it's all about you

page one of three hundred sixty-five

 


 

"Happy New Year!" She jumped happily, while looking at the fireworks outside. It was the jolliest time of the year, the 'go' signal for another change. The past year has been a success, and this time around, she thought of another twist. "A new year, a better me, I guess." She has always believed that she should change for the better, and strive harder for the upcoming year.

 

She excused herself from her relatives and went straight to her room. She got the key to her secret box, which was placed under her bed. It was just a small notebook, that has the Eiffel Tower as its cover. She has always been a big fan of France, and has dreamed of living in that place someday. 

 

Im Yoona's.

 

Yoona got her pen, and sat on the carpet. She scribbled all the things she has wanted to do for this year, and made sure to keep in her mind to fulfill this all, just like what she did for the past few years. She smiled as she looked at the tasks she has successfully done, shaking her head as some of them were stupidly written. It was not long ago since she started to have this list. When she graduated high school, she decided to live her life to the fullest, forget her bitter past, and keep moving on.

 

New Year of 20**

1. Be happy.
 

She chuckled. How can she not be happy? Happy family, luxurious life, a high-paying job--what more can she ask for? She was loved, she loves, and will forever love. She told herself to never do what her first love had done to her to others. She was hurt, yes, but what had happened taught her lesson.

 

2. Work harder.

 

For now, she had focused on working harder to achieve her goals. And to think that she is a great money-spender, she really needed to work harder. She must not always depend on her parents, and she stopped depending on others eversince. She learned to stand on her own, and be strong. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

 

3. Do not be contented, stop being enough. Be perfect.

 

She was not contented to herself. She wanted to strive harder. For her, everything she have done is still not enough. She was a big dreamer, yes. She does not care even if others told her to stop dreaming because she has already been successful. They had always told her to give the chance to others. She was a well-known fashion designer, a part-time model, and a prima ballerina who teaches ballet every Saturday. But for her, it was not enough. She wanted to be perfect. So when the time comes, her daughter will be proud of her. 

 

***

 

Yoona fixed her things, while waiting for her students to go home. But she saw little Mimi, still sitting on the floor, while waiting for her guardian to fetch her. She looked bored and annoyed, so Yoona decided to entertain her for a while.

 

"Mimi, your guardian isn't around yet?" She sat down beside her, and slowly caressed Mimi's hair. The young one looked at her with her big doe eyes, and she chuckled because the little one's eyes had mirrored hers. Some even thought that Mimi is her daughter because of their similar looks. 

 

"Appa told me that he'll fetch me, but I guess he's going to ask the driver again because he's busy." Mimi pouted, making Yoona adore the little one's cuteness. Mimi is 5 years old, the same age as her daughter's. The only difference is that she has never seen her daughter ever since she gave birth to her. 

 

"Don't worry. Maybe the driver will go here soon." Yoona smiled, while Mimi returned hers. She was one of her favorite students, because she's so positive towards life. Mimi had always told her that her father is a good one, because he taught her that the world is full of rainbows and butterflies. If only she knew more than that. She shook her head, feeling sorry for the child. Soon, she's going to learn that life is not always beautiful, and was full of obstacles and pain.

 

Mimi's driver came, and they both bid their goodbyes. Yoona smiled, and soon locked the studio to head off to her favorite coffee shop. As always, it was not that full, since it's pretty hideous, though the space is quite big. She sat at her favorite seat, the one near the 'memories' board, and ordered the usual. She then asked the waiter for a pink sticky note, and wrote a short poem for today. 

 

If only I could see you,
If only I could touch you,
I would love you more than anything.

-ya

 

 

She smiled, and stuck the note at the 'memories' board. As if on cue, her order had arrived, and she ate peacefully, not noticing the deer-eyed boy, who had set his eyes on her eversince she stepped in the shop.

 

***

 

"Ms. Im. Someone's asking if she may come in." Yoona raised her head up, looking at her secretary. It was rare for her to have a visitor at that time of the day. She dropped her pencil and fixed her table, removing the silks that were on top. She then nodded at her secretary, and patiently waited for her visitor.

 

"Teacher!" Startled by the small voice, she immediately stood up, and the small figure hugged her knees. She was beyond shocked, and was confused on how the little girl figured out the way to her office. "Appa brought me here! But he said he would not be able to come in, so he let me instead!" Giving her gummy smile, Mimi gave Yoona a little box. Yoona carried Mimi towards her chair, and asked the secretary to call the father of Mimi.

 

"I'm sorry Ms. Im. But he refuses to come in." She looked at Mimi, who was busy looking around her office. She sighed. Why would Mimi's father hide from her? Shrugging the thought off, she smiled at Mimi. 

 

"Would you like teacher to design a new dress for you?" The little girl nodded in enthusiasm, and she just chuckled at her cuteness. After several minutes, Mimi bid her goodbye, for she is to go home already. Yoona guided her towards the door, and pecked her right cheek before saying goodbye. "See you on Saturday."

 

***

 

"Lu Han-ah, I'm pregnant." They were only eighteen years old that time, and were not capable of raising the child on their own. It was a blessing, but not for Lu Han. He was a well-known guy at their school, and he does not want to ruin his own reputation if the news of him becoming a father at an early age spread.

 

"I'm sorry Yoona, but I''ll not take responsibility for that child." He walked away, leaving a broken girl with a fetus in her womb. Yes, she thought of having abortion, for she has dreams to accomplish. But she was not that heartless to do that. She would not kill nor abandon a person who does not deserve it.

 

Her parents were greatly against her pregnancy, so when she gave birth, they decided to give the baby to her father. Lu Han did not like the idea, but his parents insisted to take care of her. They said to never tell Yoona that her daughter is alive, because they wanted Yoona to forget about everything that had happened.

 

"Your daughter did not survive, I'm sorry." She could not believe everything that the doctor had told her. They said that her daughter's lungs were weak, and was not able to open her eyes. She told everyone to stay away from her, and locked herself inside the room for days, before deciding to move on with her life.

 

***

 

She excitedly met Mimi at her apartment, and greeted her warmly. Mimi had told her that her father is busy with something, and will just fetch her later. She suddenly became excited with no particular reason, for she will meet her student's parent. She then started sketching, and got her measuring tape to record Mimi's measurements.

 

"You know, this will be the first time I'll be making a dress for my student!" She chuckled excitedly. While they were bonding with each other, Mimi had told her interesting things. How her father taught her to be kind to others. She never mentioned her mother, so she got curious about it. Before she could even ask, the doorbell rang. "I'll get it."

 

She immediately ran to the door, and was shocked when she saw the man standing in front of her. But before she could even react, Mimi ran to him and and hugged his knees. He immediately crouched down the kid's height, and hugged her back tightly. "Daddy!" 

 

Then it struck her. He's married. He has a child. She was mad--no, she was furious. How could he be happy when she's been living all her life miserably? Tears wanted to run down her eyes, but she shrugged them off when Mimi looked at her joyfully. 

 

"Daddy, this is my teacher, Ms. Im Yoona! And teacher, this is my dad, Lu Han appa!" She tried to return her gleeful smile, but she just can't because so many things are running in her mind, and she can't think straightly. She was confused, mad, and shocked. Her emotions were all mixed, that she can't help but to stare at the two.

 

"So, we have to go home now Mimi. Say bye to your teacher." Instead of looking at him, Yoona crouched down Mimi's level, and ruffled her hair. The younger smiled, and she pecked Yoona's cheeks that made her tear up.

 

"Good bye teacher! See you next week!" She watched them as they marched off, and immediately closed the door when they were out of sight. Her tears spilled out immediately, and her knees were too weak that she accidentally slumped into the floor. She's too wasted right now, that she was not able to answer her phone. It rang and rang, until it died. She was a mess right now, but she did not care.

 

Her first love, her first heartbreak, her first boyfriend, her first in everything, and most importantly, the supposed-to-be father of her now dead child, came back to her life, and she did not know what to do.

 

***

 

She had a photoshoot the following week. She had to leave work for a week, and was too tired to even teach ballet on Saturday. So she also called it a day, and was surprised when an unexpected visitor came to her apartment.

 

"Teacher!" Mimi ran to her immediately, and gave hear a tight hug. She was so happy to see the little kid, but was ungrateful when she saw her companion.

 

"M-Mr. Lu." She bowed, and avoided his eye-contact. She let them in, and ate the food the two brought along.

 

"Teacher! Why did you not go to school today? I missed you!" The younger remarked, making the elder the chuckle in amazement. She told Mimi that she has to skip school because she was too tired. Lu Han was quiet the whole time, just looking at the two who are having fun. "Can I look at those photo albums?" Mimi asked hesitatingly. Yoona permitted her to do so, and the younger immediately skipped to the albums, leaving the two sitting on an awkward silence.

 

"It's been a while, Yoong." Yoong. He had always called her that. Most of her colleagues use that nickname for her but it feels different when it's him who says it. It took long after she decided to break the silence between them.

