"Teach Kari Hangukeo 101" Chapter Eight

I Don't Speak Korean!

In a day, I managed to figure out what 'oppa' and 'dongsaeng' mean. I figured out other honorifics, too. Like 'unnie', 'sunbae', 'sshi' and 'nim'. I also figured out how to say, "yes", "no", "I'm hungry! Feed me, please!" and "I'm very bad at Korean, can you speak English?"

That was all that I needed at the moment. I didn't speak a whole lot because I figured out that deciphering English was a lot harder than deciphering hand motions. The other TEEN TOP members began to catch on quickly. So, I became a mine that laughed and squeaked and was actually really bad at miming. 

"This – this your bihaengkiyo – whoosh –" the teenager called Ricky tried to explain, reaching his arms out to act out a plane. I let out an amused giggle and nodded, signalling for him to continue. "Leave, when it leave. Bihaengkiyo leave this time." 

I looked at the date and slowly translated the date on my ticket out of here. I'd leave in four days. Four days of struggling how to survive in South Korea and taking the speediest course ever in Hangukeo. "Airplane," I said to try and soothe the concerned, charming eyes in front of me. "Bihaengkiyo. Airplane." 

I raised my right when I said 'bihangkiyo' and did the same with my left hand when I repeated 'airplane' then pressed my palms together. I was showing him that they were the same word. His eyes smiled but he continued to abuse his heavenly lips. Oh dear, why was everyone in TEEN TOP so handsome? Why did they all have their certain charms to them? I wanted to squeeze Ricky's cheeks and sloppily kiss his childish lips and hug him like he was my security blanket. "Ayy-errr-puh-layn-uh."

"Ne!" I exclaimed, clapping my hands together excitedly. That was how to say 'yes'. I didn't know why I was so proud to learn that, considering it was probably the easiest thing to learn about Hangukeo. Slowly, for sure, I was learning a new language and I guess that's why I was proud. Ricky grinned finally, his lips shining as brilliantly as his eyes. I loved his grin. It was probably the most pure, most innocent grin I've ever seen. It didn't make me flush and stutter. It made me feel warm inside, like Disney-movie warm. Running-through-a-field-of-daisies warm, even. 

The other TEEN TOP members were doing their own thing all over the dorm. Almost all of them played those computer roleplaying games that were super popular. Of course, being super popular, I had no idea how such things worked. Grr, I wish I was able to get super popular stuff at home, too. C.A.P oppa (he was the one to teach about the whole oppa-dongsaeng, older guy/younger girl respectful relationship) was taking a nap on Ricky's bed. He was trying to be part of "Teach Kari Hangukeo 101" but had drifted off when Ricky and I ended up calling off movie titles we knew to see if the other knew about it. 

From what I gathered, Ricky adored Hollywood suphero movies. He knew of some Disney movies but other than that, he didn't know too much else. He was more of a Korean movie type of guy which I didn't mind. It just meant that I had start watching Korean movies. Maybe if I can talk better in the next few days, someone could take me to see a Korean movie. 

"You have sister... brother?" Ricky asked in his super cute, heavily accented English. I nodded excitedly, bringing one finger to my cheek. 

"Brother... er, namja dongsaeng," I said with a small nod. I was missing Kyreese a whole lot, as much as this experience was taking up my thinking time. I always heard Kyreese's gun noises and explosions in the back of my mind and I always expected him to be around the corner, playing with his Frakenstein Bionicles and array of other toys. I really hoped he liked the Super Smash Bros. game I got him, especially since it's been all he was asking for since last Christmas. "Kyreese."

"Kah-ee-ree-suh," Ricky repeated, his slur garbling my brother's name in the most adorable way. "Hyung isseoyo. I have a bruh-der. Youngjin." 

I slowly processed the Hangukeo in my head. "Youngjin?" I repeated, making sure I got the name right. Ricky nodded, grinning from ear to ear. Gosh, was he adorable. I clapped as a response to his nod and we had both ended up laughing. 

We tried to talk to each other as much as we could. Although, really, Ricky and I just laughed at each other's English and Hangukeo. C.A.P oppa woke up a once in a while, taught me a few things from time to time, but he always drifted back to sleep. I loved the way he slept, it was as if he was just a giant big teddy bear. Niel oppa came around, too, smiling widely and made me say words without knowing the meaning to them. I was sure that Niel was teaching me swears so I tried to erase them from my memory as quickly as I could. Niel oppa was a huge bug and prankster, but he was also big on being nice to everyone. He contradicted himself in that way but I was glad to know he was comfortable with me to do both. No matter how annoying it got. 

Still, the person I clung to most was Ricky. I didn't even call him oppa and no one seemed to mind. He'd huff every now and then but he'd smile the more I'd talk to him in Hangukeo. He and I managed to be close, simply because we both smiled at each other as a way of communication. It was a universal language, something he and I would only understand. Sometimes, I didn't even need to mime at him to get what I needed. He'd look at me, smile, then tell the other TEEN TOP members what I wanted.

The next four days might very well be easy, after all.