Kiddo

Like Love

1. Like Love: Kiddo


 

“You are all coming to you last year of high school, it’s about time that you decide your future and run towards your dreams. Think wise of what you wish to accomplish in the future.”


 

[Break]


 

“Have you signed up for any universities?”

“Uh, Yeah! I’ve been doing college applications and stuffs like that. I want to major in nursing since I’ve always dreamt of it!”

“Oh, cool! I want to major in Engineering.”

“Wow. I can’t believe time is moving really fast!”

“Faster than last year!”

“Next thing you know, we’ll be in a college, having jobs and living on our own!”

“Wow. It seems that we’re all growing up as adult rapidly!”


 

Ya… *sigh* Everyone seems to be moving forward with a goal. Almost everyone in class wants to be something great, whether they’re small or big… I’m quite envious.


 

Time is moving really fast and I can’t seem to get a hold of it.


 

“And that’s how you find the derivative of f(x). That’s it for today, I’ll be passing worksheets and they’re your only homework for tonight so don’t even bother complaining. Unless you all want to do book work,” Mr. Jung announced. The class immediately respond to him with, “NO! We love this homework!” Mr. Jung smirks and head to his chair.


 

---


 

Looking away from the board, her head tilt straight to the window outside. It’s spring of March … Spring break was over and there was nothing that she did. The side of her cheek rest on her palm and the music play loudly through her ears, not noticing the person sitting in front of her neatly setting the worksheet on her table.


 

A heavy sigh escape and she close her eyes. She couldn’t care less about the future, nor the past, nor the present. She probably don’t even care… and yet, here she is … taking all these AP Courses, Honors Classes … and stuffs she couldn’t care less about, just to accomplish something she’s uncertain of.


 

“Ms. Yang, please do you work,” Mr. Jung interrupted her daydreaming.


 

Another heavy sigh escapes again and she starts doing her work. Looking at all the problems, she stares at it dumbfounded … “what the hell are these?” she whispers… “We learnt this today?”


 

.

.

.


 

Sighing again, she could only stare at the worksheet dumbfounded. This is awfully what you get from not listening and paying attention to class. She could ask the teacher for help, but unfortunately … that wouldn’t be a good idea either. She looks around and hesitantly desire to ask her other classmates since it seems that they’re more busy than her.


 

Now what? She doesn’t know what to do with the worksheet and all, so now she has to deal with another “independent study” herself. “WHY THE HECK AM I IN AP CALCULUS ANYWAY?!” she screams in her head. It’s torture!


 

“Jae! Jae!” she hears her name. Looking at the direction, she finds her dance crew friend Jimin waving at her. A slight grin appears on her face and she waves a hi back. “Come here! We can work in groups and stuff!” he says. But sadly the dude sits at the other side of the classroom, and Jae has always been that lazy person. Although it may just take her ten to fifteen steps to reach her destination… Laziness always overpower her.


 

She let out another heavy sigh and hesitantly thought … *should I go there? It’s too far … and I also have to bring all these materials with me… and that’s a lot of work.* Unfortunately, Jimin knows that look very well. He stands up and signals Taehyung to help him. They both approach Jae, who’s still in the midst of her lazy thoughts, Taehyung grabs her bag while Jimin takes the stuff on her table. “You can walk, weight free!” Jimin whispers.


 

Jae smiles and follows the two. “Man, you’re the laziest person I have ever met Jae,” Taehyung says with a short laugh. Jae leans forward to Taehyung with a happy smile and says, “I love you too Taehyung ah~”


 

Jimin seeing the interaction flicks Jae on the forehead, “don’t just say “i love you too” to random person!”


 

Taehyung gasps. “I’m not just ‘random person’! I’m V! I’ve known Jae longer than you, you poophead!” They exchange glares somehow. Jae could only snicker and have the two teach her the lesson terrible, but she gets it somehow. Only somehow.


 

.

.

.


