Just the Beginning

Just the Beginning - Myungsoo

"Hey Myungsoo, we are going to go to the arcade to go have some fun. Do you want to come?" Sunggyu asked as the other members happily put on their coats and shoes as Myungsoo sat on his bed with all of his memories surrounding him in bound books.

"I think I will just stay here, thanks. I have some memories to catch up on." Myungsoo said as he opened up his earliest photo album. Sunggyu nodded and shut his door slightly as sounds of disappointment came from the other members as Myungsoo looked down at each picture before turning the page.

Page after page, he looked through the great memories and the not so great. The ones that reminded him of where he was and how he got here to the ones that he wished he could go back to that time. Seeing him a young kid made him smile as he watched himself grow and mature through the pictures. Reaching the end of his family albums, he moved to the yearbooks of the years of school as he looked through the pictures of all of their faces while he wondered where they were now.

Picking up one of his later years of high school, he flipped page after page as the memories filled his mind. Standing up, he moved off of his bed as a picture fell from its pages as he heard something hit the ground. Looking over his shoulder, there was a single wallet sized picture on the floor. Its corners were worn yet there was a bright face that shined like the sun. Bending down, Myungsoo carefully picked up the photograph as he laid down the book on the floor as his fingers traced the edge of picture as his eyes carefully moved over your face, then combing down her hair. His fingers carefully flipped over the picture as there was a handwritten message.

Thank you for always smiling and hanging around me, even if we didn’t know each other very well. I hope you all the best in your dreams.

A smile carefully melted onto his face as he tried to remember who the girl was, but somehow in the masses of people and faces he hasn’t ever seen yours before. Without a name he wouldn’t be able to find your number in any of the directories.

A few hours later, the Infinite members came busting through the door after hours at the arcade. Myungsoo had just fixed himself a little snack and was sitting on the couch, admiring the beautiful girl in the picture that somehow knew him.

Dongwoo leaned over the couch as he saw the pretty picture of the girl in between his fingers as a smile beamed onto his face as he tried to get a better look.

"Who’s she?" Dongwoo said a little too loudly, catching Hoya’s attention, he leaned over the back of the couch too.

"She isn’t too bad, but who is she?" Hoya put a cracker in his mouth as Myungsoo quickly put the picture into the palm of his hand and got up from the couch.

"S-She’s nobody." Myungsoo stood up as his cheeks tinted pink. "How was the arcade?" He quickly changed the subject, slipping the picture into his back pocket.

"It was fun! We all challenged each other and now Sunggyu-hyung has to buy us all meat after practice tomorrow." Woohyun filled in Myungsoo as Sunggyu grumbled the other members laughed in delight.

Every night for a few years, Myungsoo never failed to look at that picture at least once a day. Spending his free time wondering where the girl was at in that very minute. Wishing the girl goodnight and kissing his finger before pressing it against the girl’s lips. If Myungsoo had a rough day, he would talk to the picture as if the girl was an actual person. The girl in the picture intrigued him, like she was a phantom or something, something that he had never seen before. A knock came from Myungsoo’s door as his fingers pet the girls’ hair softly.

"Come in" Myungsoo called as Sungjong walked through the door holding out a letter.

"You have a letter, hyung." Sungjong shuffled the letter to Myungsoo as he opened it right in front of Sungjong, setting the picture of the girl aside.

"Have you figured out who she is yet?" Sungjong asked as Myungsoo shook his head. Myungsoo’s eyes carefully read the letter as his eyes got wide as he moved to the edge of his bed.

"What is it, hyung?" Sungyeol asked as he leaned on the door frame.

"My five year anniversary for graduating high school is coming up in a few days." Myungsoo said as his eyes looked over at the girl in the photograph.

"I-Is she going to be there?" Sungjong asked as he tapped the picture gently.

"She should be." Myungsoo muttered as Sungjong looked at Sungyeol as they both smiled. Sungjong and Sungyeol both excused themselves as they pulled each other out into the hall.

"Myungsoo should really go to that reunion." Sungjong almost demanded

"He has to meet that girl or he is going to wear out her picture." Sungyeol added as Dongwoo came over.

