Chapter Two

Of Prince and Princesses

Nam Hyun Ki was the best person ever. He was the best at academics and the best at sports. He was also my brother. My best friend. My other half. Not romantically, mind you. 

He was born about eight minutes before me and always thought it was so hilarious to tease me about being the last one out of Mother's stomach. I, however, thought it was pointless because ever time he mentioned it, I'd ignore him. Hyun Ki would then beg me to play him afterward anyway. 

I had never ever once called him 'Oppa' though, despite his constant nagging. He had even cried once because I wouldn't call him 'Oppa'. But, see, I don't think a person who cried because I wouldn't call him 'Oppa', deserves being called 'Oppa'. So I chose 'Pabo' instead. It suited him just fine.  

But now, as I think back to that day, I think he deserved being called 'Oppa' more than anything.

Two and a Half Years Ago

"Hye Jung- ah," cried Hyun Ki. "Don't you think I deserve being called 'Oppa' at least once?" His constant nagging was seriously the most annoying thing about him. I mean, it's just a word. 

I rolled my eyes and turned back to look out the window. "No. You deserve to be a pabo, Pabo." Tuning out whenever he was nagging was the best thing to do. My parents don't even think it's rude. (Because they do it too!)

About ten minutes later I heard his mellow voice finally say the words I had wished he would say ten minutes ago. 

"Alright. I'm done talking. Keep ignoring me." Even though I didn't see him, I could tell that he was sticking his at me. Seriously, I can't believe that he's sixteen. Maybe something went wrong with his brain because he keeps nagging. 

His shoes made little noise as he walked out of the drawing room. Our favorite hang out spot. There were portraits of our family members on the walls and a grand piano sitting at one corner, along with our violins that hung on the walls. A lone silver flute was also one of the instruments amongst the corner of instruments. 

Hyun Ki was too lazy to learn how to play the flute, which is why there was only one flute. It "takes up too much of my sports time", he had told us. 

In the center of the room was a loveseat and a coffee table filled with mugs and music sheets. The flat screen and any other modern stuff, besides the loveseat and the coffee table, we had both decided, should never be in the drawing room. We wanted it to look like the palace's drawing rooms in England. Anything else in the palace could be as modern as our parents wanted it to be.

It was nice, finally having the room so quiet. But I soon grew bored of it so I decided to go and find Hyun Ki. It;s my turn to nag now.

When I stepped out in to the hallway, I found everyone running around in panic. Confused, I asked the closest maid to me.

"The prince! He's hurt! Something went wrong with the horse!" She then scurried away, almost tripping over her the leg of the table in the hallway. 

My brother?!

I raced through the hallway, pushing away the maids bustling around, and ran all the way to the racing grounds. I saw a bunch of people huddled around a figure on the ground. 

"Hyun KI!" I screamed. The group made way for me when I got there. He was just lying there, in a pool of his own blood. His eyes were open and it looked like he was breathing. "Hyun Ki..." I said in a sad voice, thick with emotion. My eyes started to get misty and soon all he looked like was a giant blob. 

I knelt down beside him and took his head and placed it on my lap, not caring that the blood was getting on my jeans. Hesitantly, I brushed his chestnut hair out of his face. One of the blobs slid down my face and landed on his. 

He looked right back at me, sharing a conversation which twins were known to have.

His eyebrows knit together. Are you okay?  

I frowned. Am okay? Are you insane?! Look at you! 

His lips twitched slightly. It's okay. 

---

The hospital bed was hideous. And the room was even worst. Puke green wallpaper with tan brown floor boards. The bed was a bright yellow with a lighter shade of pink. Worst looking place in the kingdom. Whoever decorated this place needs to be fired and never take a job that involved any decor. 

The way the room looked made it worst knowing that my brother died in that very ugly room. A room that wasn't out drawing room. A place that was beautiful.

Was it because I wasn't a good enough sister to him? Was it because we didn't treat him right? What was it? Why-oh-why did he have to be taken away from us? It should have been me instead. I was the one that ignored  him and the reason he walked out of the drawing room in the first place. Then he wouldn't have lost control of the horse because he was frustrated and flipped off. Then he wouldn't have landed on a rock and hit the back of his head right smack in the center of the rock. And maybe he wouldn't have dislocated hid spine from the fall.

He had  slipped into a coma after the doctors were done with him. But a few months later, he still wouldn't wake up. That was when we gave up all hope. They'd decided to pull the plug.

That day, I sat by his side the whole time, holding his hands. His skin had always been an tannish tint, from all that playing in the sun, but they became as white as paper over the months. Like a ghost. 

"Oppa." I said softly, " Don't go.." my heart clenched as a each minute passed by. I had only three minutes left before they pulled the plug. Three minutes to say good bye. Ha! Who the heck can say good bye in three minutes?  How can a person have only three freakin' minutes to say good bye to the one person who has always been there in your life? 

"Come on Hyun Ki. I called you Oppa, you have to wake up, Oppa. Oppa, wake UP!" I screamed in frustration and agony. "You can't leave me like this! You're my OPPA and I love you!" saying Oppa now actually made me regret not saying them before because even though he acts younger than me, he really is my Oppa. "Come on! GET UP!" The sobs rose up and racked my body so hard that the chair I was sitting on was shaking. 

Then the doctors came in. And they pulled the plug. Just like that, as simple as if they were talking. They just pulled it off. 

Hyun Ki took a long deep breath, his chest rising up, and fell back down. And I knew it was over. My brother. My best friend. My other half. Was gone. 

"But I didn't even get to say good bye.."

Don't go...