too late

Too late

Rated PG-13 :  Some Coarse Languages

 

"Yul, wait up. Yuri... Yah Kwon Yuri!" Jiyong shouted across and finally caught hold of her wrist at the end of the hallway. "Didn't you hear me calling you?"

 

"Oh really? I heard nothing. Only the sound of some annoying flies buzzing around my ears." Yuri let out a fake cough. "Now would you please let go?"

 

"I-I'm sorry." Jiyong withdrew his hands and kept them in his pocket.

 

"Did the sun rise from the east today? The almighty Kwon Jiyong apologising." She scoffed. "What's the matter? The school Kingka shouldn't be seen here talking to a nerdy girl like me. It will taint your reputation."

 

"Look Yul, I know you hate and can't stand the sight of me. But I have only one question." Jiyong knew this wasn't going to be easy but this's the only way he could find things out. "Yoona had been absent from school for three consecutive day already. Did something happen?"

 

"Didn't Miss Kim announce that she isn't coming back anymore? I'm pretty sure you heard it loud and clear. You were cheering with those bastards and es. Remember?" Yuri was getting angrier as the time ticked by. 

 

"That couldn't be... She didn't tell me... Something happened. Right? I called her phone but no one answered and I wanted to drop by her house but..."

 

"But you're scared of being spotted by your delusional fans."

 

Jiyong kept silent, indicating an agreement with her accusation.

 

"Gosh. Why am I even wasting my time on you! You're a hopeless freak. A self-centered idiot!" Yuri shouted and walked away from him.

 

Despite being humiliated, Jiyong gave chase nonetheless and tried blocking Yuri's path. It ended up with Yuri knocking onto him, causing the books on her hands to sprawl on the floor. In one of the books, a letter dropped out. Yuri wanted to retrieve it but Jiyong beat her to that instead. 

 

Jiyong ran his finger across the letter. With just one look, he knew it was from Yoona. The letter had a unique candle wax seal and if you put it near enough, you would be rewarded with a faint fragrance. On the cover, it stated: 'To Kwon Jiyong'. Three simple words. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

"It's for me..."

 

 

 

 

[3 YEARS AGO]

"Yoona! Come on Yoong, listen to me!"

 

"Don't come after me! Just leave me alone!" Yoona quickened her pace, face bathed in tears. She had enough. Literally.

 

"I can never do that!" Jiyong caught up with her and spun her around.

 

"Just go. Really. Stop picking me up whenever you drop me." Yoona shrugged off his hands and walked towards the river, letting loose a sigh. "I'm tired of this..."

 

They are best of friends, or at least they used to be. Fate had brought them together since they were just toddlers. From young, Jiyong had been her knight in shinning armour, protecting her from all bullies. Yoona is a helpless introvert. She could be a beautiful lady, if she had parachuted into other people's life that is. She always wore a gloomy face around until she met Jiyong. Jiyong, a bright and outgoing boy, was able to light up her life, to bring laughters into her life. Hence, ever since young, Yoona was totally dependent on Jiyong, and though it was a kid's play, she always pictured Jiyong to be her prince charming, the guy that she would marry eventually.

 

When they attended college, everything changed. Jiyong, being a dashing and vibrant young man became the school's headfigure in a blink of an eye. Yoona, on the other hand, became the number-one target for bullying. She's thin and haggard, looking pale and petrified at all times - a perfect target for bully. Since their life were extreme opposites, they were split apart. Jiyong was enjoying the limelight and Yoona didn't want to spoil his fun. He deserved all these, she thought. Thus, she made a pact with Jiyong - They were strangers by day, best friends by night.

 

However, it wasn't just strangers that Jiyong wanted. Jiyong wanted to draw a clear line from her. In school, together with other popular kids, he bullied Yoona; throwing her books around, pranking her, hurting her... Every single mean thing possible was done to her. It hurt Yoona alot that he's treating her in such a way, but, she loves him nonetheless. No matter what. It's just pretendence, she thought. True enough, when night falls, Jiyong would meet her secretly, whispering comforting words to her, apologising profusely. She would forgive him, and the cycle repeats itself again. Day by day.

 

"Yoong, please." Jiyong hugged her from behind. "I would never want to lose you. You mean the whole world to me. Do you understand?"

 

Yoona knew she would take him back again. Just like any other times.

 

 

 

 

[3 DAYS AGO]

For a long torturous three years, their relationship had remained in such a manner. Yoona was lucky enough to meet another friend, Kwon Yuri. Yoona trusted her and disclosed her relationship with Jiyong to her. Yuri, being a righteous girl, hit over the roof, wanting to confront Jiyong but was stopped.

 

"I love him, Yul. He's just pretending..."

 

Like always.

