Final

Bad Apple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Apple was never too bad compared to how good it was to some people

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

The music starts with slow rhythm.

For the very first time their eyes meet, it all happened like a dream to Joonmyun. His heart was beating rapidly fast, as if it’s going to explode any minute. When the taller pianist’s gazes collides with his, Joonmyun could no longer reason himself that he just stood there, on his spot, like an idiot for God knows how long. And then the taller male offered him a smile. Joonmyun felt like dying at just how handsome he was. But then, he turns around. Joonmyun then realized that his dreams just died as the taller male gave more of his sweet smiles to other people.

Well, who is he kidding?

Compared to Wu Yifan, Kim Joonmyun is just a nameless kid who loves playing piano. His skill is not that bad, but not that good that it could impress other people either. Joonmyun lets out a soft sigh, clutching the file containing some music sheets tightly on his chest, walking away from the crowd. He felt so utterly small to be one of them. It is better if he just go away.

 

 

It was one of the cold evenings where Joonmyun was shivering frantically in his thick jacket. His fingers, too, was shaking, but the fast movement doesn’t slow down one bit. The rhythm then slowly gets faster and tenser, every keys was pressed with so much force, as if he’s trying to slap his emotions against it. The uncanny feelings inside him were overwhelming. It was getting faster and faster. His fingers hurt, but he doesn’t stop at all.

He doesn’t even realize that the whole notes were wrong.

Being an introverted guy, of course he had a pride that he would like to keep. Yes, a pride of being a cold-city-man, or at least, that was what he thinks he is. Namely Kim Joonmyun, he was born blessed with angelic-face by the heaven. Despite the friendly image of his and his title as the ‘charming prince’, he actually doesn’t like people getting too near to him— no less than 5 meters. He preferred to keep his world secluded from the public.

At the end of the song, he slammed the keys. Joonmyun then stared at the stack of papers on the black lacquered grand piano with unreadable expression. Those music sheets were yellowing throughout the years, yet here he is, still trying to get them right. He can’t remember how many years he had been practicing, but he still couldn’t play them.

It was raining outside. Why, such a scary voice the sky made. Joonmyun wiped the stray tear that crawled from the corner of his left eye harshly.

Tok Tok Tok!

Joonmyun gasped inaudibly at the suddenly knocking noise. He quickly turns around to where the noise was coming from. There’s a boy, knocking the glass of the window from the outside of the music room. The boy then waves at him and beckoned him to open the window. Joonmyun stared at him blankly for few seconds, before making his way towards the window and dumbly unlocking it. Once the foggy glass that separated them was opened, Joonmyun almost had his eyes popped out of its socket upon seeing such a tall, gorgeous, handsome boy with blonde locks was smiling at him. Even though his hair and clothes were all soaked, it still doesn’t make him appear less handsome.

“Why such a sad song?” The boy asked.

Joonmyun almost choked, but managed to grab a hold of himself. The deep velvety effect of the other boy’s voice was melting his inner self. “Sad? It was supposed to be an aggressive, tensed song. Not sad.” Joonmyun replied. A little surprised that he didn’t mumble or stutter.

The blonde guy raised an eyebrow, looking at Joonmyun judgingly, “What’s the name of it?” He asked again.

“Bad Apple.” Joonmyun answered, short.

The blonde continue staring at Joonmyun, and so was the shorter male until they didn’t even realize just how fast the time flies. Achoo! When the blonde boy suddenly sneeze, Joonmyun was quickly snapped off thoughts and throws his gaze away to the clock that was hanging on the wall. Joonmyun sighed inwardly.

“Bye.”

“Wait!” The blonde almost jumped, but luckily managed to catch Joonmyun’s wrist, causing the fair male to stumble backwards and almost his back against the wall. “What’s your name?”

Joonmyun’s eyebrows twitched into deep frowned, but answer anyway, “Kim Joonmyun.”

The blonde boy smiled, “I see.”

Joonmyun tried his best to prevent the butterflies inside his stomach from bursting out, but failed. His biggest crush just notices his presence… after so many years of hoping.

 

 

The music hall was empty, just like how he wanted. Joonmyun settled down at the piano in the middle of the stage, staring at the empty seats with blank stares. Joonmyun smiled, before he set his backpack down and straightened himself and starts playing the piano.

From a dark corner of the hall, a tall figure was cringing at the obnoxious awkward music played by those delicate fingers, but Joonmyun’s face was focused, he was just too indulged in his own world to realized that he keeps on pressing the wrong keys every time. But even with the terrible skills, the tall man had no heart to stop him from playing. Joonmyun had his eyes shut tightly, lips pursed, his body moved slightly along with the rhythm. He’s beautiful, that was the only thing that comes up into the taller man’s mind as he watched the smaller male playing the piano.

When the music finally comes to a stop, Yifan clapped his hands. Joonmyun gasped inaudibly at the sudden clapping noises that he turn around, only to shrink in his seat even more as he realized the person who was clapping was none other than Wu Yifan.

“S-Sunbaenim… how long have you been here?” He stuttered as the taller male walked closer to him, before sitting on the stool beside him.

