i'll show you love 2/2

Give Your Heart a Break

i'll show you love


warning this chapter .


IV.

//

“And that’s why,” Donghae explains as he takes a tentative sip of the tea he has just ordered. “I think he’s just scared.”

 

The hot drink is bland and slightly bitter, which makes him grimace at the awful taste. Forcing himself to swallow the warm drink, he scrunches his nose up, eliciting an awww from his best friend, before he glowers at his half-full cup. It suddenly makes him crave for one of Hyukjae’s random but delicious beverages, even if he stubbornly keeps on preparing him something totally different from what he originally orders. Actually, Donghae absently notes with an unconscious grin, it’s pretty cute.

Unfortunately, he’s currently not at Starbucks, but in a small tea house Sungmin has insisted to go. The two of them met there an hour ago, after Donghae gave him a quick call stating he needed to talk to someone. While the shop is slightly crowded, and that the menu leaves a lot to be desired in his opinion, it’s still cozy and peaceful enough so nobody can come and disturb their conversation.

One day has already gone by since the last time he saw Hyukjae, and he can’t help feeling a bit of an ache in his chest whenever he thinks about how much he would like to go to Starbucks and see the cranky man. However, he knows that he really needs to talk about the whole I-want-to-prove-Hyukjae-that-love-is-ing-great plan to someone, just so he can get some good advices. And between Kyuhyun and Sungmin, the latter was definitely the best out of two bad options (well, maybe he’s being a bit unfair, but he knows what he’s talking about).

When he finishes talking about the non-existent relationship he shares with Hyukjae, Sungmin’s expression turns thoughtful. He starts nipping on the tip of his tea spoon, and Donghae has to wonder if it doesn’t hurt his teeth.

 

 “That would mean,” he says slowly. “That he doesn’t want to get close to anybody because he thinks they’re all going to leave him at some point?”

 

“That’s what I believe, yes,” Donghae nods. He tries to drink another sip of his tea, grimaces at the taste once again, and resolutely puts the cup down on the table with a disgruntled look. “He’s scared that falling in love will hurt him. Damn, he thinks he knows it’s true.”

 

Sungmin frowns a little and unconsciously starts to pursue his lips into a cute pout (which makes him look way younger than he really is, and Donghae thinks it’s really unfair), before he puts his own Japanese tea down. In contrary to his previous enthusiastic behavior when Donghae had been telling him about Hyukjae, squealing that it was all so romantic, he now looks awfully serious and slightly concerned.

“But that’d be horrible, no?” he sighs with a sad tone. “Having to push everybody away from him, and never allow anyone to get too close? That’s like having to put defenses up around his heart all the freaking time! It must be exhausting.”

 

“I know,” Donghae mumbles and distractedly looks out window. It’s cold outside and there’s a thin layer of snow forming on the streets of the city, reminding him at every corner that winter was well and truly here. “That’s why I want to help him. He’s very pessimistic and looks like he doesn’t know what ‘good mood’ means, but I know he’s a really great guy underneath all the prickles, you know?”

 

A fraction of second goes by upon which Sungmin blinks at him in wonder, before he starts squealing in excitement again. “Oh my God, do you actually like him?” he gasps, and Donghae can’t help cringing at his girly and slightly embarrassing behavior (he’s lucky he’s his best friend, really). However, he doesn’t deny it, and it’s enough for Sungmin to know the answer to his question.

“Oh my God!” he says again. “That’s so romantic!”

 

*

 

It might be so romantic, Donghae thinks with a heavy sigh as he walks down the streets, absently heading for Starbucks, but it doesn’t really help his case. Upon asking his best friend what he should do for their first date to be memorable (assuming that Hyukjae will accept, which is still nowhere near to be done as we speak), Sungmin immediately replied with an excited tone that you should spoil him as much as your pitiful salary allows you. Then, after a brief pause that pulls a frown on his round face, oh but if it’s one of his first dates with someone, then it could make him uncomfortable, right?

Needless to say that, with or without Sungmin’s incredibly help, Donghae is still at square one (it’s probably more of a zero and half, but he tries to be optimistic) and he doesn’t know a about how he’s going to change that. He knows that his best friend is actually right on both points; he needs to make Hyukjae feel loved and taken care of, but also comfortable and not burdened around him.

With a desperate groan, he stops at a park bench and flops down on it. The Starbucks coffee shop Hyukjae works at is only at a few streets away, but knowing that he doesn’t have a clue about what he’s going to do makes him feel a little bit depressed.

He knows that the date doesn’t have to be perfect; all he wants is to make Hyukjae as happy as possible, and make him realize that all of it is truly worth it – even if it’s not with him. Truthfully, the thought of the single-lidded man trying his chance with someone else than him does hurt a little. After having forced himself into his life and learned to know him, and all his weird but cute little quirks – like the way he glares and blushes slightly when Donghae asks something embarrassing, or the way his sparkly brown eyes light up excitedly every time he finds the topic interesting, or the way he starts humming under his breath when he eats or drinks something he likes, or the way he keeps on stealing his strawberries (the ones Donghae secretly orders for him) or… okay –, Donghae has to admit that he has become attached to this cranky barista. All in all, he really hopes that Hyukjae will end up liking him, too, even if just a little (he can always work on that).

