Snowflakes

Snow Days

“Babe, come on!”

 

Your feet stayed implanted on the ground, the words sounding distant though your boyfriend only stood a few meters away. Your eyes fixated upon the dusty blue-gray skies only blinking away when the soft, ivory snowflakes would coat your lashes. You scrunched your nose slightly with a laugh as the ice melted on your nose bridge tickled you. You swished your right boot back and forth, using your left one for balance, just to hear the crunch of the snow at your command. You could hear heavier footsteps coming toward you and the sigh you've heard one too many times in these past five minutes. You looked down, but not much farther due to his height, to see Seunghoon staring at you with a comical expression. He pulled your hood down covering your eyes and you flailed slightly in response to the sudden darkness.

 

“Yah, Seunghoon-ah! I can't see!” You complained trying to sound upset but a laugh evident in your voice.

 

“All you have been doing is seeing.” He retorted as he lifted the hood to look into your eyes. “I know you've seen snow before, why do you keep staring at it?”

 

“I-I don't know. Why don't you?” Your eyes darted back to the sky once more. “It's beautiful.”

 

He gently took your chin between his fingers and tilted your head to look directly at him. “I have the pleasure of staring at someone beautiful all the time, but even I can control myself.”

 

You blushed a little, not expecting the compliment so suddenly. It took you both a long time to get there. You were both a bit awkward at the beginning stages of your relationship, the transition from friend to girlfriend wasn't as easy as you expected. A few days ago, Seunghoon used the l-word for the first time in your year and a half relationship. Of course he would end the phone conversations or text messages with “love you, babe.” But this time was different.

 

As your mind drifted back to the memory you played countless times since it happened, Seunghoon decided to get you to move toward your apartment. He turned around and in one quick motion, dipped and scooped you on to his back. You gave a little shriek of surprise and gripped on to his shoulders. He held your legs close to the ankle and began to walk.

 

“Yah!!!” You complained again, lightly hitting his shoulder.

 

“Ow!” He pretended to wince in pain before looking back at his adorable, pouting girlfriend. “I just don't want you to get sick, Y/n-ah.”

 

“You get sick from germs not the cold...” You argued, pouting even more as you continued at the fluttering tears of angels decorating the world around you.

 

“Oh yeah? Hypothermia.” He replied and though you couldn't see it, you knew Seunghoon was smirking. With his bit of knowledge it was a though he dropped the mic during a rap battle. He thought he was so smart. Unfortunately for you, he was.

 

You didn't respond for a bit and then started to massage his shoulders. Seunghoon chuckled a bit as a frown developed on his brows.

 

“What are you doing...?”

 

“I'm sorry, oppa.” You said in the cutest voice you could muster. He coughed a bit and you could see the tips of his ears turning red, since every where else was covered up.

 

“Nice try...” He cleared his throat. “But even your aegyo won't save you now. We're a block away from your apartment.”

 

You groaned again and looked back up at the snow, taking in as much as you could. Seunghoon sighed again,

 

“What does it matter to you so much, Y/N? It's Winter! There's going to be snow all the time. Besides you've seen snow before. Why is it so magical now?”

 

You covered both his ears with your hands and gently guided his head up to the sky.

 

“Do you see that? Those big gaps? When you look at it straight on, you see the flakes collectively and it looks like they are falling together. However when you look at them from the sky, they are falling alone, in their own individual space. Much like people, no?”

 

You swallowed slightly, your drying lips. “Have you ever seen the streets of Seoul around lunch break. If you look from outside a window, they walk in a unit, but in reality each person is alone. But then they get to their destination.”

 

You tilted his head downward surprised he stayed quiet for so long. Your philosophy talk as he called it, often appeared to be something he listened too out of obligation. At least that's what you though when he wouldn't respond. But now you realized...he was indeed listening.

 

“Sometimes they are alone and lone snowflakes will stick to the ground all by themselves. Other times they land on mountains of other snowflakes and they fit right in. However, it takes two snowflakes to start a mountain. Once they connect, they can grow more and more like a family. Like--”

 

“Like people. I get it.” Seunghoon dips down to let you gently stand on the top of your stoop to open the door to your apartment building. He made sure to stand in front of the stairs so you wouldn't run back out there. “Why are you mentioning all this now? In the freezing cold?” He teased, a little perturbed you hadn't open the door yet.

 

“Because I didn't notice until just now.” You tiptoed and cupped his face in your hands and smiled. “There certain things you only notice when you're in love.”

 

Seunghoon stared at you for a moment, his eyes slightly wide. His hands gently wrapped around your waist and he rested his forehead against yours.

 

“I love you too...” You said before he could get any words out. He gave you a soft smile before his eyes closed and his lips pressed to yours. The kiss was soft like his pink, moisturized lips. He kept the kiss very innocent, in case anyone was passing by, and pulled back quickly. The friction of his against yours caused your heart to still race only making you want more. His eyes darted around to see if anyone saw and you chuckled, finding his modesty cute. You unlocked the door to your apartment building.

 

“Let's go inside, baby.” Seunghoon said ushering you in. “I'll tell you my philosophy talk about how people stay warm on days like today.” You shot him glance to which he only responded with a smirk. His hands still planted on your waist as you walked in.

 

Three Days Earlier

 

It's been fun guys, really, but I have to study.” You said as you placed your cards down. The other WINNER members groaned, Mino and Jinwoo begging you to stay for one more game.

 

I think I've won enough.” You tease earning a few glares. You picked up your bag of won items including a few of their merchandise and candy that they put up for the bet. As you slid from your seat, Seunghoon's arm reluctantly left from around you and he walked you toward the door.

 

Get home safely, Y/N.” He said as you buttoned your jacket.

 

I know, oppa.” You sang with a smile, adjusting your other winter gear.

 

If I could I would walk you home but we have to train more for the debut.”

 

I know, oppa.” You said your smile getting bigger, finding the word debut to be so exciting now.

 

Seunghoon chuckled, “Is there anything you don't know?”

 

About you? I doubt it.” He chuckled once more at your response and he kissed your forehead.

 

Please be safe.” Seunghoon hugged you and with his lips by your ear he whispered,

 

I love you, Y/N.” You squeezed him tight and when you pulled back you saw the sincerity in his eyes. You glanced at the other members to see that they were distracted and gave him a quick kiss.

 

I'll see you for our usual date day?” You asked, somehow the phrase he said was shy to come from your lips.

 

Of course, I wouldn't miss it for the world. But dress warmly, it's going to snow.”

 

Yes, oppa...”