What Happens on New Year's Eve...

Sehun Oneshot: What Happens On New Year's Eve
 
 
Oh Sehun was the quiet kid in the back, who seemed to have an unending interest in the world outside of the classroom. Unlike the rest of his friends, he refused profusely to mingle. Yet here he was, admist the very people he avoided on a daily basis and willingly attending a social event. Sometimes, Sehun questioned his rationality and during that moment, he found his answer. His lack of thought for the outcome of his actions had caused him to leave his family, during New Year's Eve and run to the other side of Seoul, just to create a romantic gesture for the girl who knew nothing of his feelings. Perhaps like the protagonist in those rom-coms, he could try to impress her, Sehun told himself.
 
Then, Sehun flung his wrist close to his eyes straining to see the dark-coloured analog interface amongst the flashing lights, 11:17.
"Excuse me..." Sehun muttered. But his attempts to rid contact with bodies, were futile. Instead he gained interest from various girls and frowned, when they began to follow him.
"Sehun? Hey, isn't that Sehun?" Sehun craned his neck, hearing a baritone voice. Without much effort, he spotted them by the kitchen door. As usual, his friends were together standing as if modelling for a clothing brand, he couldn't help but release a brief scoff. Though judging from the designer brands they doned, it was only right to do so.
 
11:25
 
Like him, his friends exerted little effort into finding him and upon seeing Sehun's discomfort, Suho ran to aid him.
"Excuse me ladies, but we'd like to talk to Sehun."
With sighs and murmurs, they gradually dispersed and Sehun noted this rescue, as well as the repayment his friend deserved.
"Aww, hyung! Couldn't you have waited just a little longer?" Baekhyun whined.
Sehun shot a dark look, earning a cute pout from the boy wearing a generous amount of eyeliner.
"You're so lucky that I'm in a hurry, otherwise-"
"Why are you in a hurry?" D.O asked curiously.
"Yeah, dude, I thought you said you had to stay home for your family's gathering?"
Indeed, he had been forced to attend the Oh family's only annual reunion, but a conversation between Valerie and himself himself had suddenly returned to the boy.
"I snuck out, while taking the trash."
"Damn, the Oh Sehun snuck out? This must be pretty important to you."
"It is, so please tell me," he looked at all of them.
"Where's Val?"
A mischievous grin appeared on Chanyeol's face, "Why? Are you planning on kissing her for New Year's Eve?"
 
11:32.
 
"Honestly, yes." He responded bluntly.
"Wow, our maknae sure has grown up." Suho said as he wiped away an imaginary tear.
Kai, on the other hand, expressed disgust, "Dude! That's gross, she's my cousin!"
Sehun simply shrugged, his eyes still wandering around, trying to find the beautiful brunette.
In disbelief, Kai attempted to stir a similar emotion out of Sehun.
"Just imagine me dating one of your cousins, bro. How would you feel if I suddenly said I wanted to make out with her?"
"First of all, I would be disgusted..." He admitted and smirked inwardly, seeing the pride overcoming the dancer.
"...considering that all my female cousins have just started first school. Secondly, I don't have the intention of making out with Val."
Chanyeol and Baekhyun snickered upon the continuation of Sehun's response, while D.O prodded Sehun with his index finger.
"A while ago, I saw someone that looked like Valerie, I think. She went out through the backdoor."
A thankful smile emerged on Sehun's face, "Thanks, hyung."
Without bothering to say goodbye to his friends, there was no time for that. Using his agility, he managed to squeeze through what appeared to be an ever-growing population of overly excited adolescents.
 
11:46.
 
A petite girl sat on a swing, engulfed in a white sweater, staring at the glowing moon; a stark contrast to the crowds of drunk teenagers that Sehun had encountered. Temporarily, the purpose of his little adventure Sehun stood there, simply watching her for a few minutes, before glancing at his watch.
 
11: 51.
 
Sensing the presence of another person, the girl turned her torso and smiled brightly.
"Oh Sehun, I didn't expect to see you here."
"Trust me this wasn't exactly planned, Val." He muttered, thinking about the punishment he would receive later for running away. That didn't matter right now, he thought. For all he saw, heard and thought about in that moment contained Valerie.
"Hey, you're all out of breathing.  It's funny seeing you like this, if you put this much effort in physical education, then you might have gotten a better grade." She teased while raising an eyebrow and folding her arms, to provide herself warmth.
Sehun moved closer, surprising Valerie for a moment; then her smile returned and Sehun felt himself copy her.
"Do you still want it?"
"Want what?" She asked him. He leaned closer and heard her steady breathing hitch.
"...That kiss."
 
"Do you have any traditions in America, during the 31st?" He asked.
Valerie leaned against the wooden school desk, eyebrows creasing from deep thought.
"Mmmm... There is this tradition, I guess. But I've never done it,"
Out of curiosity, he prodded her to continue, "What is it?" 
"Well, two people kinda... sorta... kiss."
"That's normal though, right? People kiss all the time."
"Yes, but for this tradition, people kiss precisely at midnight."
He raised his eyebrow and rolled his eyes playfully, "You foreigners and your love for skinship."
"Hey! I've never done it, okay?"
"How come?" Once again, he questioned her due to his curiosity.
Scratching her nape, she responded shyly, "I guess no one's ever asked me. Who knows? Maybe my prince will ask me this year."
 
Her eyes widened upon seeing him stand straight again, then bending down and bowing like royalty.
"Your prince is here, m'lady." He uttered, fighting the embarassment that came with the phrase. Without a mirror, Sehun could tell his cheeks were flushed but Valerie said nothing of it. Instead, she leaped upwards and wrapped her arms around his slim waist.
 
"I would be honoured, your highness."
 
11:58.
 
Loosening her grip on his waist, she placed them softly on Sehun's well-built shoulders and watched his hands move to her waist hesitantly. Noticing this, Valerie nodded her head as to signal her approval of the action. 
 
Never leaving her brown orbs, he began to count each passing second.
"10,"
She too, joined him with an encouraging smile.
"9,"
Sehun smiled back, a nervous laugh escaping.
"8,"
She laughed against his skin, upon hearing the countdown inside the house and he relaxed at the melodic chime.
"7,"
Despite the nerves, he began to lean forward.
"6,"
Closer to her brown irises, reflecting the moonlight...
"5,"
Closer to the dimple that appeared when she smiled at him...
"4,"
Closer to her clear porcelain skin...
"3,"
Closer to her lips tinged with the scent of raspberries...
"2,"
One look into her eyes and he placed his lips onto hers; closer to the girl he loved.
 
 
Sehun's heart drummed thumped against his ribcage erratically, whilst his mind trying to memorise the feeling of her lips moving against his, they were soft, he thought to himself.
But most of all, he was relishing this moment. Soon, he felt her begin to pull away and as if withdrawing from an addiction, he searched for them again; finding comfort once he claimed her lips once more. Though it was brief, Sehun felt happy. Beyond happy, infact. 
"So, how was it?" He asked, with a smirk. His heart pounded at her dazed expression, for it was so unbelievable cute that Sehun was tempted to kiss her once more. 
"Fireworks..." She mumbled and then, her eyes widened.
"I-I mean, I f-felt disappointed that there weren't, y-you know, firew-works." 
He chuckled, then pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, "Happy New Year, Val."