"What are you two talking about?" His gummy smile was soon covered by a pair of hands as ‘shhh’ came out of Sungyeol and Sungjong’s mouths. Pushing Dongwoo into a bedroom, Hoya was on his bed reading his book as Hoya looked up at the members.

"Wha-" Sungyeol’s hands covered Hoya’s mouth as Sungjong closed the door and let go of Dongwoo’s mouth.

"What’s going on?!" Dongwoo asked as he took a seat on his bed

"You both know that picture that Myungsoo has been carrying around?" Sungjong began to explain as Sunyeol pulled Sunggyu and Woohyun both into the room too.

"So the girl that Myungsoo has been carrying around with him." Sungjong started again.

"You mean the girl that he talks to when he is about to sleep?" Woohyun butted in as all of the members looked at him as Sungjong nodded his head.

"We need to get them together, now there is this reunion with his graduating class and I think she is going. So we need to get Myungsoo to go." Sungjong conjured up a plan as the members happily complied and tried to help as much as they could.

The next morning, Myungsoo picked up the picture and took it with him to the kitchen as he fixed himself for breakfast. Woohyun stood in the kitchen as Myungsoo came in, with his white V neck shirt and black pajama pants.

"You should go somewhere today." Woohyun said as he got Myungsoo a bowl and a spoon.

"Where would I go and why would I go?" Myungsoo asked as he kept his eyes glued to the girls.

"So you can go meet her! Don’t you want to?" Woohyun leaned over the counter as Myungsoo’s head snapped up.

"Really?!" Myungsoo’s eyes got wide as Woohyun nodded.

"Go to the reunion, if you see anyone there that you recognize then stay, but if not you can come back home." Woohyun said as Myungsoo nodded as he got a slight smile on his face.

"I have to go pack" Myungsoo said as he turned around and jogged back to his bedroom as Dongwoo cut him off with a duffle bag that he held out to Myungsoo.

"Here are you clothes; I put a nice suit in there so that you could go to the dance later." Dongwoo gave him a gummy smile as Hoya walked past him.

"If you are going to be later than midnight, please call to let us know that you will be late." Hoya teased as Myungsoo nodded happily. Grabbing the bag from Dongwoo’s hands, he pushed past him as he went to go change. Into some dark blue jeans and a black V neck shirt. Running his hands through his hair, he jogs out of the room before waving the members farewell for the day, before heading out to the bus stop.

Myungsoo tried to cover his face as he thought that some fans would notice him, and then he got a text from s.

Look into the bag.

ping the bag on his lap, he looked through the bag, finding a black hat of his. Pulling it onto his head, he looked out the window as the bus began to move. Myungsoo leaned his head against the window as he began to sleep to the movements on the bus. At each stop, Myungsoo would wake up due to the harsh stopping of the bus.

Reaching his stop, he gathered his bag as he moved off of the bus. Looking around, he saw the small town that he knew by heart. With each corner held its own special story, every house with its family inside writing their stories every day. The bus hurled away as Myungsoo walked down the streets, his memories were far different from the reality.

Some of the neighbors recognized him and waved; he walked over and chatted with a few of them as they asked how he was doing with his band.

Yet as the hours passed, he felt like an outsider in the town. Wondering around the town as he finally made it to his old house, pulling out his phone; he took a picture of it as he continued to walk on. Arriving at the school, he looked upon the big building that held more memories that could be counted. Some good, some bad, but the good ones could be recalled like they happened yesterday.

Finding some lunch and dinner, time seemed to pass as Myungsoo walked around until it was time for the reunion.

The dark night wrapped around him as he looked up at the night sky, the white stars carefully began to appear as the moon seemed to call them from their slumber. Taking in a deep breath of the cool air, Myungsoo walked through the school doors as he found a bathroom and changed into his suit for the evening. Fixing his hair and tying his tie, he checked his appearance one last time before stuffing his bag into a corner of the bathroom and walking out to head to the gym.

