A Gift

Present

Story Title: Like A Star by K.Will

 

06/15/1993

“What’s your name?”

“Kim Soohyun. I’m older than you, so you have to call me Oppa.”

“Araso. I’m Shinhye. Let’s play, Oppa.” The girl with the pony tail urged, tugging the boy’s sleeves. People were still unloading things from the lorry but the two of them were on the world of their own.

 

 

“Kim Soohyun!”

“Oh?!” The boy yelled without looking back.

“Come back here, you rascal!” The female shriek echoed again but now, a hand was already on his left ear, pulling him up.

“Ah, ah, Umma! It hurts! Bye, Shinhye-ya! See you tomorrow!” He managed to say goodbye despite the pain he’s feeling on his ear. That boy was being pulled back to his home but the little girl could only blink her eyes while waving her hand at him.

Their first met wasn’t that smooth but that bad moment was the start of their relationship.

 

05/1995

His hands were on his door, waiting. He was shaking his legs in anxiety but when he could hear footsteps from behind him, he quickly turned around.

“Umma, let me out. Shinhye said she bought a dog. I wanna see it!” The boy whined while stomping his foot.

“Stop seeing that girl, Soohyun-ah. She comes from a bad family, I tell you.”

“But she’s nice. Open the door for me, Umma…”

His mother could only shook her head and walked away. After pausing for a while, Soohyun suddenly ran towards his father’s room and asked him to open the door but too bad, his mother was already a step further.

He couldn’t go out on that day.

 

***

 

 “My mum wrapped this rice ball for you, Oppa.”

“Really? Thanks.” He uttered cheerily and took that small rice wrap into his mouth in one bite. There was only the two of them at the playground. It’s break time and that was the only time that they could meet. “But, Shinhye-ya, my mum mentioned this a lot of time… Is it true that you come from a bad family?” He asked with food filling his mouth.

“Eh? Why?” The clueless girl asked.

“Just to make sure because I don’t understand. Your mum’s nice, and your grandpa too.”

“Maybe it’s because I don’t have a dad.” The girl suddenly lowered her voice and looked down.

“Hey! Cheer up! I don’t care if you don’t have a dad! Yah, what about the dog you have? What’s its name? How does it look like?” The boy pushed his glasses up and asked, changing the topic.

Shinhye’s façade brightened and for the rest of the break, she storied him about her dog, Gomu and nothing other than that was mentioned.

 

09/1995

A little girl like her could already comprehend everything. Why were those people there, what really happened and most importantly, the fact her mother’s already went to the heavens. And she was hurt. Now, she only had her grandfather and also Gomu. Her mother’s gone, just like her father.

Even though not many people came to her house, she was happy enough when she saw that one figure sitting by her verandah.

 

“Shinhye-ya, cheer up. I heard heaven’s a happy place.”

“But she’s not here with me anymore.” She sobbed and wiped her tears. “Oppa, maybe what your mother and all our neighbours said is true. Maybe my family is a bad one.”

“What kind of crazy talk is that? Only nice people go to heaven!” He protested which made the girl a little happy.

“Really?”

“Yeap. Listen, I told my mum I’d be going to Minseok Ahjussi’s house, so I think I should be going. Don’t cry anymore, okay? Take this.”

The boy handed her a small teddy bear but it’s nice enough to hug. It’s supposed to be white but the stuffed teddy bear’s a bit dirty.

“Monggu can accompany you. Take good care of it.”

 

 

07/2002

The night was chilly with the cold wind brushing their hairs. Shinhye was sitting on the swing and Soohyun was beside her. They’re ought to be happy but their expression portrayed the otherwise.

“You’re really leaving?”

“I don’t want to leave. It’s my parents’ wish…”

“No, you should go. That boarding school’s good for you.” She cut his words but she seemed to be choked up as well.

“You think so?” He seemed hesitant, didn’t dare to look at her eyes.

“Just go!” She suddenly turned to him.

 


 

03/16/2014

Dear Umma,

                It’s spring, Umma. I like it and it’s good for me, that’s what they said. You might see that I’m having a hard time each day but don’t worry. I’m fine even though I’m on my own. I’m a tough bull, right? You always said that. I don’t know why, today I just thought of home. Our home, Grandpa, Gomu, and even Appa. People said he’s bad for selling drugs but I know that people make mistakes. I still don’t get why they kept looking and saying bad things at our family when you, grandpa and I didn’t do anything wrong. But I already forgive him and also you, so it’s alright.

                Oh, I also thought of Soohyun Oppa today. Remember the boy in glasses that I always told you? The nerdy guy whom you always made kimbap for? I wonder if he still remembers me though. And about all the things he told me. Tch, I doubt he still did. I don’t think he still remember my face.

                Anyway, I’ll try to stand back up, Umma. For you, Appa, our family. I don’t have anyone with me right now but I hope you’ll take care of me from up there. I love you.

Truly, Shinhye.

 

 

She sighed after closing the hard covered notebook. Her thoughts then unknowingly flew towards her past, her childhood and family. And for sure, towards that particular person. When all people repelled, he’s the only one who stuck close to her. How she missed him…

Countless letters was sent since these past ten years but there’s nothing in return. Could it be that he already moved on and forgot about her?

 

 

 

 

03/16/2014

His heart broke when he saw that thing on the bed. Seeing that the white room was empty, Soohyun slowly dropped himself onto the bed and took that thing into his hand. Memories rushed into his head and soon, tears streamed down from his beautiful eyes.

It’s the teddy bear he gave her more ten years back, his Monggu.

“I’m sorry, Shinhye.” He mumbled under his breath and stood up. He didn’t mean to leave her, in fact, he never forgot about her. It’s just that things got so complicated since he went overseas and he couldn’t do anything to contact her.

But now he’s here, he wanted to make it up everything for that precious lady.

 

After wiping his tears, Soohyun put the bear onto the bed once again and stormed outside.

 

***

 

“Is that her?”

“Yes.”

“Is she fine?”

“She is but I pity her. She has no one.”

Those words broke his heart once again. His brought himself closer to her as the lady was back facing him. How would she look like now? One thing for sure, he knew that her eyes would still be beautiful even after all these while.

His heart was pounding until he finally decided to voice himself out.

 

“Excuse me?”

She snapped at the sudden voice behind her and turned around. But then, she froze. He was right, he thought. Her eyes were still beautiful and so did her face. But she seemed pale.

“Park Shinhye?”

“Y-yes?” She stuttered.

“Remember me?”

 

No answer.

She was still stood frozen until Soohyun brought his body closer to hers and carefully pulled the fragile girl into his embrace. The smell of hospital lingered in his nose but he didn’t care.

“I miss you.”

Just like that, tears went down again.

 

 

“Remember our promise?”

“Which one?” She asked while closing her eyes, feeling the warmth of his body.

“This one.”

He slowly pushed her and took out a diamond ring.

“Be my wife.”

 

12/24/1996

“The present’s me!” The boy then laughed out loud.

“What?! I gave you a pretty card and I got nothing?”

“Ayee, I already told you, pabo. I’m your present. Let’s make a promise.” He sat, crossing his leg and stared straight through the girl. The verandah of her house was always their place, calm and nice.

“What kind of promise?” She’s still pouting.

“I’ll take care of you. I’ll protect you from people who’re trying to hurt your feelings, okay? You’ll be my wife when we grew up! ”

“Ehhh?!” She blushed at his sudden proposal.

On the other hand, Shinhye’s grandfather who’s coincidently was at the door could only laugh at the kids’ childish games.

 

 

03/16/2014

“Wha-what? But, I – “

“If not, then let me stay by your side from now. I-I missed a lot. I’m so sorry.”

Her face changed at his words. Looking at his sad face, Shinhye knew what he meant.

“If it’s because of sorry, then don’t. I’m not going to stay long in this world anyway.” She answered weakly and turned around. She's still doubtful about her future.

But then, her heart started to beat faster again when she could feel a pair of arms around her waist, hugging her from behind.

 

“You’re special to me, Park Shinhye. And that feeling never changed since I left the country ten years ago. I don’t want to leave you again. No matter what other people say about you, your family, about us, I don’t care. I never cared, right?” He chuckled to her ears but Shinhye couldn’t stop crying.

“Pabo. Why’d you come back when I’m like this?”

“You’ll get better. I’m sure, I’ll make sure you’ll be healthy again. Don’t worry.” He answered and tightened his hold onto that precious lady.

“Can I?” She turned her head to look at him.

“Now that I’m here, hold my hand when you feel like falling down. I’ll stay by your side now that no one can tell me not to. We still don’t know about what our future would be but for now, I want to plan my future with you. I love you. I’m your present, remember?”

He slipped the diamond ring into her fourth finger and they shared a long kiss after that.

 

 

 

He’s here when I have no one.

That’s the kind of person he is, thoughtless.

But now that we’ve come this far, I don’t want to let go of him ever again.

Still no doubt that he’s my one and only present.

The present(today) is a gift and I’ll fully make use of it

 

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.”

 

 


Author's Note: It's just a simple oneshot for SooShin. My feels for them to act together's so high right now since both of them just recently acted in their dramas and films for this past year.

A token of thank you to my readers for reading my humble stories. I hope your days will get better when you do so. ^^ Have a great day. <3