This story of mine

The elderly sweetheart

 

As delusional as I were, ever since I moved houses from my hometown of Daegu to Seoul, I couldn’t stand this set of boys who dominated my neighborhood, scarcely because, well, I truly didn’t know, even now I can’t figure out, I just despised them, just for the sake of the entire context of hating them, probably, yet I did.

 

In only two weeks, however, despite hating them, I knew all of their names. There were six on the whole; Myung Soo, the (Overly handsome, I must add) silent one, Woo Hyun, the strange greasy one, Dong Woo, the laughing one, Howon the (Manly) dancing one, Sung Yeol the absurd rebellious one and Sung Jong the girly one. Those six were around the same age, Sung Jong was the youngest and we attended the same high-school; this one fact irked me to no end. I was seventeen back then, I had only started high school while, except for Sung Jong, the rest were second and third years, yet, I couldn’t understand this trait which was common among those six, they were undeniably stupid and absurd although they were older to me by age. I was tired of it all, being the only girl of my age in the neighborhood, it was all the more tiring, especially provided that my mother actually thought that I should walk to school together with Sung Jong and Sung Yeol. Oh, those two were brothers, I must add, brothers who were totally on the contraire personality vise as well as appearance wise. Being utterly shocked and being unable to speak was my first reaction hearing this one strange fact, because, trust me, those two were nothing alike.

The only fact they had in common, aside from being absurd and stupid, was that I hated them both.

I had no choice, though, there weren’t anyone else of my age to hang around in the neighborhood. Back in Daegu there were several girls of my age whom I played houses and had tea parties with, but here, being seventeen, I could hardly imagine doing that with this pack of hormonal boys. I was the only child, my parents pampered me, my grandparents treated me like I was still a baby and they made me feel all the more weirder and that was exactly why I decided to hang around them, the bull fighters, because I had no choice, because I was tired of being mummy’s baby, because I had no other way of killing my boredom. My life was sad, one way or the other, because they made me feel miserable, just so miserable. Because they were delusional and I was not.

Maybe I was too, in some non-hormonal-boys kind of a way because I couldn’t stand them.

The story here, is not at all about them, though, they just play a momentous role in it as one. This story is about me, Jung Eunji, and that mystery person who lived two blocks away on the opposite line of houses to ours.

To me, and also to the rest of them, this one person was a mystery. No one had ever seen him leaving the house, no one had ever seen anyone walking into the house, no one had ever seen a glimpse of existence in there, no one knew who exactly lived in there; well, for me, it was just an empty house, I couldn’t care less, and I didn’t exactly believe that there was a mystery person living in there for a while because it was Lee Sung Yeol who announced to me of this fact which I didn’t believe, mostly because half of what he said most of the time, were, well, lies. Besides, he was so gay, and when I asked, he flicked on my forehead and denied, but the way he and the silent handsome one Myung Soo acted peeved me to no end, they seemed ever so gay to me, anyway, I was afraid to question Myung Soo, the handsome one about his ual preference because he hardly ever spoke a word, for he was, well, silent. Anyhow, so returning to the story; I never believed it that there was someone living in the strange, seemingly uninhabited house until well, until the boys thought of playing pranks on whoever who was living inside.

What they told me was that there was some ‘Gramps’ living in there, that was how exactly they put it, a gramps, some really old guy was living in that weird big house all alone. This thought gave me creeps, for my imagination was vast. There were those times where I wondered if this said gramps was some kind a scientist who had gone nuts and was doing those creepy experiments on hamsters and rabbits, which were absolutely weird, there was this one instance where I actually told Sung Jong, the girly one about my thoughts on it and it made me even madder when he actually believed it, widened his eyes in shock as though it was the most shocking story ever on earth, ran to his equally absurd minded older brother and told him. He didn’t believe it though, for my utter happiness, because he had heard someone playing music in the house. I simply discarded my idea then, because crazy scientists playing music on hamsters and rabbit made it all the more disturbing, and all the more illogical, I stopped making more assumptions and finally decided to go with Sung Yeol’s idea, which was this gramps being some old maestro who’s piano-playing wife had died and now was crazy that he never walked out of the house.

