The Perfect Date

The Perfect Date

A beautiful serene lake. Great, majestic swans were washing downriver, surrounded by lush greenery. A small boat in the middle of the still water, its mirror-like surface only marred by soft ripples caused by soft wind gently blowing.

 

“Hyukkie”

 

“Hae, it’s beautiful.”

 

“The serenity of this place is beautiful, but nothing is more beautiful than you baby.”

 

Hyukjae blushed yet again. So saying, Donghae pulled out a box of chocolate-dipped strawberries and two flutes. Turning around, he put on some music from a mini-radio and took a bottle of strawberry milk from a cooler. Putting on his famous grin, Donghae poured strawberry milk into the glasses and handed one to his beloved.

 

“You prepared all this for me?”

 

“As long as you’re happy, that’s all I need.”

 

Hyukjae was ecstatic. Strawberry milk from a champagne glass, a delicious box full of strawberries to die for, and the most romantic person on Earth sitting right across him, with the dreamiest smile one could think of adorning his face. This was their second date so far, and it was going without a hitch. Beautiful sounds of nature surrounded their little boat, and it filled his senses with refreshment and joy. A great partner, a wondrous location with an ambience dripping with romance.

 

“Say ahh” Donghae held out a strawberry, which Hyukjae blushed at and accepted with a relish.

 

What a great evening.

 

The rest of dusk seeped on with cheerful anecdotes, little teases, small lingering touches and Hyukjae’s giggles. The sun was just hanging on the horizon, the pinkish tinge in the sky giving Hyukjae a lovely glow.

 

Beautiful, Donghae had decided when the gorgeous creature leaned in ever so close to him to hide his little bursts of laughter.

 

It was already near sunset when the happy couple decided to row back to shore and head for a private romantic dinner in a special restaurant, owned by one of Donghae’s close friends.

 

The sky was still clear when they’d reached shore, so it certainly was odd that little drips of rain fell from the sky on their way to the restaurant. But most conveniently, there was a gigantic banana leaf, just enough to cover both shoulders. It was so convenient that neither of the joyful couple bothered to think about the strangeness of a banana leaf in the middle of a bamboo forest. Donghae simply picked up the leaf and draped it over himself and his love. Giggling like retarded children, the two lovesick grown-ups ran quickly towards the restaurant, while Donghae had his arms around Hyukjae all the time; the rain was but an excuse for him to encapture the lithe body in his arms. Falling leaves the the light pitter-patter of raindrops marked the gorgeous moment they both shared as they each stole glances at each other and Donghae pulled Hyukjae ever closer into his embrace.

 

They were so caught up in the moment that neither noticed they’d left the rain long behind them.

 

Upon reaching the restaurant, a very enthusiastic Ryeowook ushered them to a special balcony seat, where they had the perfect view of the sun that was just about to set. A majestic glow in the horizon took their breaths away. The exercise left a pinkish tinge on Hyukjae’s cheeks, and the setting sun illuminated his face, highlighting the prominent cheekbones and the rise and fall of his little chest. Single-lidded eyes half-closed and shaded by the light glow of the just setting sun. The sight took Donghae’s breath away.

 

“Look! The rain stopped on time!”

 

An uncharacteristic smirk graced Donghae’s face. He pulled Hyukjae close to his chest.

 

“Yes, it certainly did.

 


 

“Man! I got at least ten mosquito bites!” A frustrated Siwon grumbled. “Damn Donghae and his stupid ideas of romance.”

 

“I know right, I was promised starcraft!” Kyuhyun followed.

 

“Erm, who’d believe they would play starcraft in the middle of a forest?” Kangin muttered, voice getting softer to the end as a pair of cold, calculating eyes caught his.

 

“Shut up!” Kyuhyun snapped. “Now what do we do? Donghae drove us here.”

 

“Oh Shisus, we’re lost in the middle of a bamboo forest! Lord help us!” Siwon got down to his knees.

 

“No way!” Kyuhyun waved his arms in the air, dropping the last bag of dry leaves and the water sprinkler. “No way am I going to miss Starcraft specials tonight!”

 

“What the hell is your game even about?”

 

“Shut up!” Kyuhyun was now jumping up and down, hair frenzied and like a mad man. “I’m calling Donghae!”

 

“Hold up! I’ve got a signal!”

 


 

A small buzz in Donghae’s pocket, and he reached down to check his phone. Seeing the caller ID, he smirked again.

 

“Is anything wrong, Hae?”

 

Donghae immediately switched his phone off and looked up into his baby’s confused gaze.

 

“Nothing’s wrong baby. Just look at that beautiful sunset.”

 

Two steaming dishes of steak were served.

 

“Hae, what a perfect date.”