 

The day went on like usual. After AP Calculus, she goes to Advance English Second Language, then to AP Literature .. then lunch. Lunch went like usual: The whole crew hangs out at the same old table, laughing and telling jokes… some being erted or incredibly annoying, one blasting music really loud and others just lamely rapping freestyle or dancing, all while eating food. Then afterwards, go to Honors Anatomy, to a free period and ending the day with Film Production.


 

“Okay, this week’s topic is Sky. For this project, make sure you just don’t film your topic like it’s everywhere. Your last project was extremely terrible with the exception of the few. Seriously you guys, when I say the topic was about wheels, I didn’t want you guys to give videos about wheels and some weird cliche, supposedly inspiring meaningless descriptions about wheels! You all ought to expand your creativity and be real! This is a film class, you’re capturing moving pictures for the sake of your memories! So this project is due in a month! So you all better exceed my expectation!” Ms. Kang exclaimed.


 

The class was silent… and yet, it continued to be like that when everyone discussed their strategy. Jae stares at her computer screen thinking … not entirely, more like thinking of food and sleep. Meanwhile, her cousin begins looking through google and videos in vimeo for some inspiration and stuffs like that. Almost everyone in the room are the doing the same thing.


 

Minutes later, Jae stands up and grab a camera in the closet, and sign herself out of the classroom with the permission card.


 

The song play loudly in her ears, just as usual, as she walks to the soccer field to the bench, where the sky is fully expose to her camera lens. There’s no inspiration for her so far… she just wants to take pictures and film…


 

Laying down on the cold bench, she starts filming the sky … Lucky for her, some birds flew right above her (but she was afraid they might poop on her) … but something else …


 

She hears a loud thud and felt it too. Someone has kick the bench she was laying down on the bleacher. Jae took a sit, capturing every moment with the lens … “Hey, kiddo you’re not allowed here,” the boy said. Jae stops the recording. But unfortunately, Jae couldn’t hear him. She likes the song playing right now and there’s no way she’s going to pause it and talk to this rude person.


 

But the camera is still right in front of Jae’s face, and she starts capturing the dude’s face and stuff. Noticing it, he let out surprise expressions, irritated ones and trying to dodge it away. “Stop taking pictures of me and get out of here,” he said, meanly. Jae ignored it, well she can’t help it .. she’s deaf as of right now. Finally, he reach towards the camera, she captured it. “I said stop.” He covered the camera lens and direct it towards the ground. There he meet her eyes, behind those glasses, the sun emitting lights towards it making it look like a very light chocolate brown. Immersed by it, he didn’t realize what he was doing. Jae smack his hand and his head with hers.


 

He stumble down to the bench in pain. “Yah! I don’t own this camera you fool. If this break, I’m gonna hold you responsible and sue for violating property rights!” Jae yells at him. He flinch.


 

“Yah! I’m the one who should be suing you for violating privacy!” he scammed back. They both at each other.


 

The music stops and Jae takes her earphones out, “What’d you say?!” Surprise at her rude attitude, he flicks her forehead. But then Jae catch his hand and stares … After a short pause, “who are you?”


 

He doesn’t wear their uniform, nor she had seen him around… He’s in casual clothing and yet why was he in school property? “You don’t go here…” she claims. The surprise, busted look on his face made her smirk. Noticing it, he stands up and made a run for it.


 

While running, Jae capture him and smirk.


 

.

.

.


 

After running for more than a mile, finally he rested. Man, that sure was tiring. He was only trying to explore the school he’s bound to go for this year. Aish, just because of that girl, he went and exercise!


 

His phone starts ringing and it was his father. Sighing heavily, he pick it up, “hello pa?”


 

“Jeongguk, where have you been? Just running away like that,” his dad said.


 

“Pa, you know I’m not interested in your engineering business, so why?” Jeongguk whines.


 

He hears his dad sigh, “because you ungrateful child! They’re here to make plans for your the stinking dance studio you freaking wanted!”