However, there was this tiny tiny person inside me telling me not to believe those idiots, because, well, because they were idiots, and it was that Nam Woohyun who actually lived next door to the strange house who said that it was some gramps. Nam Woo Hyun wasn’t normal, there were instances where I actually wondered if he suffered from some kind of a mental illness because he seemed like so, most of the time. He was so…out of the place. But then again, whatever, he lived next door.

Yet, I was totally against their whole idea of playing pranks on the gramps, I mean, he was a gramps, in the sense, an elderly citizen, therefore the entire idea of playing pranks on him was against the morals and ethics, if that is what you call it, whatever.

The reasons why I was against them were;
a) He was a grandpa, which meant he was an elderly citizen whom we should respect.
b) Nam Woo Hyun was probably imagining things, he was of the kind to do just that.
c) It’s kind of risky, given that some grandpas could be exceptionally dangerous, my grandpa, for an instance, has some schizophrenic problem and one time he actually asked me to creep behind the cupboard and see because he actually saw some weird dude riding a bicycle there which was absolutely horrifying.

Considering all these reasons, I played all me strategies to stay away from the entire scheme, but to no avail, the day that they actually implemented the plan, which was one time in the summer just after we got the summer holidays, my parents happened to have some funeral in Incheon to which my grandparents too, had to attend, thus, they left me over at the Lee’s. There was absolutely no possible way that I could avoid the entire tumult.

However, instead of playing pranks, they ultimately came down to the conclusion of trespassing into the house. All the seven of us gathered at the Lee’s house, while they made the plans, I, being the only girl in the crowd, had to go and fetch refreshments while they made the plans so I knew nothing about what they were about to do. After hours of planning where I served them with a constant amount of food and beverages being a least bit happy about it, Sung Yeol announced that it was some fool-proof plan, we headed out to implement it. Luckily they allowed me to come alone.

The house was no bigger than ours, nor was it any different, just plain and ordinary. At first I didn’t know why even we decided to creep into it because as it seemed to me, it was undeniably useless. The house was seemingly empty, there wasn’t a trace of someone being in there at the moment, but the garden, somehow, explained that there was inhabitance in there. It was only then that I believed what Nam Woohyun had said. My impression on him wouldn’t change only by that, nonetheless.

The garden was neglected, with grass grown as high as to reach out knees, there was a broken tap somewhere, we could hear the sound of running water and some area of the greenery was somewhat muddy and damp. There was a vehicle garage on the right on the house, its gate was slightly open. Sung Jong, being the most flexible one of all slithered inside like a gummy worm, emerged out of it few minutes later, looking as though he just saw the chocolate house from Hansel and Gretel in side.

There had been a car. An old black car, and as he explained, it looked more like one of those vehicles which carried the coffins of those who preferred burial more than incineration. It made the whole situation even creepier.  I told them what I actually had in mind. I told them that he was probably keeping his dead wife at home, because he was undoubtedly crazy, maybe he was sooth-talking to her and even taking her shopping in the weird car. They laughed at me though. But whatever. They didn’t know what mentally ill people actually did. My grandpa conversed with tables and chairs at times. I made a mental note to demonstrate those things to them some time and make my point.

We walked around the backyard and found the back door. It was dirty around there, a dustbin was pushed to a side, there were empty milk cartons, fast food containers, instant ramyun and Bulgogi cups thrown in there with more the half of it littering the surrounding. There was a humongous orange cat with a red belt and a face which looked more like he had been hot on his face with a log, sitting on the porch washing his face; he looked up at us with a bored face and returned to his doing as though we were invisible. There was also a broken guitar thrown to a side. Weirdly, Sung Yeol’s assumption made a little sense. I was mad that my assumptions made no sense at all, to them that is. They made perfect sense to me.

It was Dong Woo who tried opening the door first by pushing himself lightly on the door, he tried once, twice and next time a little harder but never the door did even budge. Sung Yeol tried the next while Sung Jong stood beside me with his hands on his hips, complaining. I was freaking out, to be frank. In my head I had this scary scenario of some diluted grandpa coming around with a golf bat ready to bash on our faces. It gave me creeps. Sung Yeol’s attempt was futile as well, I got even more scared when that Woohyun came around with a big fat branch which he had found from somewhere in the backyard to hit open the door. I didn’t get it, just why they were so interested in breaking into the house, I mean, it wasn’t at all a nice thing to do. I then got this feeling of being some menial pack of thieves. My parents were very conservative. I was certain they won’t let me near those creeps when they found out about what they did.

While they were trying to bash open the door, making sounds loud enough for the entire town to hear, I walked further away from them and wandered around the back yard.

What I happened to lay my eyes then was, oh my god, unbelievable. It made my heart leap into thousand miles in the air.

My mum always complained that I took too long to grow up. It wasn’t exactly my fault, given that they were the ones who treated me like a baby, I didn’t ask for it, I mean, I did the kind of stuff that any girl of my age would do. I read princess diaries and that was audacious enough of a grown up thing although I didn’t understand some weird happenings, some disgusted me even, but that was until I began to concentrate on my biology and until Sung Jong explained it to me that it was completely natural. My mother never taught me of these. I got my first period a little too late too, and this one monthly happening still creeped me a little, I panic and avoid the guys the entire week. Likewise, I took long enough to be attracted to the opposite . Once, Sung Jong said something about hormones taking too long to react. I didn’t get it though, I at biology. Sung Yeol said my hormones were too lazy just like I were, which I ignored. Anyway, until I was sixteen, I didn’t get attracted to any boys, not from my school, definitely not from my neighborhood although I thought that Myung Soo guy was really handsome, not any celebrity even. It was a little later that I finally realized that I was attracted to someone, and it was to an idol. His name was Kim Sung Gyu.

It felt so awesome to be attracted to someone, trust me, it nourishes your imagination very well. Like I said before, my imagination was very vast, and with Kim Sung Gyu in my mind, I imagined all sorts of things. I imagined how it would be like if I met him, if he fell in love with me, if he asked me out, how it would feel like if he kissed me, how warm and nice-scented he probably was, how it would be like if I married him, how my mother would react when I did marry him; it was just wonderful to imagine those things. I didn’t exceed the limits though, like those fan girls of our school who even tells the really nasty stuff. They creeped me out, I didn’t think of Kim Sung Gyu in that way because he’s my favorite person on earth, and I despised those fan girls from school who actually did.

So on that day, what which made me really happy was the old, neglected, dirtied magazine which sat on the porch near the grumpy cat who was now sleeping on the backyard porch. There was Kim Sung Gyu on the cover, there was a really nice picture of him with thick red hair in a dark background, I felt my heart beat so fast because I was happy, everything to do with him made me happy, I could have danced around the silly backyard that time, I even forgot why we were there.

Sung Jong approached me with an annoyed face while the others were being endlessly stupid by the backyard door and gave me a look. He inquired me what I held. I didn’t verbally reply, I was too happy to even do so. I showed him the cover and he shrugged. He had once told me that all the six of them wanted to be idols too, plus that Nam Woohyun, despite being mentally ill, could sing really well. He sang at some talent quest sometime, I didn’t remember much, but he did sound really good. But the idea of them being idols didn’t make me happy. Especially that Lee Sung Yeol, he could never be one if he hoped to take over the world all the time. That Myung Soo already looked like one, since he was a mystery to me because he was so silent, I even wondered whether he was one. I asked him, he smirked and shook his head no. I guess it was the only long conversation we shared ever since we got to know each other. I really didn’t like hanging around with him, he was weird. I did it only because he was Sung Yeol’s friend so I had no choice.

Sung Jong raised his eyebrows and took the magazine in his hands, flipping through it. He loudly wondered why even it was there. That never occurred to me though, I didn’t think that there could be some particularly serious reason for a magazine to be lying around in someone’s backyard. I didn’t care even. Living in that house, as was said by Nam Woohyun, was some ancient guy mourning over his piano playing wife. I went on with the story so magazines thrown about didn’t concern me. I was just overly happy that there was Kim Sung Gyu in it. I talked to Sung Jong about my little infatuation on Kim Sung Gyu that moment, I let out all my happy hearty feelings like a mad woman and was grateful that he actually listened to me. The only good thing about him was that he listened to me no matter how long I blabbered on. I blabbered a lot, that Myung Soo always disappears whenever I started it but Sung Jong and Dong Woo, and even Woo Hyun would just sit and listen to what I had to say.

I wasn’t even paying my attention to the delusions when Sung Yeol exclaimed his frustration that the door was already unlocked. They were stupid anyway, they had damaged the door really badly, it had been Myung Soo who had actually tried the handle of the door when they couldn’t open it, and it had been unlocked. I freaked out even more, because I thought I smelled formalin in there. Sung Yeol actually hit me on my head, complaining that I needed to return to my senses and saying that it was some gramps living inside.

We walked into the house, all seven of us as though it was the most natural thing for us to be doing there. I was freaking out, of course, all ready to bawl my eyes out if we happen to come across some zombie woman playing the piano. But it was strange, it didn’t look at all like a house of some widowed old gramps, really, it looked like a house of a bachelor of some sort that we find in novels, and it smelled really nice too, it smelled of candy and vanilla, it filled my lungs like a big rush of spring wind. And of course, there wasn’t any zombie woman in sight.

The door clicked close when Howon walked in and closed it behind him. I took Sung Jong’s hand involuntarily because I was freaking out, and also because he’s the one I was most comfortable with. We walked further in and I allowed my eyes to wander around. I wasn’t searching for te zombie-piano-playing wife o the crazy gramps of course, I was just wondering, because I felt so strange, because it didn’t look like a place where an old guy lived at all, because it smelled so nice and felt so comforting like someone that I really loved was hugging me really close, because I didn’t feel like leaving the place.

I didn’t think why it felt so strange, of course. It didn’t occur to me that I should. I only felt strange, as strange as it may sound.

But I did freak out, the others didn’t though, maybe because they didn’t have any effect out of it on them, maybe because they were downright idiots, however I did, when I heard footsteps over my head; upstairs. It was the soft sound of someone’s house-slippers padding on the wood, it was so slow, like of an old man, that was when I believed a tiniest bit that it was probably an old gramps and that Woohyun might be right.

The interior was pretty simple, it didn’t show a trace of a women living in there, not that I could really differentiate how it’s like when there was a lady lingering in the house and when there wasn’t. There were three ladies in our house so I’ve never felt how it was, but looking at the empty walls and dark curtains, I could almost feel it. And it reeked so manly to top it off. There wasn’t a single photograph on the walls, curtains were dark and inanimate, the windows were all closed, it felt slightly cold that I guessed it to be air conditioned, there was a kitchen to the right, a several dirty plates were in the sink, there was a box of oatmeal and a half empty glass of squash on the counter. The oatmeal explained it to me more that it was some gramps too.

It was when we walked further into the house that I heard the soft, cranky padding of feet again, this time, closer, and then only the guys freaked out. Sung Jong squeezed my hand while Sung Yeol grabbed the other. We all rushed into the kitchen and hid behind the counter. My heart was in my throat as I glanced over at the knives above on the pantry. It was going to be the death of us today, for sure. Gramps were not easy, and mentally impaired gramps were the worst of all.

The soft padding got nearer and I held my breath. I really was afraid to die, to be honest. I never had given any thoughts on how I might die one day even. Whether it would in old age, or by some sickness or in a car crash or being pushed down the balcony by Lee Sung Yeol, I never thought of those things because it scared me. But there, waiting for the crazy old man to vanish by some miracle, I really did give my thoughts on how I might die today. Oh my, my parents were at a funeral! How would they feel like when they got to know that all the neighborhood kids had been stabbed to death by a chopping knife by some crazy old man widower in a mystery house? I was only child even, they wouldn’t be able to bear it…

The padding got closer and closer that we all somehow clustered together. The counter wasn’t wide enough that we began to squirm, Sung Yeol that stupid tree was squeezing me that I could catch a breath, I moved away, hit the unbalanced Sung Jong on the arm who lost it and fell against Howon who pressed onto Dongwoo who then nudged Myung Soo, Woohyun was the first one to be revealed from our hiding place. Only I had the effect of it too though. I gasped loudly, closed my eyes and waited for the worst. Those idiots, they didn’t react because they were so stupid that they didn’t see the need of reacting to the moment. I shouldn’t have followed them anyway, they were a pack of stupid good for nothings, I should have known where they would land me in…

The padding got closer and closer and closer, I prayed a giddy prayer for him to not to find the knife, I would get hit by potatoes or leeks rather, but never by knives or pans or marmites or spatulas or-

And it stopped.

I gulped, waiting for the worse…when-

“So you came…”

Okay, my mum had always told me not to think too much because I eventually end up imagining things. There were myriad points that I think too much about. I think too much about my period days and end up worrying how it would be like if that Sung Yeol or Woohyun found out, I think too much about my allergy of tomatoes, I think too much about my grandpa’s schizophrenia and end up worrying about him locking me up in the cupboard with that cycle-riding friend of his, more than that. I was a kid, and I was infatuated. More or less crazy, because I think too much about my first time to be attracted to a male, my first love, an idol, which was even crazier, and I think way, way too much about it that my imagination shows me the weirdest things. Things particularly like seeing him buying soya milk at the seven eleven or seeing him jogging around in the crack of the dawn that one time when I had to wake up early when we had a flight to china after we moved in or hearing some familiar song from some house in the block which I happened to recognize as Kim Sung Gyu’s…

That had been my imagination, of course, my imagination was vast. I was clingy, and I was obsessed. I was no different than that Myung Soo who ate Kimchi stew from day to night like a mad man, just like him, to live, I needed a daily, hourly dose of Kim Sung Gyu as my remedy to go on being a normal woman. That was as how far as my infatuation went.

…and now, I was seeing him popping out of some random places. I was crazy. Because this, was supposed to be some old guy’s house whose wife had died who played piano at night because she haunted the place and we were supposed to freak out because this was probably a ghost.

Maybe the zombie woman was a shape shifter. The ghost…oh my god this ghost…

There was Lee Sung Jong calling my name softly beside me, and the others were squirming weirdly beside me and…

…oh my god, Kim Sung Gyu…so so gorgeous…like a prince from a fairytale…

I couldn’t really believe if it was a ghost. I was perplexed. I was lost. I was going crazier than I was supposed to be…

Sung Jong touched my shoulder and called me once more.

Before me, near the counter was Kim Sung Gyu…my first love, my beloved idol Kim Sung Gyu, whom I claimed to my mother that I had married, whose poster I hung in my room and kissed every morning and night. About whom I was obsessed.

Was I really this delusional?

And he smiled.

Everything went black.

And I collapsed onto the floor.

 

 

I never thought my impression on those six crazies would ever change even after we had been together for quite a while, close to four months now. They annoyed me to the core, they sickened me by the way they stuffed their faces with my mum’s cooking, they peeved me with their annoying singing and imitation Kim Sung Gyu’s handsome tiny-eyes perfection and singing, they pushed me to the edge of my patience by drawing ugly beards on my posters with lipstick, and even worse, they called me ugly and they called me naïve. I wasn’t ugly and naïve. My parents said I was cute, and I knew I wasn’t naïve. Besides my grandma even said that Sung Gyu might even like me if he saw me that made me the happiest woman on earth, so considering all that, I never thought I would change my impression on them, ever. Because they hurt me, they peeved me, they annoyed me, they irritated me…

…I never thought that they might actually…love me.

It’s a strange thought, really, to know that they had a tiniest positive feeling on me, to think that they actually enjoyed my presence, but they happened to prove me how wrong I was, because they actually proved to me that they loved me, that they saw me not only as their neighbor or friend or the annoying woman who hanged around them to kill her boredom, no, they have seen me as their baby sister. And they actually had noticed even the tiniest details of what which made Jung Eunji. They had seen what made me happy or sad or annoyed, they saw what I liked and loved and detested, they had seen what I longingly desired, and hated to the core, they had even known when they should stay away from me and when they should be right beside me, they had been that fretful and close while I was…well, a downright jerk. I hadn’t noticed any of those smallest details while I was busy calling them idiots. I had been wrong all alone.

And this crazy infatuation of mine on Kim Sung Gyu, they hadn’t seen it as crazy. They had seen it as pure, beautiful even, they had even seen it as fate because I actually moved into this block being Gyu crazed all alone. They had seen my earning to see him for he had been my first love for over a year. Wasn’t it love? I really didn’t know. I was too naïve maybe, I was too immature, I was too vague to have caught those simple, tiny details. It had been me, the delusional idiot of all while they had been really smart and nice.

Okay, forgetting the part where they almost broke the door without just opening it. Really.

That afternoon, after I had supposedly collapsed, I happened to wake up at the strangest place of all. I had never imagined my future in this particular angle, like said, I was naïve, I wouldn’t think of insinuations, so where I happened to flutter open my eyes to, it was into a heaven that I had never imagined to be in my life.

And then there was an angel, he was standing by the window, there was the summer sunlight beating beautifully on his perfect glory, his brilliant crimson hair glittered brilliantly like another sun, the wind rushed into the room, his hair swayed the slightest, his scent, the scent of candy and vanilla swept into the room and filled my lungs, his hands rested on the window sill, to where I stood I could see how his fingers tips had turned red.

I almost collapsed for the second time that I had to let out a long loudly breath to get my breathing back to function, the sound of it was so embarrassingly loud that he happened to turn around, the said breath, it got stuck in the middle and I collapsed onto the soft sheets once more.

I didn’t completely black out though, because I could feel him rushing towards me, I could feel his presence, and then I could see him, right above my face.

“Hey, you okay?”

But of course. He was my crush, how could he expect me to utter a word?

I wanted to say that I had died, but really, I couldn’t even think straight, this was too much to bear, and of course I wasn’t imagining things because I could feel him, I really could feel his presence right there beside me.

He chuckled softly and I swear I almost died. I had heard him laugh on the radio and reality shows, I had seen it too, how hearty and beautiful it was, but now, I was seeing it for real, and he was doing right at me.

“You don’t have to look that surprised, really…” He muttered, taking a seat on the bed beside me.

Ask me why I didn’t black out again. But really, I wouldn’t know how to reply.

“I was waiting for this to happen for quite a while…so I’m not surprised…you don’t have to be either”

But I was, and I was speechless, and I was perplexed, I was wondering if I was still dreaming until he smiled and ruffled my hair. My breathing terminated, literally.

“You look cuter than I thought Jung Eunji, I haven’t seen you this close, but from far, countless times…trust me, I liked you even as that…I really did”

I didn’t die there though, it surprised me even, but I really didn’t. Instead, being the stupid, naïve crybaby I was, I cried, because my first love, he said that he liked me too.

I never considered myself to be mentally ill as much as I thought Nam Woohyun and my grandpa was. I wasn’t really, I wasn’t sick minded like some girls from my school were, but I knew I was crazy, because, well, I just was. But I wasn’t schizophrenic or anything, I was just crazy. Despite all that, I never thought something as impossible as meeting my first love for real, him being an idol, would ever happen to me in my petty life. Yes, I was a crazy woman who lived all dolled and pampered by my parents, really, I was so childish, I couldn’t even read princess diaries without being disgusted or badly affected by it, it was a big flaw of me, and I was panicky and clingy, I was weird, I was annoying, still despite all this, there had been a person who had liked me, and he had also been the person towards whom I had really deep, pure and untainted feelings. If it was love, I really wasn’t sure. But I did, and now, Kim Sung Gyu, he said he did too.