But here’s not the point, he sternly tells himself. What he needs to do, right now, is to make Hyukjae happy. As he tries to rack his brain for a miracle that would wipe off some of the single-lidded man’s moody attitude, a cute couple walks past him, smiling lovingly at each other as they talk about dates and flowers and chocolate. Donghae watches them without a word and eavesdrops a little, until it suddenly strikes him.

He widens his eyes in excitement, cursing under his breath as an uncontrollable smile spreads on his lips. There, brightly glowing in red letters in front of a flower shop, the one the giggling couple decides to walk right past of, a huge ad gives him the answer to all his questions.

 

“It’s Valentine’s Day in a week,” he realizes under his breath. And that’s just his chance.

 


V.

//

That day, Starbucks is so crowded that Hyukjae barely has the time to breathe. It’s peak hours and there’s a forming line long enough to keep him busy the whole afternoon, which means that he really can’t slack off like he usually does. Henry and the manager Siwon have also gone out of the backroom to help him at the main counter, even though they’re supposed to be on lunch break. But as he tries to prepare a Venti Americano, take the next customer’s order and somehow magically cast a new bottle of vanilla syrup from the pantry all at the same time, he can’t help wondering if Donghae will drop by the shop today, too. Not that he really cares, of course (ahem), but he has to admit that spending time with him is fun and he kind of got used to see him waiting by the French window. While he’s forcing himself to believe that the reason why he’s thinking about the other man is only because he’s getting tired of his two other co-workers (which is likely, to be honest) and needs to find new friends, he glances up at the main door, which is slowly closing behind another customer.

Then, as he takes the money the Venti-Americano-guy is handing him, a tall and admittedly good-looking man abruptly walks in the Starbucks with a moody expression plastered on his face. He looks around the entrance with dark eyes, until he spots Hyukjae standing behind the counter. With a huff, he makes his way towards him with angry steps, ignoring the line and the offended looks the other customers throw at him. Looking as if he is ready to kill puppies if they only try to look in his direction, he stops right in front of the single-lidded man.

Hyukjae stares him suspiciously (he gets the same weird feeling like the first day he met Donghae, but in worse), until he curtly hands him a small beige bag.

 

“Here,” he snaps. “Donghae hyung told me to give you this, because apparently I’m his new messenger.”

 

Before the barista can retort anything to him, like could you be a little bit more polite with me dude?!, he whips around with a last glare and stomps outside while grunting incoherently under his breath. Hyukjae glares at his retreating back and holds himself from profusely cursing at him (there’s still customers around, after all), before he looks down at the intriguing bag in his hands and eyes it curiously.

 

“Henry,” he calls distractedly as he turns it between his fingers.

 

The younger lifts his head up from the mess he’s doing with coffee beans and whipped cream, before he earnestly replies “Yes, hyung?”

 

“Be a nice boy and hold the main counter for me,” he imperiously demands. “I’m going to take a break.”

 

He easily ignores Siwon’s outraged shouts of you can’t just take a ing break when we’re drowning in work like this you little ! and nonchalantly makes his way to hide in the backroom. When he’s safely hidden inside and that he’s one hundred percent sure that the manager can’t barge in to drag him back by the collar, he peeks in the bag and finds a small letter inside. It’s Donghae’s handwriting.

 

Dear Hyukjae,

Here’s a small present I got you when I was on my way to Starbucks. Unfortunately, I can’t drop by anymore this week, but I should be able to come on Friday! Anyways, I know this is not something wow or anything, but I still hope you’ll like it. It’s actually the next best thing after buying a whole truck of strawberries, but that’d be too expensive for my poor salary and I’m not sure you can preserve them long enough to eat them all.

See you soon!

P.S: I sent my friend Kyuhyun to give you the gift. He doesn’t look very friendly, right? He’s a very grumpy guy, sort of like you, so I thought it’d be funny for you to meet him, hahaha. Oh, but you can’t fall for him, ok? He might look handsome and smart, and kind of rich since his father owns an academy and stuff, but he’s not very nice and he’s the greatest geek I’ve ever met. Just, don’t, ok? Ok.

 

Hyukjae lets out a snort upon finishing to read the small note then carefully folds it and puts it aside, before he hurriedly opens the bag to find what is inside; there’s only a long, wooden box. Tilting his head to the side curiously, he picks it up and unlocks it. There’s a stick in it, awfully looking a Harry Potter wand.

 

You said you like the Harry Potter movies, and I saw this in a shop while grocery shopping with a friend. Before you ask, it’s definitely not Draco Malfoy’s wand. After all, you did say that you think he’s hot, which means he’s became my rival from now on. Really, he’s not hot. But I am! *wink wink*

 

“God, he’s such a dork,” he snorts with a bemused shake of the head. “What am I supposed to do with this, now?” But really, he can’t deny it; it’s kind of sweet.

 

*

 

Hyukjae doesn’t really expect it but on Tuesday afternoon, the Kyuhyun kid comes back with another present. He looks even more pissed off than yesterday and doesn’t greet him upon reaching the main counter. Grunting and glaring darkly as if everything is his fault, he puts a yellow bag in front of him and walks out without a single word. As the single-lidded man watches him move away from the Starbucks coffee shop with slight annoyance (really, is he the one who decided to send gifts every single day of the week?!), he has to wonder if he also looks like this when he’s in one of his mood.

He really hopes not.

 

“Hyung, what is this?” Henry asks curiously. He squats on the floor until only the top of his head can be seen over the counter, his eyes fixed on the bag.

 

Hyukjae’s eyebrow twitch in slight possessiveness and he sharply hides it from his sight. “Nothing you need to know of,” he grumbles.

 

Okay maybe I’m kind of always grouchy and stuff.

 

He knows it’s childish to act like this, but Donghae gave it to him, which means he probably doesn’t want anyone else to know about it – right? Satisfied with his self-made explanation, he eagerly opens the bag, and finds another note and a small, colorful origami placed at its bottom.

 

Hello Hyukkie! Can I call you Hyukkie? It’s cute. You probably don’t like it, do you? I know you don’t, which makes me want to use that nickname even more. I shall only call you Hyukkie from now on, then, hehe.

Anyways, before you start throwing a tantrum because I called you cute (you really are, though), I shall explain my Tuesday gift! It’s an origami, in case you didn’t notice. I could have bought you something else but I believe that it holds much more meaning if I do it myself. I know you said you prefer dogs but I only know how to makes cats… And Sungmin said I shouldn’t even think about trying to do it, because apparently I don’t have any skills. Rude, but true, if I really have to be honest.

I can’t wait to see you, Hyukkie!

 

Hyukjae carefully picks the folded paper up (which honestly looks more like a breeding between a giant rat and a weird panda) up and eyes it curiously. “Is that really supposed to be a cat?” he mutters amusedly, before a pleased grin spreads on his lips. It’s cute, though.

 

*

 

“Does it really have to be you every time?” Hyukjae asks with a laugh when Kyuhyun drops by the Starbucks on Wednesday morning. “Don’t you have anything else to do?”

 

“Of course I do,” the other snaps while giving him the familiar bag – green, today. A brief pause goes by until his body slowly slumps into a tired frame. He sighs, props his elbows on the main counter in front of Hyukjae, and sighs heavily. “It’s not like I really have a choice,” he whines a little desperately, and the single-lidded has to wonder if he’s going to burst out crying in the middle of Starbucks. “Donghae hyung is best friend with the guy I want to date.”

 

“Oh.” Hyukjae stifles a snicker around his strawberry-flavored lollipop, but the dangerous look Kyuhyun sends in his direction sobers him quickly. “Did he told you to do all this?”

 

The younger nods, groaning tiredly. “He said I can take him out on a date if I do. That’s cruel, isn’t it? He’s such an evil guy. Sungmin’s lucky I like him.”

 

Yet, Hyukjae can’t help noticing the genuine earnest behind his disgruntled words. He gazes at him without a word, absently savoring his sugary treat as he wonders if Kyuhyun actually loves the other man. Before he can voice out his question (which is a good thing, because it would have been really awkward), the younger sighs again and mumbles the first good bye he’s ever said to Hyukjae before going out. The barista watches him walking off to the bus stop and waits until he can’t see him anymore, then excitedly opens the green bag Donghae sent him. He idly wonders why he keeps changing its color, but quickly brushes the thought away upon seeing a small box inside, with a shy red heart drawn on its top.

 

For Hyukkie because I know he likes strawberries!

 

There’s a cute tartlet inside the white box, and as soon as Hyukjae sees it, he knows Donghae made it himself. Its form is irregular, strawberries are falling off one side and the pastry cream is messily smeared all over the biscuit. But still, it makes a pleasant warmth bloom up in Hyukjae’s chest. He laughs shortly, picking it up to take a small bite.

 

P.S: I think I messed it up so don’t force yourself if it doesn’t taste good (I know it doesn’t, but it’s the best batch I made /sighs). Knowing my baking skills, you could fall sick with an unknown disease. I’m serious.

(He is. –Sungmin & technically Kyuhyun even if he doesn’t want to admit it)

 

But he still eats it, either way. Even if it’s not that good, really.

 

*

 

“Hyukjae hyung!” Henry exclaims excitedly as he barges in the Starbucks coffee shop, scaring an old lady who sends him a scolding glare. “Hyukjae hyung – I met that tall man who keeps coming here to give you these small bags, and – and – and –” he takes a deep breath, panting and looking too red to be healthy. “He said he’d give me five dollars for giving you this!”

 

Hyukjae raises an eyebrow at him, nastily eyeing Siwon because the latter decided not to let him have his usual Thursday off (apparently he is still angry about the break he took without permission on Monday) and gave it to Henry instead (he’s a good kid, is his excuse – Hyukjae thinks it’s bull).

