Final ~

Jealousy Is a Funny Thing

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

They didn’t even know how it started.

They just knew that on the first day of school, a tall and awkward boy with glasses shyly introduced himself to the rest of the classroom.

-”H...Hello everyone...My name is P...Park Chanyeol, please take care of me” - he said in his deep yet high voice, bowing a little to the rest of the class.

 

Baekhyun watched him from afar, noticing how he sat down on the far corner of the classroom, not really talking to anyone and just answering with stutters whenever the teacher asked for a question. He didn’t know why but he approached him at lunch time. There was something that just caught the attention of 10 year old Byun Baekhyun.

 

-”Hello… Is this seat taken?” - Baekhyun asked with a little smile, giggling internally at the sight of Chanyeol, looking at him with his big big eyes, a half munched piece of sandwich on his mouth.

 

Chanyeol nodded slightly and Baekhyun smiled, placing his lunch tray on the table and sitting in front of the other boy.

 

-”So...let me just introduce myself.” - Baekhyun said boldly, looking at Chanyeol with (what he hoped was) a friendly smile - “I’m Byun Baekhyun”

 

-”Yeah...I know who you are” - whispered Chanyeol - “We are classmates after all”

 

Baekhyun chuckled. He liked the guy.

 

-”I like you.” - Baekhyun smiled, making Chanyeol blush. - “Let’s be friends”

And just like that, they became friends. Wherever Baekhyun went there went Chanyeol, and wherever Chanyeol went there was Baekhyun. They shared lunches, laughs and games in which they wasted their weekends away.

 

Years passed and they were on their senior year of High School. Awkward puberty changes had already passed and Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s friendship was still going strong.

 

Baekhyun had grown up to be a snarky little boy (I’m not little! - Baekhyun would say - Everyone looks like a dwarf next to this Giant!), with a voice most people would kill for (only rivaled by their Choir teacher, Jongdae) and a love for eyeliner, with squared smiles and white sharp teeth.

 

Chanyeol had grown up to be a tall tall boy, his deep voice making all girls swoon (and a lot of boys too) his rapping skills no one could beat (except maybe that guy who signed a contract with a very famous company, what was his name again….oh yeah, Bang Yong Guk) and an innate talent for playing the guitar, his awkwardness… well, that was something he hadn’t had ridden of but well… one gets used to it.

 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

 

Two new boys had arrived the next day at school, it was the “Hot Topic” of the week.

 

-”Have you seen the new guys?”

-”Oh my God, YES!”

-”Did you see the beautiful skin tone of one of them...and oh gosh, his body!”

-”I heard he is a ballet dancer…”

-”But have you seen the other one…?”

-”Yes, his eyes are so big! They say he is part of the Church Choir…”

-”Oh his voice must be heavenly…”

 

-”Are there seriously no more things to talk about besides the new students?” - gruffed Baekhyun, placing his food tray on the table and sitting with a huff.

-”You know how all these people only care about gossip…” - Chanyeol said, already goofing down his food.

-”Yeah but...really?” - Baekhyun rolled his eyes and took a bite out of his apple, huffing in annoyance at the chattering cafeteria.

 

-”Baekhyun hyung…?” - a soft voice said from behind Baekhyun, making him glance backwards and promptly choke on his apple.

-”Jongin…? OH MY GOD!” - Baekhyun screeched, getting up from his chair and hugging the boy named Jongin (who almost lets his lunch tray fall) - “How are you? What are you doing here!? Come, sit down with us”

-”Long time no see, hyung” - Jongin smiled and sat down next to Chanyeol.

-”Oh Yeollie, this is Jongin… Jonginnie, this is Chanyeol” - Baekhyun introduced them.

 

Chanyeol’s stomach twisted uncomfortably at hearing Baek Hyun's nickname for the other boy.

 

-”Hi...” - he mumbled noncommittally, his appetite having disappeared all of a sudden.

-”Hello” - Jongin said with a bright smile.

-”But tell me tell me” - Baekhyun said excitedly, he couldn’t stop smiling at the sight of his friend whom he hadn’t seen in years (since he moved out of his previous house which was like...9 or ten years ago) - “What are you doing here? How are you? OH MY GOD tell me everything”

 

In all his excitement, Baekhyun didn’t notice how Chanyeol stayed quiet on his sit (weird thing since Chanyeol couldn’t stay still… he seemed like he was high on sugar all the time) and stared at his lunch tray, absentmindedly hearing the conversation between his best friend and his apparent “Childhood friend”.

 

He took his lunch tray and got up from the table, his shoulders slumped and his head hung low.

 

Baekhyun didn’t even notice.

 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

 

It became routine after that, Baekhyun disappearing with Jongin to God knows where and leaving Chanyeol to “do his stuff”

 

Chanyeol was getting tired of it.

