusting, evil creatures like you get to come in and destroy my world. What gives your kind the right? You have killed millions of people. You’re the reason families are being ripped apart and you dare stare at this place with that damn blank expression.” There it is. The fire in her eyes that makes me lose control. I fight against myself to hold back the urge to finish her now. However, I can’t fight back the teasing smirk that places itself on my lips. “Do you think you’re any better?” The sharp, vibrating sound echoes off of me. Her hand print lightly stings my face—almost like a mosquito bite. Her eyes are wild with anger and her crossbow ready to fire. I take a step towards her. She won’t kill me now. Maybe later, but now, she needs me.

“My kind,” I spit those words with distaste, “have been forced to hide ourselves away for years because of your kind.” I pause, making sure she’s looking me in the eyes. I know mine are a blaring ride by the way her pupils shake with a steadied fear. “What you’re going through now, we have for centuries. Now is just simply a time to taste your own medicine. It’s not easy to live your life hearing stories about how evil vampires are. To have everyone believe that we’ve become a species of evil creatures who drink blood. And you even come up with a ludicrous idea of garlic warding us off. We have simply altered ourselves to fit your mold. Tell me, Jaerin, what gave you the right?” I move away. Eyes facing foreword, like every word spoken was just an illusion. Without reason for any other exchange I move ahead of her. Leaving myself completely vulnerable to attack, I remind myself it’s best to trust no one.

*Jaerin’s POV*

            His words ripped directly through me. The distinction in his voice and the way he spoke with such passion reminded me of someone like a faint echo. His never faltering eyes, the small amount of light that shone behind the deep red brought an unexplainable emotion to the surface. I turn to look at him. He walks ahead, hands no longer in his pockets but with strong deliberate steps. Yes, definitely different.

            By the time I catch up we’ve entered the center of this burnt city. Everything seems vacant; not a soul in sight. Even the air feels thick with stifling smoke—although it looks like it has been a while since any one has been here. It is silent. The only sound I can hear is my faint breathing until the sharp whish of something slicing through air catches my attention. Before I can react, I am on the ground. A cloud of dust rises at our collision and when I regain my senses, I see Jongin hunched over me with an arrow caught in his right fist. Surrounding us is a mass of broken looking people. They watch us with some sort of curiosity and I remind myself it would be better if I say nothing. Jongin looks aware, all his senses no doubt on edge. Any sudden move could set him off. He straightens up and pulls me off the ground. I can’t help but notice how his grip on my wrist is light, like he doesn’t want to be touching me. He releases me the second he can. Now I am ready. A cough rings from somewhere in the crowd and in an instant they move aside. With deep black hair and seemingly grey eyes the young man approaches us. A bow strapped across his back; the archer. For someone who seems to have not eaten a scarp of food in the past few days, he seems overly confident.

            “It’s been a while since we’ve had visitors.” He makes no indication that we are welcome.

            “We were just passing through.” Jongin responds with his eyes to the ground. It’s obvious to me he doesn’t want them to know.

            “Not an extremely wise decision to be walking out in the open with guards patrolling, don’t you think?”

            “It shouldn’t matter to you.” The young man laughs.

            “It would seem to matter to me. If you were caught here, their attention would turn on us. Considering the way we’re living, I think you can come to the conclusion that that isn’t what we want.”

            “The longer we stay here the higher the chance of you attracting this attention. Again, we were just passing through.” The arrow falls to the ground, his hands again in his pockets. Jongin turns away from the man and motions for me with his eyes. As he walks on the man’s next words bring him to a halt.

            “That arrow should have killed her.”

            Jongin chuckles. “But it didn’t.”

            “Yes…” the man takes a step foreword but Jongin gives no indication of wanting to stay any longer. “because you caught it.”

            “Very observant of you.” I can’t help but roll my eyes at his sarcastic comment. The air is clouded with heavy apprehension, but leave it Jongin to bring some comic relief. “You’re not as good a marksman as you think.” Jongin reels back and grabs my wrist once again. The last things I see from that village are those grey eyes that undoubtedly know something we don’t. 

********

Flames.

Fire.

It burns me.

It feels as if everything inside me is being burned from the inside out. I’m paralyzed but I can feel it all. I feel the shift in the wind as the day switches from darkness to light. I feel the way the silence the life out of everything. Most of all I can feel his disappointment with me.

“Ravi…” His words echo in a chorus inside my head.

“Yes, Master.” The two of us are connected. I feel his power and he feels my worthlessness. I am nothing but a servant to him.

“You were so close.” He doesn’t need to change the way he speaks. It is made clear I will be punished for my actions.

“Master, there is one.”

“One?”

“A hunter.”

“Impossible.” His laughter is condescending.

“I’ve known this poison once before. This one is skilled. The arrow has missed by heart by centimeters.” His next command is simple.

“Bring them both to me. Alive.” He is gone.

A final sharp sting blazes through me and I let out a pained scream. Not long after I gain control of my fingers. Then, my arms, legs, and body. I get up and feel the diminishing pain radiate through me. The familiar smirk finds its way to my face and I know the hunt is back on. “You can run Jongin, but you can’t hide. I’ll get you… and that little hunter too.” 

**********

Hey guys!!!! Thank you so much for all the comments and i'm actually really surprised this story already has six subscribers TTT^TTT thank you

The story is kinda moving a tad quick, but from the next chapter on it will slow down a bit. I hope all of you are interested when reading this because i'm really trying hard ;-; 

Please comment and tell me what you think ♥

Thank you again to all of the people who read, comment, and subscribe SARANGHAEYO