 

"What do you want?" Her voice was shaky, but she does not want it to be obvious. She's afraid: afraid that he's going to make his revenge for killing their own child. But why would I bother? He was the one who left me anyway.

 

"I want you back." She looked at him. How could he say such things after what he have done on the past?

 

"I don't want you back." She took a glance at the young girl, who's busy praising her photos. Mimi felt that someone was staring at her, and turned around to wave at Yoona before glancing at the photos again.

 

"What if I have something that will want you to come back to me?" She fiddled with her fingers. She's nervous. There are so many what-if's on her mind, that she could not process everything that he's saying.

 

"You're just threatening me. You don't have anything with you. Just stay out of my life and--"

 

"What if I say that Mimi's your daughter?" Her vision went blurry, and her head was throbbing. All she heard was someone screaming her name, before everything went black.

 

***

 

"Teacher! Appa, she's awake!"  Yoona tried to get up, but her body was too heavy. She looked around, and saw the two familiar figures running towards her. "You've been sleeping for a day, teacher." Her eyes widened, completely forgetting her situation. 

 

"I--I need to go to work." She tried to remove everything that was injected to her, but a hand slapped her hands away. "Please, let me go--" She said weakly. Lu Han got Yoona's hands, and kissed them softly.

 

"No, you're not going anywhere. You'll be staying here for a few days, and let your secretary do your works. The doctor said you fainted because of exhaustion, and your asthma had gotten worse. God, what's with you? Why are you overworking yourself?" 

 

Shocked by his words, Yoona let them all sink in her mind. She was confused--why was Lu Han suddenly concerned?. Is he trying to play with me? She looked away. She will not let him get her heart once again. "This is none of your business so shut up and let me leave!" She got up, but Lu Han pushed her gently to the bed.

 

"I care for you, and I did not stop! You make me go crazier everytime I think of you. I do not know what you have done to me but--"

 

Yoona tried to cover her ears as a tear fell from her eye. "Stop! I don't want to hear any of your lies again!" Mimi walked towards Yoona, and hugged her tightly. The elder cried harder, as Mimi looked at the both of them.

 

"Why are you two fighting?" Yoona was on the urge of removing everything that's connected on her, but Lu Han called a nurse to assist Mimi out. He took a step towards Yoona, and looked at her.

 

"I love you." 

 

"Stop lying."

 

"I did not forget you, I got scared. Scared of the responsibilities, scared that I'll never be enough to support the both of you. I love you--"

 

"Stop hurting me, Lu Han. Please." This time, she's hugging her knees, and bawling her eyes out. Lu Han wanted to go near her, but he was scared.

 

"I will not stop saying I love you, until the day you forgive me. I loved you for who you were before, and I do not like the fact that you've changed. The Yoona I knew was a big dreamer, but she will not change herself to achieve everything she wants. I know that I was a coward, but look at me now. I raised Mimi, I raised our daughter properly." This time, Yoona held her head up and wiped her tears. She looked confused, so Lu Han thought that this would be the right time to tell her everything. "She did not die, Yoona. Mimi survived. Your parents did not like the idea of keeping her, so they gave her to me instead. 

 

"At first, I hated it. I let my parents take care of her because I was scared of responsibilities. But when I graduated college, they gave Mimi to me. They said that I have to take care of her because she's my own. At first it was hard, but then I realized that it is my time to take care of her. I do not want her to know about our bitter past, so I told her that her mother is away, doing work. 

 

"Yoona, if you're willing to accept me again, I would be grateful. I know that it'll be hard for you but please, can you give me a second chance?" He kneeled in front of her, bringing out a velvet box, that has a diamond ring inside it. It was not that grand, but it was not plain either. Yoona was shocked about the sudden confession, but smiled inwardly knowing that her first love did not give up on her. 

 

It's true that she still has feelings for him, and she can't deny the fact that her love for him never faded. Yes, she underwent through a lot of changes. But she loved the fact that Lu Han loves her for who she was before. 

 

"I'm on the verge of kicking you on the face, but I would love to stay with you forever. Without a brusied face."

 

***

 

Their marriage was not a perfect one, but neither was it a bad one. They had arguments, but their love for each other stayed strong as each day passes by. Love was not enough for them to stay together for long, but of course, they have to have trust on each other. Mimi was glad that she finally met her mother, who has always been on her side. 

 

Yoona continued with her work, while Lu Han is busy running his own restaurant. They never lost time for each other, neither for their daughter. They always have reserved days for them to spend with each other, either going out, or just staying at their house.

 

Their marriage is just a first step on their long journey. Their second meeting did not only serve as the page one of three hundred sixty five that year, but also the first page to their forever.