22 S E O K G A 22

Panta Rhei

                Creaks moaned out from below the deck, the long ship tilting to the left, then swinging back to the right while its crew remained stationary like components of the boat itself. The crew, though loud and boisterous as any, were muffled by the waves crashing against the sides and the winds pushing the billowing sails toward the homeland still not in sight. Ravi sat huddled in the crow’s nest of the mizzenmast, books of notes open in his lap being studied over once more against all commotion beneath him. The wind that escaped the clutches of the worn sails of the ship’s end cooled his face against the blazing sun that had toiled on them for weeks, the masts shading him from the beams of light that would have made this spot too bright for his comfort. Luckily, he had learned of this spot early on their trip to Haepali and even began charting their voyage in his books and maps up here. Now, he just sat reviewing the passages he had written over the many days reluctantly sailing back. The first few described his general observations of the flora and weather, recalling the thick and unrelenting forest that still hadn’t really left him. Further into the pages were the remaining unanswered questions and theories about the lingering strange memories of the island, the biggest being the indigenous boy still unconscious in his quarters.

                Ravi hadn’t trusted anyone to watch over the boy, who might as well have been considered a captive at this point, so he kept him in his room during the voyage back. No one would dare enter his quarters unless they wanted to be thrown overboard, making it the safest place for such a liability to his mission. At least, this was the sort of intimidation Ravi still hoped he held over both his and the ship’s team. For now, he kept one of his own, higher-ranked men guarding the door only Ravi had the key to, minding his own affairs in the midst of the whipping sails and ropes that had little care from its selfish handlers. Now, the secluded youth lowered his brow and bit his cheek, stumped at any explanations for the boy’s origins, his people, or what they were even doing before he had intervened. Remembering his naïve intrusion made him squirm in his seat and look away from his book toward the ocean behind, crushed waves layering into a smooth plane no longer disturbed by his vassal. He knew better than to do what he did, to disturb such an unknown and undocumented people, Hongbin had taught him so well in the past, but apparently he should have remained under his tutelage longer. This was ultimately a mistake, and Ravi knew this, but he had just a smidge of hope that this boy would somehow be of interest to Hongbin, whom he couldn’t bear disappointing. Nevertheless, there was no turning back now and all Ravi could do was speculate for the meantime.

                All those taking part in the ceremony seemed to be male, though Ravi could hardly confirm this and no sense really came from it. The language was indistinguishable from his own, and though they seemed to have no contact with the outside world until now, their features and mannerisms were much alike the people of his home. Perhaps they had left from Mireuk long ago, right around the time of the great split between north and south, Ravi thought. Though, he quickly rejected the idea since these people lacked any sort of ships that could carry them across such rough waters and such a fair distance. If they had any ships, then they certainly wouldn’t have let their own drown. This brought Ravi back to the question of the festival that unraveled before him, what was its purpose? Was the young man really to die of his own will in such a joyous manner? Will he ever wake up? Ravi’s pencil tapped in place, refusing to answer the question without proper research. Instead, the boy’s head tilted back, resting on the ledge of the crow’s nest, welcoming the breeze to mess with his tufts of black, unkempt hair while a sigh escaped him. The smell of salt water had already become acquainted with his nose, but he still couldn’t rest with the endless noises emitting from the seagulls circling above. These pesky birds would always swarm the boat during the days, but there was no sign of them come nightfall. Thus the nights always seemed a little lonely to Ravi; even if he couldn’t stand the blaring noise the seagulls made all day, he missed its presence during the dark, eerie nights.

                Lifting his head with a strained neck, he shut his books and rubbed the sore nape, barely finding peace before voices picked up from the front of the ship. The men from the other crow’s nests began calling down to the remaining crew, causing them to scramble around excitedly, tracing the shadows from their winged companions above unknowingly. The sight brought a tiny chuckle to the boy’s face, managing to gather his materials and store them away before climbing down the attached net. By now it was likely they had spotted land ahead, which meant Ravi couldn’t hide away much longer. About time he faced his insubordinate sailors once more.

                “How much farther is the port?” Ravi’s low vocals boomed behind him when he snapped his head back for a mere second before hopping down onto the deck. His hideout had been closest to the helm, just so he could keep an eye on the captain and the poor lad steering under his command. The captain ignored Ravi, leaving another crew member passing by to answer him.