 

“Isn’t it supposed to be your day off?” he hisses bitterly, which prompts a surprised yelp from Henry. “Don’t you have better things to do than come here? Like, avoiding Siwon because he’s a jerk?”

 

The interested man gives him an exasperated look, but amusement clearly dances behind his eyes. “Next time, think before deciding to disappear when it’s peak hours, you dolt.”

 

“But you can’t do that! It’s my day off, it’s unfair if you don’t give it to me anymore!”

 

“Of course I can,” he scoffs and smugly crosses his arms on his chest. “I am the damn boss, I can do whatever the hell I want to.”

 

Scowling, Hyukjae returns his attention on his younger colleague. “What is it, anyway?” he snaps.

 

A proud smile spreading on Henry’s face, he hands him a blue envelope and says “It’s for you from Donghae, Kyuhyun hyung said.”

 

Hyukjae nods and quickly takes the letter, trying to conceal his excitement (and probably failing) while wondering why there is no gift sent along today. However, he refuses to acknowledge that he actually feels disappointed.

“By the way,” he mumbles distractedly as he recognizes Donghae’s messy handwriting. “Did you get the five dollars?”

 

“What? No, not yet.”

 

Siwon turns around to eye his employee with a frown. “Then how are you going to get them? He’s probably long gone, now, no?”

 

There’s a brief pause upon which Henry stares at them blankly, until something (Hyukjae really doesn’t know what, though, because he’s almost one hundred percent sure that there’s close to nothing inside his thick skull) clicks in his brain, and he gasps in horror before sprinting out of the shop. The single-lidded man bemusedly shakes his head at him, before he carefully opens the letter.

 

Hello, handsome!

I know you’re wondering why I didn’t send any gifts along today, but I thought that it wouldn’t be good if your ego flares up too high (it elicits a snort from Hyukjae who rolls his eyes). There’s still a surprise though, and it should make up for it.

I chose a blue letter for today because I know you said you don’t like blue. Except I think you lied so you could make a silly joke on me. It’s kinda cute, you know.

Actually, a lot of things about you is cute, whether you like it or not – I know you really don’t, but hear me out; it’s cute when you try hard to look like you’re sulking all the time. Your gummy smile is the most beautiful and cutest one I’ve ever seen (now look how cheesy I can be), and it’s such a pity you try to hide it so hard. It’s cute when you keep changing my orders only to annoy me. It’s cute when you steal my strawberries and then glare at me, as if to say ‘So what’.

I’m not going to say anything else, though. First, because it’s embarrassing on my end, and second because it’d spoil everything. That’s a surprise for letter!

 

I miss you, Hyukkie

 

“Is that from your boyfriend?” Siwon asks curiously as he peeks at the letter from over his shoulder.

 

With an offended hiss, Hyukjae gives him a hard scowl and tries to shoo him away, but Siwon is way taller than he is. When he tries to punch him and hopefully ruin a bit of his handsome face, all he gets is a snicker and an infuriation tut-tut from the older. Huffing, he glares at the manager (which is also kind of his friend, but he doesn’t really want to admit it) and opens the envelope to read whatever is written inside.

 

People call me Donghae, but you can call me tonight! *wink wink* (haha sorry, always wanted to say that)

 

In a corner of the envelope, there’s a phone number scribbled with a small smiley (Donghae is not really good with drawing, he notes), which elicits an amused chuckle from Hyukjae.

 

“Wow,” the other comments slyly. “If he even gets you to smile like this, then he’s got you totally smitten.”

 

Hyukjae whips around and murderously glare at him. “Shut the up, you prick!

 

But Siwon does note that there’s no real heat behind his crude words.

 

*

 

We said you would call me yesterday night,” Donghae whines in the phone when Hyukjae calls him the next morning.

 

The single-lidded man snickers brightly, shivering a little as he makes his way to work. It’s cold and still early in the morning, but he doesn’t seem to care as much as he usually does. Readjusting his scarf tightly around his exposed throat, he listens to Donghae’s pouty grumbles, before he finally speaks up “We never did,” he retorts lightly. “You, on the other hand…”

 

You’re no fun at all, do you know that?” the other sniffs. “Are you on your way to Starbucks right now?

 

“Yep,” Hyukaje replies with a hum. “I’m at a street away, shouldn’t be long until I have to hang up.”

 

Oh,” he sighs into the phone.

 

The barista waits for a second, his heart skipping a beat upon hearing the blatant disappointment in the other man’s tone. “And you, what are you doing?”

 

All that can be heard for a moment is undefinable sounds, until Donghae speaks up again, his voice suddenly dropping of an octave and sounding way much ier and husky “Do you really want to know? Because I’m not sure if you’re ready to hear that, babe.

 

“Don’t call me babe,” Hyukjae snaps. He splutters incoherently and feels the tip of his ears redden embarrassingly. “And no, I do not want to know whatever you do with your pitiful life, you great ert.”

 

Donghae bursts out laughing and his voice recovers its normal tone. Pushing the main doors open, Hyukjae scowls as he enters Starbucks, which earns him a curious look from Siwon and Henry.

 

“I’m hanging up, you prick,” he hisses grumpily.

 

Sure, babe,” His voice is teasing and cheerful. “Anyways, you can expect another gift tonight. I’ll pick you up when you’re shift is done, and then I’m taking you out on a date.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to ask me first instead of deciding on your own?” Hyukjae grumbles as he ties his green apron around his waist.

 

Where’s the fun in that,” he retorts with a laugh. “And this way, I’m sure you can’t say no.

 

Hyukjae raises a disbelieving eyebrow and scoffs. “Wanna bet?”

 

Certainly not!” Donghae’s reply is rushed and slightly panicked, which prompts a smug smirk from Hyukjae, before he quickly adds “Anyways, bye, see you tonight, I miss you, Hyukkie!

 

The line hurriedly goes dead, and Hyukjae stares at his phone with amused eyes before he sighs in bemusement. He has to go back at the main counter to hold the shop, but he’s even more daydreaming and absentminded today than usual. He’s lazily bending over the main counter, his arms folded on the wooden surface as he rests his head on them. Glancing at a couple going all lovey-dover in a corner, he absently remembers that it’s Valentine’s Day, while Donghae’s low and warm voice resonates in his head.

 

I miss you, Hyukkie!

 

Just by thinking about it, it makes his heart flutter faster in his chest, and he suddenly feels too hot. “What a jerk,” he groans quietly and buries his face into his arm.

 

*

 

Around closing time, Hyukjae is cleaning the empty tables tiredly. The special promotion of Valentine’s Day drew couples in like honey would have on bees, and as a result, he’s been working all day long without a moment to breathe, except from his short lunch break. His shoulders feel too sore and he’s completely exhausted. As he’s about to release a long yawn (damn decency at this hour of the day (it’s barely nine dud – shut up)), when two strong arms wraps themselves around his waist. He yelps in surprise and whips around, ready to slap whoever it is with his dirty rag. But instead of some ugly, erted man, he meets Donghae’s familiar eyes staring right into his.

 

“Hi!” he greets with a chuckle, as if it’s totally normal to hug someone he actually doesn’t know that well.

 

Hyukjae blinks at him in confusion, his hands unconsciously gripping on the other’s biceps. “What the hell are you doing?” he tries to hiss, but it comes way weaker than he would have liked. He feels warm and comfortable in his arms, which makes it difficult for him to find a reason to push him away.

 

“Are you almost done?” Donghae asks, stubbornly keeping him close. “I have a surprise.”

 

Rolling his eyes at him, Hyukjae finally manages to struggle out of his embrace. “Again? What is it this time?”

 

“Wouldn’t be a surprise anymore if I told you,” he slyly smirks at him. “Can you ask your manager to finish early? It’s only fifteen minutes before closing time, anyway.”

 

“Who says I want to?” Hyukjae haughtily retorts and childishly crosses his arms on his chest. “Maybe I don’t want to go out on a date with you at all and that I already called the police to arrest you for ual harassment.”

 

“Of course you did,” he mockingly coos at him, then gently entangles his arms and threads their fingers together. It feels nice, Hyukjae absently notes as he glances at their linked hands. “Cranky Hyukkie feels unsafe around the meanie Donghae, huh? Poor darling. Now be a nice date and go change.”

 

“Don’t ing give me orders,” he snaps back, slaps him with the dirty rag (he really wanted to do that) before stomping to the backroom.

 

As he closes the door behind him, he can hear Siwon snicker “You’re so whipped.”

Shut up, you .

 


VI.

//

“You should at least let me go back home so I can change in something else,” Hyukjae grumbles as they walk out of the subway station.

 

Donghae gives him a small grin and takes the lead towards his flat. “No need,” he replies lightly. “I still think you look really good even if you’re in casual clothes. And we’re just going to mine; you can take a shower or borrow something, if you really must.”

 

Hyukjae spares him a small glance before he looks away, feeling a bit awkward. To be honest, it’s been a long time since the last time he went on a date and it feels like his skills have gotten quite rusty. It’s hard for him to remember what are the usual unwritten rules of a first date, how he can make the mood a little bit more comfortable (at least on his end, because Donghae looks pretty fine) or even what kind of stuff they could talk about.

Plus, he still doesn’t know what to think of Donghae. At this point, even after the fairly short time they spent together at Starbucks, he believes that he doesn’t mean any harms and that his intentions are genuine and not bad (even if definitely strange). Still, it doesn’t help him to know what he’s supposed to feel for him. From what he gathered these past days while chatting together, he knows that he is an undeniably nice and handsome man, very caring, and who never fails to surprise someone and make them feel like they’re the center of the freaking universe. Most people would give anything to find a person like him and fall in love with them – except Hyukjae isn’t everyone.

He wants to think that he’s still safe, that there’s no risk of actually falling too deeply in this thing Donghae is trying to build between them. He tries to force himself to believe that he has complete control of the situation and that everything is still just the way he needs them to be.

But, as he barely notices that they just went out of an elevator he doesn’t remember having gotten in and that they stop in front of the last door of the floor, Donghae then tilts his head around to give him a beaming smile, one that makes him almost believe that he’s the sole reason of his happiness – and suddenly, he’s not so sure about anything at all.

 

*

 

The flat is not incredibly spacious, but nicely cozy and very Donghae-like. The decoration is rather messy in his opinion, with all the antiques and pictures fitted haphazardly, but it’s still very charming. Everywhere Hyukjae looks, a motley palette of colors attracts his eyes – beige, blue, grey, lemon green, pale yellow, black – which makes the whole apartment look livelier than most of them, exactly like its owner. While Donghae hurriedly hides some compromising stuff away (principally a bunch of underwear he pushes under a drawer), Hyukjae curiously looks around with fascinated eyes. The overall atmosphere of the flat is lovely and comfortable, which quickly allows him to feel more at ease than earlier. He lets out a discreet breath and wills himself to relax a little, since he’s really supposed to have a good time.

 

“So I know it’s not your typical date,” Donghae says lightly as he goes in the kitchen corner. “But I wanted to do something original. Well, kind of, I guess?”

 

“I can’t decide if it’s original or not if you don’t tell me, you great idiot,” Hyukjae rolls his eyes at him as he flops down on a stool of the bar. Donghae gives him a sheepish grin and hands him a soda can.

 

“I thought we could make dinner together?” Donghae eventually proposes as he opens the fridge. “I went grocery shopping this afternoon with Sungmin and Kyuhyun. They even gave me a recipe so it’s easier. How does it sound?”

 

Scrunching his nose up a little because he’s not very good at cooking, Hyukjae shrugs and stands up to move next to Donghae. He silently reads the paper he holds in his hands and looks around the kitchen to see if they really have all the needed ingredients, until he spots something stuck on the fridge with a magnet. Curious, he discreetly peeks at it when the other man thinks he’s still looking at the recipe.

 

Harry Potter = books? movies? posters? definitely can’t be something related to Draco Malfoy.

Dogs = ? petshop?

Strawberry cake! Have to ask Sungmin for help

Must give phone number!

Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae. Lee Hyukjae. Hyukkie. Hyukkie ~

 

“You okay?” Donghae frowns at him and pulls him out of his stupefaction.

 

As an uncontrollable glee warms his entire body up, Hyukjae gazes at him in wonder, before a sly and defiant smirk spreads on his plump lips.

 

Bring it on.”

 

*

 

One hour later, the food is still nowhere to be done (honestly, they forgot what the dish they were supposed to make is around ten minutes after starting), but they’re laughing like little kids and the kitchen is experiencing the biggest mess of its time. There’s eggshells on the floor, oil smeared on the counter, vegetables scattered on the floor and chocolate sauce on their faces (even though it originally wasn’t supposed to be in the recipe). In the end, after they realized that it’s a totally lost case, they settle with ordering black bean noodles via a quick phone call and flop down in front of the TV to watch some chick-flick drama they can’t help laughing at.

After having eaten two bowls of jjajangmyeon each and emptied three bottles of coke, Hyukjae has completely forgotten about his previous concerns and is completely enjoying himself.

 

“I have a last surprise for you,” Donghae smiles up at him when it’s the commercial break. He’s half-sprawled on the couch and Hyukjae, but he doesn’t seem to really care anymore (he did swat the back of his head a few times at first, though). “Stay here, ok?”

 

“Do I really have a choice?” Hyukjae playfully raises an eyebrow at him, but Donghae doesn’t wait for an answer and excitedly jumps on his feet.

 

While the single-lidded man sends him a questioning look, he rushes to what must be his bedroom. He waits for him to come back for a second or two, before a funny advertisement on diapers appears on the screen. He shrugs before turning his attention back on the TV.

 

Donghae finally comes back a short moment later, still looking excited but slightly hesitant as well, this time. “Here.” Hyukjae looks up at him curiously and notes that he’s holding a cardboard box with small holes all around it, distinctively larger than the bags he sent him the past week.

 

“What is it?” he asks.

 

“I’m – I’m not sure if you’re going to like it,” he hears Donghae mumble as he carefully takes the box. “It’s not refundable, to be honest, so I really, really hope I’m going to have good feedback for this one, and –”

 

Hyukjae raises an eyebrow at him and snorts, though not unkindly “Shut up, you’re ranting.” Without waiting for another second, he opens the box – and promptly feels his jaw drop in stupefaction.

 

In the middle of it, there’s a small, white puppy curled into a fluffy ball and peacefully sleeping. It’s bundled up into blue covers with red strawberries printed on it, looking so cute Hyukjae has a hard time to stop himself from cooing.

 

“Oh my God,” he mutters when it suddenly hits him. “You can’t be serious.”

 

Donghae gives him a shy, toothless grin. “I really am,” he says before going to sit down next to him. “A friend’s dog got pregnant and it’s one of her babies. It’s a girl and her name is Yuki. And – it’s my last gift, I guess.”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t say a word for a moment, staring at Donghae with a stunned expression. “You're giving me a puppy?”

 

“I – yes. You don’t like it? Jongwoon hyung brought it just before I went to fetch you at Starbucks. She’s been sleeping ever since…”

 

“No, no. I mean – wow. That’s wonderful,” Hyukjae says breathlessly. He gazes at the small puppy and bites on his lower lip at the blatant cuteness. “She's so cute! I just can’t believe – Yuki, you said?”

 

Donghae nods, relieved that Hyukjae’s reaction isn’t bad. “Yeah. It means happiness and also –” Hyukjae lifts his head up when he stops talking, looking embarrassed. Without a word, he nudges his knee and prompts him to continue. “…It sounds like Hyukkie.”

 

“You – what?” He can’t help it, but the next second, he bursts out laughing.

 

It’s just so incredible, and cute, and weird, but still so nice – and so Donghae, that he can’t hold back the happy fits of laughter that escape his lips. Still chuckling continuously, he feels an uncontrollable happiness bloom up in his chest, and his lips curl over his teeth and gums before he can’t realize it. His smile is so wide it makes his cheeks feel sore, but he doesn’t care one bit because it’s Donghae, and that’s enough. He carefully picks Yuki up and gathers her in his arms as she starts to stir awake, whimpering quietly.

 

“Hey Hyukjae?” Donghae calls slowly, his voice soft and barely above a whisper.

 

The single-lidded man tilts his head around to smile at him, just in time to see Donghae lean down, and suddenly there’s a pair of thin lips pressed against his. Time seems to take an abrupt stop as Hyukjae widens his eyes incredulously, the warmth covering his mouth feeling so real and unreal at the same time. He stills in surprise, restraining a squeak and hurriedly fluttering his eyes hut when Donghae slowly starts moving his lips. The kiss is shy, almost innocent as their mouth slowly move one against another. It sends sparkles of pleasure rush through Hyukjae’s body, the sudden sensations flaring within him feeling too breathtaking, and unforgettable, and so many things he can’t find words to describe. He feels Donghae sighing in contentment against his mouth before he slightly tilts his head to the side and gently deepens their bashful lip-lock. Two warms hands then cup his face, pulling him closer despite the small puppy still squeezed between the two of them.

With confused hesitation, he slowly parts his lips and welcomes Donghae’s curious tongue with a shaky breath. He feels his heart skip a beat when their pink, wet muscle touch for the first time, before shyly curling together. It’s slow and slightly awkward with Yuki still between them, but altogether wonderful. Hyukjae can feel the gentleness and all the sincere feelings Donghae is trying to pour in this short, but wonderful lip-lock, and it’s so great it’s almost hard for him to believe that he’s not dreaming.

The kiss lasts only for few more seconds, upon which Hyukjae has to restrain himself from groaning in heated pleasure when Donghae sensually slides his tongue along his own, before they break apart slowly, almost reluctantly. Then, carefully as if scared to ruin the moment, they open their eyes, and Hyukjae feels himself becoming completely breathless at all the feelings he can see unashamedly shining behind Donghae’s orbs.

Yuki then takes this opportunity to bark softly, and it violently pulls him out of his daze. With a horrified gasp, Hyukjae jumps on his feet in panic.

 

“I need to go,” he utters out.

 

Before Donghae can find a way to stop him, the door of his flat already slams behind him.


Now here we are,
So close yet so far.
Haven't I passed the test?
When will you realize,
Baby, I'm not like the rest? –♦


VII.

//

Hyukjae lethargically lays on his bed and absently watches Yuki happily running around his flat. As she lets out a bark that sounds more like a cute squeak, he turns on his stomach with a desperate groan.

Donghae’s sweet taste still lingers on his lips, making his insides clench painfully. A bunch of confusing emotions rush through him every time he thinks back of the short kiss they shared, and it makes him feel breathless all over again. He tries hard to forget about everything that happened tonight because he knows he will only get hurt in the end, and nothing else. But it’s hard and he truthfully doesn’t know if it will ever be possible. Just by glancing at the fluffy white ball bouncing on his couch, memories of their first date bombard him violently.

 

“I can’t,” he says to himself. “I really can’t.”

 

Yuki curiously tilts her head in his direction, before she jumps down the couch and rushes to him excitedly.

 

Of course he likes him. How can he not? Despite all the efforts he put in avoiding this exact situation, he can’t deny the strong feelings that he has for Donghae. They are here, building in a part of his heart that he’s been trying so hard to keep hidden from everyone. It’s confusing, terrifying, horrible, wrong – but also ing wonderful. Fears of ending heartbroken are messily battling with the urge to go back in Donghae’s embrace and kiss him until they can’t breathe anymore.

Yukie difficultly climbs on the bed and makes small, clumsy steps until she stops in front of Hyukjae’s face, her tongue sticking out and her tail wiggling happily.

He glances at her, and remembers Donghae’s hurt and confused face when he hurriedly ran away from him.

 

“I’m stupid, aren’t I?” he mumbles as he gently his new puppy.

 

Yuki blinks before she flops down on her belly and whimpers quietly.

 

Of course you are.


I know you're scared it's wrong
Like you might make a mistake –♦


VIII.