He had seen me on the day that I moved in to the block, he had seen me obliviously sitting in the trunk of our car, fidgeting with something, staring out in a daze, he said that he was in his car, just driving home after work when he saw me there, this was how he termed it. “Mesmerized”. Yes, he had been mesmerized, although I didn’t know how it felt like to be so. He said he slowed the car down and stared at me the longest, he said he still remembered how my hair swayed in the slow breeze, he said that it was in the spring, he said I reminded him of someone and cherry blossoms, he said it was love at first sight. He said it was fate that I moved into the block because he was a celebrity and because he never fell in love so easily, but I had been a lucky fan that he did.

I asked him whom I reminded him of was and why cherry blossoms.

His girlfriend, he said, who always reminded him of cherry blossoms because it was also in a spring day that he met her and loved her. I asked when she was now. The smile which painted his graceful lips was the saddest I have ever known.

“Nothing’s permanent…Jung Eunji, everything fades away….even love”

And that was where I learned that I shouldn’t go deeper and deeper into some subjects because emotions, they mattered.

Finalizing it, he said that I was so lucky, because I was a lucky fan, and also I had a pack of such wonderful friends who didn’t just see me, but looked right through me.

I asked where they were.

“Downstairs” He simply replied, and got up on his feet with a smile. "Since they helped me out, I had to pay the debt by feeding them."

The part 'helped me out' shocked me the most, and that was when I realized just how important they were to me. My friends, who saw right through me, who grasped every single detail that I couldn't grasp, and who always remained right by my side.

I owed them a great deal. I muttered, looking down at my hands resting on my lap. I was sitting on the edge of the bed then, Kim Sung Gyu, with his blazing red hair shining in the summer sun rays, was standing before me. He was in casual attire of grey pants, a white T-shirt, topped with a blue cardigan, there wasn’t a hint of make-up, no eye liner, all naturel, even still; he was perfect in my eyes.

Because he liked me. Because the feelings we had were mutual.

“They owe me a door” He replied to my statement and held me out a hand. “Come on, let’s go. We have an announcement to make”

I didn’t take his hand straight away though. Like I said, I was stupid and clueless. I was perplexed by his offer.

“Announcement?”

He smiled then, and my heart skipped thousand beats.

“Yes, that Kim Sung Gyu and Jung Eunji, are now…official”

 

 

It’s strange, how love comes to you in the weirdest, weirdest ways. Mine came around like that. My best friends, who became my best friends after the whole incident that is, they set me up on the whole thing because Sung Gyu wanted to meet me. They knew it was him who lived in the house, everyone knew, even my parents, except for me because I had been too naïve to find out. He had never been a mystery person living in a mystery house but a part of the neighborhood, a normal citizen of the block, he had been living there for a while because he was terminating his solo carrier and was going to be a part of a boy group, because he wanted it, because he was lonely. My six best friends, he and them had been closest comrades, they had to drift apart, because of me, for a while because I was clueless, it was hurting Sung Gyu more or less that he wanted to make things right, so he made the plan, he confessed.

Things went pretty much back to normal then. We dated like a happy couple too, we still do.

Sung Gyu joined the boy group the following year. And who exactly was it? I wonder…

Infinite debuted then, consisted of seven members. And Sung Gyu was a part of it.

I wasn’t sadly.

But I didn’t care, because we still love, I and Sung Gyu still love, and that’s what mattered the most.

Oh and one more thing? It’s a funny fact that Woohyun came up with the gramps thing. Sung Gyu is so darn lazy, walked around as slowly as a grandpa, lazy to dance and move around even, so they came up with that. I don’t know about the whole piano playing dead wife thing though, nor was I willing to find out.

Anyway, that ends here, my love story and how we met. It was rather surreal, but then again real.

That was how I and that elderly sweetheart of mine became one love. And trust me, it feels wonderful, although I don’t know how to explain it. How could I? I’m too naïve anyway!
 

So yeah, that’s my story. My own love story.

That was Jung Eunji until now.

And remember, always, like it was for me, for you too, there is someone out there to fall in love with you. Always.