Trial and Error

Trial and Error
 
She sat there on the floor of the dressing room. Her white gown was jeweled and laced to perfection. The matching veil covered her face from the world as a symbol of humility and purity. She brought a white gloved hand to her cheek. As she pulled it away she saw it was stained black. The mascara that was used to make her shine on her wedding day betrayed her. The second betrayal of the day.
 
The door creaked open and a man silently came into the room. She quickly tried to silence her breaths. He sighed at the sight of her on the floor and brought his incredibly tall figure down to her level. Lifting her veil he exposed her tear ridden face. As soon as she registered his face she broke down once more and sobbed with every ounce of pain in her.
 
"Seulong, why? Why would he do this to me?" She asked in between gasps.
 
He could not give her answer. He merely sat there and rubbed circles on her back to calm her shaking. It pained him. It pained him to see her so beautifully dressed yet so horribly upset. More than anything he was angry. He had resigned himself to losing her; excepting the fact that she would marry another man. He had worked so hard not to rip the bastards face in half with every move he had learned in Mouy Tai, but now he wished the idiot was infront of him so no urge could be left unsatisfied. How could he leave her at the alter like that? Just waiting, hoping, praying that he would come back through the same doors that he had ran out of.

"Seulong, I love him, I love him so much this is killing me." she hugged him tightly and buried her face into his chest.

'Your words are killing me' he thought, but continued in his silence. When her gasps had decreased and cries became less audible; he began to choose the right words to say.
 
"I'm sorry," he began, "I'm sorry you have to suffer this pain. I know it hurts but you'll pull through this. You'll forget about him in time and it will all feel like an old story that doesn't need repeating."
 
"Forget about him?" She raised her voice and pulled away from her closest friend. "How am I supposed to forget two years of what I thought was happiness?"
 
'The same way I've been trying to forget two years of what I know was pain.'
 
"How do I silence the screaming that my heart is making because it knows I can't have him with me?"

'I've asked myself the same question over and over again.'
 
"It's hard." He finally responded. "It's painfully and terribly hard, but you have to feel that pain. You have to hurt with the same passion and fire that you loved with for it to balance out. Every illusion you had with him; you have to knock it down piece by piece until there's nothing left." He stared into her eyes as they filled with more tears. She cried in his arms with absolutely no inhibitions that night; while he fought his tears back with every fiber of his being.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
 
A month had gone by since the painful ordeal in the wedding hall, and the ex-bride sat at a small table in a coffee shop. She looked out through the window and watched as the couples spent their day hand in hand, strolling through the streets in a blissful romance. She envied them and the thoughts of her envy caused a tear to escape from it's home and run down her tinted cheek. Seulong was bringing the ice cream sunday to enjoy in this heat when he saw her melancholy and nostalgic expression. He sat down infront of her but her attention was not diverged from the window. He took a bit of the whipped cream and dapped it on his knows and plopped the cherry on top of it. He tapped her shoulder and when she turned she gasped and small laugh escaped her lips.

"What are you doing? You know I love to eat the cherry!" She smiled as took the spoon from the bowl. Seulong reached out and wiped the stray tear away. She looked at him and offered a sad smile.
 
"It's hard still isn't it? Does it hurt as much as before?" He asked with all sincerity but he would not look her in the eyes.

"No, it hurts less and less each day, but overall it's really -"

"Tiring?" He finished for her.
 
"Yeah." She stopped for a moment before taking his hands. The sudden movement surprised him and his head snapped back to her. "Seulongie, why are you so good at making me feel better? You can always put a smile on my face."
 
"Because I know. I know how hurt you feel to have a chance at love taken from you. Plus, I love you. I'll always be there for you." He emphasized his 'I love you' the best he could be it didn't phase her at all.
 
"I love you too. You're the most perfect person on the planet. Handsome, tall, a great singer, and the nicest man in my life. I can't believe that there would be a girl who could take you for granted like that."
 
'Then why can't you see me who is here infront of you.' he thought. Every sweet compliment was a bitter reminder that despite all his efforts; she did not see him as a man.
 
"I'm perfect huh?"
 
"Mhhmmm, well you can be a bit of a dork; but other than that, yup you're pretty perfect."

