????? - My Side of The Story

His name is Leo

We sat down on the comfortable looking sofas, face-to-face as I try to bring myself to explain my side of the story to her. There’s just so many questions on her head…. Who I am, where is the mute being she know, are we the same person or just two sides of the same coin, and so many more.

Sighing deeply as I look down to avoid her gaze—and her mind at the same time—I started my story.

* * *

“I wasn’t an expected child. My mother, a demon and my father, a human. It was a forbidden love, and like most other forbidden loves, it doesn’t end well,” I took a deep breath before continuing. “I do not know what happened to my father, but I strongly suspect that he had died, in the hands of my grandparents. 

My mother is alive, most likely. But I have no idea of her whereabouts. She is probably a prisoner somewhere; somehow, as she was once my grandparents’ favorite child but she had also committed a taboo sin to us demons: falling in love.

 More importantly, with a human.”

“My mother gave birth to me secretly, I suppose. But, as humans and demons were not meant to be together, I was born with two souls.

 My weak humanly body has to contain the soul of a demon and the soul of a human…” I sighed deeply, knowing that what I say next would probably be the cause of her hating me forever.

“Myself, as a demon. We’ve just met a few times, Aileen. The red-eyed person who wishes you goodnight; that is me. We also met when you cried in my arms, but that doesn’t count because Leo was so eager to protect you,

 so I have to back off to give the place for him.”

“I told you my name is not Leo. That is true… when we were named, our nape carved and turned into an eternal punching-bag for my cousins and siblings, I gave Leo my strength to withstand the pain. 

But nonetheless, it was Leo’s consciousness that controls our body at that time. Also throughout most of our lives. 

He was mute, timid and he was also scared of everything, but he has his kind heart, Aileen…”

Aileen looks like she’s about to burst in tears so I looked at her, hesitating whether or not should I continue. 

 

I slowly reached out my hand to hers, and when she doesn’t complain, I moved to sit next to her.

“Should I… Should I continue? I can stop now-“

“No. Please. Continue…” She bit her lips and stutter, but I know she wanted to know more. She had to know more.

 

* * *

I told her how our lives were. Leo might be timid and he doesn’t even have the chance to learn how to speak, but I taught him how. 

He may never use his vocal chords prior to meeting Aileen, but he is very honest and he sincerely cares about Aileen’s well being.

While me, being a demon, I could learn things way faster than Leo. My physical and mental capability more than twice of Leo’s, I kept some of the things I know to myself. Because Leo has a very kind and frail heart, and we both need him to be strong. I may be selfish, but if he knew the truth of us and how we weren’t supposed to be a pet, he may break and he might cause the demise of us. 

Because whether I like it or not, he has the dominant control over our body, because our body was of a human’s.

 

If we were born within a demon’s body, we would have a much paler complexion, a taller, more slender figure and red eyes that glow in the dark, resembling of a nocturnal animal.

* * *

Aileen listened to my words, a blank expression on her face.

“Leo isn’t here anymore, Aileen. The twelve souls we sacrificed gave me strength, gave me control over this body. 

I don’t really know how or why, but… I can’t find his soul inside of this body anymore… I’m sorry, Aileen.”

She chewed her lip, hesitant as she reached her hand to hold mine. “But… but is he okay? Will I ever see Leo again?” she muttered, her small hands clasping mine.

 “I don’t know, Aileen. I really don’t know. I’ll give my place for him anytime, but I really don’t know where he went to,” I answered softly, one of my arms slowly wrapping around her trembling shoulder. She’s crying.

“Please don’t go… don’t go, don’t go.. Whoever you are, stay with me…”

It was like a prayer. Soft, sincere and honest. 

She chanted the same words over and over and over again as the night went darker and deeper, and I could only answer her with my soft words, not really knowing of what else there is to do.

She fell asleep in my arms after a few hours. Her eyes swollen and her tiny hands clasping mine tightly. 

I kissed her forehead goodnight, and I sat there waiting for sunrise to come, and with that a new day for us to live. It was an exhausting day, but us demons… we don’t need sleep.  The essence of our power is that we prey on sleeping humans.