Chapter 2

Forgotten, Bruised, and Battered (Discontinued)
(Jihyun)

"Acquaintances of Ahn Daniel?"

Minsoo oppa pushed me towards the doctor. Gathered around the doctor was Daniel's family.

"I have good news and bad news, which one would you like to hear first?"

After a short discussion with Daniel's family, we agreed on the good news first.

"Well.. The good news is, he's perfectly fine. There's no damage to the internal organs, and he didn't lose that much blood. However, he did break his left arm."

He paused.

"But the bad news is.. It seems that he has lost some memories. We questioned him about his childhood. He says he remembers going fishing and putting a live fish into his mouth. We questioned him, about what he remembers before the accident."

My breath hitched. My heart stopped. This was it. Whether he remembers me or not.

"First he said he couldn't remember anything. But then he said he only remembered walking home from school when he got hit."

My heart broke. I was torn to pieces. He doesn't remember me. I don't need to see him. Why would I, when he doesn't even know me!

I turned around and started to walk away with tears in my eyes.

"But he said he's missing something. Something important. Something that happened just before the accident.".

I stopped in my tracks. Maybe he did remember. Maybe if I came in and talked to him, help him remember, maybe he would remember. Maybe, just maybe, we could live a happy life together. I walked back to his family, and then the doctor brought us to his room.

When we got to his room, I stayed outside while his family was in the room.. After 15 minutes of family time, they exited the room to let me talk to him privately.

I walked in but I just couldn't lift my head to look at him. Daniel's brother closed the door behind me.

"Excuse me? Hello?", I heard Daniel say.

I gathered all the courage in me to look up.

His left arm was in a cast. There was a small gash on his right cheek and his lip was cut. But otherwise, he look perfectly normal, with that messy dark brown hair and thick sausage-like lips.

I approached him with caution, afraid he might call hospital security for having a stranger in his room. I finally made it to the seat beside him.

He was looking at me intently, I could feel it. I just kept my head down.

"Daniel.."

"I don't mean to be rude or anything, but.. Who are you? Why are you in my room? Why do you know my name?"

My heart broke. As soon as it broke, it broke again. I just felt like my whole world was crashing down, and I just wanted to die right here, right now. I felt my eyes stinging again, and tears building up on the rim of my eyes.

I closed my eyes and let the tears flow.

"Daniel, do you really not remember me?", I choked out, looking straight into his eyes.

He was quiet for a while, but kept looking into my eyes.

"No."

I looked back down and rested my head on the bed, and I just cried into the sheets.

"I'm sorry. I really, really am. I.. I don't know you."

I took that as a signal to leave.

And I did.

I ran out of the room, past his family and straight to where Minsoo oppa was waiting for me. When he saw my tear-stained face he sat me down and cradled me in his strong arms, comforting me and smoothing my hair and telling me it was fine.

After a good crying session, we finally went home. When we got home, I took a warm bath and let all my stress out, and then I slept.

Or tried to. I still couldn't believe Daniel forgot me. After 8 years of being friends. He totally forgot me. JUST me. Even until 1am, I still couldn't sleep. So I went to oppa's room.

I always liked oppa's room, especially with all the wonderful sketches he had drawn over the years taped to the walls. Whether people, animals, monsters, even Pokemon, they were all beautiful.

Oppa was laying on the bed, ofcourse, but I didn't know if he was sleeping or not. I climbed into his bed, got under the covers and hugged him from behind. To my surprise, he was awake. He moved a bit so he was facing me, then asked me: "Couldn't sleep, Jihyun?"

I nodded and moved closer to him. He knew what I meant and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Jihyun, just try forgetting what happened today, okay?"

I sighed, but nodded.

"I'll try, oppa. But I can't guarantee that I can."

He nodded and brought me even closer towards him. I placed my head on his chest and he put his chin on my head.

"Good night, Jihyun."

"Night, oppa."

I had a nice sleep that night.

But I still couldn't believe losing Daniel.