It's the end

Broken Promise

People say your life flashes before your eyes just before the moment of death. Minseok had never believed in those kind of things but now, as life was slowly drifting away from him, as it was slowly becoming harder for him to breathe, he realized it was true. He was indeed recalling every precious memory he had experienced over his life. His mother hugging him before telling him how much she was proud of him after his first day at kindergarten. His dog, always ready to play with him, wagging his tail every time Minseok called his name. His friends, always laughing and understanding. His first and only love; Luhan. A tear fell down his cheek. His beautiful Luhan. He could see him smiling at him, or pouting when he wanted something from him. He remembered when he had finally gathered the courage to ask him out. It was a chilly day but Minseok had insisted they have a picnic. Luhan was reluctant at first but when he had seen the pleading look on his friend's face, he couldn't say no. Minseok had done his best; he had lay a warm blanket on the grass and added another one in case they were cold. He had even cooked, and that's what had amazed Luhan the most because Minseok never cooked. Of course the Korean male had been extremely nervous and his friend had sensed it. When he had asked him what was the matter, the round-faced male had gently taken his crush's hands in his own and, looking in his eyes, had told him he loved him. He still vividly remembered his friend's reaction. He had hugged him tightly, crying – which he would deny later – and told him he loved him too. Minseok cherished this memory. He had thought about it many times over the last few months when his heart was aching and the only thing he wanted to do was take the next flight to China to see his lover – he would even have walked there if he had had to. He recalled their first kiss. Their first fight – and when they made up only a few minutes later. Their first time. He remembered every little memory of Luhan he had.

 

Now, lying on the ground in his flat, Minseok knew his end was near. He could feel it. It was becoming hard for him just to think. Still, he did his best to think about the love of his life. He was sad and angry. He had promised the doe eyed male he would come back to China. Come back to him. But now he knew his promise would be broken. Why did I have to put the coffee table here?, the Korean male wondered. If he had left it at its original place near the TV instead of moving it against the wall to have more room for his boxes, this wouldn't have happened. But he had moved it. And when he had slipped from the chair he was standing on to clean the lamp, he had hit his head on the corner of the coffee table. He had instantly known he wouldn't last the night. He couldn't cry for help because his voice was too weak, let alone stand up. Soon his breathing had become labored and he had sensed he was slowly drifting away. The last thing that kept him conscious was the thought of his Chinese lover. He missed him so much. It had been a few months since he had left China but he was ready to go back. Actually, he had bought his plane ticket the day before and was packing his things for his flight the next week. He wanted to surprise his lover. He knew the latter would instantly know when he would be in China. His heart would tell him. Even now, with a great distance between them, Minseok could feel his lover's heart beating in sync with his own. It was strange how his heart was actually beating weirdly; as his body and his mind were both gradually getting numb, his heart kept beating regularly. But it won't save me, Minseok thought just before finally losing consciousness.

 

 

One of his friend found him four days later, as he had come to his flat to check on him because he found it strange that he had had no news from Minseok for more than two days – it had never happened before. Help arrived 30 minutes later, around midnight. Minseok was already dead... Or most of his body was. “Wait!” one of the two rescuers present exclaimed incredulously, “There's something strange...” He turned to the man who had called them. “When did you say you last heard from him, Mister?” he asked.

“On Monday, around 11 am, I'd say. I sometimes have no news from him for a couple of days so it didn't worry me. But, we had agreed to have lunch together today and he never came. When I called him, he didn't answer.”

“Okay,” the same rescuer answered. Then, to his colleague, “He's not breathing but his heart is still beating...”

“What? Are you sure?” the latter asked incredulously.

“I am. Come take a look.” The man came and knelt beside his colleague, placed the stethoscope on the body's chest and listened. “Oh My... You're right. But he could have died approximately four days ago... His heart should have stopped some time ago...”

“I know... But his friend said he only called him this afternoon so he could be dead for a few hours. Let's take him to the nearest hospital quickly so they can check...”

So they brought Minseok's body to the hospital. After many tests, it turned out he was indeed dead. He had been for over 72 hours. Yet, his heart kept beating. “Such a strange case,” one of the doctors who had examined the man's body observed.

“That's true,” one of his colleagues agreed. “If I wasn't an atheist, I'd say God is trying to keep him alive. Or at least his heart.”

“Something is trying to save his heart,” the doctor whispered before leaving the room. “I wonder why...”

 

 

At the same moment, in China

 

Luhan stood in the kitchen, his back against the counter, a glass of water in his right hand. His left hand was resting against his chest, feeling his heart beating painfully. “Hey, are you alright?” his roommate Yixing asked him, entering the kitchen for his usual late night snack.

“Yeah...” the doe eyed male answered. “It's just my heart...”

“Is it...?” the other male asked anxiously.

“No, no. It's not like that. He's not back. But it's strange... I feel like...”

When he stopped, Yixing asked, “Like?”, urging him to voice out his thoughts.

“It's stupid... But I feel like my heart is beating harder... Like it is also making his heart beat...” He blushed and quickly added. “I'm crazy, aren't I?”

“Of course you're not!” his roommate assured him. “Maybe Minseok's sick and your heart felt it and tries to connect with his own...” he suggested.

Luhan thought about his friend's words. “Maybe he is...” he muttered. “I'm gonna text him,” he then added, emptying his glass and putting it in the sink before leaving the kitchen. As fate would have it, his text would never be answered.

 

 

Later that same night, back in Seoul

 

The doctor checked his paper one last time before reaching for his phone and dialing the number he had written down. He took a look across his desk, listening to the dialing tone. The clock showed 3 am. A groggy voice answered his call. “Hello... I'm sorry to call at this ungodly hour... May I talk to Mr Park Chanyeol?” the doctor asked in his most courteous voice. He waited for the person to answer then exclaimed, “Great! Doctor Kim talking. I have good news for you Mr Park.” He paused, then added, “We've got a heart for you.”

 

A/N: so this is it. Now you know what happened to Minseok. Hope you understand the story better now. =)