 

The bullying began again. This time, it was far worse than any other times. Jiyong had plotted with his friends to set her up. They accused her of stealing the answer scripts. They framed her by putting the scripts into her bag during lunch and when she returned, their lecturer had rummaged through her bag, flinging her belongings out. Everyone laughed at her torn and tattered bag and was definitely amused by her humiliation. Through all these, Jiyong did not flinch. Not even once. Despite Yuri shouting at the class, it was of no use. Yoona was hurt. Deeply hurt. Once again.

 

Yoong, I'm truly sorry about today. Trust me, I wasn't the mastermind behind all these. It was Youngbae. He plotted against you. I wouldn't be able to visit you tonight because I would be having a party with the guys. So, see you around in school tomorrow?

-Jiyong

 

Yoona read the text over and over again, until her tears finally blurred her vision. She knew he would be forgiven whenever he came around looking for her, apologising. But, this time, he didn't even bother to look for her anymore. Simply because, he was more than certain that he would be forgiven. Still, Yoona didn't hate him. She hated herself. She resented herself. There was just too much agony for her to bear.

 

To the Dearest Kwon Jiyong:

Jiyong oppa, this would be the last time I'm calling you this. I hope you're enjoying yourself and please do not have any guilt alrights? It's not your fault. I brought all these upon myself. I remembered that when we were young, you're always the one protecting me whenever someone bullies me. You're my guardian angel and I still keep this belief till now. Don't be burden by this because you're always a carefree, a fantastic guy. I'm honoured to be your friend. Perhaps, this honour is too much to bear. I'm feeling really tired and breathless... I don't blame you though. I just hope that in the next life, I can be a swan. I would still want to be the swan in your life. But in this life, I have lost. I lost the chance of transforming into a swan. I would always be an ugly duckling... So, I have decided. I would be your guardian angel in this life. Protecting you from all dangers, just like what you did. I love you, oppa...

Love,

Yoona.

PS: You look pretty good with Jessica. She suits you...

 

She attached a small stalk of fuchsia and sealed the letter with her candle wax stamp. She placed the letter neatly on the table and took out a penknife. Lying comfortably on her bed, she slit her wrist deeply.

 

With a smile and a drop of tear, she drifted off to sleep...

 

 

 

 

"Oh, so NOW you're crying?" Yuri folded her arms across her chest and leaned against the wall. "I don't think you have the right to read this letter. You don't even deserve this!"

 

Jiyong made no attempt to rebut as his legs gave way, causing him to crumble to the floor, red hot tears gushing out from his eyes. His eyes went bloodshot red and leaked with sadness.

 

It's not fair, but she knew that. It didn't take a whole long life to realise that what she deserved to have, she rarely get. Jiyong stood up, with the lightning bolt branding the lining of his throat, which made it impossible to swallow, so everything got back like a damned river. He lifted his fist and punched a hole in the thick white wall and still, this wasn't enough. The tears just kept on coursing down his cheeks.

 

Fuchsia; humble love. That's what he had always told her. That their love is humble, is pure and innocent. She believed and even in her last breath, she believed. She loved and still loves him. He loved and still loves her, but why couldn't he see? Why must he be blinded with fame and status? Time and time again, he had promised her. All these would soon be over. It would soon be over. But all he ever did, was to hurt her again and again.

 

"You promised, you lied. She believed, she died." Yuri continued. "While you're busy getting your hands under that ing 's shirt, she's crying rivers for herself. Not for you, mind you. She didn't blame you. That idea did not even flash across her mind for once. Yeahs, you're right. She can't go on without you. Keep that in mind."

 

"W-Where is she now..." Jiyong choked, as he grabbed hold of her.

 

"Hands off!" Yuri pushed him to the ground hard. "If you feel that you're being humiliated by me now, scram off. Because how you had treated her, was a hundred, a thousand, a millionth times worse!"

 

Jiyong, now sprawled on the floor, was still holding on to the letter in his hand. He kept silent, too overwhelmed by all the things that had gone wrong. If all these humiliation could bring Yoona back, he would bear it. He would gladly bear all of it.

 

"She's gone. Her parents had cremated her yesterday. They didn't want to spread this news out." Yuri too, was choked by tears now. "She's gone. Forever..."

 

Jiyong's mind went blank. All these years, all these months, all these days, she had always been there... He had always took her for granted. She would forever be here waiting, he thought. Yes, he is right. She would forever be waiting and she could't go on without him. But, she is not here anymore... He didn't know it would hurt so much by just the mere thought of her being gone. It became a reality now. He was the one who couldn't go on without her. Im Yoona was gone. She's never coming back. Sure, he could say that he would do all it takes to bring her back.

 

But, it's all too late....