Four

Five Steps Closer

“She’s not here.”

With one sentence, all attention instantly fell on Minseok.

Minho and Kibum were originally staring blankly into space, both completely absorbed in their own thoughts, as Minseok took the initiative to check if their mother was in her room. Through the wait, which only took a minute or two but felt like an eternity to Minho and Kibum, their hands were locked tightly together even though the both of them were individually caught in their own thoughts. When they finally heard a voice above the sound of their own heartbeats, Minho and Kibum instantly turned to look at Minseok with wide eyes.

“She’s not at home.” Minseok repeated more clearly, “Umma probably came back for a while and left again…”

Picking up from Minseok’s words, Minho swallowed hard and asked, “Hyung, do you think she…”

“I don’t know, Minho.” Minseok replied without needing to hear the rest of Minho’s question, shaking his head and pacing about the living room, “I really hope not because it’s really not the way for her to find out. But if I decided to check on you in your room, she could too.”

Closing his eyes, Minho fell back into the sofa, feeling like he lost all energy in that moment in time, and pressed the back of his arm against his eyes, “This is not how it was supposed to be.”

It was also in that moment in time that Kibum finally released Minho’s hand and suddenly stood up. In the next second, he had left the living room.

Feeling the loss of Kibum’s warmth beside him, Minho’s arm fell to his side as he looked towards the now empty space beside him before he looked helplessly at his brother.

“Go.” Minseok simply said before he added, hoping to give his brother the advice he knew but needed to hear out loud, “It’s too late for regrets, Minho yah, there’s nothing to be sorry about… just... talk things out with him alright?”

“I know, hyung.” Minho forced a smile on his face, thankful that he had his elder brother with him, “Thanks.”

Minseok nodded and pushed Minho forward, “Don’t worry about umma too. Just check on Kibum first.”

“Okay.” Minho breathed out, giving his brother a nod.

With that, he finally walked towards his room.

 

Kibum was sitting on the edge of Minho’s messy bed when Minho entered the room. Their eyes had instantly met, both understanding how much they wanted to say to each other but neither of them knew where to start. Minho closed the door behind him and slowly walked to sit beside Kibum.

When Kibum turned to face Minho, a small smile appeared on Minho’s face as he asked, “Are you going to kill me if I reached out to hug you right now?”

Instead of answering, Kibum simply wrapped his arms around Minho’s waist and leaned his entire weight onto his boyfriend, causing them both to fall back onto the bed.

Minho let out a chuckle as he circled his arms around Kibum tightly and adjusted them into a comfortable position, “I didn’t mean it literally when I promised you could always lean on me.”

“Shut up.” Kibum finally broke his silence as he pinched Minho’s waist, “Now’s not the time to joke.”

And just like that, Minho turned serious, “Bum, tell me what you’re thinking.”

“Running away.” Kibum immediately replied, speaking against Minho’s chest.

Surprised, Minho looked down at Kibum but could only see the top of his boyfriend’s head. Yet, he didn’t have to do anything next because Kibum knew Minho wanted to see his face so he looked up and then continued to speak.

“But that was before.” Kibum clarified and let out a sigh, “Then you came into the room and I realised how ridiculous it was for me to think about running away when I already chose to take the risk long ago...”

Because the truth was, when Kibum saw the person who he had loved for five years and counting (actually more, considering the period of time before they even got together) walking through that door, when Kibum saw Minho walking towards him, everything just naturally fell into place.

“Kibum… it’s okay that you’re scared or worried, I am too.” Minho admitted out loud even though he knew it was obvious, “I don’t blame you for thinking of running away. We knew it wasn’t going to be easy… but if you’re still not ready, then we can-”

“No.” Kibum shook his head, interrupting Minho straightaway because he hated that his thoughtful boyfriend was trying to find an easy way out for him, “Let’s tell your mother.”

Minho paused for a while, using the time to take in Kibum’s words and sort out his own thoughts, before he asked, “Even though there’s still a possibility that she didn’t find out? Because, Kibum, it’s not that I’m being hopeful or anything but you know, we might just be overthinking things…”

Kibum nodded firmly as he pushed himself off Minho and sat upright in bed, hands against Minho’s chest.

“I hated how your brother had to find out about us.” Kibum said as he watched Minho get up as well, “I’m hoping your mum still doesn’t know anything… but whether or not she knows, we should tell her. It’s about time we should.”

Minho smiled lovingly at his boyfriend, “You’re awesome, bummie.”

“For loving you?” Kibum asked, not expecting a reply as he went on to answer himself, “Damn right I am.”

Minho laughed, “So… you’re alright?”

“Yeah...” Kibum answered in all seriousness, “I’m never worried about me, Minho, I’m just worried about you. It’s your family we’re facing today… I told you before, I don’t want to be the reason why you-”

Minho silenced Kibum with a kiss.

“And I told you before that you won’t.” Minho leaned his forehead against Kibum’s, “Trust me… trust my family.”

Kibum hesitantly nodded with a sigh as he nudged Minho away.

“Do you regret coming here?” The words came out of Minho’s mouth before he could stop himself.

Upon realising he had asked the question, Minho bit his bottom lip nervously and sneaked looks at Kibum.

