Flying Without Wings

Flying Without Wings

 

"Everybody's looking for that something, one thing that makes it all complete.
You'll find it in the strangest places; places you never knew it could be."

-Flying Without Wings, Westlife

 

The rain fell, a drop by a drop, hitting the window pane Changmin was staring out of. The sound, however, did not appear to disturb the maknae in the slightest. Never taking his gaze off the window, he continued looking ahead, gazing at the streets and cars beneath him.

 

"Changmin," Yunho questioned upon seeing Changmin sitting on the window sill, "What exactly are you doing?"

 

Changmin did not reply. Scrunching his eyebrows, he appeared in deep thought as the cars blared beneath him, the silence disrupted by the occasional noises of running engines and sirens soundings. Looking at Changmin's unresponsive state, Yunho frowned slightly but he did not comment otherwise. Reaching over, he was just about to shut the window next to Changmin when Changmin's hands stopped him and held him back.

 

"You'll get the rain in," Yunho chided gently, aware that a silent Changmin was not one to be trifled with, "I just don't want you to get sick."

 

Still, Changmin's grip was unrelenting. Sighing, Yunho pried his hand away from Changmin's and left the window untouched.

 

"Promise me you'll shield yourself from the rain at least," Yunho spoke in a resigned tone, his eyes filled with worry as he carefully placed a blanket over Changmin's shoulders, "Take care, yeah?"

 

Changmin nodded, his eyes still remaining focused on the scene before him. Giving Changmin a last glance, Yunho walked out of the room, closing the door with a soft thud. Soon, the echoing footsteps of Yunho's gradually faded away with the increase in distance and Changmin had the room to himself once again. Clutching the ends of the blanket Yunho had draped over him, he curled himself into a tight ball of cocoon as he buried his head into the soft and fluffy blanket beneath. The fabric soaked up his tears well. There was not a trace of evidence that remained on his face. Still, the fabric was not the ideal choice to keep the rain away. If anything, the rain was actually absorbed by the blanket he was covered in and it was not long before his body was soaking wet and Changmin was left shivering by the windowsill. He could not blame his hyung though. Normally, when he got into these silent and contemplative moods he allowed his mind to drift off to, it was another who comforted him and gave him warmth. Somehow, that person just knew what to say. He would speak in the flowery and greasy language he was accustomed to using and Changmin's fears and insecurities would be instantly washed away. They were just simple words of encouragement but they had an impact and they served their purpose. Sighing, Changmin closed his eyes, his tears blown away by the sudden gust of wind from outside.

 

It had been four years since he last saw him, yet try as he might, Changmin could not deny. He missed him terribly. He always knew what to say to make Changmin feel better even when Changmin had not said a thing to him. He always knew. Now, he was feeling twice as terrible as he was back then but the person was no longer there anymore. He had gone with the other two, the three of them suing the company, leaving him and Yunho alone without even the turning of their heads. It was the greatest shock he experienced and he remembered the vile hatred that rose within him at that time, the hurt in his heart demanding for vengeance and blood. He hated them back then. Scorning at their success, he wanted more than anything to rip their albums off the stores and stomp on them till there were nothing left but bits and pieces of their music. They had wounded his pride and he wanted much more from them. He wanted an utter destruction in their music careers. He wanted their voices to die out. He wanted them to end in failure. They had abandoned him and Yunho. They did not deserve to be successful. They did not deserve a career at all.

 

Even so, it did not bring him any joy when the news broke out that CJES sued their company for blockading the trio from appearing on media and solid evidence was presented to the court to support CJES’s claim. Changmin supposed he should be elated. SM entertainment was practically granting his wish. They had singlehandedly managed to prevent JYJ from appearing on any sort of media. That essentially destroyed more than half of their music careers. He supposed it was good news but no matter what, Changmin could not bring himself to smile. All he could see were the tears in Junsu’s eyes when the cameras stopped rolling the moment he appeared and the media crew that had begun packing their equipment up and hauling them to the van in total disregard to Junsu’s presence. Changmin tried to tell himself that Junsu deserved it for abandoning them but even then, the words sound false to his ears and all that remained in his vision was the rare sight of Junsu tearing as he thanked his fans for their eternal support and love and the possible sound of Changmin’s heart breaking into pieces as he found himself tearing along with the man before him, the tears streaming down like a broken tap.

 

Denial had finally lost its hold on him. Changmin could no longer carry on living a lie. He still cared for the trio. He still loved them, and that in it irritated him beyond no end. He knew what they had done to him. He had seen first-hand the damage they did to both him and Yunho when they left without a word. He had felt the pain. He had felt the dark despair, the hopelessness and helplessness, so why was his heart being so foolish in forgiving? Why did he find it so difficult to hate the trio who abandoned them and left them to die? Why?

 

Frowning, Changmin glared at the streets beneath, channelling his fury to the innocent cars beneath. Was it really impossible to completely eradicate someone's presence out of your life? Was that what that was holding him back from the hatred he felt boiling in him at the sheer mention of their names? Was it because his body and heart was too used to thinking of them as brothers to love that he could not bring himself to hate them no matter how hard he tried?

 

The rain was pouring down even stronger than before but Changmin was in nowhere closer to the answers he sought for the conflicting questions in his heart. Instead, he remained silent whilst his mind was in a whirlwind storm, his thoughts racing fast ahead as his body appeared as stiff as a statue on the outside.

 

In appearance, Shim Changmin looked like he was coping well with everything and handling things extra smoothly ever since the lawsuit happened 4 years ago. In reality, he was nothing more than a shipwreck, figuring his way through random bouts of guessing and innate intuition. He hated to say it but right now, he felt more of a failure than the trio he abhorred in his mind. He was the one sinking into waves of despair and confusion while the other three were rising above the horizon with the invisible wings he was sure they had growing out of their backs. Changmin sighed. They were up there flying and he was down here drowning. Perhaps Yunho and he was never a match for the talented trio in the first place. Perhaps they were the fools for staying. Perhaps it was never the trio’s fault but theirs to start with.

Changmin was so engrossed in his thoughts he failed to notice that Yunho had opened the door behind him and had entered the room once more, his eyes now filled with anxiety as he took in Changmin’s shivering figure and the completely soaked blanket he had placed over the maknae. A sigh escaped his lips. Approaching the cocoon of blanket slowly but steadily, Yunho was just in time to catch Changmin before he surrendered completely to oblivion and fainted right in Yunho’s arms.

 

He wasted no time after that. In a matter of a few minutes, Yunho stripped Changmin down to the core and submerged him in a warm bath, trying to bring his body temperature back to its norm as fast as possible. It was an easy battle. Changmin stopped shivering the moment he was placed in the water. Satisfied with that, Yunho quickly dried Changmin off and tucked him into bed, allowing him to rest till his body recuperated. It turned out to be the worst mistake he ever made. Instead of warming Changmin to his necessary body temperature, the warm bath merely aggravated the situation and induced a fever in the young man, causing his body temperature to spike as high as 40 degrees Celsius. If Yunho was not panicking previously, he certainly was now. Having never taken care of a sick person before, Yunho was utterly clueless on what he was supposed to do and how he could make Changmin feel better. Close to pulling his hairs out of his head in frustration, Yunho willed himself to calm down as he ran to the kitchen to fetch an ice pack.

 

His heart was racing and his mind was in utter chaos. To be honest, Yunho did not even know what he was doing. All he knew was this: Changmin was sick and the only way he was going to feel better was if Yunho did something about it. So, Yunho did. Listening to the voice in his heart, he brought the ice pack out and immediately laid it down on Changmin’s burning forehead, allowing the ice to take away some of the heat and provide a cooling relief for the maknae. He then raced to the nearest convenience store and bought fever medicine, making sure to read the labels on the medicine before actually feeding the maknae the tablets within. Through it all, Yunho never wavered from his position beside Changmin. He was determined to see the maknae through this and he will be damned if he allowed a pesky thing such as fever to defeat him. Finally, after a few gruelling hours of repeated cycles of tipping water into Changmin’s mouth to make sure he stayed hydrated, the maknae’s fever broke eventually and his temperature dropped from a dangerous 40 degrees Celsius to a mild fever of 38 degrees Celsius. Yunho almost laughed in relief. Thoroughly exhausted, he replaced the icepack on Changmin’s forehead before he slumped on the chair beside him, his body too tired to move. Closing his eyes, Yunho was just about to drift to sleep when the sound of Changmin’s whispers woke him.

 

“Junsu hyung, Jaejoong hyung, Yoochun hyung…”

 

Changmin murmured in his sleep, the soft voice penetrating through the silence of the room. Yunho opened his eyes instantly. Staring at the maknae cautiously, he waved his fingers before Changmin’s eyes, trying to elicit a response from him. There was none. Changmin had not regained consciousness and he was still sleeping peacefully on the bed, his once scrunched brows now perfectly smooth. If Yunho did not know better, he would have thought he imagined Changmin’s voice. Still, Yunho knew better. Changmin was merely sleep talking. Smiling to himself, Yunho looked at the maknae fondly as he brushed away the locks of hair from Changmin’s face, his eyes filled with sorrow and unspoken loneliness.

 

“You miss them too, huh?” Yunho mumbled, his eyes never leaving the maknae before him, “That’s why you were hanging by the windowsill before. You knew that was Junsu’s way of expressing his sadness and Yoochun would never fail to notice it.”

 

Yunho’s eyes darkened abruptly, “Or perhaps were you hoping for Yoochun’s words of comfort as you lay in that position? Were you waiting for him to notice you and speak words of encouragement we both known are more efficient in washing your fears and insecurities away than anything I could have said?”

 

Sighing, Yunho laid a kiss on Changmin’s forehead before turning away, giving the maknae one last glance before shutting the door behind him quietly. It was time for him to let the past go and make the hardest decision of his life. He was not ready for them but he knew his maknae is and if there was anything that was certain in this world, it would be that Changmin’s wellbeing would always be prioritized before his. Recalling the sick maknae that was still lying in his bed, Yunho plucked up his courage and dialled a number he had not contacted in months, his hands trembling as he did so. It was the biggest move he ever had to make but he just knew everything would be worth it in the end.

 

“I can’t comfort you with words, Changmin ah, but I can certainly call the people I know who can do it for you.” Yunho spoke to the surrounding air as the dial tone rang in his ears, a tear sliding down his cheeks as he did so.

 

“I will do anything for you, Changmin ah.”

 

He smiled bitterly as the other person on the line picked up, squelching the last bits of hatred down in his heart…

 

~*~

 

“You'll find it in the words of others; a simple line can make you laugh or cry.

You'll find it in the deepest friendship; the kind you cherish all your life.
And when you know how much that means, you've found that special thing.”

-Flying Without Wings, Westlife

 

To say Changmin was surprised when he woke up was an understatement. The last he remembered, he had fainted in Yunho’s arms and everything had faded into darkness. Now, with the sight presented before him, Changmin wondered if his brain was muddled with fever still. Blinking his eyes furiously, he opened his eyes once more to find that the illusion had not faded away. Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong were currently in his room, crowding his bed and staring at him in worry and concern. The image was so surreal it had to be his imagination, yet the hands that were holding his were real and warm. Surely his brain could not have imagined this? Frowning, Changmin continued to look at the hands clasping his with uncertainty, his eyes filled with distrust.

 

“I’m sorry,” Jaejoong spoke immediately, trying to remove his hands from Changmin’s, “I didn’t realise you’ll be so uncomfortable with it. I’ll just…”

 

Changmin held on tight, refusing to let Jaejoong’s hands go, causing Jaejoong to look at him in confusion. Changmin merely shook his head in explanation. Peering at the faces surrounding him, he then leaned forward and scrutinised every one of their features, boring his gaze into their puzzled ones. Finally, seemingly satisfied, he laid back on the soft pillow Jaejoong propped up for him, the shock and disbelief in his eyes slowly morphing into tears and the ends of his lips slowly curling into a smile. The other three occupants were stunned for words as Changmin reached out with his free hand, pinching onto Junsu’s cheeks tight as he twisted the chubby flesh beneath.

 

“Hey, what is that for?” Junsu immediately protested, swatting Changmin’s hands away as he rubbed his poor bruised cheek, “I come all the way here to see you and this is the grand welcome I get?”

 

Changmin’s smile widened, the tears rolling down his cheeks as he tried to wipe them away, “Had to make sure this isn’t my over imagination, dummy. After all, my fever just broke. Besides, what better test subject can there be but you, my lovely Junsu hyung?”

 

Junsu’s face reddened in irritation while the other two began howling with laughter as Changmin grinned, the tears stopping at the sight of Junsu’s irate face.

 

“You are such a disrespectful maknae!” Junsu exclaimed, his face turning purple with rage, “How dare you say I make a good test subject! Do you not have sense at all in that thick skull of yours? Don’t you know you’re supposed to respect your elders? You…”

 

And as Junsu’s ranting continued, the maknae merely grinned as Yoochun winked in reply, Jaejoong collapsing in uncontrollable laughter by his side.

 

“Do something, Jaejoong hyung!” Junsu shouted, finally realising that no one was paying attention to him whatsoever, “Don’t just laugh there! I’m being bullied here.”

 

Sensing an incoming pout ahead, Yoochun grinned at Junsu and pulled him close, placing a gentle peck on his cheek on the site Changmin had pinched, “There, all better now?”

 

Junsu did not answer him, his face opting to turn a darker shade of red instead. Turning around, he stomped on Yoochun’s foot before marching over to Jaejoong, sticking his tongue out at Yoochun who was now grabbing his foot and howling in pain.

 

“Now what was that for?” Yoochun glared at Junsu in annoyance, “I was just trying to make you feel better.”

 

“No you’re not. You’re just treating me like a child and that’s downright insulting.” Junsu retorted, missing the look of amusement in Changmin’s eyes.

 

Leaving the two lovers to squabble, Changmin turned to stare at Jaejoong instead, his brows already knotted at the sight of the underweight man. Honestly, did the man eat at all? Sensing Changmin’s disapproval, Jaejoong gave a half smile, his eyes staring at everything else but his.

 

“Hyung, have you even been taking care of yourself lately?” Changmin frowned deeply as he saw the bones of Jaejoong’s cheeks. The man was way too skinny for his own good and it was not in a healthy way at all. His heart clenched at the sight of Jaejoong’s present figure and he could not help wondering if that was due to the absence of him and Yunho in the man’s life. Still, Jaejoong was much stronger than that right? Surely he would not succumb to such emotion?

 

“Oh give it up Changmin,” Yoochun spoke, breaking Changmin’s train of thoughts abruptly, “We’ve tried talking to him a couple of times already. Hyung just won’t listen to us.”

 

“Exactly,” Junsu piped in, “He just refuses to take care of himself anymore.”

 

Staring at Jaejoong’s malnourished body, even he could hear the worry in Junsu’s overly cheerful tone. Sighing, he caught Yoochun’s eyes as he glanced towards the man. The message was clear. The reason for it was what he had just suspected it is. Jaejoong was wasting away without Yunho and even the sight of the maknae did nothing to cheer the man up. Looking around, it was then that the maknae realised his partner was missing throughout this whole entire ordeal.

 

“Hyungs,” Changmin questioned as all three heads whipped around to look at him at once, “How did you know I was home? How did you even get in?”

 

Jaejoong paused for a moment before a wistful sigh escaped him and he met Changmin’s eyes for the first time since he was present in this room.

 

“He called Rain,” Jaejoong spoke softly, his melancholic voice travelling through the heavy volumes of silence, “He told him that you needed us and it would be good if we three could come over here and surprise you.”

 

“And so he hid the key beneath the door carpet and instructed Rain hyung to tell you how to obtain the key and left the house before any one of you could arrive.” Changmin continued, his eyes softening at the despair in Jaejoong’s eyes.

 

Numbly, Jaejoong nodded his head, fully aware of the worried glances the other three sent his way. Sighing for the second time today, he felt both Junsu’s and Yoochun’s intent gazes on his back as they implored him to say something to Jaejoong, their hopeful gazes bringing nothing but stress to him.

 

“Honestly,” Changmin carefully began his sentence, “I don’t think Yunho hyung hates any of you at all.”

 

Jaejoong looked up immediately, his eyes blossoming with hope while the other two merely stared on with gazes of distrust and uncertainty.

 

“I mean, I’ve been with him for the past ten years, but I never heard him spoke a bad word about any of you at all.”

 

“Then why?” Yoochun questioned, “Why avoid us like plague?”

 

Changmin’s eyes turned sad as his voice was soft.

 

“Because he’s afraid.” he whispered, shocking Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu with his answer, “He’s afraid if he sees you three again, he’ll have to admit that we broke up in the first place.”

 

With that sentence Changmin uttered, the room fell silent. The mistake of the past still haunts them. It was a fact that could not be erased; it was a taint to their souls. Dong Bang Shin Ki was never meant to be a pair, just like how JYJ was never meant to be formed. The mockery they suffered and the accusations they bore were nothing compared to the pain in their hearts, for that one mistake cost them not only their music careers but also their bonds, the bonds they swore that would never break apart.

 

Changmin still remembered the early days. It was easy pretending everything was alright at first. Changmin held hope himself. When the news broke out, he had laughed it off, confident that his hyungs would never pull something like that. He was wrong and the news had been right. They had sued the company and they had left them to die. It was a fact that left a gaping hole in his heart. No number of apologies could account for the betrayal and rage he felt back then. The pain was too great to be forgotten. Still, looking at the current miserable and guilty faces of his hyungs now, Changmin knew. No amount of mistakes could prevent him from forgiving them either. He loved them with all his heart and if seeing them right now was Heaven’s way of giving them all a second chance, he would gladly take it. No amount of distance could change his love for them.

 

Smiling to himself, Changmin squeezed Jaejoong’s hands that were intertwined with his, garnering Jaejoong’s attention.

 

“It’s alright,” Changmin simpered, his voice void of the usual malice and glee, “I forgive you.”

 

It was truly then and there that Changmin realised the power of his words. It was an instant transformation where three depressed faces morphed into ones of joy and glee. It did not even take more than a second. With his mouth wide open in shock, he stared on in horror as the three figures advanced towards him, giving him the tightest embrace of his life.

 

“Hey,” Changmin struggled as he tried to free himself from his three now crazy hyungs, “let me go! Let me go now!”

 

“No.” Junsu replied, his lips almost splitting apart from the wide grin he was wearing, “I’m never letting you go again.”

 

“You’re ours now.” Yoochun cackled evilly as he tightened his grip on the maknae in his arms, “You can never escape, prisoner of war!”

 

Changmin snorted, showing his displeasure the moment he realised resistance was futile. Folding his arms, he allowed the hyungs to clamber him up like travellers discovering a water source in the Sahara desert as his brows twanged in annoyance, a frown making its way on his face. He had nothing against the hug though. The embrace was snug and if he dare say so, warm enough that it was making him drowsy. If he had any problem at all, it would be the way that it was forced upon him. Ignoring the chatter, laughter and tears surrounding him, Changmin decided that since all they wanted was a human to hug, they would not mind it if the human was awake or not. Fluffing the pillow on his bed, Changmin fell promptly back on bed, dragging Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong along with him.

 

“Hey Changmin, how can you sleep after this? It’s a joyous moment to celebrate. It’s the time to cheer and dance. How can you…”

 

Changmin threw the pillow at Junsu’s face, receiving his indignant sqwak. He could care less about what he had to say. Sleep was of his topmost priority at the moment. And so, Junsu’s loud sounds of protests were the last sound he heard before he drifted into sleep’s embraces, the previous tear stains on his face now replaced with a faint smile that tugged at the end of his lips.

 

~*~

 

“So impossible as it may seem, you've got to fight for every dream.
'Cause who's to know which one you let go would have made you complete.”
-Flying Without Wings, Westlife

 

The next time Changmin woke up, it was silence that greeted him. Blinking his eyes a few times to allow himself to adjust to the darkness, he was just about to get out of bed when a movement outside his door stopped him. Closing his eyes, Changmin feigned sleep as he watched through eyelids Yunho entering the room. Yunho made no sound upon his stealth entry but even he could not suppress his gasp of shock when he realised that Jaejoong, Junsu and Yoochun had fallen asleep around Changmin with their arms still enveloping the maknae. Praying silently in his heart, Changmin watched on as Yunho paused in his steps, the fear and hesitance rolling off him in waves. Yunho was conflicted, that was as much as Changmin could tell, but of what exactly, Changmin had no idea of. Finally, as though he made up his mind, Yunho walked over to the nearest sleeping figure beside him and carried him up in his arms. He then kicked the door open with his legs and left the room, taking a sleeping Junsu along with him.

 

“So he was debating if he should carry them to the spare bedrooms in the house huh?” Changmin snickered to himself quietly, “So much for not caring about them, leader shii.”

 

His snickers, however, quickly died down at the sound of Yunho’s imminent footsteps, and Changmin hurriedly closed his eyes once more, trying to be as still as a statue. Silently, Yunho once again pried another sleeping figure from Changmin’s side and carried him in his arms, leaving the room with a small thud of the door. Yoochun hyung was gone now. Only Jaejoong hyung was left.

 

Knowing that this would be the toughest challenge for his hyung to overcome, Changmin opted to close his eyes, wanting to give his hyung the privacy he needed. Jaejoong was after all Yunho’s lover before the whole lawsuit erupted. Crossing his fingers under the blanket, Changmin shut his eyes, praying it would all turn out well in the end. He was just in the nick of time as in that instant, Yunho had returned. However, unlike the previous two times, Yunho did not even bother concealing the noise he was making. Instead, Yunho had stormed up to Jaejoong and glared at him. Such was the potency of the glare that Changmin could feel it even when his eyes were closed. Fearing for the worst, Changmin opened his eyes just to see Yunho grabbing Jaejoong up by the collar, his face flushed from anger as he proceeded to raise his hand in rage to strike, causing Changmin’s eyes to widen in shock at the sight. Immediately, Changmin lodged himself between Jaejoong and his hyung, and fended the blow off with his reflexes. Staring at Yunho with anger and shock, he stood there silent as the adrenaline continued pumping through his veins.
 

“What the man, hyung?” Changmin snapped after a minute, recovering from the shock as his eyes now dulled to a burning rage, “How low can you get to assault a sleeping man?”

 

Yunho smirked in response, “If I didn’t do that, would you have stopped your farce of sleeping?”

 

Looking at the position of Yunho’s hands, Changmin then realised that Yunho had no intention of striking Jaejoong at all. It was a mind trick to the eye. Yunho’s hands were nowhere near his ex-lover’s face. Glaring at Yunho for an entire new reason now, Changmin retreated back to his sanctuary of his bed, his arms folded as he stared at the man before him.

 

“Out with it now, what exactly is so important that you had to wake me up personally to tell me about it?”

 

Yunho grinned in response, savouring his sweet moment in victory until his eyes caught the sight of his ex-lover and a dark shadow flitted across his face. Putting his hands on his lips, Yunho then signalled Changmin to remain quiet, indicating the sleeping figure on Changmin’s side.

 

“Put him in your bed then follow me outside.” Yunho commanded, his eyes lingering on the sleeping figure for a few more moments before he turned away from it entirely and stalked out of the room like an arrogant child. Staring sullenly at his hyung’s back, Changmin sighed as he followed Yunho’s orders and placed Jaejoong gently on his bed. He had no idea how Jaejoong remained asleep amidst all the commotion but he figured that that was a tell-tale sign of Jaejoong’s apparent exhaustion. Tucking Jaejoong into the blanket, Changmin gave his hyung one last smile before he exited the room, closing the door softly behind him as he headed off to find Yunho, knowing that whatever his hyung told him was going to be serious and most likely bad.

 

Meeting Yunho in the living room, Changmin was shocked to be greeted by a smile from him instead of a frown. Puzzled, his eyes widened further as Yunho presented him with an envelope, sliding the object across the table to Changmin’s end.

 

“What is it?” Changmin stared at the envelope in his hands warily, “Whatever makes you happy can’t be good.”

 

Yunho chuckled, “Such a pessimist as usual, Changmin ah, but go on, open it. It’ll make you happy, I swear.”

 

Staring at Yunho dubiously, Changmin opened the envelope, eyeing it distrustfully. It took him a whole minute to read the words on the letter and another full minute before he could fully absorb the meaning behind those words. Looking up from the letter in his hands, he looked at Yunho before gazing down at the letter again, bobbing his head up and down.

 

“As much as I find your imitation of a seal successful, I have to say that it’s grating on my nerves,” Yunho commented, a sparkle in his eyes, “Is there anything that you do not understand from the letter? Or is the shock too great for you to comprehend?”

 

The thinly-veiled insult snapped Changmin out of his trance as he placed the letter back on the table, his hands slightly trembling as he did so.

“How?” he questioned, his eyes bored into Yunho’s as he clenched his fists in an attempt to still his hands, “They could never have approved.”

 

“But they did,” Yunho smiled in return, “and that’s all that matters. Don’t concern yourself with matters that have already been discussed and dealt with, Changmin.”

 

“B-but-“

 

“Tell me, Changmin, do you want this or not?”

 

The question stumped Changmin momentously and caught him off guard. Yunho was staring at him intently and by the firm look in his eyes, Changmin knew he was expecting a serious and honest answer from him. Yunho was not in the mood for any jokes.

 

“Yes.” Changmin finally uttered, lowering his face to stare at the ground his feet was standing on, “You know it already. Why ask?”

 

Yunho grinned, “Had to have double-confirmation.”

 

He spoke before he stood up from the sofa he was sitting on, and walked away, leaving the envelope to Changmin who stayed behind, “I’ll leave it to you to tell the rest then.”

 

“Wait.” Changmin called out, stopping Yunho in his tracks, “Why did you do this, hyung? There was absolutely no reason too. You’re not ready for a DBSK reunion yet. I sense that your feelings are still conflicted, so why organise this concert for the five of us to sing?”

 

There was an awkward pause of silence and Changmin could sense the warring emotions within the leader as he stood there contemplating, the joy from before having dissipated. Feeling the tension in Yunho’s figure, Changmin badly wanted to retract his question, his curiosity obviously causing great pain to the leader before him. He was just about to open his mouth and apologise for his impudence when Yunho answered him, his voice trembling within the surrounding air.

 

“Because only with them, can we fly without wings.”

 

And in that instant, Changmin understood everything.

 

JYJ makes DBSK all complete and together, they’ve found that special thing…

 

"Everybody's looking for that something, one thing that makes it all complete.
You'll find it in the strangest places; places you never knew it could be.

You'll find it in the words of others; a simple line can make you laugh or cry.

You'll find it in the deepest friendship; the kind you cherish all your life.
And when you know how much that means, you've found that special thing....”

 

And are flying without wings…

 

The End.

 

Author's Note: Hope you enjoyed this rather unusual version of a reunion so to speak, haha. If you didn't get the 'flying without wings' reference, well, it's in the song Flying Without Wings by Westlife so just read the lyrics there and you'll get what I'm trying to get at haha. Hope you enjoyed this fic but if you're confused by the ending, don't worry, I'm pretty much confused as well as I wrote it. This fic took way too many sharp turns it's throwing its author off unexpectedly haha. Alrights. XD As usual, thanks for the constant support and love you readers! :D