 

Jeongguk froze. “Oh.” was all he could say.


 

“Yeah! So HURRY UP AND GET YOUR IN HERE !!! THEY’RE WAITING PATIENTLY FOR YOU!” With that, he runs…


 

After the meeting, he thanks his dad in a very much cuddly mode for the dance studio. He has always wanted a dance studio. He has a recording studio too… but with the dance studio, he can invite his friends over and just have fun dancing around.


 

Meanwhile, while eating dinner with the family … some discussion about the new school occur. “So, honey … Tomorrow is your first day of school! Are you excited?” his mom said. Jeongguk nods.


 

“Make sure to attend your class regularly and not be influence by girls,” his dad said, making Jeongguk blush.


 

“Pa! I have no plans for girls this year! Please … let’s not talk about my love life,” he begs.


 

His mom giggles, “why not Gukkie? Don’t you want a girlfriend?” He blushes.


 

“It’s normal for boys to hit on girls Jeongguk, just make sure you don’t delude yourself to the wrong girl,” his dad said.


 

Jeongguk feeling weird and awkward with these conversation, “why are we talking about my love life? I moved to three different schools before and this is the first time you talk about your love life with me… It’s scaring me.”


 

His parent laughs. “I know you guy’s are rich and have some fancy businesses unlike other parents… but you guys aren’t thinking of any sudden arrange marriage for your own benefits right?” His parents laugh again.


 

“Gukkie, do you think we’re that kind of parents? Of course not,” his mom said. “We’re telling you this because finally we’re settling in one place and now you’re probably more bound to fall for someone without any concern of leaving them. Find a girl to love, it’s okay.”


 

Jeongguk just nods. Really, why are they having this kind of conversation?


 

.

.

.


 

Jeongguk plays his radio out loud with some hip hop music.  He lays down his bed while staring at the model of his new dance studio. He couldn’t be anymore excited!   But then something crawled into his head … Those chocolate brown eyes…  


 

He has seen girls’ eyes before … but never were they that enticing. Is that the right descriptive word to explain it? Maybe not… But they were …  He doesn’t really remember what she looks like but he knows her eyes… Maybe they’ll meet each other in school …


 

But all of a sudden, frustration and irritation crawled under his skin just thinking about her again… Why is he suddenly thinking of her?! He doesn’t even know her name and what exactly she looks like because of that sticking camera…. Besides, he thinks she’s extremely annoying. With that attitude so rude …  she knew he was talking to her and yet she dared not take her earphones off!  Man… so unfeminine.


 

Jeongguk close his eyes and distracted himself with his dance studio.  This year … he’s settling in one place and that seems like a relief to him. He doesn’t need to worry about moving and all, although he’s still a bit far away from his actual friends...He doesn’t have to worry about distancing himself from some people because  creating such a close relationship would only result to painful goodbyes. He doesn’t like those feeling, although he never actually felt them.


 

But now he has to deal with actually making friends and actually getting use to his surroundings… Wow. Just wow. It shouldn’t be hard … But then he has to deal with girls for the rest of the year.




 

Then he thinks again… He doesn’t have one single friends and they’re probably gonna think he’s a nerd since he advanced some of his class especially Math due to studying abroad… Now what?


 

Morning flashes like the speed of light and the next thing he knows, he’s standing in front of the school gate, people already staring at him and girls checking him out.


 

“Oh my gosh… He’s cute. Who is he?”

“Is he new here?”

“Oh my … Maybe we should befriend him… He’s cute…”


 

Ya, Ya, Ya, he doesn’t care, in fact he doesn’t want their friendship if it’s only for his amazing looks. Jeongguk takes a big sigh and makes a step forward.  This is it!  


 

“Everyone hush your noisy mouths and pay attention! We have a new student and he’s a junior, so have some respect and welcome one of your nerds ,” Mr. Jung introduced. Jeongguk flinched at his new teacher’s introduction for him, he even heard their laughs. But as soon as he stepped in the room, all became silence … “And girls calm your and set your bums down on your chairs. Come in Jeong Guk and formally introduced yourself.”


 

He goes in front of the class already being admired and envy. He bows ninety degree respectfully and comes back up with a flashy smile that made almost every girl in the room swoon and faint. “Hi, my name is Jeon Jeong Guk, am a junior and currently 16 years old. Please take good care of me.”  


 

With that, Mr. Jung pats Jeong Guk on the back and with a grin said, “bad suggestion at the ending flower boy. These girls will torture you.”  Jeong Guk can only slightly smile in awkwardity. “Anyway, this class isn’t full of juniors but mostly seniors, so only a small amount of students who share the same age as yours are present here, nerd.”  Jeong Guk only slightly smile again. Why does this teacher have to call him a nerd? He didn’t choose to be in AP Calculus…? HE didn’t choose to be smart.  Smart chose him.


 

“Anyway, we have tons of seats available but according to your transcripts you will be seating near the back,” Mr. Jung said. Jeong Guk let out a hidden victory smile. The back! Jackpot! “There’s an available seat over there next to Jae so sit,” he said and pointed at the direction.


 

Jeong Guk obeys order and goes there. He notice that the person he’s sitting next to is a girl… wearing a sleeping mask and music obviously blasting through her earphones… Really, there’s students like this ? In this class? And Mr. Jung seems to not mind…


 

However, Jeong Guk spoke too soon… “YAH! YANG JAE YI!” he yells and throws his marker towards her, hitting the bullseye. Jeong Guk flinch in awe and surprise. His teacher really is something.


 

Jeongguk looks back to the teacher and the student back and forth with dumbfounded look. The student grunts loudly and takes her earphones off, “Aish, Jae! If you’re gonna sleep do it during break!” Mr. Jun says. “Wake up, lesson’s bout to start!” Jeong Guk continues to stare at the student as she slowly and annoyingly takes the sleeping mask off her face. There reveal that familiar glasses and eyes…


 

Feeling the stares and ignoring some of the laughs and snickers from her classmates… There another eye contact from the same people occurs. Silence overtook the two. Jeong Guk’s eyes widen and surprise… Really?! She was the girl from yesterday…


 

Awkward.


 

.

.

.


 

Lesson begins and Jeong Guk distracts himself from that thought. He wonders if she tattletaled on him from yesterday… But no one has contacted him or his parents so maybe not. That’s good.


 

The day continues to him. He wonders if she’s a junior or a senior… At first he thought she was a freshman… Round face, short hair with a side bangs… medium size rectangular glasses … Short height … Big eyes … A Kid…


 

“Hi!” someone cheeked up next to Jeong Guk which gave him goosebumps and a scare. “Oppa! I’m a junior, perhaps we have the same class together? May I see your schedule?” she said. Jeong Guk examines this girl. Diamond small face, chinky eyes with eye liner, blushed cheeks, pale skin and permed hair… She was obviously a popular chick… especially with the guys eyeing him with envy.


 

Jeong Guk let out a silent sigh and hands the girl his schedule, he did need help… The school didn’t provide him any tour guide. Looking around, his eyes catch Jae again walking in between two guys who are apparently eye candies. Girls are swooning and whispering about them while they walk pass. Seems that that kiddo has popular friends as well.


 

Anyway, “Oppa! You have vocal and dance?” she asked quite surprise and eyes full admiration. *Oh no,* he thought with a heavy sigh. Another popular chick already in love with him. “I have them too! We’re in the same class, except English Language…” she pouted. Jeong Guk sighed in relief.


 

The next bell ring and time to go to the second class.


 

.

.

.


 

So far, Jeong Guk’s day has been well… And he made “friends” easier than he thought. Lots of people (mostly girls) were nice to him… but teachers makes  him peculiarly even more welcome since they seem to be more honest to him. They called him nerd and flower boy… they express their thoughts about him straight forwardly and he likes it like that.