Kibum took in a deep breath, releasing it, before he answered, “No, Minho, there’s a reason why I walked to your car with my own feet... Do I have to spell it out for you to understand that I’m happy to be here? At your house? Where you grew up?”

A smile broke onto Minho’s face as he couldn’t resist planting a loud kiss on Kibum’s cheek.

Kibum rolled his eyes, pushing Minho away, “I just thought, besides seeing your house, we could go out too and-”

“Let’s go.” Minho cut his boyfriend off as he took his hand and pulled Kibum up from the bed, “What do you want to do? Shop? Eat? Catch a movie?”

“Minho, are you forgetting something?” Kibum questioned, “We have to-”

“Umma’s not back yet anyway.” Minho shrugged, “We could go out and come back by dinner… and then we can tell her.”

“That’s not a good idea…”

“Then you rather wait, waste precious time doing nothing until she comes back?”

Kibum hesitated and Minho took that moment to make the decision for the both of them.

“Come on, let’s change. We’ll go out and come back before dinner.” Minho decided as he led Kibum to stand in front of the bag he brought along with him to Minho’s house, “Now would you rather I pick your outfit for you or you-”

“I may love you, baby, but I’ll never, ever, trust you to dress me, remember that.” Kibum instantly said as he pushed Minho aside, squatted down and began choosing his outfit of the day.

It was insulting and definitely enough to hurt Minho’s pride but instead, Minho’s only response was to laugh out loud as he walked towards his wardrobe to dress himself.

It was definitely going to be no easy task facing his mother later at night so Minho hoped that going out would do them some good.

▷▷

Minho was a few hundred dollars poorer and Kibum a hundred percent satisfied when they finally settled down at a coffee place after walking through a street of shops. That was not to say Minho didn’t get anything out of their shopping date because well, Kibum also got him a birthday present that he owed him from December so Minho wasn’t the only one whose wallet had been damaged in just a few hours. Having said that, retail therapy certainly worked since they truly enjoyed their time out together, both feeling rather light hearted as they relaxed in a quiet corner of the café. On the table between them was a slice of New York cheesecake as well as a cup of Kibum’s favourite Americano and a Flat White for Minho. It had been long since they went on a date like this, and Minho and Kibum not only appreciated having an opportunity like this but also their privacy respected. It just felt great not being recognised by the public (or maybe the public was just decent enough not to approach and disturb their private time) and feeling like any normal person their age.

“Hey Minho?” Kibum called, after swallowing a bite of his cheesecake, fork resting against his bottom lip.

Slouched on the cushioned chair across Kibum, Minho’s smile was hidden by his scarf but the crinkle in his eyes gave it away, “Yeah?”

“I’m glad you dragged me out.”

“I’m glad I did too.”

Kibum laughed as he eyed the shopping bags at his feet, “Even though I made you pay for my clothes?”

Minho shrugged, “It’s about time someone else besides Onew and Jonghyun hyung paid.”

“Oh please, it’s only right that they did. That’s what a hyung should do.” Kibum replied, waving his fork around, “You, on the other hand…”

Kibum shook his head, much to Minho’s surprise.

“Why?” Minho raised his eyebrow in amusement, “Isn’t that what a boyfriend should do too?”

“Nah, I rather you say no and save the money for our future.” Kibum casually answered before he added as an afterthought, “Though I’m not complaining that you’re spoiling me like this… It’s not because you’re feeling sorry or guilty or something stupid, are you?”

As that thought surfaced in his mind, Kibum narrowed his eyes dangerously at his boyfriend.

“Sorry? No. Guilty? Definitely not. But something stupid… maybe.” Minho smirked and was about to continue when Kibum swiftly stuffed a generous amount of cheesecake into his mouth just as Minho’s lips parted.

“I don’t even want to hear it.” Kibum said as he pulled the fork out of Minho’s mouth, “Please just spare me the goose bumps and eat the cake.”

Minho smiled and did what he was told while Kibum sighed defeatedly as he helped himself to another bite.

It was silent for a while until Minho abruptly moved in his seat, shifting his weight on one side and reaching his hand to the back of his jeans.

Kibum looked questioningly at Minho.

“My phone.” Minho replied as he pulled his vibrating phone out of his pocket, “Let me just check…”

Kibum nodded distractedly and went back to drinking his Americano. Upon looking back up at his quiet boyfriend, he found Minho with a frown on his face, his eyes fixed on his phone.

“What?” Kibum leaned forward and tried to get Minho’s attention, “What is it, Minho?”

Minho looked up from his phone, turning it towards Kibum, and said, “It’s hyung… he sent a message.”

Kibum instantly tensed up, unable to move his eyes away from Minho, “What did he say?”

“Umma’s back home…”

“And?”

“He wants us to get back as soon as possible.”

 

Author's Note: hmm, it feels like nothing much happened in this chapter but it's already over 1900 words so i'll have to cut this. and hopefully finish the story in the next chapter! ^^ besides that, dear readers, i probably don't say this enough but just want you to know that i never take your views, subscriptions and comments for granted... so thank you very much! i hope you've been enjoying this up till now! have a great week ahead!