I

토끼 사랑 (Tokki Sarang)

He liked observing people while sitting in the train. There were the youngsters with their big headphones, business men in their fashionable suits, mothers with children. There were the old people who seemed almost dead. Simple people who let themselves be carried away by the train in London’s underground.

Although it was a sunny day in autumn, the people in the train appeared grey and old. He read the headlines of a newspaper which a man was holding up high as if he was trying to hide his face on purpose. On days like these, he concentrated really hard to discover things that gave the day an object.

He looked along the ground when a little knitted bunny caught his attention. It hung on a bag which belonged to a girl who was sitting across from him, a bit further away. She was focused on her MP3-Player while holding her suitcase, so it would not fall. The bag with the bunny pendant was right next to it. He felt like staring at her but could not keep his eyes off her pretty face, her blonde hair, her small hands. She was looking out of the window and must have seen something funny, because she had to laugh. She tried to hide it by holding a hand in front of . “Don’t hide it”, he thought. Her smile was beautiful. While he was losing himself a little, she looked up directly at him. He recognized her starry blue eyes but immediately looked down and blushed. When he looked back up, she was focused on her music again.

He forced himself to look into the opposite direction and managed to pass 3 stations without looking at her. He did not want to appear like a stalker. Now that many people had left the train at Heathrow Airport, he felt more comfortable. But when he was searching for the girl, she was already gone. “Damn it!”, he thought to himself. “Why do I let it bother me so much? She was a random girl…was she?”

In that moment he saw something under the seat where the girl had sat. “But that’s…”, he got up to grab the little thing before someone would sat there. He held the only tangible memory in his hand like a little treasure. The knitted face of the figure smiled at him. “Cute bunny.”, he whispered.

_______________________________________

“Oh god. I didn’t even know how late it is. Oh god. Please let me catch my plane.” She tried her best to run upstairs to the right gate but her big suitcase in the one and her bag in the other hand were of no help when it came to velocity. She ran to the counter where a woman with a big smile was greeting her. “How much time do I have until the plane to Finland takes off?”, she said out of breath. The woman’s smile did not change as she replied: “Sorry, madam, but the last call for that flight was 10 minutes ago.” - “THAT MEANS WHAT?” – “I’m sorry, but you can’t check in anymore.” - “WHAAAT?” – “I’m sorry, madam.” – “Stop calling me madam, I could be your daughter!” – “I can understand that you’re upset, madam, but I can’t change it. However I can check when there’s another flight to Finland and if there are still tickets available.” She nodded while still breathing heavily. There were no other options, so she waited for the woman to speak again. “There are two more flights today…but…they are sold out.” – “That means…?” – “There is another flight tomorrow at 12 am. There is still one seat available.” – “And how much does it cost?” – “…” – “YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!! Where am I supposed to get that much money from?!” – “I’m sorry, madam, but that’s the disadvantage about last minute flights which are almost booked out.” – “Where am I supposed to stay until I get enough money?” She was rather talking to herself than to the woman who had stopped smiling by now. “I could..” – “NO! There’s nothing you can do for me right now. Thank you. Bye.” She left without waiting for a reply. “What am I supposed to do now...? Just go somewhere. Away from here.”, she thought as she was walking back to the train station. “If this is fate, it probably hates me. Or it has a damn good reason.”

________________________________________

“It must be fate.”, he said to himself. He was still holding the little bunny in his hand and grinned while walking along Westminster Bridge. He looked up at the blue sky and was smiling like a little kid. He had to think of her eyes and her smile. Which made him smile even more…

“If I could only meet her…at least to give back the bunny. Maybe if I wish for it.” He stood there with his eyes closed squeezing the bunny while the crowd just passed him by and did not pay attention to what he was doing. He was about to open his eyes again when he felt something heavy bumping into his leg. “Ahh~” - “Oh god, I am so sorry!”, a woman’s voice said. All he could see was someone with blonde hair trying to get her suitcase under control. Could it be…?

“Don’t worry. I’m okay…” When she looked up, he stood there with his mouth open. He was unable to speak as he was enthralled by what magic just happened. “Y-y-you..” he finally managed to say. “Yeah, me. Do we know each other?”, she smiled. “You…” Her blue eyes were even more beautiful up close. Before he could say a proper sentence, she burst out “Ahhhh, it’s YOU! I saw you on the train, right?” – “Yes, you remember?” She smiled. “Oh, here…you’ve lost it.” He handed her the bunny. “Aww, how did you know it was mine? Are you a stalker?” – “Ah, no. Please don’t think so. I’m not…” She laughed. “No need to feel embarrassed. Thank you.” She took the little bunny and put it in her bag. “I’m Min Sung by the way.” He held out his hand to her. “Salli”, she replied with a smile and shook his hand. "Nice to meet you."