To-Get-Her

Attraction

Yura sat up from her bed and rubbed her eyes, she let out a yawn and stopped her phone from making that horrible sound, her eyes flashed open when she realized it was Friday, the day she has been waiting for. She jumped out of bed and hurried down the stairs with an excited smile, she jumped onto Hyojin’s bed and shook her violently. “Park Hyojin!” Yura screamed. “Wake up!” Hyojin kicked her away and pulled the blanket over her head while mumbling. Yura stood up and stared at the huge bump on the bed. “Today’s Friday,” she paused to see if she will react, but nothing happened. “Last day of the week of living here,” Yura patted the place where she thinks her shoulders are.

Hyojin peeked her head out of the blanket with her eyes still closed. “What time is it?” she asked with her morning voice. “Time for you to get up,” Yura said calmly and waited for her to come out of her blanket. Hyojin got out of bed with her eyes half opened, she pulled her hood over her head and stumbled towards the door, Yura smiled and swung her arm over Hyojin’s neck as they made their way down to the cafeteria for breakfast.

Yura grabbed two fresh made grilled cheese and walked over to their table, where Hyojin had her head down on it, Yura placed the two plated on the table and sat down, Hyojin’s head shot up at the scent of perfectly grilled grilled cheese sandwich, Yura smiled and started eating. Today, she was feeling great, she could feel herself coming back, the always-happy girl. She took a deep breath and looked around, even though the sight of half-asleep people wasn’t a very pleasing sight, but because she was in a good mood, everything made her smile.

Just when she turned back to continue eating, two familiar figures walking through the door caught the corner of her eyes, she moved her sight to the two people with a much wider smile slowly appearing on her face. Even though L.Joe had a hood over his head and was back facing her, she could still figure out that it is him by his skinny figure. She watch him walk over to an empty table with Niel and began to eat, she watched his every little movement while he eat the exact same breakfast as her. She felt like an extreme stalker but she couldn’t help not looking at him, the way he picks up his orange juice and the way he chews slowly with a tired face made her heart squeal, and for some reason Yura really liked the morning him, he looked extra cute and clueless in the morning.

Hyojin lift her head up from her food after realizing that Yura had stopped eating, she was about to scold her for not eating breakfast again, but she followed her eyes to the table a few next to theirs. She let out a light chuckled and snapped her finger at Yura. “Stop staring him, you creep.” Yura turned around immediately with a shocked look. Hyojin laughed at her expression and shook her head while finishing up her breakfast, Yura turned and looked at L.Joe for the last time, and quickly finished her sandwich as well.

 

As soon as they got back to their room, Yura walked to her desk with her toothbrush in and threw her books into her bag, and hurried back into her bathroom before the foam could drip down. She hopped onto the counter and continued brushing her teeth, she watched Hyojin rushing back and forth from her closet to the dirty pile of laundry in the basket. “Where’s my uniform?” she screamed. Yura rinsed and hopped off the counter, she walked over to the couch and picked up the clothes Hyojin was looking for. “Are you really that forgetful? You threw it here yesterday after you took a shower.”

Hyojin grabbed the uniform and smiled. “Thanks,” she said and rushed into the bathroom. Yura sat on the arm of the couch and stared at the floor, she was in such a good mood she could already tell today was going to be a great day. As soon as Hyojin got out the bathroom, they left their room and headed down the hall.

 


L.Joe button up his uniform while staring down at his bed, he wanted to crash into it and continue sleeping, but he was already walking through the front door of the school when he started regretting for not crawling back into bed. He followed Niel into the school and found their group, L.Joe leaned against the wall and zoned out while the others talked, he couldn’t hear what exactly the boys were talking about, but he was also somehow not interested. It was unusual for him to not be interested about what the others were talking about, since he usually would be laughing and adding more fun into the conversation, but ever since he started having feelings towards Yura he would always space out into his own world, thinking about her, and never able to focus well when she’s not around, the only way he could refocus was to think about her, imagine she’s somewhere near him, watching him, smiling at him, and just being there.

His lips curled up at the imaginations in his head, he lift up his head and laughed at a joke Chunji made. Even though the imaginations were just imaginations he imagined in his head, he would always feel that slight little energy and joy that would always make him smile.

“I think we’re going to that training camp this year again,” C.A.P said all the sudden.

“Oh, damn, that thing screwed me up so bad! My grades dropped so low, I almost failed,” Chunji scrunched his face and gave C.A.P a disgusted look. “Hyung, you were already failing before the camp,” Niel said and smirked as Chunji glared at him.

“What camp?” Rickey asked.

“Basketball training camp kinda thing. It’s boring and tiring, trust me. You miss three days of school,” C.A.P explained to the two new players and looked down at his phone to check the time. “Who’s skipping with me today?” C.A.P said loudly.

“Who’s what?” said their couch while walking pass them with a mug in his hand. C.A.P laughed. “Skip, like, skipping to my class, you know.” The couch shook his head. C.A.P grabbed Chunji’s hand and skipped down the hall with their couch laughing behind them.

L.Joe shook his head and waved goodbye to the rest of them as the bell rang, he didn’t go straight to class, because he never wanted to. He walked up the stairs, he looked into the classroom as he pass by them, there was barley anyone in the classrooms but he was still curious of who would be in there. He stuck his hands into his pocket and continued walking, he didn’t really cared about his first class since it was art, and he isn’t really that much of an artist.

He wondered around the almost-empty hall and pulled out his phone, there was one minute left until he was officially late for class, he turned into the math hall and continued looking into the classrooms, most of the classes were students a year younger than him, and that’s when he felt a slight little hope of seeing Yura. He rolled his eyes at himself and chuckled. Stop dreaming and go to class. He demanded himself.

He was still looking through doors while walking down the hallway, as he slowly reached the end of the hall, his heart died as well. He glanced into the last classroom in the hall with almost no hope left, he looked in and looked away, and continued walking, but before he reached the stairs he paused and walked back, he looked into the class again and saw Yura sitting behind Chanjo, with her eyes staring out into the hallway. L.Joe tilted his head and walked pass the classroom wondering if she saw him or if she was spaced out, he stopped halfway again and turned back around to check if she’s still looking.

Yura’s eyes widen in shock, she blinked cluelessly at the shinning hallway floor, she wasn’t sure if she was seeing L.Joe or if she was actually seeing him. Half of her brain was wondering why he wasn’t in class and the other half was wondering if she was going insane. And just when she was about to look away, he walked pass again, looking right at her. Yura looked away immediately and bit her lower lip, the way he looked into her eyes reminded her of the very first day of school, the very first time she saw him, and the very first time they ever made an eye contact. Her face flushed as she stared down at her opened textbook, she shook her head lightly and looked back up at the board. Focus, Yura. Focus. She reminded herself, but her mind soon drifted back into her thoughts.

 

She couldn’t remember what she had learned in that class since all she was thinking was L.Joe walking pass three times, she wanted to know why he was walking in the hallway when the bell had obviously rang, but everything always come to that one question. How can she ask him? She pouted into her locker and grabbed her next class’s books and pulled out her phone to text Hyojin about what happened. She needed to tell someone before her head explodes into pieces from thinking too much.

She tapped her thumb against her phone as she waited for Hyojin to reply, but she still didn’t reply when Yura arrived at her next class. She placed her phone roughly onto her book and glared at it, she knew Hyojin wouldn’t reply until maybe lunch since she wasn’t the type that checks her phone all the time, but right now she needs her to read the message and tell her what she thinks.

Her phone lit up with a notification just when she was about to give up, she quickly unlock her phone and read the messages.

Aww, he’s looking for you!!!

A wide grin formed on her face as she re-read the message over and over again, she couldn’t help herself but to keep reading it. She was thankful of Hyojin’s reply, but at the same time she couldn’t get that thought into her head, she couldn’t think it the way Hyojin thought about it, even though she really wanted to. She could never imagine someone liking her, because she was the sporty type of girl, sometimes too sporty boys don’t want to go near her, so she wouldn’t ruin their reputation of being the "athletic" ones. She threw her phone into her bag when the class stared, she took a deep breath and promised herself that she would focus during this class.

 


Yura watched people walk pass, she drank her chocolate milk quietly beside Hyojin as she flipped through her books and notes, and wrote the right answer down. She placed her half-filled chocolate milk on the bench and turned over to the girl that was busy doing her homework. “Why didn’t you finish your homework yesterday?” she asked and picked up Hyojin’s notebook. After not understanding the first sentence, Yura put it back down beside the textbook.

“I did, the front side,” Hyojin mumbled. “I didn’t know there was a back side.”

Yura shook her head and picked up the carton of milk and continued drinking, she stretched out her legs and stared at her favorite shoes. She couldn’t think of doing anything but smile, she wanted to see him again, she didn’t need to be close to him or have him notice her, she just want to see him enjoying his time with his friends, smiling and laughing, because watching his face light up always make her happy as well.

 


Yura giggled beside Hyojin as they walk to their last class, she had the brightest smile on her face as she walk down the busy hallway. She didn’t care how much she hated English, the class she was about to enter, because she was too excited about going home nothing could ruin her mood. Hyojin gave her a why-so-happy look as they enter the usual quiet classroom.

The class started two minutes before the bell rang, as usual, Yura never actually know why her old, strict English teacher always start class early, but she didn’t mind since she was always on time. The teacher went on about the novel the class was reading, none of the words that came out of the old lady's mouth interested Yura, she sat quietly in her seat and pretended to be jotting down important notes. She played with her pen while waiting for the class to end, she had another reason why she hated this class, which was that the clock was hung at the back of the classroom and not the front, so every time she wants to check the time she has to turn all the way back, and get in trouble for “not paying attention”.

She gripped onto her pen and looked down at her bag where her phone was in, she wanted to check the time on her phone but she didn’t dare move an inch, she turned her head half way to the side and bit her bottom lips, she has been in trouble for turning back quite a few times before so she turned back around, still not knowing the time. Yura was the type that is always looking at the time in class, she didn’t like being surprised by the bell and not being able to leave the class right away, especially the last class.

Everyone in the classroom looked stiff and uncomfortable, but her English teacher didn’t seem to care at all, she just went on and on. Yura felt a light tap on her shoulder and a folded piece of paper dropped onto the floor next to the leg of her chair, she watched the teacher’s eyes examining each student’s face, and as soon as the eyes left her, she reached down and quickly picked up the piece of paper and unfolded it. She bit the inside of her cheek to prevent from making any happy, inhuman sound and smooth out the creased paper, it was a quick but perfect sketch of L.Joe and her that Hyojin drew. The longer she stared at the more she couldn’t contain her feelings, and before she could stop herself, she turned around and gave Hyojin a thumbs up with a wide grin.

“Yura,” the teacher called with a steady emotionless voice. “Would you like to move here in front of me?” the old lady pointed at the empty seat right in front of where she stood.

“Sorry,” Yura apologized and turned back around.

“The next time you turn around, you will come sit right here for the rest of the year.”

Yura nodded her head and looked down at the drawing sticking out from under the notebook, she would frame it and hang it on the wall right across from her bed, so every morning the first thing she sees is the drawing.

Few minutes later, the announcements came on the speaker, Yura started packing up her things just like the rest of the students, every time announcements came on during last block, it usually means that school is ending in a few minutes. She smiled at the drawing for the last time and fold it back into the small little square, she threw all her books into her bag and zipped it. She turned around, facing Hyojin, and giggled like a little girl. “It’s a draft, and it doesn’t even look that good. The hair is so messed up,” Hyojin frowned.

Yura’s jaw dropped. “Are you kidding me? It’s like the best drawing I’ve ever seen.”

Hyojin laughed. “I’ll draw a better one for you on the weekend.” Yura squealed and thanked her.

“…And, would boys’ and girls’ basketball team members please come down to the gym for a brief meeting after school. That’s it for your afternoon announcement, have a great weekend!”

Yura closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Why couldn’t the meeting be at lunch? She thought and hurried out the classroom with Hyojin, she complained all the way to the stairs about the meeting. “It should’ve been at lunch and not after school, like, we want to go home, we don’t want to spend twenty more minutes in the school!”

“Look on the bright side,” Hyojin said with a calm voice, so calm you can feel it. “You can see L.Joe there,” she said, whispering his name. Yura turned and smiled at her. “Right.” They giggled and waved goodbye before spitting up.

Yura rushed up the stairs to her locker, she took the books she needed and left the rest, then speed walked to the gym. She pushed open the gym door, revealing the sight of perfectly waxed gym floor and half of the total amount of team members. She walked closer towards the group and greeted the people, just when she started heading over to the few girls, L.Joe stopped in front of her, holding out sheets of paper stabled together, she raised her eyebrows and looked at the handouts.

“It’s for you,” he said with his usual sweet voice, and the way he said it made her brain stop working, she felt her ears burn in heat and her heart beating loudly. His voice repeated over and over again in her head, she could just imagine him holding a rose and saying that sentence to her.

She bit her tongue and snapped out of her thoughts. She tried giving him a calm, thankful smile, but it came out as a shy and embarrassed one, and before she could be anymore embarrassed, she quickly walked away. L.Joe watched her walk to her friends and chuckled, he wanted to pat her on the head and pinch her cheeks, because everything about her was just so adorable.

“L.Joe, are you not going to give me one?” Hyuna asked with her arm stretched out, she turned her head over to where he was looking at before. “Who are you looking at?” she asked and took the handout. L.Joe shrugged and walked away.

When everyone finally arrived, the coaches gathered them in and explained about the three days camp they will be going next week. Half of Yura was paying attention and the other half was staring at L.Joe’s back, all she knew about the camp was that it was for three days, everyone needs to attend it, and they will have to be responsible of the classes they will miss.

“Just like the previous years, it’s held near the beach!” One of the boys’ coach screamed. Yura’s eyes light up at the word, she loves going to the beach. Every summer, her family would at least go to the beach once, even though they always go to the same beach it’s always different every time they went.

L.Joe read through the familiar handout and let out a quiet sigh, of course he was excited about the camp but he was also annoyed by the “parents/guardian signature” at the bottom of the very last page. He always ask his mom for everything except for signing kind of things, everything that need signature goes to his dad, his strict dad. He sighed again and placed the handout in front of him, he looked to his left then his right. Where is she? He asked himself and turned around, meeting her eyes, he felt his face warming up but he couldn’t take his eyes off of hers, it was like everyone had disappeared and the only people left in the gym was the two of them.

“Alright! Everyone remember to hand the permission form in on Monday!” the male coach broke into their moment. The two of them looked away at the same way and stood up, he wasn’t exactly sure if what happened seconds ago was real or not, and before he could think about where he was going, he was already in his room with his clothes all packed up and waiting for Niel.

Niel snapped his finger at L.Joe. “Are you okay? You look lost.” L.Joe looked at him with wide eyes and shook his head, looking lost. He walked out the door and Niel followed him out, they walked in a straight line down the hall, he knew L.Joe had something on his mind, but wouldn’t say a word about it. Niel remained walking behind L.Joe as they got onto the bus, they went all the way to the very back and sat down at their usual seats, and just when Niel sat down, L.Joe decided to talk. “Have you ever had that feeling where you just want to walk up to someone and hug them?”

Niel froze and gave L.Joe a confused look. “Are you okay? What are you talking about?”

“That feeling where you just-never mind, ignore whatever I just said,” L.Joe turned his head facing the window and watched students walking towards the front of the bus with huge bags.

No one caught his eyes as he watched the students walk towards the bus, besides that one girl that he wanted to wrap his arms around, his eyes followed her as she slowly walk towards the bus, he could feel flowers blooming in his heart, no matter what she does, it always made his feelings go crazy. He immediately lift his head up when she disappeared out of his sight, he stared at the front of the bus and waited for her face to pop up, and within a second, it did. His eyes still followed her, until she sat down a few seats in front. L.Joe sat back down and stared at the chair in front of him.

Niel, who sat on the side, was watching him and his unusual movements. He kind of got a clue what is going on with him but he didn’t know who she was exactly. And, as a good friend, he might as well abandon the number one rule of the school and give him some support. “If you want to be together with her, you’ll have to-get-her,” he mumbled. L.Joe looked over at Niel confused. “How’d you…”

“I have a brain that actually works,” Niel pointed at his head and covered his body with a light jacket. “Wake me up one stop before my house.”

L.Joe’s eyes remained looking at Niel, he thought about the words and smirked. Together. To-Get-Her.

 


L.Joe looked out the window as he thought of different ways to ask Yura out, but he was also worried that he might scare her away, or maybe it’ll make their comfortable, friendly relationship awkward. He shook his head and woke Niel up just when they reached the stop Niel wanted him to wake him up at. The sleepy boy sat up with half asleep eyes and grabbed his things slowly like a sloth, by the time he was done gathering all his belongings, they were just a red light away from the stop. L.Joe grabbed his stuff from the seat in front just to get ready to get off the bus the stop after Niel’s, he waved goodbye to Niel and counted four streets, and stood up.

Someone at the front had stood up at the same time and walked towards the bus as him, he smiled. Yura. He speed walked over to the front and got off the bus just a few seconds after her, he had a sudden courage to start a conversation with her, but a tall, good looking guy caught Yura’s eyes first.

“Oppa!” she screamed and hurried over. In that split second, L.Joe’s mood went from the happiest person alive to why-am-I-still-alive. He watched the two of them laughed at each other, looking as if it has been a billion years without seeing each other. The way she screamed “oppa” made him feel pity of himself. He didn’t know who he was or what is he to her, but he wasn’t liking that tall guy at all.

 


Yura raised her eyebrows at her brother. “Where’d you go?” Junhong grabbed her heavy looking bag off her shoulder and put it on his. “Himchan hyung’s place,” he said and sniffed his shirt. “Do I smell like coffee?”

Yura thought for a few seconds and remembered her brother was over at the coffee lover’s house. She lean in to get a better smell, but she had completely forgot that her brother was the biggest annoying brother in the world. He locked his arm around her neck and ruffled her hair. “How come you always fall for this?” he asked and laughed. Yura rolled her eyes and slapped his back, causing him to let go. “You are so annoying, I hate you so much.”

“I know you do, but that’s what brothers are for, right?” he asked and leaned down, mocking her height. “To annoy the sisters.” Yura groaned and walked away from him, but a smile formed.

 

The siblings burst through the door. “I’m home,” they screamed out at the same time. Their mom rushed out of the living room, still in her work clothes, and smiled at her two children, she gave Yura a tight hug. “Where did you go, Junhong?” she asked. Yura grabbed her bag from her brother and went upstairs to change out of her uniform. “Himchan hyung’s,” he answered and hook his arm around his mother’s as they went back to the living room.

Yura quickly changed out of uniform and threw all her dirty clothes into the laundry basket, she rushed back downstairs with her permission form in her hand. She got down right in time for dinner. They ate in silence before her dad asked Yura about school. She nodded her head and swallowed down her food. “I got into the basketball team. Oh!” she turned around and passed her form across the dinning table to her dad. “Everyone on the team needs to go.”

Her dad nodded while reading the information, he grabbed a pen from the counter and signed it. “Make sure you ask your teacher for the materials you'll be missing ahead of time.”

“Don’t worry, I will,” Yura smiled.