Again

One More Chance

That tall figure. That handsome-looking blue uniform that compliments his jaw-dropping face.

She can tell that it is really him. She may be still a hundred of steps away from him, but her heart is telling her that it is him. Yes, him. Kim Jong In.

It is the guy who stole her heart. He is also the guy who broke it. And still, he is the reason why it is still skips a beat despite being shattered in pieces. Stupid, right? She is still head over heels with that idiot.

Falling in love again with the same guy. Risking her heart again. Playing again with the dice without any assurance that she can win this or lose again. But is there really one more chance?

One more chance for their story? Will there really be? Because after putting a distance with her bestfriend, she never had the guts to face him. Ahri just told him that she loves him without explaining. Then she walked away with a river of tears gushing down her cheeks. But still one more chance, is what she is asking for. That is all she is dying to get. I do not know why. But if this is really the one more chance I want, I will glady risk it. It is now or never. You can do this, Ahri. This thought kills her now. Is she becoming too assuming again? Can she just please forget this? Because, yes, she’s walking herself nearer and nearer to him. She’s walking herself to her precious nightmare.

“Hey. You are really stunning tonight. May I have this dance?" He asks as he kisses her right hand.

And  Ahri, as girl attracted to him like a super glue, nods and replies with a huge smile. She will not think twice anyway, even though she wants to say no because it is not yet the last dance. But she already lost her mind. She already blurts out a "yes" before her authoritarian mind can stop her. All she can feel now is the butterflies in her stomach. And she can also feel cloud nine as his manly arms slides to her waist. Her arms, on the other hand, without knowing, find its way to his neck with her hands intertwined with each other. Kai, her bestfriend, is hugging her! She does not know what to do next but just hug him back. She wants to feel happy although her mind is already telling her that this dancing and hugging stuff with him hurts.

She suddenly feels his embrace getting tighter and their bodies colliding with each other. Her face is almost an inch close to him. She can feel his breath. She can feel their connection. She can feel him more than she ever imagined. But that is only what she thinks.

At that time, both of them are quiet. Is it because Kai can also feel the pain hidden from his bestfriend's smile? None of them bothers to say a word until she finally strikes a conversation. "Why did you ask me to dance with you now? I thought you want me to be your last dance. I don’t understand anything, Kai. What happened?"

"I want her to be my last dance. You know I have been watching her from afar for three long years now. Sorry if I even hide this from you. I am such a coward to hide my feelings. Tonight, I want to finally confess to her."

And that's it. It hurts, huh? It ing hurts. "Oo-okay. I understand." Then she realizes that she is just a friend despite the sweetness and boyfriend-girlfriend acts they share together for years longer than the years Kai has been hiding his feelings for the girl-she-does-not-want-to-know-who. Maybe there are really no strings attached. Just friends.

She wants now to break away from the embrace but he suddenly directs her head to his left shoulder to rest. "Stay here, alright? You are so important to me. You are my bestest friend, Ahri. You are the only one who can strengthen me. I need you to support me."

Her tears want to fall now. She can't take this pain anymore. She can't bear being friendzoned. She just can't.

And now, she can see him just inches aloof with her. He is there patiently waiting for the next train.

That soft black hair. That beautiful tanned skin. Ahri can now fully see his profile. The face that I really miss.

She can tap him or maybe poke Kai like she used to but she doesn't have the courage. It's been five months since they entered college and parted ways. They parted, yes, but she can never find her way not seeing him. They don't go to the same school in college but still they ride the same train. She won't call it destiny. It is just the truth she has to deal with everyday. The heartbreaking truth. She actually has seen him a lot in this train station, almost everyday, but she never approached him. Good thing, his eyes never drifted to her way.

Thump thump thump. She can feel her heart beat running away. Is she just tired from walking or is she just enticed by his presence again?

"Ahri, why are you suddenly cold towards me? Did I do something wrong?"

"Kim Jong In, are you that numb? Can't you see it? Can't you feel that I love you more than a bestfriend?"

"Aa-ahri..."

"You heard me. I love you. I am in love with my best friend!"

Maybe she is just tired. And suddenly, she feels regret coming to her nerves. Why did I walk near him? Why am I becoming stupid again? Park Ahri, what the hell are you doing? Ugh, why did I even think of risking? These thoughts run in her mind as she buries herself in the book she is holding.

 I better hide. I guess I'm wrong about my decision of risking. I can't face him yet. I don't care about that one more chance for now.

She wants to cry that time. I’m being stupid again. Why did I even get myself close to him like this when I know it still hurts? But then, she suddenly felt a hand caressing her hair.

It is him.

She looks up and spots the familiar face she longs for.

"Ahri! You're here!" this guy hastily pulls her in a hug and whispered “Why did you just walk away? Why did you not allow me to explain? Why did you not answer my calls? Why did you not even approach me here in the train station? I've been seeing you but never approached you. I'm scared you'll just ignore me. So, yeah, Kim Coward Jong In again, I'm so sorry. You know, five months without you is terrible. That made me realize how much I love you. I love you, Park Ahri. I love you. I won't let you go this time. I won't let my stupid self hurt you again."

Kai pulls away from the hug. He lifts Ahri's chin with his nervous hand. He then looks directly into her eyes as he mumbles "Can we still fix this? Can I have one more chance?"