Byun Baekhyun

Border's Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Mom? I'm going to the book store, okay? I'll be back by dinner," Baekhyun shouts as he rushes out to catch the bus to Border's. Baekhyun's mother only smiles and waves to her son before going upstairs to tend to her mother-in-law. Baekhyun gets onto the bus and sits at his usual seat in front of the second exit door which is the easiest way to get out to Border's; most people enter in through the front door. Baekhyun takes his phone out of his Jansport backpack and plugs in his earphones that he bought from Border's. He listens to Ailee's album for about ten minutes before the bus stops and a load of people enter in through the front door while he escapes quietly out the second door and jogs to the Border's store. 

"Baekkie! Welcome back, may I introduce you to the Nicholas Flamel books? I think they suit your fantasy taste," a cashier says. Her name is Sumi and she takes care of Baekhyun very well. She encourages him to study and buys him food from Starbucks and the restuarant across the street. Baekhyun just nods and says, "I need to buy just one book real quick, then I'll read it, okay, ajhumma?" Baekhyun then heads off to the poetry section.

"Where is Shel Silverstein?" He says the name in perfect English. He walks around a bit until he finds the book that he is looking for; "Where the Sidewalk Ends". It's the Korean Version so it makes it a bit easier on Baekhyun since he won't have to translate English to Korean in a second. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" is his favorite poetry book and his grandmother's favorite poetry book. She forgot about it, though, as she grew older. He has the English copy in his apartment in Palo Alto. He holds the book in his hands and feels the physical book. Just holding it gently before opening the book to find one of his favorite poems. He sits down on the floor and begins to read.

Where the Sidewalk Ends--Shel Silverstein

LISTEN TO THE MUSTN'TS

Listen to the MUSTN'TS, child,

Listen to the DON'TS

Listen to the SHOULDN'TS

The IMPOSSIBLES, the WONT'S

Listen to the NEVER HAVES

Then listen close to me---

Anything can happen, child,

ANYTHING can be.

Baekhyun breathes sadly as the poem comes to an end. He remembers his grandmother reading this exact same poem to him when he was younger. Tears slip down his face slowly and he uses his sleeve to wipe them away. He stands up, puts the book back on the shelf and finds another copy as a tear of his stains the cover of the one he was holding. He takes out his phone and turns on the front camera to make sure his eyes weren't puffy. His eyes are slightly red, but not much. Baekhyun walks toward the registers and goes to Sumi ajhumma's register and pays for the book. Except he isn't as cheery as usual.

"Dear, is something wrong?" she asks cautiously, not wanting to pull any strings. Baekhyun smiles. "Yes. There is something wrong." Sumi looks shocked for a second but she remains calm. She did not expect him to be so open about his problems. However, she continues to be cautious when asking questions.

"Well, do you want to talk about it?" she asks. "No, I'm afraid not, ajhumma. It's too painful to even think about. Maybe later. Goodbye, ajhumma," Baekhyuns says softly. He takes the book, receipt, and drops the change in the tip box, and heads to the Starbucks near the entrance and is instantly slammed with the scent of vanilla lattes. He inhales the soft scent an exhales. Baekhyun walks to the register where a very tall man with short black hair stands. He has ears that pop out quite a bit. 

"How may I help you?" the man says in a low, husky voice. Baekhyun's heart skips a beat. He could listen to audio books all his life if they all sounded like that. "How about a dark coffee?" the man asks. Baekhyun shakes his head.

"I don't drink coffee. I only like the smell of it." The man tilts his head back and chuckles a bit, and that is when Baekhyun gets to get a peek at the man's name tag. It read: Park Chanyeol. 

"Well, okay then. What would you like to order?" Chanyeol says with a smirk on his face. Baekhyun blushes faintly and Chanyeol smiles a bit because he thinks that Baekhyun is really cute. Baekhyun's lips start to form into the cutest pout Chanyeol has ever seen in his life and then Baekhyun says what he wants.

"One sugar cookie and one hot chocolate. Oh, and can you put the hot chocolate in a mug? I'm afraid I won't be leaving the cafe until dinner." Chanyeol smiles and Baekhyun starts to melt inside from Chanyeol's cuteness. 

"Okay, that will be $5.37, but since you're so cute, it's on the house," Chanyeol says. Baekhyun blushes furiously, takes the receipt, and runs to a table. Chanyeol then turns around and starts to make the hot chocolate. What gave me so much courage? Uh, now I look like a player to him, Chanyeol thinks sorrowly. 

"Ayeeee,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter