Tangled Part 2/2

From Nicknames To Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

One year later...

 

 

 

"So we're going to be arrived at your house in exactly 10 minutes from now. I'm sorry Baek, but Jongin was so nervous, he kept telling me to call you again and again. Ah, he also said that you better wait at the terrace because if he didn't see you there he would cry,"

 

Baekhyun chuckled as Kyungsoo was trying to relayed every words that came from the hysterical driving Jongin beside him, the tanned male was sounded so stressful,  "Why was he so nervous? This is not even his wedding, anyway."

 

"Jongin said he could hear you eventhough we're not on speaker. Stop rolling your eyes, hon." And then there's a smacking sound and an 'ouch' from the other line.

 

The petite boy, with red shiny hair laughed out loud in front of his mirror, the tip of his eyeliner almost dangerously poking at his own eyes, "Then make sure he hear this one: just drive Jongin, let all the talking to your boyfriend."

 

Yes, Jongin and Kyungsoo were now an item. A very happy and lovey dovey one to be exact. As predicted, Kyungsoo didn't accept Chanyeol that night, so it was a huge surprise (err, not really) when Jongin finally asked Kyungsoo to be his. It was about four months ago, and Baekhyun still had it fresh in his mind. The petite wide eyed boy suddenly stood up from his table at the cafe (leaving his banana split and the stunned Jongin) and came running to Baekhyun's apartment before he even answered the flustered tanned and handsome boy. Baekhyun was more than willing to help- he, indeed, was a great host and a cupid in disguised because he was calling Jongin to come and fetch his doe eyed lover. And when Jongin came, he literally threw both of the boys in love to his guestroom instead so that they could settle down their issue. He only opened the door on the next morning so his guests could have a breakfast and was happy to found the boys cuddled adorably together (thanked God- with their clothes intacted).

 

Kyungsoo and Jongin were so lucky. They went to the same campus and same faculty, technical faculty to be exact (because smart people, really). Baekhyun remembered when Kyungsoo would always call him in the middle of the night (before he and Jongin got together), after both of them came back from campus and rambling about how he met Jongin, how everything went awkward, and how it was weird because the tanned boy was started following him everywhere- for hours. Eventhough Baekhyun was tired as hell, he never neglected his friend.

 

And then Jongin too, always calling him and told him stories of how pissed he was because Kyungsoo was going to the same campus as him, how he felt everything was awkward with the wide eyed boy, how he felt uncomfortable because lots of guys were having not so good intentions toward Kyungsoo and so he decided to watched over the tiny boy (not because of he cared of course, but just for the sake of old friendship- and Baekhyun would surely skinned him alive if something bad happened to Kyungsoo too), how he felt mad when boys were ogling over Kyungsoo's pale skin, how he started to think that Kyungsoo's pink lips was cute, and how he started to understand why Chanyeol like the petite boy. At this point, Baekhyun was just laughing softly and said wisely, "Karma is a , dark boy."

 

Eventhough the three of them were always still playing around together, because Jongin and Kyungsoo always made sure to dragged Baekhyun in every of their 'fun' dates, not even once one of them ever talked about Park Chanyeol. Jongin and Kyungsoo finally knew about Baekhyun's one sided love story because Baekhyun told them on one fine day in a peaceful cafe with a smile plastered on his face (hopefully it wasn't a sad smile though). Baekhyun of course knew, that Jongin was still playing with Chanyeol sometimes, and once in a while he brought Kyungsoo with him. But both boys were considerated enough for never mentioning the giant nerd's name more than three times in a month. Sometimes, they were updating Baekhyun about the latest thing that Chanyeol did, but that's all.

 

"Anyway Baek, he said we're ganging up against him."

 

"Really Jongin? When your boyfriend just took the same side as me this once. You guys always ganging up together, sharing germs and salivas but never onced I mind or whined," Baekhyun teased and then snorted quiet un-gentlemanly when the couple from the other line went all silence, "Better not act lovey dovey and left me out again, okay. I'm tired of being a lonely fly around here."

 

"He said you better just shut up and applied your eyeliner handsomely." Kyungsoo chuckled,

 

"YOU MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT MET SOMEONE YOU WANT TO IMPRESSED AT THE PARTY YOU DOOF!"

 

"Shut up." Baekhyun scoffed at Jongin's remark and pushed the 'off' button before throwing the phone on his bed. He looked at his eyeliner drawing on the edge of his eyes and smiled, "I'm ready."

 

............

 

It was a garden party. Beautiful flowers, mostly roses, were everywhere. Red and pink roses were contrasting beautifully with the clean white table cloths, curtains, napkins, and even Jongin's older sister's wedding dress. It was a sunny and cheerful day, everyone were drinking sparkling wine. Laughter, giggles, and smiles were filling the air, with jazzy music as the backsound. Family, friends, acquaintances, were all gathered to congratuled the happy bride and groom. You could meet practically everyone at the party, childhood friends, college friends, office mates, all of them- including old friends.

 

Baekhyun hugged and kissed the bride (like she was his own older sister) and shook the groom's hand, congratulating them and sincerely happy for them- wishing they could live happily ever after with lots of kids. He looked around and  couldn't find Jongin or Kyungsoo but it didn't matter because the couple might need time for their own afterall- so he just took a glass of apple sparkling wine from one of the waiter who walked near him before leading himself to the chocolate fountain. It was like a de javu though, when Baekhyun walking around, alone, in a party- trying to devouring every cakes on the dessert table all by himself like a hawk. It was really like that time on the prom night, and he chuckled at the memory. Come to think of it, he didn't do much that night, he ate, upset, shading some tears, and ended up in Zitao's arms, having a dance or two before heading back with the younger's car. Not much to recalled. Oh, and that was the last night he saw Park Chanyeol and vice versa, because since then, none of them tried to contacted the other. Baekhyun knew though, from the slipped of tongue that Jongin made when he was drunk that one night, that Chanyeol might back together with his gorgeous ex, Tiffany. He was drinking a lot that night, probably more than he ever drank before, and the morning after, with head pounding hard like someone was hitting him with a rock, Baekhyun promised himself to stopped feeling upset about Park Chanyeol.

 

Thus, he was preparing himself today, if there's a chance of meeting the said giant nerd here, he wanted to show Chanyeol (and maybe Jongin and Kyungsoo too) the best side of him. The strong and charming pesona, because eventhough without Park Chanyeol, Byun Baekhyun survived and could live happily.

 

And just like that (like a cheesy scene in a romantic comedy movie), when Baekhyun put his empty glass on the waiter's tray, he saw a familiar someone smiling widely at him. His familiar wide ears, familiar twitched of eyes, familiar set of huge and white teeth, were all directing to him. Chanyeol was not the boy with the birdnest-hair again, he cut his hair short and colored it jet black. He looked so handsome in black- dark tux, dark shirt, dark tie- everything emphasizing his handsomeness ten thousand fold. Baekhyun hate his feet that turned gooey at the sight of his old.. friend. The petite red haired boy gulped and tried to returned the smile back. He held his breath unconciously when the giant came closer and hate himself even more because afterall this time, he still mesmerized by the giant.

 

"Hey, Baek. How are you?" Baekhyun shuddered- even Chanyeol's deep voice still have the same tingling feeling effect to him.

 

"I'm fine."

 

The taller boy darting his gaze around, looked like he was focusing his eyes behind the smaller boy that Baekhyun also turned around in confusion. "You came alone?"

 

Baekhyun turned his head back to faced the forever handsome heartbreaker and frowned, "No," and he swore he saw Chanyeol's gaze faltered for a second (or was his mind tricked him like always?). "I came with Kyungsoo and Jongin."

 

Chanyeol looked glad if not relieved when he heard that (again, it could be only in Baekhyun's mind because no way Park Chanyeol would look relief over something like that), "Oh sure, yes. Of course," the wide smile came back on the taller boy's face in full force. "So, how's life? I-" but suddenly, a black and wavy haired girl appeared, a wine glass in her hand, while the other hand found its way around Chanyeol's waist- like it was its permanent place or something. 

 

Baekhyun's eyes locked to the said feminine and pale arms, only drifted back to the owner's face when he heard a mocking giggles coming from her lips, "Hey, how are you Tiffany?" Baekhyun tried to act civiled.

 

"Long time no see, Baek. I see- you still had your eyes to something that's mine."

 

Baekhyun's breath hitched because the could read him well (actually, everyone could read him well- except the forever oblivious Chanyeol), but it was Chanyeol who asked curiously, "What do you mean?"

 

Both Baekhyun and Tiffany stiffened for a while, but Tiffany smirked and looked at Baekhyun as if he was the most pathetic loser in the world, "I mean, Baekhyun looked so thirsty. I bet he wanted to drink wine.. like me," she twirled the red and pretty liquid in her glass.

 

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, suddenly felt like he didn't want to stay there any longer, "No, I don't drink wine. I prefer champagne. Now, will you guys excuse me, I have to fetch some drinks to ease my thirst."

 

But before Baekhyun could walk away, a huge palm was catching his thin arm, "Wait, Baek, are you free tonight? If you are, could we go to do some catch up? And I promised I would even send you home afterwards."

 

"But Channieee.." Tiffany whined, she even had the nerve to sulk and hold to Chanyeol's arm like a little girl- pink lips pouted and voice shrieking. "We will watch movie tonight right? Riiiiiiiggghttt?"

 

Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol's hand on his arm, he then glanced to his right and saw the whiny girl. Chanyeol wasn't his, was never his. He belonged to Tiffany and that girl was trying so hard to kept him hers. The red haired boy looked back at Chanyeol (who was looking at him without blinking by the way- as if he blinked and Baekhyun would go puff and gone. But that's impossible because Chanyeol would nevermind if he lost Baekhyun anyway) and smiled softly, "I can't tonight, Yeol. I'm sorry. Maybe next time..." he said and Chanyeol let go of his hand with a weak 'oh'.

 

 

'Or maybe never..'

 

...............

 

 

Baekhyun had decided, that he didn't want to have anything to do with Park Chanyeol anymore. Not after so many times feeling hurt and upset everytime he was hoping for a happy end. He knew Chanyeol would never see him as more than a friend, he knew that he couldn't be someone that Chanyeol had his eyes for- someone like Tiffany (eww no) nor Kyungsoo. He tried so hard to get over him, really, this one year without Chanyeol almost made him succeeded. But when he saw the tall guy again at the wedding, to be honest: his hard work of trying to move on was like crumbling down.

 

Moreover, on a bright sunday, a week later, the used to be a giant nerd,  called Baekhyun who was having his  beauty sleep of the week (because really, studying in a design faculty was not an easy thing either- he should kept producing amazing designs maybe even vomitting colorful sketches if he didn't want to be chewed by his teachers). So when he picked the phone up, didn't expecting Chanyeol to call, he got chocked by his own saliva when he heard the first syllabels pronounced by Chanyeol's deep voice, 'hey, droolface..'

 

The rest of the conversation went in a blur though, Baekhyun didn't remember how he ended up going to the waffle shop near his house- all he could remember was Chanyeol wanted to meet him and he didn't have the right mind to say no (maybe he wasn't fully awaken yet). It was too late to sent a 'no, I cant' through the message now, so the red haired boy watched his own reflection by the waffle shop's window, running his delicate fingers through his wavy locks and dusting off his navy sweater and jeans- because at least he should look presentable. As soon as he opened the door though, he wished he just sent the message instead.

 

There he was, the forever handsome Chanyeol, sat right beside his pretty but poisonous girlfriend, Tiffany. Baekhyun cursed himself for being so stupid. Of course, Tiffany the witch would be there. He better eat his own converse than sitting with them, too bad the waffle shop didn't serve shoe soles.

 

"Oh hey, Baek." Chanyeol smiled happily while Tiffany leaned on him and smiled mockingly. Baekhyun really felt that he didn't need this on his holiday. The petite red haired boy chose to twitched his eyes (hopefully looked like a weak grin or something) and took a seat in front of Chanyeol, "What do you want to eat? I know you like strawberry, their waffle with strawberry ice cream was the best menu here."

 

"Really? But I don't eat waffle. I'm alergic. I think I'll order a smoothies or something instead." Baekhyun was about to stood up to place his order at the counter when Chanyeol leaned forward and caught his wrist (again).

 

"Let me.. It's my treat." The giant smiled handsomely and Baekhyun couldn't help but only sat back in silence to save his pride. He didn't trust his voice to say 'thank you' because it might cracked and gave Tiffany the entertainment of how 'still' fidgety Baekhyun was around her boyfriend.

 

"So, Baek.. How's it going? Still couldn't get over my man?" Tiffany smirked as soon as Chanyeol left the table.

 

"And you still hiding behind heavy make up. Why? Botox couldn't help your wrinkles anymore?" Baekhyun smirked when he saw Tiffany crumpled the tissue in her hand furiously.

 

The 'mad' girl exhaled heavily, pouting and cursing under her breath before throwing a deadly stare to her rival, "Why are you doing this to me?"

 

Baekhyun shrugged and played with a napkin on the table, "I can say the same to you."

 

Tiffany gritted her teeth in annoyance, hands folded into a tight fist, and eyes shooting invisible deadly ray,  "I don't like you."

 

Baekhyun scoffed and lead his eyes to look at Tiffany right in her eyes, "The feeling is mutual," he whispered.

 

The black haired girl bit her lips and rolled her eyes, "Right.. Then why you came here?"

 

"Chanyeol wanted to threat me some smoothies." Baekhyun smiled, "Don't worry Tiffany, I won't stay long and ruined your perfect date."

 

So when Chanyeol back with Baekhyun's smoothies and set it on the table, Baekhyun took the glass and gulped everything down in less than three minutes. He threw a half hearted 'thank you' and excused himself soon after because he didn't want to stay. He'd rather jump off of the cliff than watched Tiffany tried to fed Chanyeol her ice cream seductively.

 

He left eventhough Chanyeol was calling his name with a confuse face. He also ignored the small tug on his heart when Chanyeol's sounded so dissapointed- with a little hint of upset. It didn't worth it, Baekhyun didn't even look back.

 

 

Promised yourself, this should be the last time, Baek..

 

............

 

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes when three days later, Jongin, Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol showed up in front of his campus gate. He sent a deadly glare each for Jongin and Kyungsoo because his two friends should have known that bringing Park Chanyeol with them would ruin Baekhyun's day.

 

Acting like they were not affected by Baekhyun's hisses and silent curses, Jongin and Kyungsoo even doing something as further as asking to get a lunch together- which was accepted gladly by Chanyeol of course, and rejected by Baekhyun with all his might. Baekhyun frowned when he saw his two bestfriends, they were acting strangely lately to be honest, because Jongin and Kyungsoo were boldly talking about Chanyeol in front of Baekhyun and sometimes even proposing to have a friendly outing of coffee or something which was always refused by Baekhyun. But today, in the end, Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he sat right in front of an excited Chanyeol in a family restaurant.

 

"So, isn't this nice?" Jongin grinned super widely, but when Baekhyun stared at him, he coughed, "Uh, I mean, this spaghetti's nice. But I prefered your kimchie spaghetti of course, Soo. It's magical."

 

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes as he was stabbing his meatballs with his fork- only looked up when Kyungsoo cleared his throat, "Er, so guys, how about if after this we head out to watch new movies at the cinema?"

 

"That would be great." Chanyeol chuckled. "It's a long time since the last time we went for a double date. I really missed hanging out with you guys."

 

Retreat! It was like Baekhyun's mind only screamed that words over and over again. Eating lunch with Park Chanyeol wasn't an option when Baekhyun was still in the middle of getting rid of him- moreover, going to the movies with the said heart wrecker. "I-"

 

"I don't want to hear a 'no', Baek." The small boy with wide eyed looked sharply and cut Baekhyun's attempt to reject this offer- like he was already reading Baekhyun's mind. And before the red haired boy stating his objection, a sudden and loud ringtone cut him off for the second time that day.

 

Turned out it was Chanyeol's phone and he was just staring at the screen with a scowl on his face before pushing the rejection button, turned it off, and pulled out the battery. Baekhyun watched the giant's face with such an intense curiosity as if trying to guess who was calling the giant nerd and annoyed him. He had a hunch of who it might be though- he just didn't voice it out. But Chanyeol's face was already back to his normal grinny one and so the smaller boy only shrugged and focusing back to his neglected meatballs on the bowl.

 

Another ringtone was heard on their table and this time it was Jongin's. The tanned boy frowned as he was looking at the id caller that was blinking nonstop on his screen, "Why is tiffany calling me?"

 

Three pairs of eyes were directing their ways to Chanyeol, and the tallest boy only shrugged and brushed it off, "I don't know."

 

"I don't want to pick it up. I hope she won't call me anymore." The tanned boy frowned and sighed in relieved when his phone stopped ringing.

 

This time, it was Kyungsoo's phone that went off, it was a message notification, "Tiffany sent me a message." He pushed a couple of buttons and read it, "She wanted to know why Chanyeol and Jongin didn't pick their phones up. And she demanded Chanyeol to pick her up at the mall. Now."

 

Baekhyun scoffed. Of course. He knew this was a bad idea. He shouldn't agree to go with them since the beginning because neither faith or Tiffany would allow him to have a good time with Chanyeol whatsoever- moreover a happy ending (and he was a hundred percents sure Chanyeol wasn't allow him either). Baekhyun realized he'll be forever clapping with one hand because Chanyeol wouldn't give his hand. Recalling dozen of times when Chanyeol ditched him for someone else made the red haired boy super upset. He tried hard not to looked sour (or upset) though and just swallowed his chesse and meatballs in silence.

 

When all of them done eating and were waiting for Kyungsoo who went to the loo and Jongin who (insisted to) took care of the bills, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were standing at the restaurant terrace. It was a classic one, with woods painted white, plants on the pots hung to the ceiling, and little lamps circled the wooden pillars. Baekhyun didn't want to talk, so he prentended to be busied with his phone. Eventhough he knew from his peripheral view that Chanyeol was stealing glances to him every now and then, he didn't care.

 

The giant nerd think otherwise though, because he finally decided to say something to the frowning smaller boy, "Baek, can I ask you something?"

 

Baekhyun hummed, eyes never leaving his phone.

 

"Do you mad at me? You- you never ignored me unless you're mad at me."

 

The red haired boy sighed, he really didn't want to talk about this. He hoped Jongin or Kyungsoo would come out of the door in no time, so in the meantime he would just answered as normally as he could, "No, I'm not. I'm just tired, Chanyeol. And I just wanna go home."

 

Baekhyun was surprised when suddenly, Chanyeol's hands gripped his shoulders and turned him around, "Baek, can't we- can't we back to be bestfriends like the old times? If I did something wrong, I'm sorry."

 

"Chanyeol, what did I say about asking for apologize when you didn't even know what you did wrong? It would be something useless. So stop doing it." Baekhyun frowned while struggling, trying to freed himself from Chanyeol's grip, "You did nothing wrong anyway." Yes, Chanyeol wasn't wrong because he loved someone else. Who's wrong was actually Baekhyun, because he love his own bestfriend and couldn't let go.

 

"But you kept ignoring me. I couldn't without you, Baek. To be honest, this one year was like hell to me because I only got to know about you from Jongin."

 

Baekhyun scoffed in annoyance, "Didn't you busy with Tiffany?" The petite boy looked up, shooting his glare at the taller boy, "I see her as a handful girl, you wouldn't miss me. Bestfriend couldn't beat girlfriend, I know."

