Chen's Love Song

The Twelve Short Stories of Exomas
The melody of the song doesn't sound good enough. I need to try harder. I need to sing louder. I need more emotion...
Quietly, I break the song. A beautiful duet. One that we used to sing.
 
Your voice echoes in my empty heart...
 
And it continues to echo each day. After you left me, the way I sing has drastically changed. Tones become harder to hit. My breath becomes shorter. It gets hard to release my voice without rain falling from my eyes.
 
I can see why you said love songs are overrated.
 
But this one can't be. I've been sitting here, trying to complete the chorus. The verses are done -- but no matter how many words I write down for the chorus, it just doesn't seem to fit right.
This duet is beginning to turn into a solo.
It's getting hard to breathe again. I close my eyes, put my hands to my heart and I can feel the quickening beats. Pain becomes heavier. My shoulders heave. Stop... Please stop...
 
Ah... That's better...
 
I open my eyes to a world, covered in white. Where am I?
 
Snow falls from each end of the blank landscape. Icy crystals implanted into the ground behind me. Sharp like your words.
My time has finally come, hasn't it?
I'm all alone here. Not another human soul exists here. Just me. You don't exist here.
 
But did you ever exist to begin with...?