Caring for H.I.M.

Him

Jongin kept his eyes closed on the bumpy bus ride to EXO headquarters. He couldn’t stand looking out the window and being reminded of that night. It kept the nerves and the lightheadedness away just to pretend to sleep. It didn’t help that he had a tagalong.

“Does your car not work?” Jongin’s head turned in D.O.’s direction before he looked at him. He had a deer-like expression on his face as he waited for the answer.

“What?”

“I saw that you have a 2009 Corvette ZR1 key on your keyring and I was just wondering…”

“I don’t drive,” Jongin mumbled as he closed his eyes, the anxiety building again.

“Why would you have a car key if you don’t drive?” Jongin felt his teeth start to grind, trying to keep from answering the annoyance that he had to keep with him. He had to remind himself that it was for his hyung.

“It’s only logical that if you have a car key that-”

“Will you shut up?” Jongin said through gritted teeth, his eyes still closed.

“I’m sorry,” Jongin looked at D.O., turned to face the front of the bus, his hands folded in front of him. The look on his face gave no expression but the tone Jongin heard was one of regret.

“Our stop is coming up,” Jongin looked to the flashing sign in the front of the bus telling of the next stop and signaled for it. Jongin stood as the bus stopped, allowing for some passengers to get on and off with them.

 

Jongin’s session with Kim Junmyeon, CEO of EXO Inc, was his only appointment for the day. The president, who had gained his position after the passing of his father, was a rich man indeed. A feature in an entrepeneur magazine, one of the youngest and richest men in South Korea has personally requested Jongin to take his photos.

“I’ve heard much about you, Kim Jongin,” The young millionaire said as he posed behind his desk. Jongin managed a small smile and a nod in his direction. “A great dancer turned great photographer, that’s a story that should be in a magazine.”

 

Jongin remained silent as he pulled the camera to his eye. He would remain behind the lens, silent and only answering with the sound of the shutter. Jongin gave a few orders but Junmyeon took control most of the time. Jongin didn’t really care. He just had to take the best shots and sent them on. The interviewer from the magazine, a young reporter named Oh Sehun, poised questions which the CEO answered between clicks of the camera.

“That’s all I have for questions, Mr. Kim,” Sehun said smiling as he combed his fingers though his blond locks and pushed his glasses up on his face.

“I guess we’re done here,” Junmyeon shouted as he clapped.and stood from his desk. “Thank you, Reporter Oh, Photographer Kim. It’s been a pleasure to meet you both.”

Both men bowed to Junmyeon as they packed up.

“JongIn-sshi, you never introduced your assistant. He’s been quiet this whole time I nearly forgot he was here,” Jongin watched as he walked over to D.O. who stood near the door like a soldier at the ready.

“How do you do…” Junmyeon offered his hand. D.O. turned to him and smiled.

“I am a Hu-”

“D.O..!” Everyone looked at JongIn as he moved to the two of them. “His name is D.O..”

“D.O.? That’s unusual. I bet you have plenty of stories about Jongin,” Junmyeon reached his hand out to grabbed D.O.’s shoulder. Jongin took hold of his wrist, holding his hand inches from D.O..

“He doesn’t like to be touched,” Jongin pulled back. “Sorry. Thank you for your time,” Jongin stepped around the two, opening the door, and bowing to Junmyeon before hurrying out with D.O. following his movements. Jongin quickened his pace toward the elevator.

“Jongin-sshi! Kim JongIn! Kai!” Jongin stopped and turned to Sehun jogged toward him.

“I told you that name in confidence, Sehun-ah,” The younger man smiled as he called the elevator for them.

“It got you to stop, didn’t it?” Jongin removed his camera from his canvas bag, pretending to check to see it was still in one piece. “What was up back there? I thought you would break Mr. Kim’s arm.”

The three individuals stepped onto the elevator, D.O. standing in the corner as Sehun and Jongin occupied the rest of the space.

“It was nothing. I just overreacted.”

“Some overreaction,”Sehun leaned back against the wall of the elevator watching the numbers climb downward. “You think I’ll get those pics before my article is published?”

The two chuckled, the elevator reaching its final destination. Jongin had worked with Sehun before on different editorials and hit pieces and it was always a big hit, but their relationship never moved beyond work.

“Maybe. Get better stories and I’ll get better pictures.”

“Whatever,” Sehun turned to D.O. as they climbed off the elevator. “Nice to meet you, D.O..”

The two exchanged blinks before Sehun took leave first, confused by the blank expression of the little man. Jongin sighed before he continued out of the building to the bus stop and onto the bus back home.

 

Jongin’s eyes were deadset on his workstation, the stylus firmly in his hand. His pupils darted every which way, following the cursor as the photos of Kim Junmyeon were brighten and cropped and altered while keeping the CEO looking the same. Jongin was in his element, giving his full attention and effort to the project at hand. Whether it was dancing or photography, Jongin strived for perfect as the end product. Jongin clicked and dragged the stylus, his focus on the center computer which is why he was surprised when D.O. appeared on side of him.

“You scared me!” Jongin said dropping the stylus.

“I’m sorry,” The intonation that Jongin heard was the same from the bus right. Jongin looked away as he smirked. “I made you some tea while you work,” D.O. placed the cup on the desk.

