12 Hours

Decidedly Off Limits

 

“Just put your arms above your head and when your hands come in contact with the ball clench your fists together,” Jonghyun spun the ball in the air out of frustration, “it’s not that hard dude.”

“I swear to god Jong if you throw that thing at me I will make sure never have children,” Kibum threatened as he tried to get out of his friends throwing range.

“You’re the one that wanted to learn how to play a sport,” Jinki reminded him.

“And you didn’t really object when we suggested football,” Taemin added.

“That’s because you guys gave me three choices,” the blonde haired boy said, “soccer, hockey or football. What’s wrong with badminton?” He ran towards the tallest of the five.

Jonghyun had his arm pulled back ready to throw. He chucked the ball as hard as he could just as Kibum hid behind the brown haired boy. Knowing he couldn’t catch it on time, Minho slapped the ball out of the air a second before it came into contact with his face.

“You at badminton remember,” Minho bent down and picked up the football. He disregarded his friends attempt to cause bodily harm. He adjusted his fingers on the rubber laces and threw it to Jinki in the bleachers, who caught it with ease. Despite the eldest clumsiness, he was actually pretty good at sports. He even plays as a keeper for the schools soccer team. “You have horrible hand-eye coordination. You couldn’t hit a beach ball with a bat if your life depended on it.”

The others laughed along as Kibum flipped them off. “You know what, screw you guys. I’m just trying to get into sports for the sake of conversation.”

Taemin stood up from beside Jinki and ran up to Kibum. “Wait hold up. If you’re not very good at sports that involve contact with human beings or objects, I saw a recruitment poster for the water skiing team.”

 “Hey that’s a good idea,” Jonghyun said grabbing the blonde’s arm, “now we gotta get some muscles on these twigs.” He continued to squeeze the blonde haired boys arm until he got pissed enough to kick at his shins, causing them to both yelp in pain. Taemin threw his head back laughing as he followed his friends into the school before the bell rang. Minho and Jinki followed suit; grabbing their bags off the field and going over their physics homework.

 

&&&

 

“My name is Mrs. Lee and I will be your substitute teacher for today.” She was a tall thin woman who looked like she cared more for her skin than her job. “Mr. Kim is out with a cold but he will be here tomorrow and as I understand you have questions to answer that are due on the 5th,” she walked across the front of the class trying to look authoritative. “Let’s try to keep the noise to a minimum.”

As soon as the teacher sat at the desk behind the room students began talking about anything but the subject, after all C.A.L.M was just a bullsh!t class.

Jonghyun spun around in his seat and stared at Minho.

The taller of the two decided to ignore him hoping that if he closed his eyes and clicked his heels together the Dino boy would disappear.

“Minho,” someone whispered in front of him.

Damn.

It didn’t work.

“Minho, I need your help,” Jonghyun whispered louder.

“Ask the teacher dude, that’s what she’s there for,” he replied, not bothering to look up.

Jonghyun waved his hands, “no it’s not about school. It’s about Jessica.”

“No.”

“Just hear me out,” he said pulling the brown haired boys paper from under his pencil, forcing him to finally look at him. He received a flaming glare in return.

He sighed. “Look Jong, the last time I helped you with your girl problems you made me wear a dinosaur onesee and sing ‘baby, baby’ by the ‘4 men’ with Jinki and Kibum while Taemin danced around us.” He stretched his arm out to him, “now give me back my worksheet.”

“Come on this time it doesn’t involve dressing up or any singing. I promise. “Jonghyun placed his right hand on his chest. Like that was any reassurance to him.

He let out a deep breath. This conversation wasn’t going to go anywhere unless he listened to what his friend was going to say. Leaning back in his chair he folded his arms across his chest and stared at him. Jonghyun took this as a sign to keep talking.

“Okay look, I told you Jessica has a sister right?”

Minho nodded lazily

“It’s our anniversary in a week and I was planning to take her up to Busan for some sun, surf and sand,” he was smiling at himself like it was the best plan ever, “but her parents won’t let her go unless her sister comes with us and it would be a total bore if she was just tailing behind us the whole time, so…’’ he stretched the vowel hoping Minho would catch on. And he did. But he wasn’t planning to hold on to it.

“No.”

“Dude come on I’ll do anything.”

“No.”

“Come on just do me a solid. Sica’s still kinda mad at me for ditching her cheerleading competition to go play video games with you, so as I see it you owe me,” he argued.

“First off no, second you made me go to the arcade with you so you could have an excuse not to see Jessica do flips and in the air, and third NO,” he said more forcefully.

“Please you just have to keep her company for 4 or 5 hours. I’ll do anything.” Jonghyun was practically begging now. Minho could still refuse, just as long as he could keep from making eye contact with the other boy’s puppy eyes. ‘Cause damn he could basically see Jonghyun’s ears drooping.

“Why don’t you ask Jinki?”

“Cause he has a date with that girl from glee club.”

“Kibum?”

“Have you forgotten his sweet but crazy ‘if-you-mess-with-my-man-I-will-go-ape-sh!t-on-you’ girlfriend?”

“Taemin?”

“He’s shacking up with your sister.”

Minho unfolded his arms and leaned forward glaring daggers at Jonghyun, he flinched and moved back.

“Just kidding, just kidding!”

Minho rubbed his eyes. This wasn’t going anywhere.

“I don’t even know what she looks like,” he argued.

 “Yeah you do. She came over to your house last week, she’s like Sulli’s best friend. You know the one with a death glare. Like Sica.”

“Wow, you’re totally selling this right now,” he deadpanned.

Jonghyun smiled at his friend, “Come on. She’s really nice…sometimes.”

Minho sighed. He rubbed his eyes than hid his mouth behind both his hands. Minho’s resolve was chipping away. And they both knew that because Minho was the kind of person to do the stupidest things for his friends,

Even acting like he was in a boy band.

He sighed again. “How long are we gone for?”

Jonghyun showed his megawatt smile. “We leave early morning on Saturday and get back to Seoul before dark, so like 11 or 12 hours.”

“12 hours,” Minho said pointing at Jonghyun, “ONLY 12 hours.”

Jonghyun thanked Minho and placed his paper back on his desk, not wanting to push his luck, Jonghyun turn around and kept out of Minho’s way for the rest of the class.

Well aren’t you strong-willed Choi.

 

 

I don't know how Korean schools work so excuse my mistakes.

CALM: Career And Life Management