The Anniversary; taekey

Of Heavy Hearts And Imperfections

For Shawol360

 

“So...”

Kibum looks up from the glaring screen of his desktop computer and finds Minho standing at the door of his dimly lit office. Annoyed that his concentration is lost, he simply raises an eyebrow in question at his colleague who joined the company more than a year ago.

“When are you ever going to say yes to that dinner you owe me?”

Right. Kibum probably should mention that this colleague of his, Minho, is doing a terrible job at hiding his feelings for him.

Rolling his eyes, Kibum shakes his head and lets out a sigh, “For the millionth time, Minho, I have a boyfriend.”

“Oh yes, what’s his name? Tae… Taemin, was it?” Minho ponders out loud, “Funny how I’ve known you for months and yet I haven’t seen or heard anything that proves to me you have a boyfriend.”

“What are you trying to get at?” Kibum snaps, “I’ll have you know that Taem and I have been together since...”

Kibum takes a glance at the calendar on his desk. In the next moment, he curses and shoots up from his seat, hastily grabbing his messenger bag, and makes his way out of the office.

“Help me turn off everything and lock up!”

“Kibum!” Minho catches hold of Kibum’s arm just as he tries to zoom past him, “Where are you going?”

Kibum glares at the hand around his arm and then at the owner of said hand, “4 years, Minho, it’s our anniversary tonight.”

Instantly, Minho lets Kibum go, his eyes downcast.

“I’ll help you with everything.” Minho mumbles.

“Thanks.”

With that, Kibum is out of the office and making his way back to his apartment, the very one that he owns with Taemin.

 

When Kibum comes back to a dark, empty apartment, his heart sinks. He turns on the lights, walks into the eerily silent home and realises that the breakfast he made for Taemin is still left uneaten. His boyfriend is an aspiring dancer, and has been spending too much time in the dance studio ever since he was accepted to a famous dance company. Taemin had called the night before, informing Kibum he wouldn’t be back for the night, but Kibum still had hopes that his boyfriend would come home by the morning. Right now, Kibum realises how disappointing it is when hopes are dashed. He doesn’t even bother clearing the table and heads straight to the couch instead. Dropping his exhausted body onto the once springy sofa, he pulls out his phone and presses 1 to call his one and only.

The call is connected, and Kibum hears it ring one time too many before it finally gets through as Taemin picks up.

Except it’s not Taemin, and it’s definitely not a voice Kibum neither recognises nor wants to hear.

“I never knew you were this desperate...”

Kibum stills and in a split second, is holding his phone in a death grip. Even though something tells him no one on the other end of the line cares or can even hear him talk, he still stays completely silent, even afraid to breathe for fear that he may alert whoever was on the line.

“Aren’t you getting any at home?”

A loud obnoxious giggle follows after and Kibum pales. His gut feeling tells him that the person who answered the line is saying these things on purpose. And Kibum’s gut feeling is never wrong.

Kibum swallows hard, the house so silent he hears the sound of it along with his heart beating hard in his chest. However, it isn’t long before the uncomfortable silence is broken with loud sensual moans and more giggles.

Kibum just wants to throw up; he can even feel the bile rising to his throat.

“Taemin ah, stop it.”

Kibum suddenly feels a salty taste on his lips and he then realises tears were rolling down his cheeks.

When he thinks things can’t get any worse, the sounds of lips smacking and tongues squelching travel into his ear loud and clear.

Kibum has never been so utterly disgusted in his entire life. He finally hangs up the call and collapses further into the sofa. His mind is completely blank, feeling as if all energy has been out of him, and yet, his fingers automatically find a number in his phone that has never failed to be his lifeline ever since he saved it.

Unsurprisingly, the call gets through at the first ring. The moment he is greeted with that low, warm, soothing voice, Kibum snaps out of his trance, a bitter smile tugging at the corners of his lips, as he mutters into the receiver.

“Yeah, Taemin forgot too.”

And suddenly, everything is all too real. It was over. And Kibum knows it’s time to let go of something that hasn’t felt right in a very long time.

 

Author's Note: short but i hope you don't regret giving me this prompt! not sure if i should even add happy emoticons here. hmm.

TAEMIN AH I LOVE YOU AND I'M SORRY, SHAWOL360 MADE ME DO THIS.