//

Later that night, after he managed to gather his thoughts together again and that his heart isn’t aching from both the kiss and Hyukjae’s abrupt escape, Donghae anxiously dials his number. He’s pacing around his apartment like a lion in cage, nervously biting on his fingernails as he prays for the single-lidded man to answer his call.

 

Hello, this is Lee Hyukjae’s phone, you can leave a message after the –

 


On Friday you went home alone
There were tears in your eyes
I called your cell phone, my love
But you did not reply –♦


IX.

//

“You should call him,” Siwon quietly tells him over the phone when he calls him in a rush. “Except if you plan on not coming to work next Monday, and for the rest of your life, there’s no way you can avoid this forever.”

 

The line goes dead.

 

*

 

“Hyung…” Henry nervously bites on his lower lip as he watches Hyukjae sprawled over the couch. “Siwon hyung told me to drop by your flat to give you sandwiches… We’re worried for you, hyung. You can’t possibly be so depressed just because of a boy, right?”

 

Hyukjae honestly wonders the same thing.

 

*

 

Donghae – 11:36PM

Are you ok? Please call me…

 

*

 

Donghae – 11:58PM

Are you mad at me? I didn’t mean to upset you

 

Hyukjae sniffs tiredly and blankly stares at his phone, Yuki cradled in his arms. “I know you didn’t, you dolt.”

 

*

 

Donghae – 12:23

Love isn’t about being sure, but about having feelings strong enough to take the risks.

 

Donghae – 12:29

I know it’s scary, but I promise it can be the most wonderful feeling ever. It only depends of what we make out of it.

 

Donghae – 12:30

I swear I won’t hurt you. I really, really like you, Hyukjae. I’m willing to take the risks for you. I know you’ve been hurt before, and that you’re scared that it might happen again. I can’t promise we won’t have fights, or that everything will always be fine, but I can try and do my best to give your heart a break. One step at a time.

 

Hyukjae reads the last text he’s received with a sharp pain tugging at his heart.

 

*

 

Donghae – 11:57PM

I miss you Hyukkie. Good night ♥

 

 I miss you too, Hyukjae quietly thinks as he goes to bed. But is it really worth it?

 

*

 

On Saturday night, after thinking about this situation the whole day and ending up with a horrible headache, Hyukjae has finally came to a decision. It’s hard for him to do that, and he clearly isn’t sure of whatever he’s doing, but it looks like the best choice he made in a long, long time.

He’s still scared and he can’t say that he fully trusts Donghae yet. But one step at a time means they won’t rush anything, and that he understands the reason why he’s so reluctant about building a romantic relationship with anyone – with him.

Risks mean pain, yes – but not bravely facing them also means that he’s missing so many things that he will never be able to experience. Maybe, just maybe, Donghae can ease the ache and make things so much easier.

 

“I’m making the right choice, aren’t I?” he quietly asks Yuki and scratches the back of her ears.

 

This time, it’s a cheerful bark he gets as a reply.


Don't wanna break your heart
Maybe, I can ease the ache, the ache –♦


X.

//

When Donghae agitatedly wakes up on Sunday morning, it’s because of the annoying noise and buzzing his phone is making on the bedside table. Grumbling incoherently under his breath, he reaches for it with a groan and opens the text message he’s just received.

 

Hyukjae – 7:24AM

Hi. Guess what? I have a new boyfriend.

 

His eyes widening in shock, Donghae sits up with an abrupt jerk. “What the–”

 

Donghae – 7:25AM

What the hell?? Who the is he??

 

He anxiously waits for an answer while pain violently flickers through him. After all that happened between the two of them, even if it was short, is this how Hyukjae will end everything? By going to some other guy and dumping him like a dirty sock?

Then, another text makes his phone buzz quietly in his hands. He hurriedly opens it and finds a picture sent along a short line; it’s Hyukjae, shyly smiling at the camera while still trying to look smug, with Yuki cutely pressed against the side of his face with her tongue sticking out. While he feels a gleeful warmth spread within him, he looks down to read the small words under the picture.

And smiles.

 

Hyukjae – 7:27AM

It’s you, you dolt.

 

*

 

“Hey, Hyukjae?” Donghae says over the line after having immediately dialed Hyukjae’s number.

 

What?” he hears the other mumble with slight embarrassment.

 

“I just really, really, really like you.”

 

“…Shut up.” A brief pause, and Donghae can perfectly picture him squirming uncomfortably. “…me too.


The day I first met you
You told me you'd never fall in love –♦


bad chapter is bad. how the hell did it become 14 pages. the ending is so horrible I want to cry.

Anywayzz, I hope you guys still liked it, and special wink at YukinoKara cause the dog's name is Yuki and it's just overly cute, and I thought it was funny. I kinda modified the lyrics with On Friday instead of On Sunday, so it could fit the plot better.

This is Demi Lovato's song, and I'm just borrowing its lyrics. I'm not a great fan, but she's still a great singer.

 

Happy late Valentine's Day, folks! Please remember to leave some feedback (I prefer them nice and looong ;) )