464 steps because of you

464 steps because of you

Yuri and Tiffany got there pretty early to the Duomo and there wasn’t really much of a line which was good for the two not to be spotted in Florence, Italy. They went up to the line to pay for entry when there was a sign posted next to the window.

 

There is no lift / 464 steps

 

“Are you kidding me? 464 steps? Yuri how in the world…,” protested Tiffany before Yuri silenced her with a finger.

 

“You promised you’d go everywhere with my Fany,” smiled Yuri as she removed her finger.

 

Tiffany pouted, “I lied.”

 

Yuri shook her head and paid for both of their entrance fees and took the older woman’s hand and led her to the start of the steps. “The view from the top will be totally worth it. Trust me,” said Yuri with a reassuring squeeze of Tiffany’s hand.

 

With a light blush on Tiffany’s face, the two started their journey up to the top of the Duomo. The steps were really steep and the walls were really close. Every now and then a window would pop up and the view of the city could be seen but they were just beginning. Signs leading them up showed them the way through this disorienting twists and turns of a maze. After walking for a while they finally reached a room filled with various statues or men and angels.

 

Bending down with her hands on her knees Tiffany caught her breath. “I can’t believe you talked me into doing this with you,” panted the tired woman. She looked up at Yuri and noticed that she barely broke a sweat. “How are you still so energetic?”

 

Smirking, Yuri replied, “Next time you should take up my offer and go to the gym with me.” The shorter woman found the strength to hit the taller woman in the arm and proceeded to the next set of stairs, listening to the laughter behind her.

 

Steps after steps followed until the pair reached an inner part of the dome where beautiful displays of people and angels in bright colors surrounded the oculus. Tiffany immediately straightened up to look at the wonder. Many questions as to how a person could create a work of art so vivid without the use of the many cheats technology grants flowed through her mind. After a few moments Tiffany felt a hand on her shoulder and she looked back to see Yuri smiling at her. She eye smiled back and felt a squeeze on her shoulder signaling that the two should carry on. With one last look at the marvel above, they both continued in silence but reflecting on what they just saw in peace.

 

Sweat began to pour from Tiffany’s face as the continued their climb up the never ending steps. She started to pant as the muscles in her calves and thighs began to mildly ache. First they passed up wooden beams above their heads and then the roof started to curve in towards them. It became a little more claustrophobic and Tiffany’s heart started to beat a little faster.

 

“Y…Yuri…,” whispered Tiffany getting nervous.

 

Immediately Yuri turned in her tracks and saw the fear building up. She brushed strands of hair behind Tiffany’s ear. “Close your eyes Fany,” whispered Yuri. As the older woman complied, Yuri cupped her cheek. “Take a few deep breaths and relax. We are almost there. You’ve done so well so far and I’m really impressed at how much you can keep up with me. You can do it Fany. I believe in you.”  She leaned down, lifted Tiffany’s hat up a bit, and placed a light kiss on her forehead.

 

Tiffany’s eyes opened slowly. “Thank you Yuri,” whispered Tiffany huskily. “Let’s go.” Nodding at each other they continued up the stairs.

 

They finally approached a row of stairs that had two railings next to it. Climbing steadily they made a twist to their left and saw the opening. Smiling at each other first, Yuri gave Tiffany the honors of going up the final steps. With the sun bathing Tiffany’s entire being, she was stunned at the gorgeous view of Florence.

 

“I told you, it was worth the climb,” said Yuri as she wrapped an arm around Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

“You’re right. This is amazing Yuri. I’m glad I could see this with you,” said Tiffany.

 

“Come on! Let’s take a selca and I’ll put it on instagram,” exclaimed Yuri as she got closer to the railing with the bell tower behind her.

 

“Oh no! Not when I’m looking totally messed up after this climb,” snapped Tiffany playfully. “I’ll take one of you by yourself and you can post that one up.” Yuri pouted but then posed for the picture. When Tiffany was satisfied after taking 3 shaky shots before that, she walked up to Yuri and rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder.

 

Shocked from the sudden contact, Yuri didn’t notice that Tiffany took a selca of them until after she heard the phone click. “Hey, I thought you said you didn’t want to take a selca with me,” said Yuri confused.

 

Tiffany smiled and walked away from Yuri a little backwards. “I didn’t want me to be seen on instagram like this but I never said I didn’t want a selca of this precious moment I get to share with you,” replied Tiffany. Yuri smiled and took Tiffany’s hand and the two of them walked around enjoying the view.

 

After getting back to their hotel room and taking their respective showers, Yuri found Tiffany straddled out in the bed. She shook her head and joined the splatted mushroom woman. When Tiffany gave her a bit of a glare Yuri laughed.

 

“You look like Mario and Luigi stepped on you,” giggled Yuri.

 

“Very funny,” Tiffany mumbled before burying her face in the pillow.

 

Taking the initiative Yuri scooted down and started to massage Tiffany’s foot. She felt Tiffany flinch and then slowly relax again. For a few moments Yuri continued and worked her way up to Tiffany’s calf. “I really am proud of you Fany for today,” she said.

 

Turning slightly to look at Yuri Fany asked, “Why is that?”

 

“This…it reminds me of the times you kept injuring yourself,” Yuri whispered with a hint of sadness but then smiled. “Despite how many times you got knocked down, you always recovered. Now look at you, climbing up 464 stairs without any help. You are truly inspiring Fany.” She moved on to the other foot and started massaging it working her way up to the other calf after a period of silence. “I hope one day when I am faced with adversity that I would have even a fraction of your perseverance.”  

 

Tiffany turned around and sat up. She pulled Yuri into a long hug and whispered, “I got through it because I had the support of all of you during my difficult times. When you face your own troubles we will do the same for you.” She smiled and looked at Yuri. “Even though I hated the idea at first, the only reason I made today through 464 steps was…” Tiffany leaned in and gave Yuri a lingering kiss on the cheek. “…because of you.”