PROLOGUE

Fortune

PROLOGUE

 

*****

 

“Officer Hoo, we don’t know when she will wake. Why don’t we call you when she wakes up?”

 

“No. She might run away. I’ll wait here.”

 

“It’s been a week already, Officer Hoo. She might not even wake up. But if you want to wait here, go ahead.”

 

A door opened and closed. Footsteps. Flutter of newspapers.

 

I heard everything, but I can’t see. The sound of people coming and going. The sound of machines beeping. Shoes, tapping and sliding across the floor. I can smell. It smelled clean, chemical clean. Occasionally coffee and many times alcohol. I wanted to move but my eyelids were too heavy, limbs too stiff, and throat too dry. I wanted to wiggle my fingers, say something, but its not time yet. What time is it? I think I might have lost count.

 

My head, it’s at it again. Little shocks of pain but it felt better now, much better than… days or weeks or months before. I waited for it to come, the point where I drift back into subconsciousness but it never came. The pain, its getting worse. Its like needles spearing into my skull from all angles. It was worse than before. I need it to stop now, it’s killing me.

 

You have to wake up now, dear. Stop sleeping. He is waiting for you.

 

Who? Who is talking to me?

 

Open your eyes, you’ve slept for too long.

 

Why? I want to sleep more, to let the pain go away.

 

Don’t forget to breathe…

 

Breathe…

 

Breathe…

 

My eyes flew opened. My mouth letting out a silent scream. It hurt too much to scream, like the muscles in my throat were being torn apart. The lights, too bright, shone right into my eyes. It stung. I pulled at my hands and feet but they were bound to the bed so tight. The skin around my wrist was blistered and bruised. My ankles were too.

 

I was so consumed by my own body I didn’t see him walk over.

 

“Hello Oh Yool. I see you’re now awake after, shall I say a week? You might be wondering where you are but let me assure you that’s not the important thing now,” he said, passing me a cup of water and untying me.

 

“You see,” he continued. “Last week, before you were admitted, there had been some… Happenings. I do hope you remember what happened though, or you’ll get into a whole lot of trouble.”

 

“Yes, yes, I do,” I said, the events of that night flashing back into my mind. The screaming, the tears, and the knife. The blood. I remembered how it seeped out, fresh and evil. And he watched, horrified. He shouted when he saw both of us fall, but it wasn’t my name. It was hers.

 

“Great. And I believe you might have some things to tell us don’t you? I pray you are well enough to come with me? There isn’t anymore time to waste you know…” he trailed off, pulling out a pair of handcuffs.

 

“The handcuffs are already out, Officer–” I said, looking at his nametag. “Hoo. What’s a person who just woke up from a one-week coma got to do?”

 

I smiled and offered my wrists to him.

 

“Stop with the smart remarks, if you know what’s best for you. From this moment on, you are under suspicion for attempted murder. You can choose to keep quiet till your lawyer comes, or whatever you say could be used against you in court.”

 

He snapped the cuffs shut around wrists and painfully forced me to stand. I slipped my feet into the ugly sandals provided, still getting use to not moving my toes for a whole week.

 

“Officer Hoo, let me tell you I didn’t do it first. When you don’t find enough evidence, which is definite because I didn’t stab her, I’m still going to be let out. There’s no point in taking me back, right?” I said, walking alongside the man, whose body is tensed beyond his age.

 

He kept quiet, not wanting to talk to me. Fine, suit him, I’ll do the talking.

 

“How old are you anyway. You look 27, a bit too young to be an officer don’t you think? Regardless, the only reason I’m leaving with you now, well you are pretty good looking. But too bad, your wife and kids at home must be waiting for you dearly,” I continued on, watching him squirm at the mention of his family.

 

“Your wife is going to leave you soon, with your kid. I mean, hasn’t she complained to you about your workload recently, how that you are spending more time holed up in that tiny office than at home with her and the kid? Last night you and your wife argued too, because young little Miss Hoo had some trouble with her daddy not going to watch her perform in school,” I said. I moved closer to him closing what little space between us.

 

“Shut up! It’s a bunch of nonsense, you were in a coma, and my family is fine!” he shouted, stopping in his tracks.

 

I laughed.

 

“Oh really, didn’t you know I work as a fortune teller? I was born to know things. And last night, where were you? Right by my bed–” I halted.

 

He was standing there. Looking at me. I watched his fingers tighten around the apple he was holding, like he wanted to break it or something. He didn’t move forward or backward, just staring. But I know he wasn’t here for me, he was here for her. I hated apples. I forced the sides of my mouth to go up and he tried doing that too but it came out wrong. I turned my back on him and waved my handcuffed hands above my head.

 

Goodbye, Kwon Jiyong.

 

If there was anything I’m sure at the moment, it’s that I was going to keep quiet. Officer Hoo liked it better when I don’t talk, didn’t he. I trailed one, two, three steps behind him. This would be my first time riding in a police car, and I’m excited. Officer Hoo shoved my head in and I hit the roof of the car. That motherer, I’ll make him pay for that. I’ll make him ing cry. I’ll make him ing wish he was never born.

 

And off to the station we go.

 

 

I knew they were watching me. Through the cameras, and the man sitting in front of me. His eyes stared at me like a hawk, while I tipped back on my chair.  His body leant forward, obviously wanting to begin but his lips remained shut. It’s been like this for the last half an hour. I let him believe he’s the predator, but I’ll be the chess piece that wins the game.

 

My laughter seemed to have done the trick.

 

“Why are you laughing? There’s nothing funny at all,” he said, anger pulsing through his veins.

 

“I just find this situation so hilarious, you’re keeping yourself from speaking when you evidently want to. Maybe hoping to find out the motive of me attacking her, not saying that I did it because I didn’t,” I said, waving my only free hand about. The other one was handcuffed to the chair.

 

“So what is your motive, trying to… Kill her?” he asked, placing his two hands on the table.

 

“I’m not trying to kill her. She’s not dead, I know. Well if I wanted to kill her, she’d be long buried underground and you, and your crappy police force, won’t even find out,” I said as a matter of fact.

 

“But let’s say you had a reason for her to die, what would that reason be?”

 

I like how he’s trying to dig something out of me but never succeeding, and the suspense just makes him more agitated. I counted, he shifted 3 time in his seat in the last minute.

 

“Let’s see… Why would I want to end the perfect life of her?” I said, running my free hand through my hair.

 

He shifted once more.

 

“Of course, it’s Kwon Jiyong.”

 

The truth, just plain and simple. I gave it to him. His face flashed from confusion to shock, and to confusion again.

 

The only entrance into the interrogation room opened, and another officer walked in. His steps were hurried and he went forward to whisper in Officer Hoo’s ear.

 

“I see that your lawyer has arrived Miss Oh,” he said, standing up, face a bit scrunched up.

 

“I know,” I replied. “Just like how I know that you need to empty your bowels right now. I always know.”

 

His face turned red, whether from anger or embarrassment, I don’t care. He left the room swiftly and his presence was soon replaced by Byungchul. I watched Byung Chul sit down and the accompanying officer leave.

 

“Miss, I’ve looked at your case. If you want to win, you need to be on the good side of the law. All existing evidences are against you: the fingerprints on the weapon, and the note left by the victim, and the victim’s word,” Byungchul said. “I would suggest you to give them the whole story, right from the start, right from where things begin to change between you and the victim.”

 

If I said that I wasn’t scared, it was a lie. All evidences are against me.

 

“Byungchul, if I said there was someone there, who witnessed the whole thing, would I have to go on trial?” I asked. “I didn’t do it, I swear. But nothing is in my favor now.”

 

“Of course, miss. If there’s somebody to prove your innocence, that’s great. But you should, tell them everything. If all else fails, you might get a lighter sentence.”

 

“That person. Do you think you can get him here to testify?” I asked. Seeing him again might not be such a good idea, but he is the only one who can prove my innocence.

 

“Yes, miss. Just give me the name.”

 

“Kwon Jiyong. Tell him, I’ll get out of his life once and for all if he gets me out of this.”

 

Byungchul nodded and packed his stuff. He stood up and left the room without asking more. Officer Hoo made his way in again, looking disheveled. It seemed like I’m giving him one hell of a time.

 

“Hello again, a bit too stressed out about this case, aren’t you?” I said, staring at the wall behind him.

 

“Your lawyer has spoken to you. I believe he suggested some helpful things. Would you mind sharing?”

 

I ignored him and continued staring at the wall until I got bored. I shifted my gaze and focused on him. He looked expectant, and this time, I don’t think he’d be disappointed.

 

My face was void of any emotions when I started.

 

“Are you ready for it, Officer Hoo? It’s going to be a long story and you might not get to go home tonight.”

 

I waited and he gestured for me to go on.

 

“Well, if you insist, then I’ll tell you. Right from the start, right when she brought him into my parlor, right till the end before I went into a coma.”

 

 

*****

 

 

A/N: Hello readers, if you like this fic, remember to subscribe and comment! xx

 

 

*****

 

WRECK

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/545856

G-Dragon and Yoon Yu Ri, who will end up wrecking who?

 

 

*****