Kimchi Stew

I wish capturing your heart is as easy as capturing picture with this camera

 

Jen anxiously walked, heading towards the door. Myungsoo just called her this morning asking her to drop by his house. “I’m his slave now. Sure thing he’s not going to make things easy for me. “Jen mumbled to herself.

Arriving at the doorstep, she rang the bell with her sweaty palm. And as expected, Myungsoo opened the door. Her grinned as he saw her standing in front of him.

“What?” she asked. “Come in…” he invited her and still grinning. “I don’t know what’s on your mind right now, but would you please stop grinning like that. You creeps me out.” She told him. He laughed. “So, what should I do?” she asked. “You must like it a lot coming here right?Since you’ll be seeing me.” He smirked. “Now would you just tell me what I should do and stop smiling will you?” she growled.

“I want you to cook for me..

“What? I’ve to warn you that I’m not good at cooking. Beside you have your maid, why bother asking me to cook?”

“You are my slave and you will do anything I told you to. And if your cooking doesn’t reach my expectation, then don’t leave. But don’t try to fail purposely.” He told her.

“I want to try some of your kimchi stew.” He demanded “Kimchi stew? How am I going to do that? I’ve never try to cook that in my entire life.”

He shrugged his shoulder. “You figure it out yourself. Kitchen is that way. You can use any ingredients from the refrigerator. Annyoung..” he waved at her and left. “Yah!! Myungsoo ah..” She yelled at him, but he ignored her.

She walked towards the kitchen half-heartedly. She sighed.”How am I suppose to cook when I don’t even know how to cook.” She mumbled to herself. Her eyes then spotted the three-door refrigerator standing still at the corner of the kitchen. She headed towards the refrigerator and opened it.

“Oh, there’s a kimchi.” She took the kimchi out and placed it on the table. “What else?” she paused.

While trying to figure out the ingredients, she suddenly remembered the kimchi stew used to be made by L Joe. It was delicious that it triggered her tastebud.

She heaved a sigh.”Do I have to ask him?” she mumbled to herself again.

Left with no other options, she grabbed her phone out from her bag and dialled L joe’s number. “Hey Jen..” he greeted her.

“Hey, sorry for disturbing you...” she apologized. “Nah, it’s ok. What’s up?” he asked. “I know this might sound funny, but I need the recipe to the kimchi stew you used to make.”

He laughed.”Wow, I didn’t know you were mesmerized by my stew.” He joked. She forced herself to laugh. He then without hesitation explained to her the ingredients and steps to make the stew.

“Hope it helps.”  “Thanks L Joe.” She thanked him. “Good luck. By the way, do you have some free time tomorrow?” he asked by the end of the phone.

“I’m not sure. I’ll tell you later okay?” And then they both hang up.

She inhaled one last breath.”I hope this will work out.” She told herself.

She followed the instruction that L Joe had given her earlier. But no matter how hard she tried, the taste was never what she expected. It tastes different from what L Joe did.

“Are you done yet?” Myungsoo suddenly entered the kitchen.”I’m starving. It has been 1 hour now.”

“I told you I’m not a good cook, yet you still ask me to do it. So starve for another hour, until I get this taste right.” She told him.

She then carried the hot pot to the sink. “Yah, where are you going?” he asked her. “Throw this away. It tastes weird.”

He then headed towards her and took the pot from her.” This is your?” he asked. “Third attempt.” She answered. Myungsoo’s jaw lowered.”What?” Myungsoo then carried  the pot back to the stove. She followed him. He then tasted it.”This is weird” he commented.

“Told you..” He added more kimchi, some sugar, onions and also hot pepper paste. He took another taste. “Hmm. This is fine.”

“There, done!”

“You can cook it yourself. Why did you want me to cook?” She asked. “I want to see how good you are at cooking. Seems like you kinda hopeless.” He mocked.

“What?!  Look, don’t know how to cook kimchi stew doesn’t mean you are hopeless. Besides I can make the best kimbap you’ve ever taste.”

“Kimbap? Even babies can do that.”

“tsk. You are exaggerating…”

“Then bring me some kimbap for lunch tomorrow. I want to taste your so called delicious kimbap.” He ordered.

.

***

“Kimchi stew?” Min Young asks. Jen nodded. “You know how panic I am. Even for the second attempt I never seems to get the taste right.”

Min Young laughed.

“Min Young, I don’t think any of my plans work out. It has been almost 2 months he still can’t remember a thing. I even search everywhere for the flower and left the guitar, still no sign of remembering” Jen said.

“Jen, it’s only 2 months, you want to give up already?”

“I don’t know. Seems like it will be a game over soon.”