Meeting the Boys

True Hearts and Truly Home
 
 
"C-Chaerin? It's... How....," I felt a smile break through my tears, my father was just as nervous to talk to me as I was to him.
 
"Um... Could you come get me?" 
 
"Of course! Where are you at?" I told him my address.
 
"And... Could you come now? I... I don't really want to stay here anymore... I've already packed." 
 
"I'll be there in ten minutes." 
 
"Thank you... Dad." 
 
After he hung up, I started carrying my things downstairs. I had about three large suitcases and four duffle bags. There was one passenger bag that held all my electronics(a laptop, her headphones, iPod, and cell phone) and my backpack, currently unused as it was the last week of summertime. I also took down all of my musical supplies, a guitar, keyboard, and a violin.When I walked down the stairs with the last bit of my things, a box full of things that had been on my wall and pictures, I found my mother sitting next to the pile on a chair.
 
"Is he coming to get you tomorrow?" I shook my head.
 
"He'll be here in a few minutes." She looked so broken.... I just wanted to hug her and hold on tight. I stared at her for a moment and forced myself not to. I wasn't ready to forgive her yet. I pulled a lock of hair off my face and tucked it back behind my ear.
 
"I... I'll call you... I don't know when, but I will." She smiled.
 
"I know what I did was wrong... thank you, Chaerin." I nodded, there was a knock on the door. I opened it and found a man standing there. He was taller than me, not surprising as I was only 5'1", his black hair was greying a bit, and his eyes were a copy of mine down to the slight bluish tint that only appeared in bright light. My father.
 
He stared at me for a moment, taking in my features, before he pulled me into a tight hug, "Chaerin... How old are you now? Sixteen?" I smiled.
 
"Seventeen." He nodded and pulled back.
 
"You're beautiful, just as beautiful as your...," he stopped and I knew what he had been about to say. As my mother. He shook himself out of the thoughts and looked behind me. Mom was standing there.
 
"Hanuel." His voice was cold and strained.
 
"Hyunjae." Hers was full of regret. He walked past her and took out all my instruments first and came back to pick up two duffle bags, throwing them behind his shoulder, and two of the suitcases he pulled behind him. I followed his actions, throwing on my backpack and passenger bag, the duffle hanging from one of my shoulders by a strap. I pulled the last suitcase behind me as my mother picked up the box. On top was a picture of her and I, I was seven in the picture, she'd taken me to Lotte World for my birthday.
 
We walked out and I looked at the truck my father had driven, it wasn't common to see things like that. He loaded the luggage expertly, the only thing I kept with me was the passenger bag. The last thing he loaded was the box. He stared at her for a moment and shook his head as he placed the box int the flat bed. I walked over to her and stood in front of her.
 
"Goodbye." She forced a smile.
 
"Goodbye, Chaerin." I got into the passenger side of the truck and stared at the small house I'd called home for most of my life. 
 
"Chaerin?" I looked over to my dad.
 
"Yes?"
 
"Are you ready to see your new home?" I nodded, smiling. He smiled back and reached an arm over to pat my hand. It was awkward, but he was trying. The car ride was silent except for the hum of the trucks engine, neither of us spoke until fifteen minutes had passed.
 
"Did your mother tell you about your brother?" I nodded a bit.
 
I hadn't really thought much of it yet. "How old is he?" 
 
"He's twenty four, he was seven years old. He still remembers you." 
 
"Do you think he'll like me? What's his name?"
 
"Kim Donghyun, and of course he will. He's your brother." I smiled. After that, the conversation flowed easily, like I'd always known him. We talked about my school, my friends, boyfriends(nonexistent, I'd never had one), and even my favorite foods.
 
"So what do you do for a living?" He looked at me.
 
"I own a few college boarding houses on campus at Seoul University. You'll be staying with your brother and I in one of them. I'm usually only there on weekends, though. Donghyun runs it when I'm gone, I have to stay at the big one usually, it has fifteen tenants. The one you stay at only has five. I'm also a professor at the university. 
 
"So how many of them are girls?" He stopped for a moment.
 
"None. It's all boys." 
 
"Wh-what?" 
 
"It's an all boys boarding house, so is the one I'm usually at. Moon Hyorin, another teacher, is in charge of the female houses." He noticed I was now extremely nervous, "Don't worry, your brother or I will always be near."
 
I nodded, still uneasy, we turned a corner and I saw the campus. My heart dropped to my stomach. He drove through and I looked around, it was a beautiful campus, there were students everywhere, carrying luggage to dorms, sororities, and frat houses. It was a scene straight out of a movie. We drove clear to the other side of the campus and into the driveway of a two story house. In the yard, six boys were bringing in luggage. I gulped a bit and steeled myself as I got out of the car.
 
"Donghyun!" One of the boys, he had dyed red hair, turned towards us, he looked at our father before his eyes settled on me. The other boys were looking at me too.
 
"Chaerin?" I nodded slowly and he walked up to me quickly, pulling me into a tight hug. I returned it, though a bit surprised. 
 
"You were so tiny... You're a teenager now.... My baby sister is a teenager...," he hugged me again. Dad patted him on the back.
 
"You're going to suffocate her, Son." I was released.
 
"Sorry." I grinned.
 
"I don't care, I've always wanted a big brother." He grinned back before facing dad.
 
"So, as you can see, all the tenants are here." Dad nodded and faced them, noticing their confusion.
 
"Alright, so, three of you are new here, but even those that aren't need to listen. Rules in this house are not hard to follow, listen to them and you will be golden, don't and you're out. First off, no alcohol, smoking, or any of that sort of thing is allowed on my property. Second, no parties are to be thrown. If you damage my house, you pay for the repairs. If you use a dish, wash it and put it back when you're done. Now, Hyunseong and Jeongmin already know this, no girls. The only girl allowed on the grounds is my daughter Chaerin, she is living here now, too. Think of her as another warden, you are to show her the same respect you show my son and myself. That brings me to rule number four, the last three doors in the upstairs hallway are completely off limits. Questions?" No one asked anything.
 
"Let's start with introductions then. I'm Kim Hyunjae, I won't say my age and I am a father of two and I enjoy teaching." Donghyun went next.
 
"Kim Donghyun, twenty four years old, I'm a jokester, but I will be strict of I have to. Please don't make me do that, it's not fun at all." He looked at me and a I took in a breath.
 
"I'm Kim Chaerin... I'm seventeen and I play three instruments." I stopped and waited, a boy with reddish toned and curly brown hair spoke up next.
 
"I'm Lee Jeongmin, 19, and I major in English and visual arts." The next to speak was a taller boy with black hair.
 
"Shim Hyunseong, 20 years old, I'm majoring in literature." Next was a blond.
 
"Jo Youngmin, I'm 18, my major is mathematical science." The one who spoke after was identical to Youngmin, save for his hair which was brown.
 
"Jo Kwangmin, 18 years old and the younger twin. My major is graphic design." The last to speak had boyish cut black hair matching eyes.
 
"No Minwoo, 18 years old and my majors are dance and music." Donghyun nodded.
 
"Let's get everyone settled in, then." Donghyun helped the boys bring their things to their bedrooms and Dad helped me bring my things to mine.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
My room had been completely designed for a teenage girl. "I approached your mother after we renovated this room for you, I hope you like green."
 
"It's perfect." I began putting my things away and soon enough I had everything finished. My keyboard, guitar, and violin were placed in the closet, for safekeeping. As I sat down on my bed I thought to myself. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad here.