 

The soft notes of his guitar were the only thing that could calm him down. Baekhyun ditched him for the hundredth time to go with Jongin to watch some ballet recital or...something.

 

A tap on his shoulder startled him, causing him to almost fall out of the chair.

 

-”Hello Chanyeol”

 

He knew that voice. He looked behind him and gasped.

-”Kyungsoo hyung!” - he placed his guitar on the case and stood up from the chair, immediately hugging the boy named Kyungsoo.

-”Chanyeol… I can’t breathe…”

-”Oh, sorry hyung”

 

Chanyeol let him go but grabbed him from his shoulders, his big smile lighting up the room.

 

-”What are you doing here, hyung?” - Chanyeol looked like an excited puppy, making Kyungsoo smile. He had missed his dear friend.

 

-”I moved here… Last week, actually” - Kyungsoo smiled his heart shaped smile.

-”How come I didn’t see you before?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, his smile never wavering.

-”I missed you, Yeollie”

Chanyeol smiled and hugged him again, careful not to take the air out of his hyung’s lungs.

 

None of the two heard what seemed like a sob and the door closing afterwards.

 

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

 

A knock on the door startled him and made him jump on the couch. He paused his game and went to open the door, a surprised gasp escaping his lips at the sight of the person on his doorstep.

-”Baekhyun…?”

-”Hi Yeollie…” - Baekhyun murmured, his head hung low and his hands wriggling the hem of his shirt. - “Can I come in…?

-”Of course!” - Chanyeol opened the door wider and stepped to the side to let Baekhyun enter his house.

-”Hmmm…” - Baekhyun mumbled - “How have you been…?”

 

The sudden question caught Chanyeol off guard and he frowned. This didn’t look like the usual Baekhyun. He took a good glance at him and he noticed that he refused to look at him in the eyes, his shoulders were hunched and his hands kept wriggling the hem of his shirt, his feet shuffling on the floor.

 

-”I’m...confused actually” - Chanyeol said, his eyebrows still furrowed - “Why are you nervous, Baek?”

 

Baekhyun stilled and finally looked at Chanyeol in the eyes,  a small smile on his pink lips.

 

-”I can’t hide anything from you, right?” - he whispered - “You can see right through me…”

-”Of course I can… You’re my best friend”

-”Funny thing… I thought we weren’t anymore” - Baekhyun said.

-”What are you saying?” - Chanyeol looked at Baekhyun intently but Baekhyun refused to look at him in the eyes.

-”You have a new best friend, don’t you…?”

 

Chanyeol straightened his back, making him look taller than he already was. He couldn’t explain, but he felt mad all of a sudden.

 

-”I should be the one saying that” - Chanyeol coldly said - “Since you were the one who replaced me first”

-”That’s not true!” - Baekhyun raised his voice.

-”Oh really?” - Chanyeol clenched his fist, now he felt really angry - “What about all those times you ditched me to go out with Jongin, huh?” - Chanyeol spat.

-”But you did that too!” - Baekhyun yelled, getting angry himself - “You too went out with this Kyungsoo and you were never home when I came for you and you didn’t even answered my calls!”

-”So what? It’s ok for you to get a new friend but it’s not ok for me to do so?” - Chanyeol gave a little step towards Baekhyun, anger coursing through his veins.

-”I’m not saying that! I just… I got jealous because”

-”Jealous, but why?” - Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s shoulders and shook him lightly.

-”I CAN’T LOSE YOU!”

 

Chanyeol’s body stiffened. Baekhyun breathed rapidly, a weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

 

-”I saw you… when you were with Kyungsoo on that classroom and he said that he missed you…” - a tear ran down Baekhyun’s cheek - “I thought that you two had something and I just…” - He started sobbing and Chanyeol went out of his stupor and hugged Baekhyun tightly.

-”I can’t lose you, Yeollie. I can’t…” - Baekhyun sobbed harder on Chanyeol’s shirt and hugged him tightly.

-”You won’t lose me, Baek…” - Chanyeol whispered, caressing Baekhyun’s head to soothe him, rocking them back and forth on their spot.

 

After a little while, Baekhyun’s sobs had stopped, but they still didn’t let go of each other. It felt...nice, being in each other’s arms. It felt...right.

 

Jealousy really is a funny thing.

Because of it, Chanyeol had discovered that what he felt towards Baekhyun was something more than best friend’s love.

Jealousy was what pushed Baekhyun to realize that he was really in love with his tall, awkward, deep voiced, and sometimes stupid, best friend.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________

 

A/N: Fluff? Is this Fluff? o.O Well, I kind of got a little carried away with this.

Written for Kiks, who made a request on our Tumblr page!

And as a bonus, here's a BaekYeol spam (since I love them too /giggles/)

 

image

image

tumblr_n0df3n8KqZ1skm6fio1_500.jpg