His hands slid into his pocket as he felt the girls’ picture, causing him to smile. The music began to beat and vibrate the floor as he got closer and closer to the gym. Walking through the tassels on the doors, he scouted out the area.

One side of the gym, he saw the dance floor with the lights that move along the floor, then on the other there were tables and chairs as people sat and conversed about old memories. Scanning the faces, he pulled out his picture as he looked from the picture to the faces with no match. Myungsoo walked around the gym as he listened to the music.

Three girls sat around a table as he seemed to be puzzled by one of them, thinking that they looked familiar. The girls hugged each other and moved away from the table. Myungsoo’s heart raced as he pulled at his tie a little. Walking up to the table, he tapped on your shoulder as you turned and looked up at him.

"I’m so glad you came, Myungsoo" You said as you pulled out a chair for him, he sat down as his leg bounced up and down quickly, tipping you off that he was nervous.

"Y-Y-Yeah. I- I… well I came for this girl… maybe you could help me find her?" He pulled out the picture from his pocket as it was worn but still in good condition. Placing it on the table, you turned it and looked at it with a smile.

"I haven’t seen this picture in ages." You breathed as you picked it up and looked at it happily. "The girl in this picture is me." Setting down the picture on the table, you blushed as Myungsoo’s eyes got wide.

"Wait… really?! I don’t think I ever met you before?" Myungsoo said as he moved to the edge of his seat.

"We had a couple classes together, you just were always busy. I tried to get to know you. But then time flew by and before you knew it, it was graduation and I didn’t want to forget you, so I slid my picture into your yearbook. I am sorry. I couldn’t tell you sooner." You planted your hands in the lap of your dress as your eyes trailed down to your fidgeting hands. "I would have but I didn’t know your number and I watched you with Infinite and you might have thought that I was another fan an-" His hand rested on yours as you paused and looked up at him.

"I’m glad I found you. I’m sorry about everything. I didn’t notice you when I was in school. Thanks to your picture I was able to find you again." Myungsoo gave you a smile that made your heart melt.

"Y-You know, on the last day. I-I wanted to come up to you and say goodbye, but you were with the teacher… I tried calling out your name but you didn’t turn around." You admitted as your cheeks began to blush as your voice got small. "I wanted to tell you goodbye."

Myungsoo looked at you, more beautiful than the picture as his thumb gently rubbed against your fingers. His heart started to race as he got more and more nervous.

"I am glad you didn’t tell me goodbye, then that would mean that I wouldn’t see you again. I wanted to see you again." Myungsoo said as he stood up and your eyes looked up at him.

"May I have this dance?" The music on the other side of the gym turned soft as the disco ball lit the mood, beautiful yet romantic as you smiled and nodded. Standing up on your feet, Myungsoo held your hand as he found a spot on the dance floor.

His hands gently rested on your hips as your arms rested on his shoulders letting your hands clasp together. Moving you slowly to the music, swaying from side to side, his eyes caught yours as you couldn’t look away. The music began to fade between the two of you as his chocolate eyes melted yours.

Once the song ended, both of you stayed in each other’s embrace for a little bit before you moved your hands from his shoulders. Clearing your throat, he let his hands slide from your hips.

“I- I guess this is goodbye.” You sadly said as you bowed to him and began to walk away.

“What if I want a beginning with you?” Myungsoo held your wrist as you turned around and looked at him. “Do you know, I spent the last few years looking at your picture every day, reading your words on the back of your photo? My members wanted me to meet you, they want to meet you, I want to look at you every day, not just a photo. I don’t want to close a book that I haven’t begun to write yet; a book that I want to write with you.”

Myungsoo gently slid his fingers into yours as you become flustered and look at your clasped hands. Gently holding his hand tighter, your eyes trailed up to his as you saw desperation, sadness yet with a glint of hope that sparked in his eyes.

“I will be your beginning, as long as you promise to be there through the end.” You looked into his eyes as you took a few small steps towards him.

“I’ll always love to read our story, and to turn each page with you by my side.” Myungsoo gently wrapped you in a hug as your arms wrapped around him; your head pressed against his shoulder letting yourself melt in his embrace.