Holding Onto Gravity (1/2)

Holding Onto Gravity

Sehun streaks across the sky like a small, dark brown dart.

Yixing, who looks at the puddle next to him, sighs sadly at the feathers on his forehead that refuse to smooth down, leaving him with an unfortunate unicorn-like appearance.

Sehun yells,"I AM GLORIOUS" as he torpedoes through the air.

Contrary to popular belief, Oh Sehun is not a sparrow. He is a ing magestic, independent eagle.

Yixing, on the other hand, pretends to believe the small bird.

Sehun enjoys to swoop delicately across the wind, screaming utter nonsense like "PEW PEW PEW MOTHERERS ONE DAY I WILL KILL ALL THAT CROSSED MY PATH" or "I LOOOOVEEEEEEEEEE BEETLES. BEETLES ARE ING AMAZING."

Sehun lands on the branch with a princessy air around him as he lets out a shallow puff of air.

"Yixing," He starts. "Did you see that loop. That was a perfect circle. 360 degrees of ing perfection."

"It was quite nice." Yixing says slowly. 

Sehun shrieks like Yixing just stabbed him. "IT WAS A PERFECT LOOP! YOU'RE AFRAID TO ADMIT IT BECAUSE IT WAS SO PERFECT. I DON'T LIKE YOU. GO AWAY."

Yixing nods, but continues to stand there.

He simply walks over to Sehun and removes a small leaf that was caught in Sehun's tail feathers.

Sehun sniffs and mutters,"Worry about youself, Yixing."

He reaches over and smooths down Yixing's forehead feathers in a single motion.

A few seconds later, Yixing's feathers pop back up.

Sehun pushes them back down with an irritated growl.

They spring back up.

The cycle continues for a few minutes before Sehun gives up and jumps back into the air.

Yixing fondly watches him fly before also spreading his wings and flying back to their connected nests in a nice tree.


Luhan thinks that they're both stupid.

As the self-proclaimed deer king ("King of the deer, goddammit. It sounds more official that way"), Luhan feels like it's his obligation to judge all of the stupid animals of the forest. Especially those two.

"Actually not Yixing, it's just Sehun, to be completely honest," Luhan said as he chewed thoughfully on some grass.

Minseok, a nearby squirrel and Luhan's best friend, stuffs a few acorns in his mouth before saying,"Why is Sehun stupid?"

He nearly spits out his nuts in laughter after contemplating his question.

"Nevermind, don't answer that. Haha."

Luhan looks over at his friend, frowning at the sight of Minseok's messy fur.

Minseok's eyes open wide as he sees Luhan walk toward him with the eyebrows.

"LuHAN!" He squeals in alarm. "I know those eyebrows! I know that look!"

He starts to scramble away, but Luhan's tongue is already on the top of his head and over his face, 

"I don't need to be cleaned," Minseok sniffles, every bit of his squirrely pride gone.

"Sure you don't." Luhan says agreeably, making sure to get the bits of acorn around his cheeks.

Personally, Luhan thinks that Minseok is the most stupid of the animals in the forest. 

That's why he had taken it upon himself to take care of him.

Luhan noses Minseok's back, pushing him towards the stream.

"Let's go to the stream."

"I need to wash off your drool anyways." Minseok grumbles cheerfully.


Meanwhile, Yixing is fixing the branches in the corner of Sehun's nest because Sehun can never get rid of any branches and junk he finds.

Sehun squawks as he drops into the nest.

"YIXING. DON'T TOUCH MY BRANCH COLLECTION."

Yixing languidly turns to look back at the wayward branches and lifts an eyebrow.

"It's a work in progress." Sehun shrills, using his beak to peck at the branches.

"Okay, Sehun. What do you want for dinner?"

Sehun stares at him with big eyes.

"Are you seriously asking that question."

Yixing shrugs. "You could have changed your mind because you always eat-"

"BEETLES. THEY ARE THE BEST THING ON THIS GODFORSAKEN PLANET. HOW DARE YOU EVEN QUESTION THEIR EXISTENCE."

"I'm sorry." Yixing states and gets a beakful of beetles that he already prepared and sets them in front of Sehun.

Sehun gobbles them up.

"You should be." Sehun mumbles through a beakful of juicy beetles. "But since you got the good beetles, I forgive you."

Yixing smiles and settles down next to Sehun, methodically eating a few plump red berries.

The sky darkens little by little as the two birds eat silently.

Sehun lets out an occasional slurp as he chomps down on a particularly succulent beetle.

Yixing passes him a small leaf without a word so he can clean his beak.

Sehun takes it and rubs his beak against the soft green leaf and turns towards Yixing.

Yixing uses his wing to brush off a stray leg as his eyes scan Sehun's face.

'Sehun is very good looking,' Yixing suddenly thinks to himself. 'I quite like his face. And his beak. His beak is nice. Yes.'

He gives him a slight nod when he makes sure that Sehun's face is completely clean.

Sehun continues to eat without a thought.

Yixing peeks at the fading sky and chirps,"Sehun, I'm going to go to my nest."

Sehun nods.

Soon the sun is gone and the world is covered in a thick black blanket, with the moon shining through the hazy clouds in a smiling crescent shape.


Sometimes, Sehun thinks about where his family is, or if he had ever had one.

Especially on darker nights like tonight.

It occurs to him that Yixing is the only one Sehun has been with in a long time.

His eyes open and refuse to close.

He sighs and snuggles in the fluffy leaves that Yixing collected for him.

Sehun feels a little strange and stifles a small sob.

He imagines a filled nest, with birds like him. He wonders if Yixing will ever leave him.

Sehun feels kind of lonely.

Yixing looks over from his nest, which is literally a few feet away from Sehun's nest, and discreetly walks over so he that he won't disturb anyone else in the tree.

"Sehunnie, are you okay?"

"I told you not to call be Sehunnie," Sehun whimpers. "That's a small sparrow's name. I'm a majestic eagle."

Yixing pretends to believe him.

"Sehun, are you okay?"

"Yes, Yixing. I'm fine."

Yixing pretends to believe him again and sidles next to Sehun's huddled form.

"I'm going to sleep here because I had a nightmare." Yixing whispers, and wraps his wing around Sehun.

Sehun raggedly says,"I'm only going to allow you to do this because you get me beetles."

"Okay." Yixing rolls his eyes in the dark and pretends to believe him once more.

As Sehun snuggles into his side, he thinks,' I like feeling Sehun's feathers against my feathers. This is a nice feeling. Yes, this is a nice feeling.'


The next morning, Sehun promptly shoves him over and gets up.

"TODAY IS A NEW DAY, YIXING. I AM A MAGESTIC EAGLE ON THE PROWL."

Yixing nods. "A magestic eagle you are."

Yixing wonders if Sehun will ever leave him.

He pushes it to the back corners of his mind and focuses on finding some nice beetles.