                “Should be three hours, sir.” The captain’s eyes flinched slightly at his subordinate’s politeness to the man he loathed, but Ravi paid no mind and nodded as he readjusted the satchel carrying his books. The VIXX member said nothing else, brushing past the busy men toward his quarters below with a stern expression to keep anyone from stopping him.

                Descending into the lower sections of the ship, sunlight dissolved into the dirty, aching wooden beams supporting the deck, the sound of bustling boots above echoing all around. More members of VIXX occupied this area, since they had no purpose above and work still to be finished, so there were no swears or shouting as there were around the sailors. His men were much more refined, and even if he didn’t completely trust them, they were more comfortable to be around. The ship was longer than it was wide, so it took Ravi some time to make it toward his room guarded at the end of the tiny hall. As he approached, the guard dipped his hat lower and stepped away, not looking up once as his superior moved his key into the hole and entered quietly, only after one remark, “We’ll reach the city in hours, get the men ready to go.” With a nod, the man rushed down the hall and Ravi shut the door behind him, immersing himself in the dull silence of his room accompanied by the slow tempo of the ship’s creaking as it shifted side to side.

                Dropping his bag onto his desk chair, as the tiny desk was already filled with maps and tools for his charts, the man couldn’t help but stare at the stranger sleeping in his bed like he was dead. Ravi knew he wasn’t dead though, because between the creaks of the ship he could hear the faint breath of the boy, delicate and perfectly steady. Ravi never slept in this room while the boy occupied it, insisting on taking one of the free beds in his team’s much more compact bunks, but did visit him on occasion to give him water or food. Now, the boy rested in only his tanned skirt one of his men had retrieved before they left, draped between his thighs as he was laid on his back. Bothered by a need to care for his well-being, Ravi moved closer and pulled a blanket up, covering his helpless body with the worn, albeit itchy, white fur. Ravi and Hongbin had discovered the furs during their excavations south, linking them to the mysterious Pulgasari from a history long ago, making them highly valuable in trade. Only the wealthy elite owned such furs, but Ravi had received his as a gift from his leader for his impeccable work. So generous, Ravi thought when he had received such a beautiful and priceless gift, that he didn’t deserve such humility yet. Ravi promised himself he would become a man worthy of such a gift, of such generosity and affection from the man he admired so much, and now all he could think of was how terrible a leader he had been during this mission. Frowning as he settled the fur around the boy, Ravi’s fingers grazed his powerless body, enticed suddenly by the smoothness of his sun-kissed skin. The bright fur left his sleeping body glowing, as if completely pure in contrast to everyone Ravi had previously met. His frown softening, his eye traced across what skin was showing until it reached the other’s serene face. Now that Ravi had gotten a better look at the boy, he realized just how soft his cheeks were, the perfect curve his lips formed, and the shimmering black locks resting so softly across his forehead. The boy may have been strange to Ravi, but he was in some way completely captivating; a face suitable for a woman or a man, skin stretched across his body without a wrinkle, scar, or mole (considering his previous environment), and a form that moved so elegantly it was easy for Ravi to get caught up in the vivid memory. Gracing his fingertips over the other’s skin back onto the fur, the stern leader had cocked his head to the left and smiled as if perplexed. “It really does suit you well.”

                Pulling his hands back to his person, Ravi stood straight, hunched slightly over the rickety bed while the power from the ocean pushed the boat further to the right. His body moving with the ship, the leader stepped away to his desk to roll up the maps and charts in preparation. Storing the scrolls of paper in a nearby trunk, he laid the tools for recording data, compasses, and the like in a net hanging from the lid. Shutting it tightly, Ravi paused and glanced back toward the bed, worried for an instant that his actions were too loud and might wake his guest. However, he came to his senses and realized the mere thud of a trunk wouldn’t wake the boy and pushed down on the top with his palms, securing the locks with his thumbs. After the clasps clicked into place, a few knocks came from the door followed by a muffled call.

                “Sir, we’re moving everything onto the deck now.” Ravi turned his head to face the door before lugging the trunk with him to it. Opening the door, he pushed the trunk out into the hall where the man lifted it without a command. Ravi didn’t speak up either, but cleared out more books and fixated his bag over his shoulder.

                As turned to leave with the case, Ravi called out, “Bring a stretcher down too, I’ll need the boy to leave with me when we dock. The man nodded, the brim of his hat hiding his expression from his commander’s sight while he trudged down the hall, maneuvering around the others carrying bags and trunks from their rooms and heading the same direction. Ravi on the other hand stayed in his quarters, pacing around the room and collecting his clothes and belongings into another trunk before sending it out again. The only thing left to deal with was the sleeping beauty behind him, who he’d only move once they had arrived. Ravi sat at his emptied desk and waited, leaning on the back of his chair and brushing his fingers through his matted hair while his eye remained on the other’s chest rising and falling under the fur.

                The sun had just moved past its highest point in the sky when the ship had arrived to Seokga after its unfortunate short trip. Men were rushing off the decks with baggage and crates of materials for the ship, followed by VIXX members carefully, but nothing less than swiftly, transferring their own trunks and crates of materials, charts, and flora from the island onto carts nearby. The carts had been brought to the pier as soon as the ship was in sight of the domestic members, now leaving in a rush back to their headquarters, leaving only a handful of Ravi’s team left to take him back in his own gama sent by Hongbin. The gama wasn’t embellished intricately like Hongbin’s had been, in fact it was one of the simplest ones, dark with red tassels dangling from around the top, for the lowest of government officials. Though, the idea behind it and the respect it carried really touched Ravi, who now only felt himself unworthy to ride it upon his return. Instead, the commander brought out the unconscious boy on a stretcher and, cupping his motionless body in his arms, lifted him into the gama, settling his body into the cushion and settling the white fur over his lap. It was here that Ravi seemed to catch a glimpse of the boy’s pale rings around his wrists, but shook off the thought and shut the small panel door. Taking lead of gama, the rest of his team and him gripped the rods on each of their sides and lifted the small carriage to their waists. In synchronization, they left toward the center of the city that had dominated Seokga: the walled grand pavilion that housed their organization.

                The city of Hondon was rested in the southwestern edge of the country, in the heart of Jekil province that had thrived since the development of VIXX as an economic center. The plains had made farming boom within the last century as an efficient trading system had been introduced, almost 500 years since the land had first been cultivated for subsistence living. Since the boom, VIXX had developed and grown exponentially in power under Hongbin, who had found the means to expand the city’s economic endeavors to more than just reaped harvests. Now, the streets were crowded with homes that doubled as independent shops, markets at every corner bustling with entrepreneurs seeking fortune, and men of all sorts of trades that were in demand with the innovations and products introduced by Hongbin’s organization. Though his organization had grown and thrived in the heart of the country, his influence still had yet to match that of the royal families hidden away in the mountains, overseeing and enjoying the benefits of their country’s progress. Loyalties remained strong to the families who held both political and religious power, but had certainly diminished ever since the mysterious death of the young descendent of Cheonsanshin’s lover years prior, completely destroying the bloodline. The death of such a young girl, secluded in her most guarded and sacred mountains certainly shocked everyone in Seokga, but it only left those remaining to wonder just how necessary the elite were.

                Ravi and his assistants turned a sharp corner, pushing through a thick crowd auctioning some rare jewels from abroad, that the boy knew all too well to be worthless, common gems, and approached the gates of the intimidating stone walls surrounding what he called home. The doors were already open, as members from his team were still arriving with their crates and bags, but the guards still inspected everyone that came near. There were plenty of cases of thieves getting past and taking some collective valuables, but in recent years Hongbin had tightened his security. It was probably due to how crowded the city had become, but his mentor’s mind was an unreadable one. The two men at the right gate looked over Ravi’s team, patting them down and asking a few questions, but had recognized their mission leader instantly and let him be. The gama went without inspection, since Ravi had been carrying it, and the group entered the vast brick entrance that lead to the pavilion, busied with men rushing across on their own orders. Shuffling past the many workers recording and moving the incoming cargo, Ravi headed over the tiny stone bridge that led to the main entrance of the building, his arms straining to carry the gama any further when they had turned and stopped before the wooded steps. Lowering the carriage, Ravi rubbed his arms as he was greeted by a local official.

                “Ravi! We didn’t expect to see you again so quickly.” The hint of superiority was clear in his voice. “You had a valuable trip then I presume?” The man was years older than the man he was on the verge of patronizing, but on about the same level of administrative power as him. That is to say, though Ravi and he had similar responsibilities, he couldn’t say he knew the man well enough. In fact, Ravi couldn’t even recall his name in comparison to the others below them both. The man was shorter with dark hair that matted at its edges, strung back into a ponytail that was hidden beneath a much more decorated hat than the rookies in the ranks. His words formal and polite, his body was slouched underneath the layers of robes, saggy pants, and loosened sash that hung beneath his waist. Most of the men of the higher levels dressed in a similar manner, but Ravi couldn’t help to think little of the example before him.

                Nonetheless, the younger of the two kept face and nodded, eyes darting toward the carts being unloaded a distance away, then back to the curious figure. “I found many… interesting things.” The boy’s face rose to look past his acquaintance to the building, his men who had helped him with transport gone to aid the others with their duties. “Is Hongbin…”

                The other’s lips twitched into a loaded smile, quickly hidden a well-mannered expression. “Hongbin is in, just busy at the moment. He couldn’t greet you so I came in his stead.” The idea that this man before him could replace Hongbin annoyed Ravi, but he only quietly nodded. “I’m surprised to find you carrying your own gama though. I suppose you’ve always been obstinate about carrying one’s weight.”

                “I appreciate the thought, but I,” Pausing briefly, he suddenly found it difficult to explain such a strange situation. “I found a better use for it.” Smoothing his hand over the top, his thumb brushing past the ends of the tassels, he stared at the other and made a stern address. “Clear a room if you will, we have a guest.” Clearing his throat, he waved over two of his team and led the man away as he tried to get a glimpse of the person inside the small compartment. “I hope you may show me to Hongbin, there’s something I need to discuss with him.”

 

                The sound of paper turning in a book broke the ongoing silence of Hongbin’s study. This room was where he had held meetings and his collection of extremely rare goods and books. The man practically lived in this space when he wasn’t on excavations, trips, or the like, so it was only natural for Ravi to be shown to this room out of the many on the property. After a brief knock and introduction, the boy slid the door open cautiously, shutting it behind him before he approached the man who had grinned when he lifted his face from his books.

                “It’s been so long, Ravi. Your presence was dearly missed.” The man stood up, his charisma and presence leaving Ravi in paralysis. Walking around his lowered table and mats, the founder of VIXX strode over to give the boy a soft embrace. The hilt of the sword Hongbin always had at his side prodded the boy’s side, but Ravi returned the hug without complaint.

                Breaking away, Ravi struggled to smile innocently as he had used to, trying to keep his mannerly pride and hide his troubled mind before the man he both feared and admired most. “As was yours.” Bowing lowly, Hongbin turned away with his smile drawn into a smirk and returned to his spot behind the table covered in letters, papers, books, and ink. Rising to face the man, Ravi hesitantly took a seat opposite his boss and swallowed a lump in his throat, fists clenched tightly in his lap. Back straight, his spine tingled when Hongbin had called his name with a lifted chin and suspicious tone.

                “Did the island scare you that much? Did the animals do you any damage?” Though Hongbin was concerned about the success of the mission, he was also honestly worried about his trusted associate’s well-being too. With no answer, the leader exhaled and softened his tone more, “How many men did you lose?”

                “None. There were no casualties.” Ravi’s deep voice clashed with Hongbin’s higher tone that doubled as both demanding and caring simultaneously. Hongbin’s entire appearance was like this; his face was so finely shaped and his posture so matured and maintained that he was welcoming, but his expressions were so naturally formidable. Accompanied by his sharp dress and sleek, black hair that fell over one eye, the man had covered his right eye with an embroidered silk band much like Ravi under the long bangs, the rest of his hair cut short to reveal his long neck. No one had seen the man in any other way except when in the spring water to bathe, but even in these circumstances no one dared bother him in fear of being reprimanded for intruding in the man’s private affairs. The only features of him that seemed to make the man more human were his wide smiles that revealed his gleaming white teeth and his delicate hands that were always either gracing over papers or wielding his precious sword with an unmatched skill. Otherwise, Hongbin was a figure that was beyond comparison to those around him, and Ravi specifically knew this from the first moment he saw his mentor, idol, and savior.

                “There also weren’t any animals.” Raising his head to face the man questioning him, he was met with a dark eye shaded with a lowered brow, lips moved into neither a frown nor smile.

                Biting the inside of his lip only slightly, Hongbin sighed through his nose and looked away to the side thinking these words over. Glancing back at Ravi, he made a suggestion, “None on the entire island? Certainly you covered the entire premises.” These failed expectations made the younger squirm in his seat.

