The wooden doll

PinoKyo

 

It had been three days, and still nothing had happened to the wooden doll. Eric didn’t give up. Every night before he went to bed, he would sit near the window and speak his wish.

“Ahh.” Eric groaned as he woke up the next morning. He felt the right side of his body couldn’t move. “Morning cramps,” he muttered. Then he remembered his wooden doll. He turned to his right, expecting it to be the same. But what he saw made him held his breath. There was something under the blanket next to him. He started to feel scared. He reached his left hand to lift up the blanket. Tired of holding his breath, Eric started breathing, only to let out a sigh.

“Hm?” Eric heard a voice coming from that thing. His heart was beating rapidly, as his mind started to think negative things. What if it’s a bad person? What if it’s a ghost? What if it’s a monster? Then the thing moved again, and Eric saw a head peeked out of the blanket. It was a person! And it was staring at Eric! Eric wanted to scream, but no voice was coming out. “Hi.” The person spoke, blinking his eyes.

“Pretty.” Eric unconsciously muttered while he was looking straight into the eyes.

“What?” The person asked, and Eric quickly covered his mouth. The person was still staring at him.

“Nothing.” Then Eric saw the person pulled down the blanket, to show his face. It was a girl! Eric immediately got off from bed, making him fell on the floor. “Who are you?”

“I don’t know. I don’t have a name yet.” The person replied.

“What are you doing here in my room?” Eric asked, still sitting on the floor.

“I live here.” Eric’s eyes widened. He immediately got up and stared at the person’s face, whose body was still under the blanket.

“Don’t be silly. This is my house. And I don’t know you.” The person giggled, and Eric got even more confused.

“You don’t know me?” Eric blinked his eyes. “I’ve been with you for three days and you don’t know me?”

“I don’t know any girl, and I certainly don’t know you.” Eric put his hands on his waist, and glared at the person.

“You think I’m a girl?” The person laughed. “I’m a boy.”

“Yeah? Show me then!” Then the person got up from bed and walked towards Eric. Eric’s big eyes didn’t leave the person, until the person finally stood right in front of him.

“See? I’m a boy, like you.” The boy smiled.

“But you look too cute to be a boy.” Eric scanned the boy from head to toe.

“Isn’t this what you wished for?” The boy said, and something clicked in Eric’s mind.

“You’re the wooden doll??” The boy laughed seeing Eric’s shocked face.

“Surprise?” Eric nodded.

“That explained you being on the same bed with me.” Eric said, and suddenly blushed. “The wish came true then.” The boy nodded. Eric was still frozen in his spot when the boy leaned closer to him.

“So Eric, why did you wish for me?” Eric’s face blushed even harder seeing the boy’s face so close to his.

“Um… T-to be my f-friend…”  Eric stuttered.

“Well then let’s be friends.” The boy smiled and immediately hugged the frozen Eric. His heartbeat went crazy when their chests touched. For Eric, it was the first time he had ever been hugged by a person his age. “Hey are you okay?” The boy asked, still hugging Eric.

“Y-yes.” The boy chuckled. He then let go of the hug and pulled Eric to sit on the bed.

“So, you don’t have any friends?” Eric shook his head. “Why?”

“I don’t know. No one ever talk to me.” Eric looked down.

“Maybe they think you’re cold.”

“I purposely act cold, so that no one would bully me.”

“But it makes other people afraid of you.”

“What should I do then?”

“Every time you meet a person, especially if you know their names, just smile at them.”

“But I’m shy...”

“You’re cute!” The boy pinched his cheeks.

“I’m a boy. I’m not cute!”

“Just now you said I’m cute. I’m a boy too.”

“But you are cute.” Eric smiled at the boy.

“I know.” The boy giggled. “Hey don’t you have to go to school?”

“Nope. It’s Saturday.”

“That means we have all day.” The boy grinned at Eric.

The two boys talked and laughed for the whole day. Eric was very happy; for it was the first time he ever talked and laughed like that. He now realized what it was like to have a friend.

“Hey, you didn’t tell me your name yet.” Eric suddenly spoke.

“Like I said, I don’t have a name. You’re supposed to give me one.”

“How about P—“

“Pinocchio? Really? You don’t have taste at all.” The boy laughed.

“Then what?”

“You’re my owner. Think one for me.”

“Hm… I’ll just call you Kyo then. Is it okay?” Eric smiled.

“It’s… acceptable.” Kyo smiled back.

“Eric! Dinner!” They heard Eric’s mother calling him from the living room.

“Wait for me. I’ll bring you some food.”

“Please bring more than what you brought for lunch.” Kyo reminded, making Eric laughed.

After dinner, Eric secretly brought food to his room. There, he saw Kyo was lying on his bed, reading a book.

“You know how to read?” Eric asked, putting the plate on the table.

“Just a little.” Kyo closed the book and got up from bed.

“You want me to teach you?”

“Never mind. It won’t be of use anyway.” Eric wanted to ask what he meant by that, but Kyo was already at the table, eating. “This is good.”

“Hurry up and eat. I’m going to take a shower.” Eric left Kyo and went to the bathroom. When he was done, he saw Kyo sleeping on the bed. “Kyo-ya. Wake up.” But the boy didn’t move. “Kyo, I want to sleep too.” The boy then slightly moved to the side, leaving Eric just enough space to lie down. Eric chuckled. He lied down and pulled up the blanket to cover both of them. “Good night Kyo.” Eric closed his eyes to sleep.

“You forget something?” He heard Kyo asked. He opened his eyes and turned to Kyo.

“What? I’m sure I’ve locked the door.” Eric then saw Kyo brought his finger to his cheek, and tapped a few times. Eric blushed. “B-but...” Kyo tapped his cheek harder, and Eric sighed. Eric leaned closer to Kyo, and pecked his cheek. Then he turned to face the other side, to hide his red face and crazily beating heart.

“Thanks Eric. Goodnight.” Kyo immediately fell asleep, while Eric was still trying hard to compose himself. After a while, he too fell asleep.