03

crown prince

 

I was twenty years old and yet I still perfered the garden than any place in the castle. Despite being spooked a couple years before, I enjoyed the quiet scenery. The perfectly manicured bushes, the soft grass and of course the bright blooming flowers all invited me to stay in the peaceful garden. 

  " You look like a real princess surrounded by all this nature. " 

I knew that voice almost immediately. I had heard a voice mocking me years ago, only to turn, to face no one. The dark deep voice that had no face to match with it. I hated not knowing something. I despised secrets and so of course, I turned around quickly to face the owner of the voice. 

  " I do not know you, " I whispered. 

His face was handsome. There were stern lines in his face, as if he had been born with a serious look. Yet, the curves of cheek bones were soft just like his brown eyes. Mischeif was in that man's eyes though, as if he was up to no good. He was dressed in a set of dark robes, the only visible skin came from his veiny hands, neck, and handsome face. 

This man looked like royalty. 

He smirked, " I suppose you will eventually. " 

  " I've met you before. " 

  " Yes, you have. " 

I glared at him, " What do you know about me? " 

  " Everything, " 

He wasn't human. I was young and selfish, but not stupid. I saw it, the flash of pitch black in his eyes. The smirk that he let out that felt too sinister for a human. I knew no prayers to keep him away, whatever monster he was. My kingdom did not run itself by religion, instead it was run by knowledge. My mind told me that he wasn't real, to only believe that my eyes were playing tricks on me. But of course, I was wrong. 

  " Taemin, I'm real. "

  " How do you know my name? " 

 He sighed, " Didn't I already tell you? I know everything about you. Go ahead, test me. " 

  " What do I want most? "

  " To runaway, "

  " Correct, "

  " I know. Besides, Taemin, you can runaway with me. " He leaned down to me, our faces close. " Runaway with me and we can go somewhere where you don't have to hide. " 

I wanted to answer. I wanted to say yes, despite the fact that he wasn't human. I just wanted to stop faking my entire life. However, my mouth couldn't open. I couldn't scream out yes and go with him. I was screaming out in mind, my lips were moving, yet no sound came out. That's when I knew I was dreaming.

  " Taemin, Crown Prince, wake up. "

And so I did.  

 

--

 

I would like to say I was around twenty years old when Jung-Soo said she was in love with me.  In a way I was expecting it -- our relationship was not average. I depended on her for the desire she felt for me and Jung-Soo loved every bit of me. I had always been selfish and uncaring, I didn't even bat an eyelash when she confessed. 

However, nothing had changed. Jung-Soo still stayed longer in my bedroom than it was normal to for a Princess's servant. She washed all my dresses and robes. And above all else, she never complained. That was until I was of age to be confronted by suitors. 

  " What's his name again? " Jung-Soo hissed out while tightening my corset. 

  " Choi Minho, "

  " What's so special about him anyways? "

  " I heard he is a poweful king with a great army. " 

  " Disgusting, you'll be wed to a barbarian by day break. "

I glanced at her and she grinned, " Well, it's completly true. "

  " You're right. " I sighed, "  I'm just more worried about how he will react when he discovers I'm a man. Will he be angry? Happy? Will he declare a war upon my kingdom and kill me in our wedding bed? "

  " I hate to say this, Taemin, but you're a masochist. "

  I shrugged, " Yeah, I'll probably enjoy it when he kills me. "  

 

--

 

The Queen said I was late. She also said I looked like I hated slept in weeks. Both were true. Soo-Jung said I deserved to at least look a little bit happy when I met Choi Minho, which would explain my tardiness. I hadn't slept well in awhile, my dreams were haunted of a monster with dark eyes with empty promises. I probably looked how I felt, like death. 

" Remeber to smile, alright? " The Queen was leading me to the dinning hall. While walking she was freting, like usual, with my hair and robes, while hissing out all the advice she could get out. 

" Alright, " 

" Not your fake smile okay, the dazzling one. "

" Sure, " 

" Please, Taemin. Please, charm him. Make him want to marry you. He's a powerful man, with amazing connections and I've even heard that he has a few male concubines. He might even be fine with you! "

" Wonderful, maybe I won't be stabbed to death on my wedding bed. " 

" Don't add your usual comments either. They're far too masculine. "

" Of course, I am male. "

" Not during this dinner. You're the beautiful pure virigin Princess Lee Taeyeon. "

I snorted, "Nothing about me is pure or -like. " 

We were of ear-shot of the dinning hall when she spoke in a higher octive, " Have fun, Princess. " 

" I don't think that's possible. " 

 

--

 

I remembered from all my lessons to keep my eyes down. I wouldn't look up till were we both sittng and he introduced himself. The Queen said it was proper manners, I however thought it was meaningless and made me feel like I was an animal. I did as was expected of me, despite the fact that no one was in the dinning room besides Choi Minho and I. 

He helped me sit down, I had only stolen a glimpse of his arms. My eyes were still down when he was seated, focused on the tasteless dish before us. He cleared his throat, probably intended for me to look up. So, I did and I gasped. 

  " Hello, Taemin. "

The creature from my dreams was staring back at me. The only difference was that his hair was pushed back and his robes were of magnificent color despite the once shades of black. He grinned at me, flashing a beautiful smile. 

  " N-No, you're not real. " 

  " I'm Choi Minho, King of the Shadow Realm. " 

 

--

 

lol the only reason why i don't name the story's chapters is bc im bad with anything title related.  um wow.  thanks for reading and stuff. this chapter is p big. oh and if my first person tense is a little off, it's bc this is the first time ive written a story in first person. enjoy!

[beautysleep]