Three Stars

Misfits

 

Before decaying flowers, before crushed galaxies, there were cards.

 

Post cards.

 

And so the twinkling little star, along with the tall, towering tree would sit on familiar rooftops, with a baby blue blanket wrapped tightly around them, like a veil that hid something vulnerable from the outside world.

 

And the little dreamer would hold the cards close to his chest, fingertips turning white as he caught his precious little glimpses of another tomorrow. The post cards promised ginormous skyscrapers, millions of flickering lights that shone like galaxies, and cars zooming across highways, their lights becoming a blur like the tail of a comet.

 

“One day,” Taemin would whisper, eyes overflowing with want as his finger traced the outline of a building; his eyes would be cloudy, showing the reflection of a thousand universes.

 

“We’ll live there.” Hands were slowly inching together, shoes bumping against each other lightly, whispering silent promises into the midnight sun.

 

“We’ll live in a grand apartment, all the way on the tip-top floor.” Taemin promised into Minho’s neck, eyelashes fluttering like little butterflies.

 

“And we’ll be happy.” Taemin says into red and gold leaves, his voice cracking in the last few syllables as he burrows his head into Minho’s welcoming chest.

 

Thin skin cages the fluttering heartbeat Taemin feels through gentle hands. And Minho’s lips start trailing the familiar route down Taemin’s body, kissing a soft red on top of harsh purple.

 

“I promise, I promise.” Minho sings into Taemin’s skin, sparking a little flicker of hope in a vast, empty room.

 

And Taemin makes a little noise, a slight whimper and it almost seems as if Taemin was saying ‘liar’ but his words are carried away by a flurry of stars. And so post cards fly off into the wind, remaining unattainable.

 

 

--

 

 

The world is covered in a translucent shroud of night and glitter and Minho is running, running so fast his throat burns, fire at his lips, at his tired legs and he keeps running, silently praying to the stars above.

 

Because today is Star Day and Taemin is nowhere to be seen.

 

And he runs to that little park, deserted and closed, holding the laughter and joy of stubby little fingers and bright smiles. Minho quickly jumps over the rusted fence, worn shoes harshly hitting the sand with a loud thump, rushing over to the small lump of broken dreams that lay resting on the park bench.

 

He collapses onto the wooden bench, its white paint peeling into a dirty, diluted gray like a brilliant star that was reduced to ashes. And he carefully runs his fingers in the mess of tangled locks Taemin calls hair, calming his harsh breaths that sound abnormally loud in the dead of night.

 

There are tiny little patterns drawn across Taemin cheeks, where stray tears washed away grime. He laughs but it sounds hollow and empty, almost melancholy as he slumps his head into Minho’s lap, eyes hiding underneath the rays of a dying sun.

 

“The finally left.” Taemin says with a twisted smile, his chest is moving but his eyes, his once beautiful eyes are dead, glassed over in a permanent purgatory.

 

There are cuts across Taemin’s cheeks too, along with dark bruises down his neck that resemble the imprints of fingers. He even smells like dead flowers too, an unmistakable stench that leaves a heavy feeling in Minho’s chest.

 

“But she took-” Taemin stops himself, out of focus eyes staring at a stain on Minho’s shirt, fluttering eyelashes batting away ocean tides.

 

“She took Yoogeunie.” Taemin whispers, hands clutching Minho’s jacket as he burrows himself in Minho’s warm chest, contrasting the cool autumn air.

 

And Minho holds him, rocking gently back in forth as Taemin stays in his dream like trance, numbing his black hole so he won’t feel the deaths of super novae.

 

The stars are starting to fade away; the sun gently removes the sparkly shroud he cast around the world, revealing a sight of dazzling pinks and purples. And Taemin interlaces his hand with Minho’s as they watch the sun rise, tree branches holding onto skin tightly strewn over bones.

 

“Let’s run away.” Taemin says as the birds start to sing precious melodies, lulling the clouds from their dark slumber.

 

“Just you and me, no one has to know, no one will care anyways.” Taemin mumbles as he pulls the lapels of Minho’s jacket around his bony shoulders, wiggling himself even closer to Minho’s warmth.

 

Minho’s jacket covered palms rest around Taemin’s torso, lying softly on top of Taemin’s soft little tummy, chin lazily in the crook where Taemin’s shoulder meets his bruised neck.

 

“We could do it, you know. Take the nearest train out of here and just go.” Taemin continues, resting his heavy head against Minho’s.

 

“And where,” Minho says into Taemin’s ear lowly and quietly, fully aware that he’s about to crush even more broken stars.

 

“Where would we go? We barely have any money, we can’t hop around motels, we wouldn’t have any food, or transportation, and we’d have no one to-”

 

“We’d have each other.” Taemin interrupts, frustration woven in his words.

 

“I have you and you have me, that’s all that matters.” Taemin says gently, words almost lost to the cool wind that breezes through the park, winding itself through their hair.

 

“You’re all I have left, you’re the one thing he can’t take from me.” Taemin says faintly, heavy eyelids finally closing on red rimmed irises.

 

“You can’t leave me.” Taemin sighs into Minho’s temple, finally losing the battle to the ever tempting lullaby of sleep, finally giving in to her sweet dreams.

 

“Don’t leave.” Taemin mutters drowsily, body going slack in Minho’s hold as dim indigo fades softly into a pale celeste, with cotton candy clouds flying delicately next to it.

 

And Minho lays his chapped lips against the tiny dragon’s forehead, turning his head up to the sky lazily, slightly curled hair falling into his tired eyes.

 

“Silly boy,” Minho says to the tittering birds and blooming flowers.

 

“I couldn’t leave you even if I tried.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--

welp here's the third chappie ^-^ thanks for reading guys, all of you are precious, twinkling stars <3 and I cannot stress this enough, if anything is unclear or confusing don't be scared to ask~ I pinkie promise to respond (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