00 P R E L U D E 00

Panta Rhei

            Long before any record existed, the Aejik continent had risen from the heavy tides of the eastern seas. Flora of impeccable mounts planted themselves into the body of the earth, welcoming the first breath of creatures that later occupied the same land. It wasn’t much time thereafter when the first traces of the great Humina race could be found. Indeed, it is thanks to these people’s worship of the holy mountain Cheonsan that the earliest remnants of these ancestors could be unearthed. Though the land had welcomed them, the volcano was reluctant upon their approach; an eruption had thrown the inhabitants into chaos and divided the many while devouring a few. The Huminas split among themselves, having already developed quite some distance between them before nature had defined the division, and where some fled north toward the mountains, many more fled south to the uninhabited land later known as Mireuk.

            These people were distinct from those who had left north, as the descendants of a long-forgotten hero who had bathed in the strange light and ensured their survival, turning Mireuk into their rightful homeland. They bore a uniform snake-like symbol on their backs from birth, as a permanent mark of their Baemuishin blood. The Baemuishin heritage allowed for many developed skills and powers that were unseen to their race in its beginnings, though this power had only existed in the founding hero. Since then, there were others who had bathed in the strange light just as their predecessor, but few had become as evolved as he, the one memorable achievement being the discovery of the ancient ruby stone that would pass through the Baemuishin lineage. This gem, prized by its founders, was embedded within the hilt of a sword carefully crafted by several skillful blacksmiths, made the possession of a ruler and soon became a symbol of his power.

            However, the creation of such a beautiful and rare sword brought on the attention of unwise and greedy creatures further south, the Pulgasari. These beasts were as large as five men, with large snouts and matted fur that covered them from head to toe and who had not yet learned enough to walk on two legs, but crawled on their hands and feet. The Pulgasari were simple creatures with a ravenous appetite for metal, and having left the southernmost of Aejik a wasteland, they had migrated north to Mireuk, where they had met with the Baemuishin descendants. The sacred sword had enticed them and for a long time the beasts had tortured and devastated the people of the south, until finally the current possessor of the coveted sword had led them away. Upon realizing the sword was the aims of the creatures, the man moved south to the Jagun island while he encouraged his people move north toward the Jechun plains. The man and creatures were never heard from again, and the land of Mireuk was lost by the Baemuishin people for centuries, leaving the race to further wither away among the growing power of the Sansaram.

            The Sansaram descended from the refugees in the north, who had now grown in great numbers and villages. They had all lived under one leading figure, an interpreter for the mountain god whom they had continued to worship, and who had developed an entirely new veneration for their ruler and her teachings. She had grown closer to the god Cheonsanshin than any Humina emotion could describe, and she preached a resentment to sin and impurities. In return, they had been granted with rich soil for farming and a beautiful, strong metal Rovix, and lived in continuous peace and prosperity for centuries. It was as their numbers grew, and a disposition to purity, that the elite bloodline of the former orator of Cheonsanshin had found trouble; famine and disease struck the villages for the first time and sent the Sansaram into a panic. The leader, unsure himself of what to do, had convinced the oracles and thus the people that such punishments were the fault of dirtier, sinful people. For the first time, the Sansaram sought out life outside their own and inevitably found the weakened, cursed line of Baemuishin who had fled to the plains south of Cheonsan.

            The subjugation of the barbaric and impure members of the Baemuishin scattered across the land became eminent, and the Sansaram had not hesitated to use their superior metal to enslave and simultaneously distance them from the Baemuishin. The growing dissent aimed at the people from Mireuk allowed for the elite bloodline of Cheonsanshin’s lover to grow even further in power, until the family became a complete ruling class over both the Sansaram and the Baemuishin. The country of Seokga was finally formed with the family at its head, and the snake-blooded slaves at its bottom. This establishment of such a society is where our real story begins, but the beginning is not the right place to start. Instead, we must move even further in the future, 325 years after this mark in history to an even greater reveal, in the only place left in this world to be explored and documented by an exclusive and infamous organization of researchers and thieves “VIXX” called Haepali.