“Thank you,” Jongin picked up the stylus again and looked at D.O. remained by his side. The deer-like eyes remained on him. Jongin could have swore he saw some emotion but the whirs and clicks of the man before reminded him that he was a robot.

“You can go back to whatever you were doing,” Jongin murmured as his attention went back to work.

“Why did you stop Kim Junmyeon from touching me?” Jongin pressed hard on the touchpad causing the computer to screech.

“What? What do you mean?”

“You deliberately stopped him. Did you not want him to know that I was an android?”

“No! I just…” Jongin didn’t know why he stopped the CEO. Grabbing Junmyeon’s wrist was out of his control. It wasn’t that he didn’t want people to know about the mechanical man. He wasn’t much of a secret with his speech and movements so machine-like but there was just something about D.O. that made Jongin want to keep him to himself. Jongin looked back at mechanical man with his glowing skin.

“Don’t you have some...robot things to do?” D.O. straighten his back before turning and leaving. Jongin watched him as he went into the kitchen and stood looking about the cabinets. It had only been a day and Jongin was feeling almost comfortable with the machine dressed as a man in his home. Yixing had programed this HIM for Jongin but in exactly which way. Jongin stood and walked up to D.O. who was scanning the refrigerator.

“D.O., what has Lay hyung told you about me?”

“Everything I need to assist you in your life.”

“Like what?” D.O. faced Jongin. Jongin would swear to anyone that he could see the man...robot smile at him.

“Kim Jongin, also known as Kai, former professional dancer for SM entertainment. Current occupation: freelance photographer. A lone wolf who likes can be bossy sometimes. Is very good at games and can get very competitive,” Jongin chuckled. Yixing made him seem like someone who was hard to be around, which he was.

“Is warm-hearted and treats others well even if he’s awkward about it. Will always care and protect the one he cares for the most,” Jongin swallowed hard as they continued to stare into each other’s eyes. The whites of D.O.’s eyes were bright, his pupils casting a silvery glow.

“Anything else?”

“Is there anything else?” D.O. asked, his head cocked to the side.

“No,”Jongin stepped back and went to his workstation. “I have work to do.”

Yixing hadn’t told D.O. of Jongin’s accident. It would explain why he questioned about the car key earlier but Jongin felt relieved that D.O.. didn’t know everything.

 

The days continued with more appointments but less awkwardness between Jongin and D.O.

The more D.O. was around, Jongin tried to incorporated him into his life. The android cooked, kept up with Jongin’s appointments, but there was no comfort in a stranger in his house, especially one who was made of wires and no consideration. The invasion of space wasn't just around his workstation but walking into the bathroom on five separate occasions stop being accidents soon after. But each time Jongin would get angry, he could see the android’s face wince for a second before going to its emotionless expression and apologizing. Jongin didn’t know what to do but each time he would regret getting angry, D.O. would once again show that he was just a machine.

 

Jongin got through his shower uninterrupted for the first time in two weeks and made his way to bed, sleep taking over his tired limbs. Jongin dropped onto the full-size bed and huffed. Three deadlines were ahead of him and he just wanted to sleep through them all. Removing his leg and setting it to the side, Jongin slipped under the warm covers and drifted to sleep, but the peaceful sleep didn’t last long. The nightmare began again as the crashing of metal surrounded him and his screams filled the air.

“Kai-sshi! Kai-sshi! Jonginnie!” Jongin shot up, coming face to face with the wide-eyed machine and his heart shaped lips. D.O.’s face was inches away as Jongin tried to calm his breath. D.O.’s hands rested on either side of Jongin, his legs on side of Jongin’s hips.

“Are you okay, Kai?” Jonging snapped back to reality.

“What are you doing in here?” He pushed D.O. back and sat up completely.

“I thought something was wrong,” Kai wiped the sweat that sat on his forehead away. “You were screaming.”

“I-I’m fine! Just leave.”

“I think I should-”

“Get out!” D.O. moved off of the bed and out of the room. He looked back one last time before leaving and closing the door behind him.

Jongin released the breath he didn’t know he was holding . Having D.O. that close was different from any other time he looked at the robot. An urge to hold and pull D.O. in had overcame Jongin and he didn’t know why. Lying again in his bed, he didn’t go back to sleep quickly. D.O. remained on his mind until he did drift off.

 

Jongin nearly tripped over D.O. the next morning, the android laying against the doorframe to his bed room.

“Yah! What the hell are you doing?” Jongin yelled but the figure made no reaction. Jongin kneeled down to see the sleeping face of the figure. The same face he saw when they first met, the flushed cheeks, the soft lips and peaceful look. Jongin’s heart quicken as he continued to stare at the rose lips that sat before him. Jongin remembered touching them and the night before, wondering how soft they would feel. He lifted his hand, reaching for the soft cheek, hesitating before he reached behind D.O.’s ear.

The whirs and clicks entered the air as D.O.’s eyes flicked opened. His head tilted as he smiled.

“Hello, Kai.”

“Why are you in front of my door?”

“I wanted to make sure you were okay from last night,” Jongin stood up, his hands on his hips.

“I’m fine,” Jongin said moved into the kitchen.

“That’s good. I was worried,” Jongin glanced back as D.O. continued to smile, a relaxed look on his face. Jongin clenched his fist as his heart began to race again.