1. Privileged

Her Hidden Highness

 

20 years ago to the day, every country across the land signed a treaty. In a state of urgency, about fifteen monarchs met at the Shim Palace to come to an agreement that would protect their future generations. After 2 days of discussion, the document was signed by all fifteen kings or queens. 

In the treaty, it was outlined that none of the royal families could have children over the next five years, or whenever they agreed to lift this restriction. For many royal families that were aging and childless, this was a big sacrifice, but one that was, by all means, necessary.

A month before the signing of the treaty, now dubbed "The Treaty of Nativity", something, or someone, had been stolen. In the dead of night, a baby boy, the Lee prince, had been plucked from his royal crib and robbed of his future at the helm of a kingdom. The Oh family was devastated and demanded everything humanly possible be done to find the child. But it was all for naught.

Two weeks later, the Cha baby was also taken. A month after that, the Joo family was robbed of their 3 month old. The string continued until there were no royal children under the age of three left in any kingdom.

The motive for these kidnappings was complicated. Among the countries' populations, there was a certain distrust building towards the idea of monarchy. In the face of an economical sag and little response, the people wanted something new. The most radical protesters believed the way to do this was by terminating the royal bloodlines. There would be no new heirs to the throne if they had their way.

Reduced to urgency, The Treaty of Nativity was put in place to protect the royal children. For five years, the bearing of children would be illegal in order for the perpetrators to be caught in the meantime. Or for the anti-monarchy movement to die down.

 

Sulli woke a year older. Well, one doesn't really wake up a whole year older, only eight hours older than when they fell asleep. The night before, a very cloudy and rainy one at that, she had been 17 years old. For the princess, however, the day was much more symbolic than the passing of eight hours or even a regular birthday. Over the past two months, or approximately sixty days, she had been waiting until the arm of the clock of her life ticked onto her eighteenth year.

It was barely 7 am, but she knew she had little time. At 8, her maids would come in to dress her and by noon, the modest birthday celebrations would commence. By then, it would be much harder for her to slip away. 

In proper fashion, a royal's birthday would mean foreign visitors, festive music and ornate gowns. The country would celebrate their nation's sweetheart turning a year older. Princes, handsome and dapper, would travel from far away to court the princess who was now well old enough to marry. But for Princess Sulli, there was no big celebration or restrained flirting. Her 18th birthday meant only a small dinner and a few well-wishes.

Slipping quietly from her bed, she wrapped herself in a pale purple robe to cover her undergarments. She crept towards the door of the designated maid's passage, next to the armoire. Pushing it open, she whispered down the stone tunnel, "Jaekyung-sshi?" Within moments, a young girl appeared out of the darkness. Nervousness was plastered across the girl's face, almost making the princess regret the favour she was asking from her.

As she stepped aside so the teenage maid could enter she got strait to the point. "Do you remember what we discussed?" Sulli asked the girl, whose almond-shaped eyes were set on the floor. 

"Yes, your highness," she answered, not daring to disrespect royalty by making eye contact.

Sulli gestured to the fabric clutched in the girl's arms. "Are those the clothes I asked you to bring?"

"Yes, your high-"

"Stop," Sulli commanded. "I thank you for providing me with what I need, but you are no longer required to address me with such formality. I am betraying my family, giving up everything; including the right to be treated like royalty."

The maid looked taken aback by the princess's hostility, causing Sulli to soften.

"I'm sorry," she apologized. "Could I please have those clothes?" She realized how foreign the word "please" felt on her tongue as she took the pile of plain clothes from the maid.

The younger girl then, instead of doing it for her, showed the princess how get dressed into the clothes. It was something she needed to know how to do from now on, even if it was a bit late in life to learn how to put on your own clothes.

By the time 30 minutes had passed, the previously regal looking 18 year-old now looked like an average farm girl. Her hair was tied under a cotton bandana, her beige dress was patchy and hid any shape she had, and in her arm, she had a small basket filled with a small coin pouch and food for a few days. If she ever really could be, she was ready.

The maid led her out the maid's passage and to the outside door. After giving her proper instructions on how to flee the palace grounds, the maid turned to leave. 

"Wait," Sulli said, and the maid turned around. Sulli then pulled out a handful of coins. "For your help... And your silence." It was the first of times that the princess would have to rely on someone to keep her secret, and keep her safe.

 

A bit over a year after the treaty, a doctor delivered the most terrible news possible to the Choi king and queen; they were going to have a baby. The surprise was met with tears, anger, and most importantly, fear. If the baby was born, it would contradict everything about the treaty and would alienate their entire kingdom from their very precarious allies. Not only that, their child would be in danger of the same fate that met so many children in the last few years.

The doctor was paid off, the maids were paid off, a few guards were paid off. If the palace had not been so tightly secured in silence, the worst would have been swiftly upon them. 

From the day she was born, their child, their angel, was denied the luxuries most children had. She did not leave a select part of the castle, she could never be seen outside, she would never meet another child, save a few of the servants children. If she played, it was limited to the fun she could have in her stone room. 

It was not the life the king and queen wanted for their daughter, but it was the only one she was allowed.