Instead of answering, Yifan gave him a smile, “It was good. But that’s not how you play it.” Yifan said, before adverting his gaze towards the keys. He took a quick glance at the music sheets then nods his head then played the piano, skillfully.

Joonmyun was deeply in awe. He lost his jaw at the flawless music played by the taller male. Joonmyun’s smile falters at once. His head dropped in shame. Yifan flinched when Joonmyun suddenly reached out his hand and stopped him. He glances at the smaller male, noticing the crestfallen look on Joonmyun’s face before sighing. Joonmyun, himself, was surprised by his own action. It doesn’t take him 10 seconds to gasped and snatch his hand back,

“S-Sorry!”

Yifan shook head, smiling, “Why?” The blush that was apparent on Joonmyun’s cheeks doesn’t go unnoticed by him.

Joonmyun scooted away from him, “You’re too good, sunbaenim. I wish I could play piano like you.” He muttered.

Yifan ruffled his hair, which caused him to gasped again, “Why do you have to be like me? You can be yourself and play even better than me, you know?” Yifan tilted the smaller male’s chin up, to look into his eyes. Damn… they’re beautiful.

Joonmyun removed Yifan’s hand from his face and look down to his lap, “But I just can’t. I want to be good at playing these pieces… but I don’t know why I can’t…” He balled his fist tightly.

“Why Bad Apple?” Yifan asked.

 “It’s my mother’s dream.” He said which comes out almost inaudible.

Yifan scooted closer, “Your mother?”

Joonmyun nodded slightly. He then lets out a soft sigh, “She always hopes she could play these pieces to people. But no one ever gave her a chance to make her dream come true. At the end, she stopped playing.”

“Oh…” Yifan pressed his lips into a thin smile, “Your mother must be very pretty, right?” He asked.

Joonmyun giggled lightly, “Why did you say that?” He turns to face the tall man.

Yifan smirked, “They said, son usually looks like their mother more.”

Deep shade of crimson red starts to dominate his pale cheeks. Joonmyun face palmed himself in attempt to hide his blushing face away from Yifan, but to no avail since the latter is already laughing at his red face. And then Yifan sighed, “Where’s your mother then?”

Joonmyun bits his lips, “She left me at the orphanage when I was 10. She left me with nothing but some stack of papers.” He look at the music sheets with sad eyes, “I can’t even remember how she looks like anymore.” His last words come out in a whisper.

Yifan gave him a small smile. “I can teach you if you want.”

Joonmyun’s eyes widened into the shape of saucer. He shot his head up, making their eyes meet again. And there goes the rapid heartbeat again, blasting inside his ribcage like a loud obnoxious music.

 

 

The glorious crystal and jade chandelier, the luxurious old Victorian furniture, the golden framed pictures hanged on the pearly colored wall, the fuzzy carpet that made his feet sank into it when he stepped on it, the golden dragon Chinese statues located at the end of the room— they all screams pride and luxury of the Wu’s despite the dusts and spider webs— probably because no one had been there for too long. He noticed there’s a small door at a corner of the room— a wine cellar. Joonmyun stared at all of them in awe before closing the door and turn around to the living room again. Unlike the Southern wing that was designed to the modern Spanish style, the West wing looks a bit more old school, but still doesn’t make the interior looks less luxurious. The dim room is a bit spooky that it caused goose bumps all over Joonmyun’s body.

At the center of the room, two black lacquered grand pianos caught his attention. He blinked before making his way towards the piano. Sitting down on one of the stools, he noticed there’s a small picture frame on the piano. He picked it up.

It’s a picture of a tall gorgeous man, and a beautiful woman with a baby on his lap.

“Who are they?” Joonmyun asked, referring to the people inside the picture.

Yifan took a seat beside the smaller male, leaning closer to him before smiling, “It’s my father, my mother and me.” He said.

Joonmyun’s lips curled into a small smile, “I guess no one had entered this room ever since this picture was taken, right?” He looked straight into the taller man’s eyes.

Yifan nodded slightly, “Yeah. For an unknown reason, my parents divorced. The whole West wing was abandoned since then. It holds too much of the old memories.” He stated sadly, eyes gazing into Joonmyun’s dark brown eyes with so much unspoken emotions.

Joonmyun tilted his head a bit, “Why bring me here?” Confusion was written all over his flawless face.

Instead of answering, Yifan only smiled at him. Yifan then shrugged, “Shall we?” He pointed to the two grand pianos that had been waiting for them.

Jonmyun nods. He took out few crumpled sheets from his pocket, “I think I’ve improved.” He said, which was ridiculed by the look Yifan gave him. Joonmyun pouted, “I mean it!”

Yifan ruffled his hair, “I got it. I got. Go on, play it and impress me, big boy.” He ushered.

Joonmyun rolled his eyes. He cracked his fingers and starts playing.

The notes were all broken.

He pressed the wrong keys every time.

The rhythms were all messed up.

Totally a bad, Bad Apple.

But even so, he still continues playing.

 When the music finally comes to a stop, Yifan smiled proudly. “Yeah, you’ve improved.” He praised— lied.

Jo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter