Chapter 1

Blood Is Thicker Than Water

The curtains closed and all I could do was look away. What else could I do when the same sight found its way to me every morning? The gray sky, the empty buildings, and the people cowering in fear as the police passed silently with weapons in hand. Ever since the evolution of the Third World War, everyone has been like this. The days are dreary and no one seems to try and change it. There are no more rebels. People keep to themselves. Families are unrecognizable and the wave of hate silently creeps from everyone.

"It's not going to help if you just stare out of that window all day."

"What can I do?"

"Something. Anything."

"Why don't you?"

"Because I am no one."

“Then what am I? I am no greater than you.”

“But you have power. You can make a difference.”

“What difference will it make? Everything leads back to war.”

“You can influence these people. You can give them the hope they don’t even know they’re searching for. Can’t you see? They’ve all lost hope. When I walk the streets, I see them.” He walked towards me, then past me as he moves the curtain, letting a very small amount of light in. “Their heads down, eyes always scanning, looking for any sign of danger, knowing that at any moment their life can be over. As if they are an insignificant spec in the world that has no meaning. They need something to believe in. They need a new vision. Something to strive toward. They need a leader.” He looks at me when he finishes. His eyes pleading, begging me to listen to his words. To help those who cannot help themselves. I silently shake my head and his eyes harden, knowing that this was another useless attempt. I’ve heard this speech before. I know he’s right, but I also know that I can’t help these people. He turns from me and continues to stare out of the dusty window. There is always a softness in his eyes when he looks down at the people. He remembers how it was before. I want to help him, I really do. However, I can’t. I can’t help him because of who I am. The thirst inside me awakens when I see them down there. So helpless. So easy to kill. Their heartbeats quickly accelerating as the police walk towards them excites me. It sets me on edge. They don’t know that something far more dangerous is up here. Someone who could so easily destroy them. Give them a much more terrible fate.

“Stop thinking about it.” His voice cuts through me.

“What?” I don’t notice the huskiness of my own voice.

“Stop thinking about killing them. Your eyes are glowing again.” He walks to me; cane in hand, the only thing that holds him upright. “Stop thinking about the blood.” I can’t. I can’t stop thinking about the blood. The only thing that makes me happy. The only thing that can satisfy me. The one thing that keeps me sane. “You can go hunt tonight, but be careful.” I don’t answer him. A curt nod is all I can give him as I feel my insides practically burn. It’s only been three days since my last kill. The need inside me is intensifying. Soon I’ll have to leave. Before I lose control.

~~~

I walk the empty streets, head down. I know it’s beyond curfew. That’s why I have my hood on.

The hunt.

It’s not completely random.

I don’t kill the first person I run into.

You see, it’s more like a game I play with myself.

The one who gives up, who doesn’t fight me. I kill that one.

I eliminate those who wish they could disappear.

I help them.

We both win.

I can’t fight the smirk that forms as I smell the fear. They wander through the alleyway, hoping the patrol police don’t catch them.

They don’t know that I’m after them tonight. They don’t know that they’re part of the game. They don’t know the rules. And that’s what makes it fun.

I follow behind them in the alleyway, avoiding the gravel. Noise. It’s such a pester. It cuts my games short. Lessens the thrill.

He continues walking. I like to get to know them. Kim Soowon. He used to be a school teacher. His wife left him shortly before the war began, after she found out he had an affair with one of his students. She blamed herself. He blamed her also. My internal clock ticks, my throat is dry. I need the blood.

I grab him, my hand slithering around his throat as I easily press him to the wall. He struggles against me. “Let me go.” I make out his words, though I do think he should save his breath. I don’t like hearing my prey speak. It’s too much noise.

My fangs extract and it’s like a new life source enters me. All I see is red. It would be so easily to kill him right now. Just drink his blood and go. But that’s not how I do things. I tighten my grip on his throat and feel his heartbeat. It’s strong. I look him in the eyes, knowing mine glow red, and disappointment fills me as he silently accepts his fate. My game is cut short today. Kim Soowon, I expected more from you.

I shift his neck with my free hand and sink my fangs in. His blood is sweet and my insides feel warm. His breathing is ragged but quickly fades into nothing as I finish him off. I release him and his lifeless body collapses onto the ground. I can do nothing but look at him. My fangs retract as I wipe my mouth with my sleeve. I walk away as I hear footsteps approaching. No need to linger when there is nothing to benefit me.

I avoid the main streets as I return to the shattered place I call a home. It’s more a residence really. A place to sleep at night, although, I don’t really need to sleep. I enter from the back way and find him near the window again. The curtains are closedand I know what he’s doing. It is what he does every night.

I watch him.

I wonder.

I watch him and I wonder why he finds the need to pray.

He prays to the silence that tomorrow morning, if he lives until then, that when he looks out of that window, there will be a new world.

A world where people can pass each other and smile. Where the police are there to protect you and not to harm you. A place where you feel happy and loved, not hopeless and lost.

I turn away from him, knowing that it won’t happen. For if my kind continues to exist, the world he hopes for will not. 

 

*********

Wah first chapter!! I hope you guys like it ^^ Please leave comments telling me what you think

To all my readers, commenters, and subscribers... SARANGHAEYO♥♥