                While he readjusted, he lowered his head in regret and apology. “I’m sorry Hongbin, we could only cover half the land before…”

                “What was the issue?”

                Ravi’s eyes beamed up, then back down to his fingers curling further into his palms. “The ship captain had caused trouble and forced us to leave early.”

                Everything was quiet for a moment while Hongbin watched Ravi hang his head low in penance, leaning back while excusing the poor experience. “I see.”

                “But,” The naïve boy was overcome with a need to prove the trip wasn’t a complete failure and spoke up, his voice close to cracking in his interruption. “On our last venture into the island, we found… people.” Now, Ravi faced his elder, unsure of what to expect.

                Hongbin stared back at him with an unreadable face, his eyes frozen with a deep shade of mystery. When nothing was said, Ravi continued, “It was by my fault, but we’ve brought one with us. He’s fallen unconscious and has yet to wake up—“

                “Show me.” Hongbin commanded and stood up, already heading toward the doorway while Ravi nervously jumped up and rushed ahead, opening the door for them both and leading the way toward the room the sleeping boy was being kept. His mind was rushing at the speeds unknown to him, which he struggled to not show as they moved through the wooden halls.

                Not long were they at the unguarded door, Ravi sliding it open as quietly as he could and moving for his superior to enter and make his way toward the mat the boy was resting on. After shutting the door with a dull thud from the wooden panels, the younger boy inched closer next to Hongbin who was merely staring down at the body by his feet. Crouching by the stranger’s side, Ravi felt the edge of the wool blanket covering him, silently wishing the men he had called to take the boy in had kept the white fur with him.

                “What did you learn of him?” The familiar voice of Ravi’s superior was coated in intrigue, but his eye stared down at the unconscious figure with an underlying intimidation.

                “Nothing. There was a strange ceremony we happened upon and then,” The boy’s eye blinked away, removing his fingers from the blanket back toward his own body. “I saved him from drowning. There were others, but they ran away and this one remained out of it before we could even communicate with them.”

                “They’re from the island?” Hongbin was clear in his words the answers he wanted, but the reasons for his inquiries were beyond Ravi’s understanding.

                “That’s what I’m assuming.” Ravi felt a weight being lifted from his shoulders, finding himself less tense with Hongbin’s lack of any reaction. “We won’t know for sure until he wakes, and if we can find a way to understand him. From what I heard during the ceremony, their language is far different from ours.”

                Hongbin had turned away to leave at the end of his subordinate’s claims, calling back before he slid the door open, “Keep a good watch over him and inform me if he wakes.” Ravi followed the man with his eye as he closed the door, his shadow moving along the panel and gradually disappearing as he turned and left down another hallway further down. It took a moment for the boy to process what had happened; his mind’s biggest torment and concern had just played out much better than he could have ever imagined. Oddly enough, Ravi felt happy with Hongbin’s simple response, though there was a deeper seed of anxiety growing in him.

                His heels growing weaker from supporting his weight beneath him, Ravi began to push himself up when his foot slipped from under him. How he had been so clumsy, he thought in the moment, until he realized his foot had been pulled from under him. Before he could even recognize that his ankle had been gripped tightly by a forceful hand, his back was against the wooden floor, a thud sounding from beneath him, followed by two more at his sides from knees that were not his own. Eye widened in surprise, Ravi found himself short of breath when he looked up at the boy who was just unconscious next to him now straddled over his lap and pinning his arms to the ground. His face inches from Ravi, he examined his captor with disconcerting eyes, his breath hitting Ravi’s trembling face.

 


A/N: Sorry for the delay everyone! I've been busy with school and had to reignite my interest in writing this. But here you go, finally Hongbin is introduced! Trust me, he will become more involved soon and the other members will definitely show up in the story eventually too. If you haven't noticed already, I'm trying to incorporate various traditional Korean images, novelties, what have you as well as mix in references to VIXX themselves. In this chapter I've included the gama and some ship terminology that I hope don't become too confusing. I didn't make an Author's Note for the first chapter, so I'd like to mention that a Pulgasari is a beast from Korean myth as well, and since it's brought up again here I might as well point out I'm taking some creative freedom with it. I'm very stubborn about getting a clear image across, so hopefully everything thus far came out alright. The names for places have also taken reference from VIXX and Korean words and figures, but I won't tell you what's what, so you can try and decipher it if you want haha.