Mint chocolate chip ice-cream

Soosica drabbles

This story was inspired by this picture Jessica posted on her weibo. Enjoy♥

 

Jessica skipped happily down the street, humming a cheerful tune to herself. It was a sweltering summer’s day and usually she would be making a dash for the air conditioner but today she was simply looking forward to spending her hard earned pocket money on a tub of ice-cream at her favourite ice-cream shop. And it was not any tub of ice-cream she wanted, it was the mint chocolate chip one and that was the only one she was getting. She would fight for it if she had to.  

Little did she know that walking down the opposite end of the street was a certain shikshin whose favourite ice-cream also happened to be mint chocolate chip and was just as willing to put up a fight for a tub.

Sooyoung pushed open the door of the ice-cream shop and was welcomed by a gush of cold air, a welcome respite from the burning sun. She could just smell the dozens of flavours of ice-creams from the entrance. She inhaled again, picking up the fragrance of honey and macadamia, vanilla, coffee and cream…

“Hello,” greeted an assistant, “What flavour of ice-cream would you like?”

Sooyoung grinned and opened to answer.

At that very moment, Jessica arrived at the store and she looked around for the location of the mint chocolate chip ice-cream.

“Mint chocolate chip ice-cream.” beamed Sooyoung.

The store assistant nodded and gestured to a nearby freezer, “It’s right there, third row from the top.”

Sooyoung grinned her thanks and dashed over to the freezer.

Jessica was trying to recall where the mint chocolate chip ice-cream was. Then it clicked. She hurried towards the freezer she knew it would be in.

Reaching out for the handle, she only ended up getting hit in the face by something cold and hard.

Rubbing her temples, she glared at the door which had dared to hit her in the face.

Sooyoung smiled widely at the tub of ice-cream and grabbing it, skipped her way to the counter.

Jessica gave a smile at the pretty girl who passed her holding a tub of mint chocolate chip ice-cream, completely forgetting about the hit in the face she had just received. When she saw what flavour the girl had gotten, her eyebrows rose slightly. She likes that flavour too?

She opened the freezer and looked for the mint chocolate chip ice-cream but she couldn’t find it. Her forehead furrowed in her concentration. That’s strange, I’m pretty sure it was here last time I checked and that girl just got a tub from here didn’t she?

Calling the store assistant over, she questioned, “Do you know if this is where the mint chocolate chip ice-cream is kept?”

The store assistant nodded, “This is the place.”

Jessica tilted her head up in confusion, “Then why are there no tubs of that ice-cream?”

“Huh?” responded the store assistant before looking more closely, “Oh, that must mean we’re out of stock. Someone must have taken the last tub.”

Jessica frowned, “When will it be in stock then?”

The store assistant shrugged, “It’s hard to say, it could take a few days to a few weeks, it all depends on our supplier.”

Jessica’s eyes widened to the size of saucers as everything began to click together.

“Wait!” she screeched, making a run for the girl she had seen before carrying the mint chocolate chip ice-cream.

Sooyoung jumped at the loud screech and turned her head to see the angelic-looking girl storming towards her. Did I do something wrong?

“You!” Jessica jabbed a finger into Sooyoung’s chest, “You took the last tub of mint chocolate chip ice-cream.”

Sooyoung scratched the back of her neck and gave a nervous chuckle, “Oh really? Did I? Um… well, I guess I did.”

Jessica fumed, “How dare you!”

Sooyoung was confused, “But I got there first and I managed to get the last tub. It’s only fair isn’t it?”

Jessica’s eyebrows rose to the sky, “Fair? Fair? It’s not fair!”

She crossed her arms before holding out a hand and demanded, “Give that tub to me.”

Sooyoung shook her head and taking the tub in both hands, hugged it towards her chest, “No, it’s mine. I got it first so why should I give it to you? That is what’s called not fair.”

Jessica stomped her foot on the ground, “But I’ve saved up all my pocket money for weeks to get this.”

Sooyoung returned Jessica’s challenging gaze, “Well, so have I.”

Jessica turned her ice glare at the girl in front of her, “Well, I would have gotten it first if our school teacher didn’t let us out so late.”

She made a grab for the tub but couldn’t reach and for once, she wished she was much taller.

Sooyoung reacted quickly and held the tub above her head, “Well maybe if you ran here, you would have gotten it first.”

Jessica looked at her in indignation, “Run? Run? Do you think I would run here in this weather, in this heat?”

Sooyoung nodded her head furiously, “Yes, if you really wanted it then you would have ran.”

Jessica took a menacing step forward but Sooyoung refused to step back, “Have you ever heard? Jessica Jung never runs. That’s my motto. Never run no matter how late you are.”

Sooyoung stuck a tongue out cheekily, “That’s a silly motto. You’re never going to get anything first if you have a motto like that.”

Jessica let out a shriek, “Yah! I’m not silly.”

Sooyoung sighed, “I never said you were silly, I just said your motto was.”

Jessica gave her a death glare, “Isn’t that the same thing?”

Sooyoung vigorously shook her head, “Look, I don’t want to argue with you. At this rate, my ice-cream is going to melt. How about we just go home, me with my mint chocolate chip ice-cream and you with a different flavour?”

Jessica shot another death glare in her direction, “Who said it was your ice-cream? And I only like mint chocolate chip ice-cream. It’s my ice-cream!”

Sooyoung protested, “But…”

The rest of her reply was cut off when Jessica leaped at her and began attacking her. Sooyoung dropped the tub of ice-cream as if it was a burning brick at the check-out and began defending herself.

“Hey!” she yelled, “What do you think you’re doing?”

Jessica replied fiercely, “Getting my ice-cream.”

The store assistants and other customers watched the scene with consternation upon their brows although no-one dared to step in.

The two began to tickle each other and they tossed insults to one another, the tub of ice-cream completely forgotten. What they also forgot were the tiny sparks they felt when they first saw each other.

Sooyoung was gaining the upper hand as she continued tickling Jessica, forcing her to walk backwards. Unfortunately, she missed a step and fell down to the ground, wincing in pain as her back made contact with the ground. Sooyoung was so focused on tickling her that she didn’t notice Jessica had fallen and tripped on Jessica’s body, landing on top of her.

Suddenly a quiet stillness came over the two, like the first blanket of snow on a winter’s day. Neither of them made any move to get up, just simply staring at each other’s eyes, feeling their hearts thumping wildly. Once more, they felt the tiny sparks tingling within every inch of their body. Without thinking, Sooyoung leaned down and captured Jessica’s lips with her own and to her own surprise, Jessica responded.

As all the surrounding people stared at them shell-shocked at the turn in events, Sooyoung drew back from the kiss, and got up, holding a hand to Jessica who willingly took it.

Sooyoung gave Jessica a smile which she returned, “How about we split the pay for the mint chocolate chip ice-cream tub and you can come over to my place and we’ll share it?”

Jessica squeezed Sooyoung’s hand, “I’d love that.”

The two of them made their purchase and walked out the door, chatting and laughing with their hands entwined, putting behind the childish fight that had just happened minutes before.