Feeling Warm

Don't worry. I'm here. (discontinued)

The knock on the door startled TK. “I’ve got some clean clothes for you to change in. They’re clothes that I wore when I was about your age. I’m sure you can fit in them. I’ll put by the door, okay?” said Kiseop over the door. When he heard the sound Kiseop’s footsteps fading, he breathed out a sigh of relief. He looked at his bleeding wrist. Somehow he was scared of Kiseop finding out about his wrist. He never felt that way before. He could not comprehend why.

By the time he was done showering, the bleeding had stop. He took the clothes that Kiseop gave and wore it as he was told. He folded his old dirty clothes and headed to the kitchen. Kiseop turned to face TK when he realized that TK was standing behind him. “Oh! You’re done. Just in time. Put those clothes into the laundry basket over there. Then, come and sit here.”

TK did just that. When he was seated, Kiseop placed a bowl in front of him. “Here. Have some. I just cooked it out of a can so don’t worry, it won’t taste bad.” TK just stared at the bowl. “It’s just chicken soup,” continued Kiseop. “Since it’s been a long time since you’ve last eaten, I thought that something light for your stomach would do.” TK continued to stare at the bowl. Kiseop sighed. He grabbed the spoon and put it in TK’s hand. “Go ahead. It’s not poison or anything.” TK did not move. “I don’t really care how your previous caretaker took care of you. When you’re under my care, you play by my rules. And my rule is you must eat. At least 3 meals a day and sometimes more. Eating is a must. No scary syringe thingy unless the doctor says otherwise. Got it?” TK nodded. “Good,” said Kiseop, proud of himself.

As Kiseop watched intensely, TK took a sip. Then, there was a silent tension in the air. “So, how was it?” asked Kiseop.

“It tastes nice,” replied TK. Kiseop smiled from ear to ear. “Good,” said Kiseop. 

When they were done, Kiseop put both their plates into the sink. “Do you want me to wash up the plates, Mr. Lee?” asked TK.

“No. It’s okay,” declined Kiseop. “I’m used to washing the dishes. Go sit on the couch while I wash up the plates.”

TK sat on the couch and did not move the whole time Kiseop was washing the dishes. When Kiseop was done, he went into the living room and sat next to TK. He looked at the clock hanging on the wall. “Oh, it’s already this late?” exclaimed Kiseop. “TK, do you mind sleeping on the couch? I don’t have an extra bed since I’ve never expected anyone to live with me.”

TK shook his head. Kiseop walked into his room and walked out with a pillow and blanket in his hands. “Here’s your blanket and pillow.” Kiseop handed them over to him. “Well, good night,” said Kiseop and he went back into his room. At the door of his bedroom, TK said, “Kevin.” Kiseop looked back at him. “My name is Kevin Woo.” Kiseop smiled. Before going back into his room, Kiseop said, “Good night, Kevin.”

 

Kevin placed the pillow at the end of the couch and pulled out his gun from the back of his pants. He checked his gun when he was in the bathroom, worried that Kiseop would not like the fact that he carries a gun around. He placed it under his pillow. He laid down and noticed that it was comfy. Why did I tell Mr. Lee my real name? He thought of the chicken soup that Kiseop made for him. That chicken soup was nice. He smiled to himself. Mr. Lee is nice. With that, Kevin’s eyelids became heavy and fell asleep.

 

Kevin could feel, vaguely that someone was close to him. As time passed, that feeling grew stronger and stronger. Slowly, as he was trained, he moved his hand slightly deeper into his pillow for his gun. Once he gotten a hold of it, he quickly pointed the gun towards where he thought that person maybe. Kiseop quickly moved away, in reflex, from the gun that was pointed at him. When he got hold of the situation, he became upset.

“Kevin, why do you have a gun with you?” questioned Kiseop.

“I’ve always had it,” said Kevin.

“What? They let keep you keep a gun?” said Kiseop in outrage. “Are they nuts? How could they let a 15 year old boy keep a gun? This has to be illegal. Yes. Yes. This has to be.”

“But, Mr. Lee…”

“A 15 year old carries a gun. Way before I started carrying one,” said Kiseop to himself.

“Mr. Lee!” said Kevin, raising his voice a little.

“Yes?”

“It’s in the file.”

“What file?”

“The file you were given.”

Kiseop thought about it a little while. “What about it?” he asked.

“It’s written in there that I must always carry a gun or at least some sort of weopen.”

“Are you kidding me?”

Kevin looked to the side and back at Kiseop. “No.”

“Hold on a sec.” Kiseop rushed into his room and searched for the file while Kevin continued standing in his place. Kiseop came out of his room with the file a little disordered. He went straight to the sofa and sat on it as he searched for the page.

“Page 29,” said Kevin.

Kiseop looked at Kevin for a while before looking for the page mentioned. Kiseop read the page out loud. “-should carry a weapon at all times. TK950 must be equipped with a minimum of two weapons which must contain a firearm and dagger.” He looked at Kevin in disbelief. “No way. Who the heck wrote this? There is no way I am letting a 15 year old carry a gun. Give me your gun,” demanded Kiseop.

Kevin stared at Kisoep. Kiseop sighed and demanded again. “Give me your gun.” Kevin obediently gave his gun to Kiseop. “And your dagger,” added Kiseop. Again, Kevin gave it to him without a fight. “Since you’re under my care, you go by my rules. As you already know yesterday, you have to eat three meals a day. I’ll prepare something light for you since you have not eaten in a long time. No weapons. Boys at your age should not carry a gun or a dagger or any weapon for that matter.  That’s all that I can think of for now. Do you think you can follow it?” said Kiseop.

Kevin nodded. Kiseop smiled, feeling a sense of accomplishment. “Well then. Let’s head of to work, shall we?”