Settling In

Endearing

Anna sat on the edge of her new bed in her new dorm, and her laptop. Pulling up the internet, she opened a new email and began typing to Hazel back in England. She wrote about how disgustingly boring the plane journey was, and how she despised being stuck on a plane with a screaming child behind her for the entire journey. Why would anyone bring a baby on such a long flight?!

She also wrote about Hongki – her new friend. Although the boy had seemed uninterested and detached at the airport, once they had started talking they seemed to really click together. Anna was really happy to have found a friend so quickly.

Upon arriving at the school, Hongki had taken her straight to her dorm and left her to settle in, promising to return later and give her a tour once she’d had time to relax and unpack. She was grateful for this as the whole trip had been exhausting!

Finishing up the email, Anna put her laptop down and reclined on the bed with her arms behind her head, staring at the ceiling. Everything seemed so new and different to England, and she knew she’d barely scratched the surface. Even her dorm was strange – she wasn’t used to being in a shared dorm, preferring her own room back in England. She guessed her roommates would be in sometime soon, so she’d better be ready to greet them.

Covering her eyes with one arm, Anna started to drift to sleep…. Only to be woken by a banging at her door. Sitting up confused, she looked around with hazy eyes trying to work out where she was. Slowly it dawned on her…

“Oh yeah… Korea…” She fell out of bed and padded across to the door and opened it, to reveal 2 guys stood outside.

Expecting to see Hongki, Anna was surprised when she realises she didn’t know either of them – a rather tall boy with light brown hair and glasses, and a slightly taller one with soft looking brown hair and a casual appearance.

“Er, hello?” She mumbled, confused.

“Anna?” The boy with glasses asked.

“Yeah…”

“Hello.” He dipped his head in greeting. “My name is Shim Changmin. I am here to give you a tour of our school.”

“Oh uh sure…” Anna suddenly realised what she must look like with a bed-head and still wearing her travel clothes, crumpled from the journey and impromptu sleep. Apparently the other guy had also noticed this, as he was staring rather intently at her with a slight smirk.

Face-palming obviously, Anna made a quick, and absolutely terrible, excuse.

“I’ll be out in a few minutes; I just need to sort something in my room.” She began retreating.

Changmin nodded, “Okay, we’ll wait here.”

Anna nodded and closed the door, running to her half-unpacked suitcase and digging through for some acceptable clothes, makeup and a hairbrush. Rushing to the adjoining bathroom, she quickly changed and flattened her hair… somewhat.

What was happening? She was sure Hongki had promised to give her a tour, not Changmin and his friend. Frowning, she continued to apply a light layer of makeup. Taking a final look at her relatively acceptable appearance, she grabbed her phone and shoved it into her pocket, and went back to the door.

Opening it, she said, “Okay! I’m ready to go.”

Changmin looked at her and nodded. “Good, let’s begin.”