 

"And how about you? I bet you must be busy with Zitao too." Chanyeol frowned, his thick eyebrows were married in the middle of his forehead.

 

Baekhyun frowned too, his stare at Chanyeol was getting more and more intense, "I thought you said Jongin talked about me to you. I see now that  you were just bluffing then. If you really did talk with him, you would know that Zitao was already went back to China. And why are we talking about him all of a sudden? Did you jealous of him or what?"

 

The taller boy bit his lips and sighed, "I did talk to Jongin. But I never asked about Zitao. Because to tell you the truth, I was afraid. It hurts me a lot to see you close to him"

 

Baekhyun stared at Chanyeol as if the taller boy was out of his mind or something, he couldn't believe what he just heard, "You're being silly, Park Chanyeol. You're my bestfriend, he was just one of my good friend. Did you want me to have no friends except you?"

 

"Baek, you didn't understand. I saw him, and I clearly knew that all he ever wanted was be more than just your 'good' friend." Chanyeol said frustratedly, hands still on Baekhyun's shoulder and it got tighter every second of their first long conversation after a long time.

 

"So?' Baekhyun looked at Chanyeol with hurt mixed with annoyance in his clear orbs, "What's wrong with that? It had nothing to do with you anyway."

 

"Oh yes it had." Chanyeol looked so serious, "Because I want you for myself." He added in a dangerous whisper.

 

Baekhyun was just blinked as if his mind was went off for a second. He scoffed mockingly as soon as he got his composures back, "What are you talking about? You have Tiffany. Wasn't she enough for you?"

 

"Why did you always bring Tiffany up? She's not even my girlfriend." Chanyeol whined frustratedly, he let go of Baekhyun's shoulders just to grabbed his own black hair in despair and walked around in circle.

 

"What?"

 

The taller boy looked back at Baekhyun and decided to grabbed his shoulders again. Baekhyun winced as Chanyeol was spitting his frustration out to him, "You knew since highschool that she likes to cling to me like a koala. I never get back together with her. Eww, I didn't want to." Chanyeol took a second pause before he continued, "I'll be honest with you, I took advantage of her. I kinda let her clung onto me so I could see your face, would you feel jealous if I was with her? Infact, I couldn't had any relationship with anybody else because I only wanted you. Since highschool it was only you."

 

"You're kidding me, right? Because I remembered clearly that you liked Kyungsoo. You told him on prom night," Baekhyun really didn't understand. How could this turn out into something like this? He started to feel dizzy.

 

"I 'thought' I liked him. But turned out I didn't, Kyungsoo helped me to realized about it. I like you, Baek. Up till now. I didn't like Zitao because I was so jealous. I felt insecure. I didn't like it when you were with the other boys either. I got mad easily when you did that."

 

"Then why you just told me about it now?" Baekhyun screamed. He stared right into Chanyeol's eyes, trying to searched for the truth but then was too afraid to knew about it- hence he shut his eyes tightly. Everything was so confusing, he really did trying so hard to forget about Chanyeol, but why the taller was being like this right now?  Baekhyun struggled hardly with all of his might and succeded to get free. "This couldn't be happening. No. You're just lying." He muttered under his raging breath and was refusing to look at Chanyeol. Baekhyun was already by the end of the terrace's stairs when he looked back at Chanyeol with so much hurts reflecting on his eyes,  "I can't with you, Yeol."

 

I really can't...

 

 

 

...............

 

 

Baekhyun tried his best to ignored Park Chanyeol afterwards. He needed time to sort things out. He refused to had dinners out with Kyungsoo and Jongin- afraid he might met the taller boy there, he didn't pick up Chanyeol's calls, he pretended he didn't saw the tall handsome boy who was waiting for him at his campus' gate, heck- he even ignored the mumbles and whisperes from other students when Chanyeol decided to just followed Baekhyun in silence after Baekhyun didn't answer when Chanyeol w

Please log in to read the full chapter