 

Lunch finally comes and the girl who introduced herself as Hyo Myung Ji keeps on following him like his special tail… Everyone keeps on eyeing him… Really, this girl is too cheerful and bright… But it was so obvious to Jeong Guk how she keeps glaring at the other girls trying to approach him.


 

“Hey, I’m just going to buy me a drink… No need to follow me everywhere. You already toured me around school so I know my way around now. Thank you,” he flash his ever so brightly and swooning smile to her. She obviously blush and nods…


 

“But oppa, you got no official friends yet. I’ll stay with you for the whole day if you want! We do have the last periods together, Vocal and Dance,” she insist.


 

Jeong Guk annoyingly smiles… How can he get away from this girl. She’s not bad but unfortunately with her around, making friends would be difficult… Guys wouldn’t like her and girls wouldn’t too as well… To be honest, Jeong Guk doesn’t want to stick with too popular chicks… He really just wants to be separated by this girl.


 

“So oppa! I will just st--” Myung Ji was cut off when Jae appears out of nowhere grabbing Jeong Guk’s collar dragging him out of the hallway. “Oppa? Ya, Jae-ssi!!”


 

Jae looks back to Myung Ji popping the lollipop in out with her hands, “ya?”


 

Myung Ji crosses her arms… Jeong Guk just stands next to Jae with his collar still in her other open hand, “what do you think you’re doing bullying Jeong Guk oppa?”


 

Jae stares at Jeong Guk then back to Myung Ji. “This guy owes me food for yesterday so…” she said. Jeong Guk shockingly looks at her, *what food?!* And then continually drags him out, ignoring Myung Ji’s voice echoing repeatedly in the hallway.


 

.

.

.


 

Jeong Guk freely buys his drink while awkwardly stealing glances of Jae who’s completely immerse in her music and that sleeping mask around her neck… while she just eats the sandwich he bought her… They stand there in silence.


 

Then Jimin and Taehyun appears out of nowhere. “There you are !!!” Jimin exclaimed and ruffles Jae’s hair. “We’ve been looking for you!” he continued.


 

Jeong Guk meet eyes with Taehyung. “Hey, you’re that new flower boy nerd kid in our class,” he states. Jeong Guk stares. *This guy looks weird in some ways… He looks like some kind of animal…* he thought.


 

Taehyun flash a nice and cheerful smile and reach for Jeong Guk’s hand, shaking it enthusiastically. “HI! I’m Taehyung! A senior! You’re sucha cutie you know and tall,” he said. For some reason, Jeong Guk was weirded out and blushing. Never met a guy to just straightforwardly call him cute like that...


 

Jimin immediately push Taehyung’s face away and say, “man you’re so gaay.” Then he turns to Jeong Guk with a smile. *This guy … seems charming … and cute* Jeong Guk thought, he quickly shake that thought away. “Anyway, I’m Jimin. Senior too. This is my friend, Jae Yi but call her Jae. She’s a senior as well but a year younger than us,” Jimin said. “She’s one of those nerds…”


 

Before Jimin can say more, Jae has grab his collar pulling him back. Jae leans forward to Jeong Guk’s height with suspicious looks… “What?” he asked her.


 

Finally she backs away, “you are him. The guy from yesterday…” she said then walked away. That’s it… Jimin and Taehyung follows her. “See you later bud,” Jimin said. “Ya, bye cutie pie,” Taehyung pinches Jeong Guk’s cheek.

Unconsciously, “Ya Kiddo,” Jeong Guk calls out and Jae unconsciously turns around.


 

A glare was obvious in Jae’s eyes… Jimin and Taehyung backs away. “Did you just call me kiddo?” she said and approach Jeong Guk.


 

“I did,” he approach her. Before he even knows it, she grab his neck tie and smack her forehead to his. “Kiddo my ,” she tells him and walks away…


REALLY?!?! HE JUST WANTED TO THANK HER!!!! “That kiddo,” he murmurs in pain.