"So why not date me?" It just came out; it was supposed to stay in his head but it just cam out like nothing.
 
"What?" She laughed. "Stop messing with me Seulong."

He sighed and rather than keep it quiet he continued," I'm not messing with you. I've patted it down for so long now, but hearing you call me perfect just makes no sense to me. Why? Why can I be perfect but not perfect for you? What made you fall for someone that ended up betraying you when I've been here all along."  His voice wasn't rising but you could hear the aggression in his whispers.
 
She felt bad but at the same time she didn't like the tone he used. "Do I owe you something? We're you nice me just so you could try to win over my heart?"
 
He gawked at her for a moment before laughing in disbelief. "Yes, yes I went through 4 years of holding back screams and tears to try to win you over. It wasn't because I cared about you and wanted to see you happy. When have I ever asked favors in return from you huh? When have I ever kept tabs on you? I've never asked anything of you _________ and you know that. I'm just wondering why. But you know what; even that's a stupid question. I know why, I've always known why. It just took me this long to accept it; to accept that you've never loved me as much as I've loved you." After some silence he rose from the table and walked out the door. She just sat there; numb. Numb from the pain of losing her fiancé and now from the pain of losing her closest friend and the man who loved her for so long.

If she had known earlier would she have felt the same? Had he confessed to her, would she have given him a chance?

At the realization that she was the woman that had taken him for granted ________ felt a sudden tug in her heart. She got up from her seat and followed after him but he had already disappeared and she saw no signs of his tall figure amongst the crowd of shoppers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
 
A few days had gone by with out him calling her or vice versa. However, she was not going to allow him to slip through her fingers again. She set out one night determined to show him that his feelings were not only acknowledged but shared.  She drove to his dorm and standing outside his window she began to play 2AM's Confession of a Friend (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srs_M6vKbWI) from her car stereo.
 
The lights from the dorm but the four boys suspected it was just a fan that wanted to get their attention. It wasn't until they heard a shout from outside.
 
"Seulongie!!! I'm sorry! I know it's late, but ... I love you!" Her voice was loud and clear and Seulong could recognize it immediately. He nearly fell out of his bed as he rushed to the window. When he saw her staring back at him he almost fainted right on the spot. He didn't know what to do or say; he just stood there gawking at the unbelievable sight. It wasn't until Changmin smacked him on the shoulder that he snapped out of it.
 
"Are you just going to stand there or are you going to go down and kiss the woman you've been crying over for the past four years?" Changmin smirked as Seulong immediately listened to his hyung and rushed downstairs. He threw open the front door and ran barefoot into the street. when he reached her his energy died once again and his words were caught in his throat. It took a second before he could blurt out "ARE YOU INSANE?"
 
"What?" She asked dumbfounded.
 
"Do you know what time of night it is? Do you know how angry people could get at someone yelling in the middle of the night? What if security thought you were some crazy fan girl and tried to get physical with you? What if-"
 
He was cut off from the warm presence of her lips on his. His eyes stayed open as he processed how he got from being the overseen best friend to the man she was kissing. It wasn't until she pulled away that he regretted not kissing back with more passion; that he regretted overthinking everything since the beginning and not taking a chance with his heart like he should have done the moment he realized he had feelings for her.
 
She stayed there waiting for a response from him. "Do you really love me?" He asked with complete doubt.
 
"Yes, I know it's strange but knowing that you were there for me and knowing that you always loved me and expected nothing in return made me realize t hat you really were perfect. That there was nothing for me to not love about you and that, that was it; I did love you. It just took me longer than you to realize what kind of love I felt for you. I'm sorry for taking so long."
 
A smile spread across his lips and he pulled her into an embrace. "Thank you ______. I've wanted to hear that for so long now. Thank you." With a small peck on the lips he quickly took his jacket off and placed it over her. He rubbed her arms and shoulders a few times before escorting her back to her car and wishing her a safe drive back and sweet dreams of him. 
 
"I'll see you in the morning?" She asked.
 
"And everyday after that." He winked and waved as the car disappeared into the city streets. He stood at the corner a few minutes after the confession with that same happy smile on his face before heading upstairs to bed even though he knew he wouldn't be able to sleep that night and neither would the other 2AM members for that matter.