vii

Broken Souls
chapterseven
A Black out AND A MISSING INTRUDER

Namjoon raised an eyebrow as he listened to what the elder was saying. His eyebrows were knitted together and there was a certain darkness casted across his face. He was there, standing alone in the middle of the room, paying no heed to the stack of papers he got from Mark Tuan. The accident was bad enough for both the facility and experiments. Adding on breachers to the list of potential problems would not help in the least bit. A soft sigh escaped his lips, indicating that he was, in fact, tired.

"I'll go check it out from here. Tell Taehyung to keep those people busy." The line was cut short and his feet soon took him to the main control panel. It was part of the job description –to monitor every activity and point out errors and anomalies. This wasn't supposed to happen. Had he paid more attention he would've been able to point out the oddities and prevent the hacking. Hi fingers flew over the keyboard, eyes trained on the screen. The first thing he'll need to do is find out who that person is. People, perhaps.

Green screen and flying numbers. He was getting closer to the source, the problem. A small smirk made its way onto his face, as he typed in a few other commands. Taehyung was doing a good job of keeping them busy. So far, Namjoon had no trouble accessing the paths available, leading him to doubt the actual presence of the intruders. For all he knows, they might've run away after the pods opened up. It was then when he spotted something, one out of place and not supposed to be there.

The black out soon followed.

⁞⁝•ֱ̀␣̍•́⁝⁞

Mingyu's eyes snapped open and the first thing he saw was nothing. He couldn't feel his hands nor his feet; it was as if they were disconnected from his body. Eyes once again trying to adjust to the dark, he found out that he was drfiting alone in a dark void. The tranquil of being alone was slowly getting to him, hands clammy and neck starting to itch. His nose was clogged, preventing him from n=breathing normally. Alas, he oculdn't do anything about it. Not when his hands are pressed down against his sides.

Who knows how long it took, but somehow, he started to see a color. Pink. Or maybe it was red. He didn't recall.

A warm substance started dripping from his forehead and into his eye. He winced, jerking forward to escape from the semi opened pod. The first thing he did in reflex (or habit) was to look around and scan the perimeter. The simulations weren't supposed to be like this was it? His gaze met Jungkook's eyes, leading him to back away at the fair skinned's aghast face.

"What's worng?" he asked, the blood still blocking his right vision. Jungkook shook his head but his expression remained the same. Without bothering to answer the question, he stepped down and walked past him. Mingyu whipped his head back to find most of his friends out of the pod but one. Jungkook turned to cast a glare at the group, exhaling a deep sigh before opening his mouth. "Go. Go now before I send you back to those pods." Everyone obeyed him and exited the room right away, knowing that staying would cause them nothing but more trouble and harm.

Mingyu stayed back a bit later than the rest, Soonyoung tugging at his shirt, prompting him to leave. Unmoved, he remained his stance and approahed Jungkook. He raised an eyebrow and folded his arms. "Who's inside?" All he got in return was silence. The boy was fiddling with something -cables. "I said, who's inside?" More than emphaty it was pity. He pitied whoever it was inside, but that doesn't mean he's not glas it wasn't him.

"Shin Dongjin. The youngest one." His foice was flat at that, obvously showing how much he could care less about Mingyu's stupid queries. Trying to ge the pod to open up was trouble enough. With Mingyu there it would add even more problems, the first being firsthand embarassment for not being able to take care of such a fault. He sighed. "Just.... go okay? This little guy is enough trouble for now."

Right at that moment, the metallic contraption opened up, startling both the guard and the subject. Dongjin staggered out of the tube, legs wobbling before finally falling facefirst. The two young men shared a glance before lifting the young boy up and carrying him outside the dungeon. Placing him on one of the sofas, Jungkook sent a message for Taehyung to get the boy something to drink.

Jungkook frowned. "Why did you stay back?"

"Huh?"

"Why didn't you run away like the others did?"

Mingyu shook his head. Leaning back on the chair, he rested his head against the wall, exhaling a deep breath. "I towuld've been really cowardly of me to run away." Even then, he regretted not tearing through the van's door when they were first ushered away. If only he had the will. If only he had the strength. If only he had the courage to fight back that day -this would not have happened. The hyena-like guy would probably still be alive. As too Dongjin; he would be safer.

A static buzz came from Jungkook's transmitter. Hands reaching for it, he answered right away. "Report."

What was once a neutral expression turned into puzzlement and anxiety in a second. Even from a pretty far distance, Mingyu could see the crinkles on his face and a bead of sweat rolling down the sides of his head. Before Mingyu could say anything, Jungkook got up and spun on his heels. He clicked his tongue. "Where are you going?" Rather than answering the question, he told him to stay put and take care of Dongjin. Out of his sleeve jumped a small dagger.

"Use that for protection."

He reverted his gaze.

Fumbling with the dagger, he saw a piece of tape stuck into one of the sides.

If you see Jimin, run.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTESIt's been ages since I've updated (5 months fly by fast god). So yes, sorry for keeping you on your toes for the latest progress. Not much death coming up, soon, at least. I hope I can update frequently before December comes around.

P. S. I'll give you a hug if you can guess what's up with Jimin o u o